Gabby Petito

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t think there is any doubt he did it. But I have the unpopular opinion that it was a crime of passion and he couldn’t live with what he had done
I don’t think that’s unpopular- it’s pretty obviously he killed her and then killed himself because he couldn’t live with himself. Why else would he have killed himself?

Unless you mean unpopular calling a murderer passionate, and yeah, you’d be right there

Reactions: 8
I just like everyone else find it so bizarre that within half an hour of BL parents going into the reserve, they find items and remains are found. Surely the cadaver dogs should have located something? Hopefully BL parents do the right thing and tell Gabbys family what they knew

Reactions: 11
I don’t think that’s unpopular- it’s pretty obviously he killed her and then killed himself because he couldn’t live with himself. Why else would he have killed himself?

Unless you mean unpopular calling a murderer passionate, and yeah, you’d be right there
Google what a crime of passion means. It’s basically doing it in the heat of the moment. Has nothing to do with being “passionate”

Anyway the unpopular opinion is that I don’t think he was generally abusive. I think that travelling made then argue and instead of going their seperate ways they stuck it out and one ended up dead

Reactions: 6
Google what a crime of passion means. It’s basically doing it in the heat of the moment. Has nothing to do with being “passionate”

Anyway the unpopular opinion is that I don’t think he was generally abusive. I think that travelling made then argue and instead of going their seperate ways they stuck it out and one ended up dead
I mean, when someone ends up dead at the hands of a person they're in a relationship with, it's a fairly good indication that some sort of abuse is going on, isn't it?

Reactions: 23

Don’t be so patronising. I know full well what it means. It’s also the murder of your lover, so how you can say it has nothing to do with passionate, I have no idea.

You’re just describing a murder. Don’t try and glamourise it by giving it a special category. The reason people don’t like the term is it lessens the seriousness of the murder by giving the man a reason to claim he just couldn’t help himself. There are very few countries where a crime of passion is part of the legal process.

Reactions: 12
Don’t be so patronising. I know full well what it means. It’s also the murder of your lover, so how you can say it has nothing to do with passionate, I have no idea.

You’re just describing a murder. Don’t try and glamourise it by giving it a special category.
Ummmm, I’m not being patronising. It’s a legal definition in America for a murder that happens in the heat of the moment.
Apology accepted, no need to have a pop because you don’t know what others are talking about

I mean, when someone ends up dead at the hands of a person they're in a relationship with, it's a fairly good indication that some sort of abuse is going on, isn't it?
I disagree. Plenty of murders have been comitted by people who didn’t abuse each other.
But again as I said it’s just my opinion that the relationship wasn’t abusive. And I know it’s not a popular opinion on this thread

• Angry
Reactions: 5
I disagree. Plenty of murders have been comitted by people who didn’t abuse each other.
But again as I said it’s just my opinion that the relationship wasn’t abusive. And I know it’s not a popular opinion on this thread
I don't think it's just on this thread that it's an unpopular opinion. The mission statement from the Gabby Petito organisation would suggest that those in the know felt she was a victim of domestic abuse. I feel it's kind of disrespectful to suggest that wasn't the case.

Screenshot 2021-10-23 at 12.35.38.png

Reactions: 13
Ummmm, I’m not being patronising. It’s a legal definition in America for a murder that happens in the heat of the moment.
Apology accepted, no need to have a pop because you don’t know what others are talking about

this whole post is patronising lmao.
“uwu brian didn’t murder her silly it’s just a crime of passion! he didn’t mentally and emotionally abuse gabby despite a police officer literally coming out saying that they believed he was abusing her after the first stop and that they wished they could have done more!”

what a sickening thought process to think that a totally healthy relationship would degrade so thoroughly that he’d strangle her to death. feels victim blame-y but I can’t put my finger on why.

Reactions: 18
The terms crime of passion and honour killing need to be binned regardless of whether they are legal terms right now. We should not be identifying or using labels that try and water down cold blooded murders.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I'm not as certain as some that he went to the reserve with the intention of simply killing himself. While I do agree suicide is probably the most likely manner of death, I'm open to other possibilities at this point. Drug taking (accidental overdose), insect/snake poisoning, injury, illness, drowning, wild animals, etc.

He apparently took a backpack, dry bag, notebook, possibly other personal belongings. The parents incidicated that they (might have been just Chris) looked for him for a few hours initially - if this was a known spot and he had killed himself straight away, they would have found his body easily. My guess is that if it was suicide, there was a period of time where his mental state deteriorated before he carried it out.

This case has also been so incredibly bizarre that it would not surprise me one bit if there are still further twists.

Reactions: 9
feels victim blame-y but I can’t put my finger on why.
I think it feels that way because it's like, 'oh, he just snapped' (implicitly saying it's either something she has done to make him snap OR some sort of 2 way street). It undermines what we know about DV and coercive control.

I'm not as certain as some that he went to the reserve with the intention of simply killing himself. While I do agree suicide is probably the most likely manner of death, I'm open to other possibilities at this point. Drug taking (accidental overdose), insect/snake poisoning, injury, illness, drowning, wild animals, etc.

He apparently took a backpack, dry bag, notebook, possibly other personal belongings. The parents incidicated that they (might have been just Chris) looked for him for a few hours initially - if this was a known spot and he had killed himself straight away, they would have found his body easily. My guess is that if it was suicide, there was a period of time where his mental state deteriorated before he carried it out.

This case has also been so incredibly bizarre that it would not surprise me one bit if there are still further twists.
Also, even if he did commit suicide, it may not have been because he couldn't 'live with himself' for what he'd done to Gabby. It could just have been because the net was closing in on him, and he didn't want to go to prison for the rest of his life. If he couldn't live with himself out of guilt, he sure took a long, roundabout way of doing it.

Reactions: 19
Also, even if he did commit suicide, it may not have been because he couldn't 'live with himself' for what he'd done to Gabby. It could just have been because the net was closing in on him, and he didn't want to go to prison for the rest of his life. If he couldn't live with himself out of guilt, he sure took a long, roundabout way of doing it.
Definitely a possibility too, I agree. If he did kill her, he could have taken his own life at the crime scene in Wyoming but an awful lot happened and a lot of time passed between then and when he died. Perhaps we will find out more this coming week.

Reactions: 6
There is no recognised crime is passion defence in the USA. You’re talking nonsense and don’t understand what it means yourself. I believe it’s even been binned in France, one of the few countries where it’s a legitimate defence

Also for what it’s worth if Brian did commit suicide, it was to escape jail more than missing gabby just in my opinion

Reactions: 15
That's assuming nobody else was involved...
Do you really think that? Like who? A parent, lover, stranger?

There is no recognised crime is passion defence in the USA. You’re talking nonsense and don’t understand what it means yourself. I believe it’s even been binned in France, one of the few countries where it’s a legitimate defence
I’ll just leave this link here for you. From an actual law site https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/crime_of_passion

Reactions: 2
That is a provocation defence. The legally recognised defence is provocation.

The whole thing is no different to losing your temper with someone in the pub and kicking them to death. Call if what you like, your opinion is unpopular because of your victim blamey and misogynistic language. Your suggestion as to what happened is extremely obvious and straight forward, it’s not insightful

• Heart
Reactions: 11
That is a provocation defence. The legally recognised defence is provocation.

The whole thing is no different to losing your temper with someone in the pub and kicking them to death. Call if what you like, your opinion is unpopular because of your victim blamey and misogynistic language. Your suggestion as to what happened is extremely obvious and straight forward, it’s not insightful
If you say so