Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Campari

Gary has admitted he went too far, but his ego doesn't let him say sorry. His choice really to get suspended.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

mcfeez

VIP Member
This is very good at explaining why it's inappropriate, insensitive (and hurtful) to make any reference to Nazi Germany.

I confronted Suella Braverman because as a Holocaust survivor I know what words of hate can do | Joan Salter | The Guardian

This survivor who educates on the Holocaust, called out Braverman for her language around immigrants earlier this year.

• Heart

sensibility

This Gary Lineker story/protest is one of the most boring, uncontroversial stories of my lifetime and the sooner it is over, the better

• Heart

Jaynefnw

Chatty Member
At least he's taken some of these people into his home.
He took one maybe two who would have been heavily vetted before they handed him them, the ones arriving and being housed in local hotels aren't, believe me my son works amongst these arrivals.
All these saying keep politics out of football would have no issue if he repeated the right wing rhetoric.
At least he put his money where his mouth is and welcomed a refugee into his home.
---

Asylum seekers aren't illegal. Illegal immigrants are smuggled in or outstay visas. They can't claim benefits or receive NHS treatment because they live under the radar.
Not true my son works with them they do receive NHS treatment, they all have twice a week GP clinics at the hotels, dentist appointments within 24hrs if they ask to see one. Alot work cash in hand, although it's against the rules but they can't be challenged about it, they also get £40 a week spending money which goes up the longer they are at the hotels. Free phone on arrival . And a lot more that isn't being reported on.

• Wow
  • Sad

Crusty_punk

I have no kids, I use private healthcare including dentist and get my bins emptied once in a blue moon.

More than happy for my salary deductions to go towards someone seeking asylum seen as though I'm not getting much out of it 😂

• Angry
  • Sick

Yel

Chatty Member
The "he's a freelancer" argument I don't think holds up. Like many people on mega high wages in media he's employed via a limited company to minimise tax.

He has a regular gig there and HMRC are actively pursuing him for £4.9 million as they believe he's an employee evading tax. It's hardly like he works there infrequently and irregularly. He's the highest paid person at the BBC and one of their main faces.

Maybe someone at the BBC was informed he was going to lose his tax case?

Salacious

Chatty Member
Agreed. We need immigration to support economic growth, just not at the uncontrolled rate which happens when you get legions of people traffickers bringing in people without advance notice. That’s why most countries have always had organised immigration systems, and that works well. Britain just doesn’t have the infrastructure in place to handle the numbers, including a disproportionate % of them as crims with priors. Glad I don’t live in a south coast community and really feel for everyone on the front lines.
Perhaps one of the lasting legacies of Thatcher (that Blair failed to correct) was turning our workforce from one that was highly skilled in manufacturing into a tertiary one. That became all too obvious during lockdown.

The bill that the Tories has put forward will not stop nor control immigration. The horse has bolted. You have to be naïve to think Britain could or should stop immigration. This is what a lot of the right-wing press and commentators don't comprehend. And even if the bill gets passed, Farage and co will continue to shift the goalposts, just like Brexit.

"We want to control our borders"

"We don't want xxx people"

"Only migrants from these countries"

When you stop immigration completely, and have an ageing population you risk becoming another Japan. Just Google 'lost decade'. Saying that the Japanese economy is full of innovation and productivity. Can we honestly say the same about Britain under a shambles of a government, who have destroyed thousands of lives because of austerity. The irony is the greatest export this country has is football.

Most of the issues facing this country (NHS, waiting times, housing shortages, crime, education standards), is down to this government and the policies they've pushed. 13 years, austerity and they have been lining the pockets of their chums. I find it funny how the GB News lot who bemoan how bad America is ("defund the police!"), want to import 'cancel culture' and 'woke' into the UK.

The BBC is another one of these institutions which has been stripped bare. The obsession over 'impartiality' will be its downfall. As is the obsession over 'balancing' issues. "If someone says it's raining, and another person says it's dry, it's not your job to quote them both," as someone quite rightly said! "Your job is to look out the f**king window and find out which is true."

I don't have any sympathy for the corporation. But anyone thinks that 'defunding' a public service broadcaster is the answer, and turn our broadcasting terrain into Murdoch's wet dream needs their head tested. 40 years ago it could've worked, but TV has become so dumbed-down and full of reactionary bait.

• Heart

PurvyPanda

VIP Member
If you can’t see the similarities with dehumanising language then I’m not sure you’ll ever see it. Nobody is arguing that the situation isn’t awful but the blame isn’t being correctly allocated. It’s a fabulous dead cat for the government though especially due to the number of people who don’t seem to understand what was said. For the record, I find him irritatingly smug and wouldn’t want to spend any time with him but that doesn’t mean I can’t agree with him on some things.
---

Are you saying that this poor lady was attacked by migrants? It’s not clear in your post so I may have misunderstood. Regardless it’s obviously terrible but unfortunately and of course not everybody is good and well intended which is why the assessment process needs improving (which is massively adding to the numbers needing housing). However there’s plenty of wrong ‘uns born and brought up here, everybody needs to look after ourselves regardless of immigration, one of my closest friends had a similar assault with a bloke from Leeds, would you tar everybody from Leeds in the same way?
More black and white thinking. If people insist on reducing every comment like mine to find the racism/xenophobia so they can feign being morally outraged and feel superior, then we’ll just be running in circels.
Yes,
she was drugged and gang raped by three Eastern European men, who then abandoned her on the road like a dog.

God people like you make me mad.

• Sad
  • Heart

Jen667

VIP Member
Lineker's employment is very different to Sugar's. Sugar is a businessman who happens to play a role in a BBC reality show. Lineker anchors their flagship football show, he presents Olympic coverage, he is part of the presenting team on Comic Relief and Children in Need. he is very much a BBC presenter and Sugar is not

Reactions: 10

Yupitsme!!

If you can’t see the similarities with dehumanising language then I’m not sure you’ll ever see it. Nobody is arguing that the situation isn’t awful but the blame isn’t being correctly allocated. It’s a fabulous dead cat for the government though especially due to the number of people who don’t seem to understand what was said. For the record, I find him irritatingly smug and wouldn’t want to spend any time with him but that doesn’t mean I can’t agree with him on some things.
---

Are you saying that this poor lady was attacked by migrants? It’s not clear in your post so I may have misunderstood. Regardless it’s obviously terrible but unfortunately and of course not everybody is good and well intended which is why the assessment process needs improving (which is massively adding to the numbers needing housing). However there’s plenty of wrong ‘uns born and brought up here, everybody needs to look after ourselves regardless of immigration, one of my closest friends had a similar assault with a bloke from Leeds, would you tar everybody from Leeds in the same way?
They aren't migrants though, when I think migrants I think of the ones coming here to work and pay into the system and learned to speak our language. Dont confuse migrants with criminals, who come here illegally via rubber boat with the begging bowl out. Most of my colleagues are migrants, came here legally, pay taxes and pay visa costs and nhs surcharges, its a slap in the face to them this is happening

Behelzabobs

VIP Member
People on both the left and right have lost their job by making references to Nazi Germany andor the holocaust.
exactly or any sort of offensive tweet
people have lost their jobs for stuff they’ve tweeted years ago and no amount of apologising and back peddling has made any difference
Can’t believe the BBC pay the self obsessed bore £1.35 m for his presenting job

Jen667

VIP Member
They've always claimed to be impartial though. Just because Clarkson and Neil left doesn't negate the BBC's hypocrisy.
I get that. But their existence wasn't threatened then. I'd have more sympathy for Lineker if his social justice crusade hadn't deserted him so spectacularly during the World Cup

londongirl2001

VIP Member
I appreciate that thought but the world was very different in 2011 than it is now. For better or worse.

I'm fully on Lineker's side and utterly shocked over the BBC's behavior. I dont understand why a football presenter has to present a neutral opinion about politics on his SM platform, especially when the core opinion isnt outrageous. But just want to point out that the comparisons like the above are not helpful. I think the fact that the BBC was fine with him voicing his political opinion on a range of other topics, including on their own broadcast (Qatar, perhaps a better comparison) but not on this is the worrying part. It has nothing to do with protecting the BBC being impartial but it's taking a dangerous direction into state-supported propaganda and censorship.
He's allowed to do political commentary as long as it aligns with the Tories. Simple as that.

Yel

Chatty Member
He's "stepped back" from match of the day until an agreement has been reached on social media use.

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.

• Wow
  • Haha

Solpaqueen

It seems silly to hold a football presenter to the same standard as a news/current affairs presenter. Why does he need to be impartial?

Tatooine_legend1

VIP Member
It's pretty obvious that him referring to Nazi Germany, which he was, is going to cause unrest and offense among the Jewish community. This is the reason why he's been suspended (not sacked) and he refused to apologise for his comments.

He could have settled all this by apologising for referring to that time in history, but still doesn't agree with the government's words/actions. I highly doubt BBC would have taken any action if that had happened, but he's doubled down and made things worse for himself.

Weathergirl

Chatty Member
My political views are centrist, I have voted for most of the 3 main political parties over my voting life. Certain BBC journalists are certainly "right leaning" in my view. You can also notice how at present, left leaning guests on QT or other shows get interrupted more or just a few seconds to reply before being shut down by the likes of Fiona Bruce whereas in contrast the Tory guests get a lot longer to reply, and significantly less interruption. Its blatantly obvious IMO.

Mcomics

Chatty Member
Motd became very much a boys club Gary & his buddies having a lovely chat ( a kin to many people on a Saturday afternoon in tbe pub) I haven't watched it for years! But Gary knew exactly what he was doing, you just don't flippantly evoke Nazi Germany! If I'm honest our little Island can't sustain many more people & there are 'safe' countries asylum seekers can stop in before embarking on these perilous boat trips who they only people who benefit are the rats charging people money to be put in danger.
I'll get off my soap box now!