Gender Discussion #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
4C3F269C-F5F9-4DA2-AA7F-DD75385DDEC9.png
I
3B58C190-E428-4782-8975-0C6121A70944.png
I know not entirely GC commentary, but it makes me die… where are the feminists?! Why is it down to women to sort this tit storm out? We’re a little busy being hit from all sides, you know?

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 21
I've had three female friends in their 40s re-label themselves as queer - they've all dyed their hair pastel with undercuts, and are preoccupied with everything pride/inclusivity related. Two of them are in heterosexual marriages. Most of the friendship group are scratching their heads behind the scenes. I get that someone's sexual preferences can sometimes evolve, but this feels different.
*Whispers* I think it is becuase social media trains us to think women in the 40s are no longer valued, and they see so many people labelling themselves as these new “exciting” “special” labels / deflection shields and they want a bit of that too. Sad really. But where else are 40 year old women learning about these things on such a scale? Facebook, instagram, marketing.

Lily Cole is a cretin, that Instagram post she did was horrendous timing. She’s married isn’t she? In a hetero relationship... why is she pretending to be different than what she is? Relevancy, I’m sure. Backfired on her though, good.

• Sad
Reactions: 17
Each trans person speaks for all trans people. If you doubt one trans persons claims, then you must universally hate all trans people.

Reactions: 6
I feel especially sad today about having no friends or peers my age who share my worries about this. As grateful as I am for this thread and my radfem mum, both keep me sane, I don’t think I know a single person of my age group who sees the danger for women in this like I do.
What ages are here? I’m 23
I’m early 30s. The only people I speak to about this is my mum, and my husband, but with my husband i have to choose my moments because if I go on about it he thinks I’m affecting my mental health reading about it :rolleyes: He agrees with me but the tolerance for how much to talk about it is low. I’m not a person who has a large group of friends, instead I have lots of acquaintences and I’ve drifted off from a lot of old uni friends as we’ve grown apart. I see their posts on social media though and they are very pro, and I am critical. So I have noone in real life to talk to outside of family :(

I went to uni, they’re nothing like in the early 2000s now. They’re absolute bear pits, with speakers being deplatformed and no real debate taking place. They’re businesses first and foremost, academic settings second.
A localish uni to me has just advertised for a handful of voluntary LGBTQ+ positions for a new task force for LGBTQ+ awareness. :rolleyes: Sounds like it will be all about the TQ+ though. Students will probably get bombarded with awareness events, lectures, mailings:rolleyes: It will be almost inescapable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
The Afghanistan situation is so dire. I keep thinking that it only needs a critical mass of men to want it, and the same thing could happen anywhere. Honestly, I think it would only need a few thousand men to reach a tipping point. There are some good men out there of course, but not nearly enough. I think a lot of them would secretly love it if we had to retire from the workforce and not move around freely. I genuinely believe it.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
The Afghanistan situation is so dire. I keep thinking that it only needs a critical mass of men to want it, and the same thing could happen anywhere. Honestly, I think it would only need a few thousand men to reach a tipping point. There are some good men out there of course, but not nearly enough. I think a lot of them would secretly love it if we had to retire from the workforce and not move around freely. I genuinely believe it.
As do I. I think it bothers a lot of men when women do better than them. I’ve seen it flash in some mens’ eyes when I have questioned something at work, for example.

Reactions: 14
I think the the comment in that screenshot about it should have been an army of women the US trained is a good point. Its the women who have the motivation to keep the taliban out.

*Whispers* I think it is becuase social media trains us to think women in the 40s are no longer valued, and they see so many people labelling themselves as these new “exciting” “special” labels / deflection shields and they want a bit of that too. Sad really. But where else are 40 year old women learning about these things on such a scale? Facebook, instagram, marketing.
Agreed. I think the label also creates some distance from 'cis,' and 'cishet.'

Reactions: 4
I will shout it til I’m blue in the face - get off social media. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. All of it. It’s overloading, influencing beliefs and behaviour and making people mentally ill. Particularly young people. Particularly women.

Forums like these with anonymity I feel are different, they are easier to walk away from, but I still don’t like the validation addiction with the reaction function (although I find it useful to acknowledge posts without having to reply).

Reactions: 15
I will shout it til I’m blue in the face - get off social media. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. All of it. It’s overloading, influencing beliefs and behaviour and making people mentally ill. Particularly young people. Particularly women.

Forums like these with anonymity I feel are different, they are easier to walk away from, but I still don’t like the validation addiction with the reaction function (although I find it useful to acknowledge posts without having to reply).
Ah I just reacted to this but was more in complete agreement with what you said.

Personally I ignore the notifications on here and follow threads I'm watching - I don't really care about the reactions

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Ah I just reacted to this but was more in complete agreement with what you said.

Personally I ignore the notifications on here and follow threads I'm watching - I don't really care about the reactions
I find it odd that people actually care about reactions, we're a bunch of strangers that wouldn't recognise each other in person. I'm probably really annoying on SM as I tend to write what I think and then move on, I certainly don't get into a row with a complete stranger, I've got far better things to do irl.

I’m sick of the ‘where are the feminists’ comments in relation to Afghanistan, I don’t know what these people are smoking because my social media feeds are chock full of feminists talking about it. The feminist ‘men’ who only seem to acknowledge feminism when it’s about trans people are strangely silent though, almost like they’re not feminists at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I feel especially sad today about having no friends or peers my age who share my worries about this. As grateful as I am for this thread and my radfem mum, both keep me sane, I don’t think I know a single person of my age group who sees the danger for women in this like I do.
What ages are here? I’m 23
I’m 27! Don’t worry there’s definitely a lot of people who think this way but don’t voice it.. I don’t voice it with my friends because I think some of them would have opposing views to me and I feel so passionately about it that I don’t want an argument lol, I did have a bit of a debate with one of my friends about it who has a totally naive view of it and I did get really enraged lol mostly because she just wasn’t educated on the goings on and took a ‘live and let live approach’. Luckily I have my sisters who are 31 who are in agreement with me

Reactions: 5
There was a 'scandal' at my uni either this year or last, I can't remember. Long story short, my uni is very much how everyone has been describing them in this thread. We have a feminist soc which is very TWAW, so another soc established themselves for women who disagreed but wanted to avoid confrontation and just have a safe space to talk about issues facing themselves and women in general. The society's policy was women only, understandably. They were doing a series of zoom talks about sexual assault and a trans woman showed up, interrupted, and refused to leave. It was really distressing for everyone, considering it was meant to be a safe space in general let alone whilst talking about such a sensitive topic. Yet the society was slammed for kicking the trans woman out. The story was in local newspapers and even went to the uni board etc. It was horrific. Women, even when doing so peacefully, are not allowed their own spaces anymore.
it is such a typical male attitude to interupt like this, as I have said I go to lots of women's/feminist lectures etc, which are usually 90+% female, yet the questions/comments at the end tend to be about 50/50 male female, often with the men expressing a grievance that there are no men on the panel

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I’m 27! Don’t worry there’s definitely a lot of people who think this way but don’t voice it.. I don’t voice it with my friends because I think some of them would have opposing views to me and I feel so passionately about it that I don’t want an argument lol, I did have a bit of a debate with one of my friends about it who has a totally naive view of it and I did get really enraged lol mostly because she just wasn’t educated on the goings on and took a ‘live and let live approach’. Luckily I have my sisters who are 31 who are in agreement with me
Most of us on here have a live and let live attitude, problem is TRA's don't, we should all bend to their will. I really don't care how someone chooses to live and love but don't try and gaslight me into enabling the delusion that TWAW, they aren't, they are men living as a very narrow concept of what a woman is. I have a young trans woman come through my station and I honestly find it hard not to laugh at them, the way they walk, the way they carry their handbag, the pink frilly clothing etc, honestly its hilariously sad. A very narrow idea of what they think a woman is and what will make them appear feminine.

Reactions: 11
Most of us on here have a live and let live attitude, problem is TRA's don't, we should all bend to their will. I really don't care how someone chooses to live and love but don't try and gaslight me into enabling the delusion that TWAW, they aren't, they are men living as a very narrow concept of what a woman is. I have a young trans woman come through my station and I honestly find it hard not to laugh at them, the way they walk, the way they carry their handbag, the pink frilly clothing etc, honestly its hilariously sad. A very narrow idea of what they think a woman is and what will make them appear feminine.
Yeah I’m all for live and let live.. when it’s realistic, the problem is a lot of people like that are living in fairy land where the world is made up of rainbows and unicorns, not realising that real life human beings are being affected in a negative way

Yeah I’m all for live and let live.. when it’s realistic, the problem is a lot of people like that are living in fairy land where the world is made up of rainbows and unicorns, not realising that real life human beings are being affected in a negative way
They know it, they just don't care as their needs take precedence. Society needs to get a grip and stop treating children like emperors.

I might get stick for this, but I’d go as far as to say we need to stop pummelling kids with the entire “be kind” “be tolerant” bullshittery too.

I don’t want my daughter to be tolerant, or kind, at someone’s say so. It’s submissive and she’s already timid. I want her to have empathy for others, but to use her own moral fortitude and confidence to decide what is right and wrong.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
I might get stick for this, but I’d go as far as to say we need to stop pummelling kids with the entire “be kind” “be tolerant” bullshittery too.

I don’t want my daughter to be tolerant, or kind, at someone’s say so. It’s submissive and she’s already timid. I want her to have empathy for others, but to use her own moral fortitude and confidence to decide what is right and wrong.
Absolutely this. The BeKind shite gets directed towards girls mostly as well, so even worse. We need encourage kids to be confident without arrogance. We also need to stop dismissing girls and women with the notion that emotional=stupid, because at the moment society says emotional = woman = stupid/subordinate.

Your daughter is lucky to have you as her guide 💕

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.