Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

WestSideIsDaBest

Someone upthread (i tried to find it) described it as she may have been killed in a crime of passion.
Lets rephrase that, it gives it an air of romance. Lets call it what it is

Its abuse
its assault
Its murder

In the uk we have a relatively new law called coercive control, where the abuser slowly exerts their control over you, you learn to tow the line, modify your behaviour to appease them. Its incredibly hard to prosecute, but its getting there. Its rarely seen on its own.

• Heart
Reactions: 41

KINGAA

VIP Member
SNL did a sketch last night where Pete Davison pretended to be Dog looking for Brian…. Speechless, someones daughter, friend, loved one was murdered this is not a situation to joke about!

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 39

AnonyGoss

VIP Member
It's so crazy how the 1 particular police officers kept trying to run with the "see, women can be abusers too!" theory. When he kept bringing up roles being reversed, and her being the aggressor, etc. That's what made him overlook the obvious signs that Brian was the abuser. The 'wounds or scratches' he had on himself were done by her defending herself against him. They should be able to see the difference between defensive wounds.

Men will always back other men. Police failed to look at the situation objectively.

• Sad
Reactions: 36

Veronicaaa

VIP Member
I just wish those Utah cops had been more on the ball or if she asked for protection from him.
Yeah I actually wanted to come back to this, because earlier people were saying that they couldn't have done much more and it's just with the benefit of hindsight that we realise that things could have been different. I disagree and do think that lessons can and should be learned by what happened here. Gabby was clearly outrageously distressed (it's upsetting just to see the video stills of her) and yet they thought the solution was to send her away in a van that she even says she's uncomfortable driving at the best of times, while he's put in a police car and driven to a hotel. Now, at the very least I think she should have been given more time to decompress and talk to officers when she's not so agitated - a ride to a hotel with a female police officer would have given her this opportunity, plus they might have been able to get more out of her and talked to her more about the longer term ie does she really want to continue on this road trip or should she perhaps take a break and go back to spend some time with her family. I mean, that's just one thing. The fist bumps and the pally-pally stuff with him was nauseating and points to a larger problem with police responding to DV call-outs. It's a real opportunity for LE to look at how they deal with these things and it would be a horrible waste to say 'there's nothing else they could have done' IMO.

• Heart
Reactions: 36

Veronicaaa

VIP Member
I said the warrant is for cc fraud. Because it is!

Please read carefully and not twist my words around, thank you.
Please could you do the same. I'm not sure why you've decided to respond to everything I post here in bad faith but I genuinely cba with it and I'm sure neither can anyone else reading this thread.

• Heart
Reactions: 34

SunshineRae

VIP Member
I felt a bit morbid tuning in, but I caught her Dad and her stepdad talking about her. They are so unbelievebalt strong and I thought how her dad introduced Jim was lovely. He had his arm round him and said Gabby had four parents who loved her, not step parents, four parents 😭 ❤ And then once that was over the two mums were hugging, comforting each other. I always admire people’s strength and love for each other in this kind of situation

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 34

SunshineRae

VIP Member
Can someone fill me in if I have this wrong, but, how in the world if her parents reported her missing and Brian was at home for 2 odd weeks without her, did he evade the cops' inquiries so many times?
Brian arrived home (alone) on 1st September which Gabby’s family weren’t aware of (until 9 days later). They weren’t expecting them home until Halloween. However they had not heard from either of them since the 30th August (which was uncommon even when they were in areas with remote signal etc.) so on the 10th September Nichole (Gabby’s mum) text Roberta (Brian’s mum) saying she was “worried about the kids. Have you heard from them?”. She didn’t receive any response so then Gabby’s Dad (who I believe had fairly recently, although could be longer, moved to Florida to be closer to his daughter) went round to the Laundrie house, discovered Brian was home but no Gabby and there was some kind of altercation that the police attended. Gabby was then formerly reported as missing the following day - September 11th. By then, he/the family was lawyered up, plead the 5th (I assume) and because there was no evidence of a crime he wasn’t under any obligation (other than moral) to answer any questions and this gave him a 5/6 day head start.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 33

Pickminy

My heart sank when I heard remains had been found and are believed to be Brian's. I so desperately wanted him to be found alive and to face the consequences.

Reactions: 32

hydeist

Chatty Member
He can removed his teeth out. I feel that everything is so staged and doesn’t end up for me that the parents found his stuff… it doesn’t make any sense. Of course this is my opinion based on everything that I’ve been watching and reading about this case.
I think planting a fake skull and/or fraudulent dental records is probably a bit beyond the Laundries' capabilities.

Reactions: 30
I’ve just read on Twitter that it’s confirmed that his parents FOUND the items and informed the police.
The police attended the scene and found body parts.
Come on. How can the police search for a month then the parents turn up and find his stuff within a day? They have to have planted it OR knew where he was all along.

Reactions: 30

TapToBoreMeRigid

VIP Member
I spent years liaising with police here in the UK to protect my mum from an abusive partner - coercive control, psychological abuse, physical abuse. My mum's mental health has been shattered by the whole thing, though thankfully she is alive. She still loves her abuser and thinks she is "as bad", because a) she retaliated twice b) he told her so.

This poor woman's death is an absolute tragedy. I have no idea how this is going to unwind. I just know there will be a small portion of society saying she should have just left him etc.

Hopefully domestic abuse and its intricacies can be highlighted in the wake of Gabby's death. I hope the man is found alive so that justice and answers can be sought.

Sending love to anyone affected by this.

• Heart
Reactions: 29

AnonyGoss

VIP Member
I watched the body cam footage in full. I saw so many red flags from Brian that the police missed. Police are supposed to be trained on spotting real victims or when someone is under threat (Gabby).

Gabby told them that she was locked out of her own car, but they didn't seem to be alarmed by this? Why? Even if she was going crazy, her car is HER property. One of many red flags that Brian was the abuser.

They did a terrible job and if Brian was NOT a WHITE MAN, he would have been arrested. She would have been saved. They shouldn't have even let them go, being in the state that they were. The officers spoke about separating them for the night, yet they didn't end up doing it. Why?

Police were more concerned about not pressing charges or getting them into trouble, than actually providing them with saftey.

They only thing I got from the police cam footage, is police treat people according to what they look like, what race they are, and other biases. Sorry, Gabby was let down by police, who seemed to find the situation funny..

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 29

Blue pumpkin

VIP Member
The terms crime of passion and honour killing need to be binned regardless of whether they are legal terms right now. We should not be identifying or using labels that try and water down cold blooded murders.

• Heart
Reactions: 28

Aemee00

VIP Member
I can't believe the police just let her go!
The bodycam footage really triggered me. I've been in an abusive relationship myself and after arguments I'd be crying and blaming myself whilst the perpetrator is calm, cool and collected. It's so obvious from the footage that she was distressed and overwhelmed.
I wonder whether he intended to kill her or whether it was a domestic violence incident gone wrong 😔

• Sad
  • Heart

jackolantern

VIP Member
I really hope he doesn't turn up dead, Gabby's family deserve to know exactly what happened and why. Such a sad and horrible case, I have 0 training in identifying victims and to me it was painstakingly obvious in the police footage of Gabby crying that she wasn't the true aggressor. No of course it isn't the officer's fault, but god if we can't rely on their training to identify those at risk, what fucking good is it?

Axatogrind

VIP Member
Convenient a notebook survived in an area reportedly underwater until recently. This case is so damn bizarre.

Reactions: 27

BekkaBoo

Chatty Member
This is just pitiful and heart wrenching. He could literally be anywhere.
At this point all anyone can hope for is justice and it’s gonna be hard to get it it seems like
I can't get over his parents. They definitely helped him escape and I think they've lied and misled the police throughout the whole thing. I hope that they will be held accountable.

Reactions: 27