Gender Discussion #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m 26 and feel like one of the only people my age who thinks like this
I'm the same age and feel exactly the same as you! So many friends/family around my age are all JKR is a TERF/TWAW types so I keep quiet because I'm not quite ready for that debate with them. Maybe one day... Here feels safer and I lurk a lot because it makes me feel less isolated in my opinions than on Twitter/offline

Reactions: 15
I'm 34. I have no friends but thankfully my husband (35) shares these views with me and we talk about it with each other.

Reactions: 7
I feel especially sad today about having no friends or peers my age who share my worries about this. As grateful as I am for this thread and my radfem mum, both keep me sane, I don’t think I know a single person of my age group who sees the danger for women in this like I do.
What ages are here? I’m 23
I'm 30 and I'd say almost all of my friends are very much on the TWAW side. I don't bother discussing it with them. One of my best friends transitioned to male a few years ago which was never an issue for me but he is understandably very vocal about trans issues so it has put a strain on our friendship. A couple of friends (gay men) are similar to him, but one has made some interesting points about twomen so there might be something there - ultimately though I don't want to rock the boat and say anything.

Reactions: 9
I'm 34. I have no friends but thankfully my husband (35) shares these views with me and we talk about it with each other.
I think we are the exact same person!

I have a 4 year old daughter whose future I'm terrified for.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I wonder if urban/rural affects how you view things? Most of my rural friends are GC, but city ones are TRAs.

my Step daughter is 19, and pressured by her friends at uni (ultra woke irritants who know it all) to not be straight because it’s “not normal”. They harass her about shopping at fast fashion places like Shein (it’s all she can afford), to go vegan, be a communist etc. They’re very vocal about TWAW, step daughter is on the fence but gets torn a strip if she argues back.

honestly, universities are vile. They’ve always been left leaning and prone to producing individuals with condescending attitudes, but they’re inundated with unbearable, oppressively opinionated c*nts now.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
I’m 30 and feel the same. It’s hard to gauge how people feel on this because I feel like people around my age could swing either way, if that makes sense? We didn’t grow up with this stuff being everywhere but plenty of people I know got on the twaw bandwagon in their early/mid 20’s.
Agreed, I (pre lockdown) attended lots of feminist evetns/talks etc, and had always just accepted that "trans women are women etc" as they all seemed to be ssaying this, having been in lockdown, reading a lot here etc and thought about it more I have realised how insane the whole thing is becoming. I would never dream of voicing such a concern at any of these events though. Also the fact that somehow trans women seem to be put on the same level as women of colour makes 0 sense to me, I totally agree with intersectionality, I don;t think anyone could deny that, but when has anyone said women of colour are not women?

I think we are the exact same person!

I have a 4 year old daughter whose future I'm terrified for.
hoepfully by the time she is older this madness willl be over, I would be more worried if I had a early teenage daughter tbh (I don't have children but this is what I imagine)

I wonder if urban/rural affects how you view things? Most of my rural friends are GC, but city ones are TRAs.

my Step daughter is 19, and pressured by her friends at uni (ultra woke irritants who know it all) to not be straight because it’s “not normal”. They harass her about shopping at fast fashion places like Shein (it’s all she can afford), to go vegan, be a communist etc. They’re very vocal about TWAW, step daughter is on the fence but gets torn a strip if she argues back.

honestly, universities are vile. They’ve always been left leaning and prone to producing individuals with condescending attitudes, but they’re inundated with unbearable, oppressively opinionated c*nts now.
I disgree with the comment about universities, I think they have generally been (if left leaning) places for debate, I am left leaning but it makes me angry that this trans (anti women in lots of ways ) issue is being considered left wing, as I have mentioned my mum (and seemingly a lot of other people's here) who grew up, maybe went to uni, in the 60s/70s are now horrified at what is happening, all the rights they fought for are being eroded by a tiny minority

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
I’m 31 and I’ve not really discussed anything gender wise with the few friends I’ve got so I’m not really sure where they stand. I think they probably sit more on the clueless end than TWAW. The only people I have spoken about such matters are two ladies from my church (both my parents generation so late 50’s/early 60’s) and both having worked in education. They both can see a correlation between children who struggle with gender and those who are on or suspected to be on the autism spectrum. But never anything else on a deep level.

There’s two people people from my past (sixth form age friends... don’t really interact or speak to either of them. They’re just there although both are muted on insta/twitter.) They are both gay men who are very brainwashed by TWAW. However one is far worse than the other(I’ve spoke about him in the GenX thread). Very I’m right you’re wrong won’t have any kind of open discourse not just on trans issues but quite literally EVERYTHING. Very very arrogant(possibly the most arrogant person I’ve come across). He’s an able bodied white man and doesn’t believe white male privilege applies to him because he’s gay. He’s not the dorky wannabe goth I used to be close friends with anymore.

I disgree with the comment about universities, I think they have generally been (if left leaning) places for debate, I am left leaning but it makes me angry that this trans (anti women in lots of ways ) issue is being considered left wing, as I have mentioned my mum (and seemingly a lot of other people's here) who grew up, maybe went to uni, in the 60s/70s are now horrified at what is happening, all the rights they fought for are being eroded by a tiny minority
I went to uni, they’re nothing like in the early 2000s now. They’re absolute bear pits, with speakers being deplatformed and no real debate taking place. They’re businesses first and foremost, academic settings second.

Reactions: 11
I was reading comments under the clip of the Taliban saying that they will 'guarantee women's rights under Islam', most of the comments were saying 'so that means zero rights then' but there's always one...

Screenshot 2021-08-17 21.41.03.png

1 - She lives in London and has an MBA, I doubt she would be willing to emigrate to Afghanistan
2 - The women won't have any choice if they want to accept the 'new' version of the Taliban - they accept it or they die

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 18
I went to uni, they’re nothing like in the early 2000s now. They’re absolute bear pits, with speakers being deplatformed and no real debate taking place. They’re businesses first and foremost, academic settings second.
oh yeah no I agree with that totally, I meant the poster said they had "always" been like this (sorry if I mis -read) also (as I have said as someone left wing I don't view anything inherently wrong with being so). I work in something related to higher education, not just this but the shady financial things I have to deal with are just awful. This is part of the issue with unis moving from being for education/public good to a business imo, students feel they are paying for a "service" so have a right to have any whim they feel listened to

• Heart
I'm 28 and thankfully have the same views on this as the majority of my family and my boyfriend.
My brother in law has just announced he is now uncomfortable with being called man and will be they/them. He is married to my brother and is always a complete victim. Now being gay isn't enough to single him out he needs another label. He is saying he does not identify with binary societal norms....

• Wow
I was reading comments under the clip of the Taliban saying that they will 'guarantee women's rights under Islam', most of the comments were saying 'so that means zero rights then' but there's always one...

View attachment 717492
1 - She lives in London and has an MBA, I doubt she would be willing to emigrate to Afghanistan
2 - The women won't have any choice if they want to accept the 'new' version of the Taliban - they accept it or they die
I cannot even look at twitter anymore about this, yes I am sure the afghan women confined to their houses because they have been scrambling to buy burkahs they did not previously have and then couldn't not find will be thrilled. No one I know (in the UK) who is Muslim, male or female, agree with what is happening there. This is not an "islamaphobic" issue and I am sick of it being described as such, it is a human rights issue, this just furthers islamaphobia in the west. These women should be free to decide what they wear, I do not care what anyone wears, burka or bikini, the point is the free choice, which clearly these women do not have if a "government" is telling them to do so.

I'm 28 and thankfully have the same views on this as the majority of my family and my boyfriend.
My brother in law has just announced he is now uncomfortable with being called man and will be they/them. He is married to my brother and is always a complete victim. Now being gay isn't enough to single him out he needs another label. He is saying he does not identify with binary societal norms....
how does your brother feel about this? must be a weird situation for him?

how does your brother feel about this? must be a weird situation for him?
Well he chose to announce it on social media ... so we are waiting for the face to face to happen. My brother is a very peaceful person who hates drama. But in the last year I have seen such a change. Its so sad to me. They are plugging this narrative of if you are not out there marching and giving up your rights for the lgbt community then you are every kind of 'phobic' going.

They are cutting more and more people out of their lives because of differing views and recently I made a post about them uninviting anyone who voted Conservative to their wedding!!!

Its sad to watch my sweet natured reserved brother being almost brainwashed by this entire movement but again, its his fault too. His husband has always thrived on being victimised/different and takes offence to almost anything so its very difficult.

At my wits end really on how to have a decent relationship with them without completely compromising myself or what I believe.

I also worry about having children. Trying to raise them in this current situation going on in the world.

I will call them whatever they want to be called because I am a polite person and quite frankly it makes no difference to me. But I will not change what I believe about gender/sex to coddle their feelings. Facts don't care about feelings.

Sorry to ramble! Its nice to know I'm not going crazy and there are people of similar minds. I think we are a quieter group because if you are vocal about it there are alot of insults they try to throw on you which is enough to shut any conversation down.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
I cannot even look at twitter anymore about this, yes I am sure the afghan women confined to their houses because they have been scrambling to buy burkahs they did not previously have and then couldn't not find will be thrilled. No one I know (in the UK) who is Muslim, male or female, agree with what is happening there. This is not an "islamaphobic" issue and I am sick of it being described as such, it is a human rights issue, this just furthers islamaphobia in the west. These women should be free to decide what they wear, I do not care what anyone wears, burka or bikini, the point is the free choice, which clearly these women do not have if a "government" is telling them to do so.
There has been a trend in the left wing to give conservative Islam a pass that they wouldn't give conservative Christians. I think what helps fuel is the fact that the racist and anti-secular Christian right-wing tends to target these communities, so it then becomes 'right wing' to be down on Islam when it wouldn't be to be down on Christianity.

On the universities, when I went to uni in the mid to late 00's, I remember being friends with people who had differing views or who voted conservative. I might not have been their best friends, but we chatted in class and had healthy discussions on our differing opinions. I have a friend who is at uni now and they describe it as it feeling like a powder keg that's about to go off and that you're just trying to do your best to avoid it.

There was a 'scandal' at my uni either this year or last, I can't remember. Long story short, my uni is very much how everyone has been describing them in this thread. We have a feminist soc which is very TWAW, so another soc established themselves for women who disagreed but wanted to avoid confrontation and just have a safe space to talk about issues facing themselves and women in general. The society's policy was women only, understandably. They were doing a series of zoom talks about sexual assault and a trans woman showed up, interrupted, and refused to leave. It was really distressing for everyone, considering it was meant to be a safe space in general let alone whilst talking about such a sensitive topic. Yet the society was slammed for kicking the trans woman out. The story was in local newspapers and even went to the uni board etc. It was horrific. Women, even when doing so peacefully, are not allowed their own spaces anymore.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
Amazing how we all lived for thousands of years of "misogyny and the anti-woman rhetoric" without WOMEN becoming mass murderers though...
Women don't commit violent crimes at the same rate because they can't. They don't have the physical strength or high testosterone to lower inhibition.

Take these factors out of it and you'll find we're every bit as violent as men: men and women kill children everywhere in the world in an equal split.

---

Sorry what is TRA, TWAW, WAW?

Is there a glossary somewhere?

I think what helps fuel is the fact that the racist and anti-secular Christian right-wing tends to target these communities.
Christians are naturally anti-secular but I've never ever found them to be racist.

hoepfully by the time she is older this madness willl be over
For sure. These lunatics are operating on borrowed time. I really want to see jail time for some of these doctors doing a Goebbels on little kids. HUGE amounts of money in trans surgery by the way. It's an enormous cash cow. Plus the government gives hospitals and doctors bonuses on top.

Its sad to watch my sweet natured reserved brother being almost brainwashed by this entire movement but again, its his fault too.
This sounds so hard, I'm so sorry. I don't know what I'd do in your situation. I guess, like him, I'd surround myself with people of shared values.

Sanity would also factor quite high up in my list of requirements in friends and family, unless the insane person was seeking help rather than try to co-opt me into their insanity.

I wish there was a real life community for people with our beliefs but HNH and Plod would probably label us a terrorist group, they're so corrupt.

I feel especially sad today about having no friends or peers my age who share my worries about this. As grateful as I am for this thread and my radfem mum, both keep me sane, I don’t think I know a single person of my age group who sees the danger for women in this like I do.
What ages are here? I’m 23
I'm a decade older than you but am often around your age group on a course I'm doing. Even the potential allies have shut off all thought or feeling and walk around like weird asleep people. Easier to be comatose than aware. Maybe get into communities where these things don't come up. Rarely hear about this stuff when I go karting or play tennis or learn about gardening or DIY. As for those who agree, I don't know. Even religious people are forced to pay lip service so going to church or synagogue is no sure bet. It depends where you are. Try and get out of city centres.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I'm 34, and I very rarely discuss gender issues with people I know.

The people I know who are most vocal about TWAW are gay men, while the only people I know who advertise their pronouns are straight women. I have a trans friend who never talks about pronouns, just gets on with things!

I think a lot of people default to the TRA position without really thinking about it, because it seems to be on the "good" side, and we like to see the world as a simple, black and white place.

There was a big scandal a few years ago with Chrysallis, which is essentially the Spanish version of Mermaids. They had materials for schools which said "there are boys with penises and boys with vulvas, there are girls with vulvas and girls with penises". This led to Hazte Oir, a Catholic lobby group, painting "boys have penises, girls have vulvas, don't let them trick you" on the side of buses. The thing is...Hazte Oir is a really unpleasant group with a history of campaigning aggressively against abortion, gay marriage, and even the presence of same-sex couples in TV ads. So many people would unthinkingly support the Chrysallis group, just because Hazte Oir opposed it. And it becomes difficult to say "well, I don't agree with Chrysallis" because in doing so, you seem to be allying yourself with a group of bigots.

Because of this, people miss the nuance; in this case, the Chrysallis imagery shows boys as being people with penises or vulvas and short hair, while girls can have penises or vulvas but must have long hair. The difference between the sexes is...hairstyle. And this is seen as the progressive stance, based solely on who opposes it!

I'm putting the actual material Chrysallis used under a spoiler. It shows crudely-drawn cartoon genitals, so may not be suitable to open, depending on where you are.

Chrysallis-3-424x600 (1).jpg

Translation:

There are girls with vulvas...and girls with penises.
There are boys with vulvas...and boys with penises.

The genitals of each girl and each boy are different.
There are penises and vulvas of all different appearances, just like other body parts!
And sometimes there are also genitals that don't look like a penis or a vulva, or that look like both.

• Wow
  • Sad
Christians are naturally anti-secular but I've never ever found them to be racist.
I'm sure many moderate Christians understand the value of separation between church and state. I'm talking about the far right types, particularly in America, who are adamant about having 'in god we trust' on the money or who freakout because someone swore into Congress on a book that wasn't the bible. The type who abused or attacked your average Muslim person after 9/11 etc. That kind of person.

Reactions: 6
I think a lot of people default to the TRA position without really thinking about it, because it seems to be on the "good" side, and we like to see the world as a simple, black and white place.

I absolutely agree with you. This has obviously been going on for decades before Trump was in office but I think this black/white good/evil is at play with trans rights as well. "Trump hates trans people? I must 100% support every trans person because I don't want people to think I agree with his other policies." You see the same thing with his other views, for instance, Islamophobia - "Oh, Trump hates Muslim people? I must 100% support every Muslim person, even those with extremist views that conflict with my other beliefs on women's rights and gay rights. Otherwise people will think I agree with Trump."

Most people used to grow out of this good/evil thinking - I used to walk around wearing an anti Bush t-shirt when I was a teenager - but with the rise of social media it is much easier to both keep 'tabs' on people and to block anyone disagrees with you. When you don't meet people with alternative views and have calm, rational conversations in an actual safe space (where you don't have to worry about people cancelling you five years from now because you talked to them), then neither of you can grow.

Reactions: 16
i was thinking why ‘women’ can have penises and we’re getting that drilled into us, but ‘men’ can’t have breasts 🤔

obviously we know the answer 😂

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.