Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Sir Lancelot

VIP Member
Leaving politics to the politicians is the worst thing that ever happens; I'm glad Linekar and others speak up.

The BBC bowing to Tory pressure isn't impartial, is it!?

• Sick
Reactions: 14

coconochanel

VIP Member
The idea that footballers should not voice an opinion on anything except football is utterly ridiculous. Leaving politics to politicians has obviously not worked out too well so the more people express their opinions and get involved the better.

Having said that, Right Said Fred should stick to singing!
They're too sexy for a opinion, too sexy it hurts. 🤭

• Haha
  • Heart

Catfan2

Chatty Member
Leaving things to the politicians in power has really worked out well over the last 13 years in the UK.

The reason why this country's infrastructure is in a bad way isn't down to these people trying to enter the country. The government are pointing the finger at them to cover up their own failings.

I'm pleased to see him speaking up on this.
I agree with you, it doesn’t matter which party is in power though, I don’t believe there would have been/will be a different outcome. Economic migrants are a world wide problem and I can’t see a solution. However I resent the implication that this country is racist. It absolutely is not for the most part, which is probably why so many people attempt to enter.
---
The idea that footballers should not voice an opinion on anything except football is utterly ridiculous. Leaving politics to politicians has obviously not worked out too well so the more people express their opinions and get involved the better.

Having said that, Right Said Fred should stick to singing!
It would get a bit crowded if all the other ‘celebrities’ started wading in. He seems to have an opinion on absolutely everything and it’s a bit arrogant to assume everyone is interested in his rants.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha

teaandgoss101

VIP Member
I’m working class and don’t feel impacted by mass immigration. I’m far more worried about the dire state of the NHS, the cost of living and the fact our public services are crumbling around us and I think that’s true of most people. This has been a very convenient ‘dead cat’ story for the government.
I agree but all this will only be further impacted by immigration. It is not to say we should not allow immigration but it has to be controlled. If you allow 10,000 people move to the uk. They need support - housing , benefits , medical , schooling etc all of these services are crumbling as it is without the added pressure. That alone is a couple of million a year.

Piff paff puff

VIP Member
He such a spineless turd. Skirting around words like holocaust, nazis (he knew those words would get him immediately cancelled.

HaloGirl

VIP Member
I assume the same people annoyed with Gary were also calling for Alan Sugar's sacking from the BBC when he was slagging off Mick Lynch and Jeremy Corbyn? If we have free speech then it should be on both sides.

Gary isn't a journalist or news presenter and has no editorial policy influence at the BBC. He was tweeting from his personal account. We're not living in Russia with state and govt. controlled media.
Off topic, Alan Sugar was a life long labour supporter until 7/8 years ago and was angry about Corbyns stance on anti semitism.

Aside from this situation Gary Lineker isn’t a nice guy. Heard so many stories about him using super injunctions continuously cheating on his first wife etc.
---
You personally pay his wages? Wow, you learn something new everyday!
As tax payers, we all do!

Reactions: 13

Yupitsme!!

Look nobody wants illegal dafties in the uk, anyone who wants them here can freely give up their home, their space in the nhs, give up their kids spaces at school and forfeit any benefits they recieve for the illegals they love so much. I'm sick and tired getting docked a thousand quid a month in national insurance and tax from my wages to fund this sickening display of criminals before the hardworking mugs. Fuck them back in their dinghies, they arent wanted here. No way is the criminals entering our country here to work hard and be an upstanding member of the community fleeing war torn France, Poland, Sweden. They are here to change our values and customs, look at the kid who dropped the Quran ffs, kid was getting death threats. This bleeding heart shit has to stop. For the sake of our kids it has to stop.

• Heart
  • Haha

Ilovemusic

VIP Member
I pay his wages I don’t want to know his Opinions unless it’s about football. Wrighty andShearer and the rest of his millionaire buds can fuck off as well
Don't want to know his opinion on which flavour crisps he prefers either, he's a smug twat.

• Haha

Whatsitallabouteh

Well done Garry for standing by your tweet and not being forced to release an apology.
Also well done to the others who have told the BBC to shove it.
At this rate they will be digging up Jimmy Hill in the morning.

• Angry

Josephine Shaker

It's pretty obvious that him referring to Nazi Germany, which he was, is going to cause unrest and offense among the Jewish community. This is the reason why he's been suspended (not sacked) and he refused to apologise for his comments.

He could have settled all this by apologising for referring to that time in history, but still doesn't agree with the government's words/actions. I highly doubt BBC would have taken any action if that had happened, but he's doubled down and made things worse for himself.
He really wasn’t. He said the language used by the government is reminiscent of that used by Germany in the 1930s. Why would that offend Jewish people? Oh and if we’re throwing that card around. I’m Jewish from my mum’s side and she was originally from Germany so go figure where she was in 1940. People who take this comment as offensive should maybe realise that it would have been nice had people spoken up about their plight the treatment my family received in the 1930s. It might have saved my mum’s family. Her parents for one. You might not like Gary that’s fine. Some might even say he should stick to football (although again that’s stupid because we can all speak our minds). But at no point did he try and offend us Jewish folk. If you take that as such then well… אני חושב שאתה אידיוט

• Heart

KatLit

VIP Member
I might watch MOD tonight, now those three "stating the obvious, "overpaid twats aren't on

• Haha
Reactions: 12

Yel

Chatty Member
Vanessa feltz was saying how her BBC contract for radio said she had to be impartial.

I think irrelevant of his view the BBC should just say either way if being political outside of the job is compatible or not.

EnjoyingTheShow

Chatty Member
Seems like the main issue here is with the government. We also don't get to choose where our tax goes and it's pretty clear that they're not in favour of using it to benefit the less well off and disadvantaged in this country.

Out of interest, have you taken in any homeless people? You clearly feel strongly about that and rightly so.
If there’s a lesson to be learnt here it’s that the Gov is getting off lightly using Gary as the scapegoat. Again, I’m sure he’s being paid off handsomely for it (Check that Swiss bank account, Taxman.)

Not only does my family help the homeless and veteran army in multitude ways, we also took in a friend of my brother’s who was on the streets (substance and alcohol abuse) and nursed him back to health.

You might want to ask yourself have you taken in any single, unmarried, fighting age migrants come over on dinghys recently? They’d probably refuse, would they not, seeing as Gov is already paying for brand new luxury accommodation with flatscreens, xbox and cooking their meals from scratch using healthy and religiougly aligned ingredients.

And again. Waiting patiently for Gary to post proof he has indeed take in Migrants, cos I’ve seen naught on socials or papers, unless anyone has pic evidence and can post it, and I’m talking about past evidence from when he said It, not some rushed through photo opportunity he’s going to suddenly come up with now he knows people are going to be asking for it.

KS1066

Lineker's ignorant tweet was deeply offensive to the Jewish community. He should take a history lesson.

Gary if you are reading this, apologise, pay your tax bill and stick to crisps.

• Heart

no-no

VIP Member
Find it funny that Shearer and Wright are boycotting, I stopped watching MOTD because of the stale line-up.

L3moning

VIP Member
The BBC’s own guidelines. They make reference to almost this specific case of a sports presenter having political opinions and state it’s not really an issue. 🤔
View attachment 2020078
So why were they OK with Andrew Neill, but not with Lineker? The only answer is because they felt pressured by the government because Lineker disagreed with government policy and Neill didn't.

Weathergirl

Chatty Member
The BBC didn't sanction Laura Kuensberg, then political editor at the BBC, when she was on camera dancing the conga when Johnson became PM, and her clearly biased stance on Brexit, plus her undisguised glee when the leave campaign won. They have not sanctioned Fiona Bruce for her obvious right wing bias during BBC Question Time on several occasions. It seems with impartiality at the Beeb, they overlook it when it suits the Tory agenda, but condemn it and complain about it when it doesn't. That's been clear to me for years now.

Gary's comments were true, it was about language and rhetoric, it did not suggest intent regarding future actions. However the current government is far too populist, and appear to me to have failed to learn from the lessons of history. What planet are they on if they don't realise how dangerous it is to seek to control and manipulatr the media?

Gary Lineker did nothing wrong, his contract did not restrict his freedom of speech. He used his private account to express his opinion. God help us when that freedom is curtailed.

Campari

Gary has admitted he went too far, but his ego doesn't let him say sorry. His choice really to get suspended.

• Heart
Reactions: 11