Gender Discussion #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That's the thing about puberty blockers as well - here in the UK we're going to have 16 year old who have reached the age of consent, but have been on blockers since before puberty and are therefore less mentally and physically developed. Doesn't take a genius to work out what group of people might take a serious interest in that :(

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 18
Parents want to be their childrens friends and indulge them, rather than prepare them for the harsh realities of life.
I'm kind of seeing this within my family dynamic right now. I'm only 30 and not even a parent but I think it's important for kids to learn how to be uncomfortable and understand they might not get what they want -- at least right away. And they might fail at things, over and over sometimes.

There's someone in my family who is coming up for 20 this year and she can't be uncomfortable or experience uncomfortable emotions without looking to her mum to fix it for her - that often looks like buying her something or taking her somewhere. Sometimes this involves the extended family to come together to find a solution to make this one person happy, but of course she's a bottomless pit that just wants more.

I think overindulgence is the issue and being treated as the absolute centre of attention/most important person. I imagine it's a rude awakening when those dynamics don't apply outside of the family. I personally think it makes for people who have narcissistic traits. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 19
Does anyone think there is substance to the theory that gender dysphoria has been changed from a mental illness to something requiring expensive lifetime medication and ever increasing surgical intervention at the behest of Big Pharma and unscrupulous medical practitioners? Something has driven this change.
Yes, something has driven this change and I think the consensus is that it’s men. AGP men. Who else would wield that kind of power (the power to declassify gender dysphoria as a mental illness, that is), other than men? And this started a long time ago, it’s not a new thing.

Unscrupulous people in the medical profession embraced it for sure, but ultimately this was driven by men who wanted to live out their paraphilia free of the stigma of being labelled mentally ill or a fetishist.

Reactions: 8
So in America, you can now join the army and go to war, buy a gun, go under experimental surgeries and change your sex, buy a house, get into 100 of thousands worth of debt, have a baby, be a sex worker ALL BEFORE YOU CAN LEGALLY BUY A VODKA LEMONADE!

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
I think the issue is so complex and varied that it can't be pin pointed to one thing. Big pharma and APG s are definitely jumping on the band wagon to suit their own agendas.

There is definitely a sinister under current of homophobia. Society has never really accepted effeminate gay men or butch women. I think people find it easier to pretend those people are born in the wrong body than to accept that the gender stereotypes we base our society on are wrong.
I think there's also a factor of people doing it because they can. Look at tattoos, once upon a time they were very taboo. Now most people have at least one. So kids now want to jump straight in to having hands, necks and faces tattood. Why because they can.

Reactions: 12
I agree that a lot of kids are taught that they must always be a winner and adults are afraid to call out bad behaviour. Something has changed in the past 15 years because when I was a teenager, teachers told you off and parents told you off for being selfish or bratty. Now, some kids (like those on tiktok) look like they've never been told "no" in their life. They don't seem to do empathy either, i.e. misogynists don't seem to empathise with 51% of population.

Reactions: 8
very OT but has anyone watched the new gossip girl? it is on bbc iplayer, there is an interesting storyline in which one guy has 2 gay parents, one dresses quite "feminine" (no hint of trans) I think it this is great tbh

Reactions: 5
There are three girls within a 500m radius of my house who think they are boys, all a bit odd, probs with self diagnosed mental issues (for attention I think as the issues change weekly), slight loners. They have never considered they are maybe lesbians. Just don’t fit in, then gone online and been brainwashed into thinking this will solve all their issues. Misery loves company and the detransitioners seem to be silenced, as they don’t have the same online presence. The girls parents are all horrified, it happened suddenly in teen hood, no signs all through childhood. This is clearly social contagion. The schools pander to it and seem to almost encourage it.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
There are three girls within a 500m radius of my house who think they are boys, all a bit odd, probs with self diagnosed mental issues (for attention I think as the issues change weekly), slight loners. They have never considered they are maybe lesbians. Just don’t fit in, then gone online and been brainwashed into thinking this will solve all their issues. Misery loves company and the detransitioners seem to be silenced, as they don’t have the same online presence. The girls parents are all horrified, it happened suddenly in teen hood, no signs all through childhood. This is clearly social contagion. The schools pander to it and seem to almost encourage it.
I literally have got into fights with teenage family members for self diagnosing themselves, even though I keep telling them “You can’t be diagnosed with such problems as your brain has yet to develop fully” they refuse to listen to me. I understand that teenagers and children can suffer from depression and anxiety but they can’t say they have it unless a medical professional says they have it, especially when it comes to such mental illnesses such as bipolar.

Also, with the lesbian thing, I have noticed that a lot of trans men tend to be lesbians who can’t cope with the pressure and the general mistreatment of being a girl who likes girls, so if they’re a boy who likes girls, they’re not gonna get any hassle.

Anything to be different.

Reactions: 7
Jesus, I'm watching the Athletics meet from last night and the commentary for the 5000m is gut wrenching. There is a DSD athlete in the race and all they are talking about is how awful it's been for her, duck the women having to race against a bleeping man

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000z8td/athletics-diamond-league-2021-paris Starts at the 22 minute mark but the commentary gets really awful aftr the halfway point. I've just listened to it and I'm close to tears.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
very OT but has anyone watched the new gossip girl? it is on bbc iplayer, there is an interesting storyline in which one guy has 2 gay parents, one dresses quite "feminine" (no hint of trans) I think it this is great tbh
One of the main actresses is a transwoman. I watched the first episode and her voice gave it away for me, so i did a google (https://www.seventeen.com/celebrity/movies-tv/a37037384/who-is-luna-la-gossip-girl/)

I haven't watched anymore of the series yet. But I too like the idea of those parents! Making it 'normal' for people to just express themselves how they wish etc.

Reactions: 4
One of the main actresses is a transwoman. I watched the first episode and her voice gave it away for me, so i did a google (https://www.seventeen.com/celebrity/movies-tv/a37037384/who-is-luna-la-gossip-girl/)

I haven't watched anymore of the series yet. But I too like the idea of those parents! Making it 'normal' for people to just express themselves how they wish etc.
I want to watch this now!

There's a US TV series called Work in Progress about a 40-something lesbian (frequently referred to as "queer" of course) falling in love with a transman in his early 20s. Kind of like Boy Meets Girl in that respect but I wonder how genderists would spin this? Would they admit the trans love interest is in fact a lesbian or say that the protagonist isn't really gay?

Reactions: 5
I'm kind of seeing this within my family dynamic right now. I'm only 30 and not even a parent but I think it's important for kids to learn how to be uncomfortable and understand they might not get what they want -- at least right away. And they might fail at things, over and over sometimes.

There's someone in my family who is coming up for 20 this year and she can't be uncomfortable or experience uncomfortable emotions without looking to her mum to fix it for her - that often looks like buying her something or taking her somewhere. Sometimes this involves the extended family to come together to find a solution to make this one person happy, but of course she's a bottomless pit that just wants more.

I think overindulgence is the issue and being treated as the absolute centre of attention/most important person. I imagine it's a rude awakening when those dynamics don't apply outside of the family. I personally think it makes for people who have narcissistic traits. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Abgail Shrier talked a bit about this in her book. She thinks some Gen X parents in the US are sort of over-therapising some kids, like she mentioned someone getting a counsellor for their daughter because she was upset about her guinea pig dying. Therapy is really useful, I've done it and it's helped me a lot, but sometimes I think we over-diagnose or pathologise normal human ranges of emotion. The guinea pig situation is something where it was the parents job to model appropriate behaviour and you could say a good opportunity to prepare your child to deal better with grief in the future. Sending your kid to a therapist over it could basically make the incident bigger and bigger in the child's head and you are also rather out-sourcing the parenting to the therapist.

One thing I noticed over this last hellish year and a half, is this idea that you can't just feel down. You have to do something to stop it - go for a walk in nature being the frustrating go-to advice. There are times over the last year where I felt really tit, and I tried to do the 'wellbeing' stuff. I tried to go for a walk but just felt tit on the walk rather than in the house. I then decided to take another tack. Instead of trying hard to fix the feeling bad, I decided just to allow myself to feel tit. So I'd mope around feeling down and what I found is that I got the feeling tit out of the way and once I'd done that then I felt more functional. Sometimes you just have to sit with feeling crap and get the feeling crap done with rather than pushing and pushing it away. And there are times where feeling tit is a completely normal and rational response - like when you've been isolated for months on end due to a pandemic.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.