Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Miss polar

VIP Member
Hope the BBC lose loads of viewers. It will be interesting to see who they’ll try to silence next. I hear they won’t broadcast a David Attenborough programme because they’re afraid of a right wing back lash!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 16

L3moning

VIP Member
Well no, you can't poll every Jew in the world but it is widely accepted that comparisons to the the holocaust are generally a bad idea.
He didn't compare it *to the holocaust* though. He compared it to the language used in the 1930s by Germany, which is not the same thing at all.

Reactions: 16

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
He has invited refugees to live with him. This has been fairly well documented in the press.

I think for most people its the staggering hypocrisy thats so frustrating. The (far) right are always going on about freedom of speech and civil liberties being eroded, and you can bet your life if Lineker had said ‘all asylum seekers are scum‘ or something similar they’d be signing his praised from the roof tops, but because he’s dared to call out their behaviour and attack their beloved poster girl they’ve kicked up a huge fuss and put pressure on the Beeb to remove him from his position.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15

EnjoyingTheShow

Chatty Member
At least he's taken some of these people into his home.
SNORT, has he? Trust someone‘s word who dodges taxes do ya. Out of all the pertinent points made in that post, that’s the weakest one, Lol. Not your fault, you might not have access to how the wealthy live and operate, so you don’t know. Taxpayers, pleb taxplayers, like the majority of people, not the high net worths who hide all their money in shell corporations or offshore like Linekar, are the ones paying for these Economic Migrants, while struggling with their own bills with no help from the Gov.

Ordinary tax payers who keep insisting on supporting these single, unmarried, fighting age men should accommodate them in their own homes, if they feel so strongly.

I digress. Back to TAX CHEAT and all round hypocritical knob, Linekar. Wonder if he got a nice fat bonus from the Beeb for this latest stunt and question is, if so, did he chuck it in his offshore account too? HMRC, get on that, would ya! 😂

• Heart

Tatooine_legend1

VIP Member
Why is football and especially Lineker, put on such a pedestal in this country. The media making this out to be far bigger than it should be too. He's a football presenter. I don't think he ever spoke about political issues on social media until Gary Neville went all political, now you can't shut him up.

I think the mentioning of nazi Germany is the reason why BBC have been more adamant he apologises. The fact he's doubling down on what he said and refuses to apologise has made this a bigger issue. He's probably loving the attention. Must run in the family as his brother is a bit of attention seeker.

• Heart

Jen667

VIP Member
If Lineker leaves MOTD permanently and his job becomes available I think his comrades might quickly forget their solidarity.

• Heart

LeonoreGuest

Chatty Member
The stark fact is that his tweet was entirely right - some of the language used 'we are being invaded', 'illegals' is absolutely the same language as 1930s Germany. If you're more concerned about what a football presenter says than the fact that this government is trying to do something in breach of international law to stop desperate people literally fleeing wars then sorry, you're the bad guy.

• Heart
  • Sick

Campari

Gary having a few carefully vetted people saying in one of his guest houses on his huge property then loudly broadcasting it is nothing more than good pr.
---
The (far) right are always going on about freedom of speech and civil liberties being eroded, and you can bet your life if Lineker had said ‘all asylum seekers are scum‘ or something similar
Bullshit. If anyone of a high profile at the BBC said that they'd be sacked.

People on both the left and right have lost their job by making references to Nazi Germany andor the holocaust.

PurvyPanda

VIP Member
What I don't understand about these celebrity people is their determination to see things in black and white.

There is no doubt when you are referring to those people who have been displaced and are fleeing war torn countries, or countries with corrupt governments who control their populous by fear and violence, that we would gladly look after them, but in amongst those people are opportunists, petty criminals, hardened criminals, gang lords, economic migrants and extremists. To ignore this reality is endangering lives and turning communities into ghettos.
I have worked for a local authority. The housing crisis means homeless single mothers are living in hostels with drug addicts. They will not be treated as a priority when the country keeps inviting people here under false pretence. We do not have the means to look after them sufficiently.
There is no hope for those born here and living here who rely on public services, as they are stretched to breaking point. Not something you need to worry about when you have millions in the bank. If some of these celebrities took a more balance overall view, rather than dismissing and trivialising people's genuine (and justified) concerns, then we could find some common ground and make some progress. As it stands Gary Lineker and his ilk is not progressive - they are wilfully ignorant, and arrogant.

• Heart

PurvyPanda

VIP Member
Couldn’t agree more, especially if one of them gets offered ££ to be his replacement! You’re only as loyal as your next pay cheque!

Said my piece earlier on in this thread.

Cancel him right out of England please. He can go sun himself with his idiot Bruv in Ibiza.
I have just read Alex Scott's tweet. What choice does she have. A lot of people who earn nowhere near what Gary Lineker earns will be detrimentaly effected if this goes on for too long, but it's either that or face being called a scab.
---
There is no mass immigration though? Mass immigration would mean tens of thousands of immigrants and that hasn’t happened.
Mass migration. Mass immigartion. Spliting hairs here.

The total number of recorded migrants crossing in 2022 was 45,756. That is tens of thousands.

• Haha
  • Heart

BasilRathbon

"Saturday's Match of the Day will now "focus on match action without studio presentation or punditry", a BBC spokesperson says".

I think Lineker and his yes-men may have shot themselves in the foot here. I can't be the only one who wants to see more match action and less waffle from washed up ex-pros on MOTD or indeed any football highlights programme. If there's a couple of cracking games tomorrow people might start to ask why we need presenters and pundits at all?

esmee

He took one maybe two who would have been heavily vetted before they handed him them, the ones arriving and being housed in local hotels aren't, believe me my son works amongst these arrivals.

Not true my son works with them they do receive NHS treatment, they all have twice a week GP clinics at the hotels, dentist appointments within 24hrs if they ask to see one. Alot work cash in hand, although it's against the rules but they can't be challenged about it, they also get £40 a week spending money which goes up the longer they are at the hotels. Free phone on arrival . And a lot more that isn't being reported on.

This is just misinformation and the kind of thing the government wants everyone to believe. I deal with a lot of asylum seekers and refugees and they don't receive £40+ a week in hotels, it's maximum £7 regardless of how long they have been there.
Yes they have access to NHS and dentists but they have to wait the same as everyone else there's no VIP, if a hotel has a GP visiting that's an arrangement they've made themselves it's definitely not all.
Some will work illegally which I don't agree with but if found it can affect their asylum claim and the HO has ability to raid businesses it suspects of using illegal workforce. Once someone has been seeking asylum for more than a year without any answer (which is a massive issue in itself, some people have been waiting 2-3 years for a decision meaning more pressure on resources when they could possibly be working and contributing to society) they can ask for work permission which is a lottery on who is given this, but they can only do work which is on the shortage list most of which is highly skilled work making the whole thing pointless, especially when there are low skilled jobs they could be doing and if people are working illegally willing to.
They are not given free phones upon arrival, there was recently an issue where the HO had illegally confiscated phones and personal items people had arrived with, phones which was the only way they could let loved ones know they were safe. Any phones, clothes etc. they get via charities.

Of course there will be people who abuse the system but the system is an absolute joke which is how the government wants it as it makes it easier to blame asylum seekers for their failures, the same way it used to be those on benefits they would blame, single mothers etc. anyone who it's easy to look down on and attack.

• Heart
Reactions: 14

Jaynefnw

Chatty Member
Yes, can't see that we will agree if that's what you think. The whole point is that Jews very much DO count and the language then was totally unacceptable, just as this language of dehumanising people is totally unacceptable.
---

I'm surprised that there is any spare space in care homes, the waiting list round her to get somebody into one that needs that care is horrendous. This certainly isn't happening everywhere and nor could it regardless of any other issue to do with the rights and wrongs. The problem is that cases aren't being dealt with so they are all in limbo. If cases were dealt with efficiently and swiftly then the problem wouldn't exist to this extent and the those who are subsequently granted asylum would be able to do some of the jobs that we need filling and pay into society in a way that they currently can't.
And I never said it was happening everywhere, but it will get worse in every area if nothing is done to either stop or slow down the sheer amount of arrivals.

In a idea world we could take in everyone who needed help but we can't , I would like someone on here or any of these celebs or politicians, who are championing all the refugees to be able to come, to tell us all where we as a country will house all these arrivals in the long run ...as more will keep coming if there isn't a system in place to limit it all ....not all will get work and pay back into the system...not will want to work ..not all are here for good.
hundreds of hotels throughout the country are full 100 plus rooms in some full with some having been there for months if not years.....where do we put them in the long run, do we accept them all no vetting and allow all who want to stay here. There imo needs to be rules and protocols to limit arrivals for everyone safety on both sides. (As my son has been threatened many times in his line of work )
---
He has invited refugees to live with him. This has been fairly well documented in the press.

I think for most people its the staggering hypocrisy thats so frustrating. The (far) right are always going on about freedom of speech and civil liberties being eroded, and you can bet your life if Lineker had said ‘all asylum seekers are scum‘ or something similar they’d be signing his praised from the roof tops, but because he’s dared to call out their behaviour and attack their beloved poster girl they’ve kicked up a huge fuss and put pressure on the Beeb to remove him from his position.
Don't be ridiculous, do you really think the one Mr lineker took into his home just stepped off a boat and was given his address of course not, the person would have been vetted and checked extensively before hand. But the average place the majority of the arrivals end up in and in large groups, not just one or two people, haven't been checked and no of course all asylum seekers aren't scum, but sadly they all aren't people who want to train to be a doctor or even work. We all have to be realistic about this issue.

Last edited:

PeteM

VIP Member
There's more of an issue re impartiality with regards to the BBC's chairman seeking an £800,000 loan from Boris Johnson, surely?

As far as I'm aware, the impartiality agreement only pertains to presenters on news programmes. Gary presents a sports programme.

mcfeez

VIP Member
BBC doesn't have much of a leg to stand on with regards to impartiality while Sharp remains Chairman.

Lineker made comments about Qatar during the WC with regards to human rights issues yet nothing happened. Alan Sugar went after Mick Lynch during some of the rail strikes - hardly remaining impartial. (He has also publicly backed the Tories on his social media). It's clear as day why such issue is being taken with Lineker in this individual instance.