Formula 1 Wags #120

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Ultimate Lurkee

I saw your post on the other thread. I've nothing major to add, but know that you are alone. Working from home while dealing with remote school, as well as children with additional needs, during a pandemic is super stressful. The constant low-level stress of just the pandemic alone over such a long period of time wears you down. Especially when you are playing so many roles and have no means of escape.

I work in a hospital that was completely overwhelmed with Covid patients in spring 2020. I didn't feel acutely stressed at the time whilst in the thick of it, but realised later the effects that the constant stress had on me & my ability to concentrate and handle everyday problems.

I'm in a half clinical/half research role and work remotely 2 days per week. It took me a long time to realize that working from is not a relief, even though it felt like it and brings with it its own set of stressors. I had inadvertently stopped doing a lot of the things that make me feel like myself.

What has worked for me (and I don't have the additional responsibilities that you have):
- going for a walk/run outside before work when working remotely and at the end of the workday to help switch off
- not checking the news constantly and doom-scrolling. I listen to NPR Up first in the morning which has a 5 minute breakdown of pertinent news.
- making time to read books as I completely stopped doing that and it's something I enjoy, but now have to force myself to make time for it.
- I have deactivated my social media (just a burner for F1 & makeup/running now 😆). Not really necessary to be that extreme, but it is helpful to unfollow/mute anyone that makes you feel like you are not accomplishing enough/not 'woke' enough etc - anything that triggers you.
- setting clear limits at your job. I don't know if you have the kind of job with a set schedule, but for me I need to set boundaries so that I don't either get completely sucked in by the work or that I don't get completely distracted by other things.
-making an effort with my appearance made me feel better. Maybe you're not as shallow as I am. Lol. Getting dressed is 'nicer' clothes and wearing a little makeup was helpful & not being a slob (which I was, by nicer clothes I mean jeans & t-shirt).

Mostly though, just going outside, no matter what the weather is like, really helps me feel like a human and resets my mind.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Lando: “I’m in a bigger bush than you?”

Daniel: “Likely”

Heidi after missing one waxing session:
Screenshot_20220416_212351.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 17
@Ultimate Lurkee

I saw your post on the other thread. I've nothing major to add, but know that you are alone. Working from home while dealing with remote school, as well as children with additional needs, during a pandemic is super stressful. The constant low-level stress of just the pandemic alone over such a long period of time wears you down. Especially when you are playing so many roles and have no means of escape.

I work in a hospital that was completely overwhelmed with Covid patients in spring 2020. I didn't feel acutely stressed at the time whilst in the thick of it, but realised later the effects that the constant stress had on me & my ability to concentrate and handle everyday problems.

I'm in a half clinical/half research role and work remotely 2 days per week. It took me a long time to realize that working from is not a relief, even though it felt like it and brings with it its own set of stressors. I had inadvertently stopped doing a lot of the things that make me feel like myself.

What has worked for me (and I don't have the additional responsibilities that you have):
- going for a walk/run outside before work when working remotely and at the end of the workday to help switch off
- not checking the news constantly and doom-scrolling. I listen to NPR Up first in the morning which has a 5 minute breakdown of pertinent news.
- making time to read books as I completely stopped doing that and it's something I enjoy, but now have to force myself to make time for it.
- I have deactivated my social media (just a burner for F1 & makeup/running now 😆). Not really necessary, but it is helpful to unfollow/mute anyone that makes you feel like you are not accomplishing enough/not 'woke' enough etc - anything that triggers you.
- setting clear limits at your job. I don't know if you have the kind of job with a set schedule, but for me I need to set boundaries so that I don't either get completely sucked in by the work or that I don't get completely distracted by other things.
-making an effort with my appearance made me feel better. Maybe you're not as shallow as I am. Lol. Getting dressed is 'nicer' clothes and wearing a little makeup was helpful & not being a slob (which I was, by nicer clothes I mean jeans & t-shirt).

Mostly though, just going outside, no matter what the weather is like, really helps me feel like a human and resets my mind.
Brilliant advice...not just for when you are burnt out but for life in general.
I too worked throughout the pandemic and although no where near as dangerous as working with covid patients (although we DID work with them), babies come pandemic or no pandemic. It was a frightening time and the ramifications arw hitting hard now....people leaving the profession in droves.
I've done alot of what you have suggested and it has genuinely saved me. I no longer rush to answer emails or return calls on my day off and stopped following anything to do with work on social media.
I also feel I went feral during lockdown and so now I'm making a concerted effort to spend time and money on skincare, make up and clothes, for no one other than myself so I feel better.
I'm also someone who meditates and goes for long walks for my mental health...work outs aren't for me (only one place I'm sweating and it ain't the gym).
Self care is more than a buzzword, it's really a life saver.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
@Ultimate Lurkee

- I have deactivated my social media (just a burner for F1 & makeup/running now 😆). Not really necessary to be that extreme, but it is helpful to unfollow/mute anyone that makes you feel like you are not accomplishing enough/not 'woke' enough etc - anything that triggers you.

Thank you so much for your message, I really appreciate the time it takes to answer ❤

Thanks again to all my nosey witches, going to start putting a plan in place this evening xx

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.