GB News

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The irony being the censors fail to see they are the oppressive Establishment.
Both sides of the so-called Culture War are as bad as either other insofar as they feed and need each other in order to survive and earn money for their respective corporate interests. As per usual it's the moderate, quiet, thoughtful people in the centre-ground that suffer. I heard someone say that winning the Culture War would be like winning an earthquake. GB News is quite an oddity which shouldn't be taken to seriously imo, but I'm glad it exists so it can be scrutinised in the open and mocked or praised for the various views it presents to its audience.

Reactions: 4
Both sides of the so-called Culture War are as bad as either other insofar as they feed and need each other in order to survive and earn money for their respective corporate interests. As per usual it's the moderate, quiet, thoughtful people in the centre-ground that suffer. I heard someone say that winning the Culture War would be like winning an earthquake. GB News is quite an oddity which shouldn't be taken to seriously imo, but I'm glad it exists so it can be scrutinised in the open and mocked or praised for the various views it presents to its audience.
Yes, this exactly.

I would like to see corporate interest, tendering and influence torn from politics. That would be an interesting shakedown. I don’t think people appreciate just how governed we are by mega business rather than votes.

Reactions: 2
Oh that all seems to have a mountain Farage was trying to make out of a molehill by the way. It seems like he simply didn't qualify for the type of bank account he had, so the bank wanted to transfer him to a different type of account and he refused, leading to his account simply being closed.

Ironically, reading between the lines it may be that he was using his personal account as a 'family' one which his kids could also withdraw money from. But that became a problem as they're not British residents so, post-Brexit, money keeping on being taken out of the account from within the EU became an issue for the bank. But like I say, it seems like he was simply offered a move to a type of account he could use for that sort of transaction and refused.

So, really, this is just one of those misplaced consumer complaints via social media that's writ larger, and stupider, than most.

(Meanwhile, whether there are tax implications for any income from their father that his grown up children haven't been declaring will be a matter for, I'm guessing, the German equivalent of inland revenue.)

Oh that all seems to have a mountain Farage was trying to make out of a molehill by the way. It seems like he simply didn't qualify for the type of bank account he had, so the bank wanted to transfer him to a different type of account and he refused, leading to his account simply being closed.
I wonder which bank account his fat EU pension gets paid into? :LOL: :rolleyes:

he wanted brexit and is anti unlimited immigration. I'm not sure how that is so evil.
Because if you are anti unlimited immigration then you obviously hate black and brown people and Muslims! Half joking, half not joking.
With Nigel - he doesn’t hate immigrants since he has been married to two non British women and had families with them. He just doesn’t believe having all and sundry allowed to come into the country is beneficial or safe. Which makes sense.

Because if you are anti unlimited immigration then you obviously hate black and brown people and Muslims! Half joking, half not joking.
With Nigel - he doesn’t hate immigrants since he has been married to two non British women and had families with them. He just doesn’t believe having all and sundry allowed to come into the country is beneficial or safe. Which makes sense.
I think he just likes being the centre of attention personally. Although, if you read about some of the stuff he got up to at college/uni it is quite bizarre ... I think the book is by Michael Crick if I recall.

Reactions: 3
Avid watcher of the breakfast show but why are they allowing Davina Taylor week after week on the newspaper review to promote her business?! It’s not what I want to hear. Does any other contributor get to promote their products?

Avid watcher of the breakfast show but why are they allowing Davina Taylor week after week on the newspaper review to promote her business?! It’s not what I want to hear. Does any other contributor get to promote their products?
I did wonder who exactly she is. Going on about Kombucha, eating meat etc. I'm fairly knowledgeable (no expert) about nutrition as I've had to be for health issues I've had, but her talking about buying frozen meat from a local farm etc is just unsustainable for the average person. Great for her she can do that, but the average person can't. Is her husband rich or something? What is her business?

I did wonder who exactly she is. Going on about Kombucha, eating meat etc. I'm fairly knowledgeable (no expert) about nutrition as I've had to be for health issues I've had, but her talking about buying frozen meat from a local farm etc is just unsustainable for the average person. Great for her she can do that, but the average person can't. Is her husband rich or something? What is her business?

Shen mentioned about a month ago that she sells bovine collagen at the same time as dismissing marine collagen. Then today said her business is also manufacturing MCT oil and then was allowed to go on about the benefits. There was a fact that she was wrong on, please forgive me as I have brain fog due to being 10 days post oophorectomy! But my husband who has a PhD in chemistry from imperial college called her out!

I'm just surprised that GB news just sit back and let her promote her wears in this way

Reactions: 1
Ofcom is investigating Jacob Rees-Mogg's GB News "State of the Nation" show for potentially breaking its rules on politicians acting as newsreaders.

They are also investigating a Talk TV show hosted by Alex Salmond over whether it was presented with due impartiality.

I've always found it difficult to reconcile that politicians can host newsy shows when they are often very close to the stories they are discussing. That said most are impeccably informed, bring with them unmatchable knowledge and in many cases are also excellent presenters.

Ofcom is investigating Jacob Rees-Mogg's GB News "State of the Nation" show for potentially breaking its rules on politicians acting as newsreaders.

They are also investigating a Talk TV show hosted by Alex Salmond over whether it was presented with due impartiality.

I've always found it difficult to reconcile that politicians can host newsy shows when they are often very close to the stories they are discussing. That said most are impeccably informed, bring with them unmatchable knowledge and in many cases are also excellent presenters.
Esther McVey has been walking a fine line for quite sometime too according to Private Eye.

Yeah i don't understand it. Farage was a sitting MEP while presenting LBC too i think. David Lammy being able to present a show on LBC always seemed odd to me.

Yeah i don't understand it. Farage was a sitting MEP while presenting LBC too i think. David Lammy being able to present a show on LBC always seemed odd to me.
I totally agree with you. They shouldn't be allowed to do it - only interviews and articles imo.

I don't think TalkTv and GB News will exist in a couple of years tbh.

Also, patrick christys is so annoying.

Last edited:
Also, patrick christys is so annoying.
Ugh, isn't he. He seems to really fancy himself though, not sure why. My guess it's all just bravado, bloke is a plonker. Plus he talked to a female freind of mine once and was an incredibly rude, arrogant prick to her, especially when she made it obvious she wasn't charmed by him. You know the type. The mind boggles what Emily Carver see's in him, she must have low self-esteem too. duck knows ... although narcs do tend to be attracted to other narcs.

• Wow
Apparently Ofcom are now investigating GBNews’s “Don’t kill cash” campaign. I don’t watch GBNews but I don’t see how this campaign could in anyway be seen as problematic other than by those whose objective it is to get rid of cash. It’s not politically motivated (I am however aware that this move was sparked by Nigel Farage’s bank accounts being shut down but the end goal of the campaign wouldn’t resort in a win for someone on one side of the political spectrum) and keeping cash as a form of currency/payment benefits everybody in this country, given fraud is on the rise and the elderly are being left behind in an increasing technologically-dependent world, despite the elderly population increasing. If anyone takes issue with this campaign I’d love to know why.

Apparently Ofcom are now investigating GBNews’s “Don’t kill cash” campaign. I don’t watch GBNews but I don’t see how this campaign could in anyway be seen as problematic other than by those whose objective it is to get rid of cash. It’s not politically motivated (I am however aware that this move was sparked by Nigel Farage’s bank accounts being shut down but the end goal of the campaign wouldn’t resort in a win for someone on one side of the political spectrum) and keeping cash as a form of currency/payment benefits everybody in this country, given fraud is on the rise and the elderly are being left behind in an increasing technologically-dependent world, despite the elderly population increasing. If anyone takes issue with this campaign I’d love to know why.
I think it's more to do with how GB News classes itself ... ie: News / Current affairs, if it classed itself as light entertainment it wouldn't matter. That's why OFCOM are getting a bit sniffy I suspect. That's my initial read anyway without having looked into it.

I have an issue with the campaign. Not because I want to get rid of cash, because I don't. My problem is rather that a news channel is campaigning in the first place. They should focus on reporting the news, not being the news. It was the same when Sky News ran campaigns on election debates. They shouldn't do it. It's not their job. (And Farage's account at Coutts was closed because he fell below the £3m minimum threshold)

Nice to see the chief crank get some pushback! He's entitled to his views of course but they are just so out there.

• Haha

I don't get how it's allowed for MPs to present shows on there. They're hardly unbiased.

Plus if my MP was mucking about with a show on there, I'd be writing to him to ask how that was helping our constituency.
---

Nice to see the chief crank get some pushback! He's entitled to his views of course but they are just so out there.
I love it! I remember when Neil Oliver was the cheery archaeologist and presenter on Coast (which I loved!) I look at him now and he seems a completely different person. I wonder what went wrong? Was it just that grifting on GB News paid more?

I love it! I remember when Neil Oliver was the cheery archaeologist and presenter on Coast (which I loved!) I look at him now and he seems a completely different person. I wonder what went wrong? Was it just that grifting on GB News paid more?
Yeah I know, it's unreal. Although he wasn't my cup of tea per se, he was really engaging as a tv presenter pottering around on Coast and explaining bones and stuff. Sure there must be a grifting element to it, but he clearly likes the limelight and I guess this is the best way he can get a gig on TV. He really does seem to buy into this conspiracy theory nonsense, but again, he is a pretty good presenter so it might just be an act. Then there's the age element, he's a bit older than me ... but it does seem that if a white man is going to leave the reservation it's going to happen somewhere between the ages of about 45 to 65 (see Huw). :LOL:

I read in Private Eye that the guy who bankrolls GB News wants to shift-away from people like Neil and his conspiracy theory stuff. As you say, he's entitled to his views, but I think the long game is to attract a broader audience and also to avoid more trouble from Ofcom. I guess we'll see over the coming months if that comes to pass.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.