Formula 1 #9

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
exactly - a fine gives the wrong message really because red bull are easily rich enough to absorb that (as a few others would be too!) but then it’s hard to know HOW to penalise? do they penalise both max and checo? can they prove which car benefited the most from any extra? penalising the team as a whole is probably the “fairest” way but i wonder if it would open up a challenge from the driver who could argue he didn’t have an advantage from it (i suppose we could all say that red bull’s main priority is max).

it’s an interesting one!

Id be very much in favour of removing them from the constructors championship but not punishing the drivers championship (kind of the opposite of Michael Schuhmacher’s 1997 penalty )cos if it is RB, that will be a kick where it really hurts the most.

Reactions: 5
toto was pretty amped up about this on sky a little earlier, and an interesting point:

Id be very much in favour of removing them from the constructors championship but not punishing the drivers championship (kind of the opposite of Michael Schuhmacher’s 1997 penalty )cos if it is RB, that will be a kick where it really hurts the most.
that definitely seems the fairest way, as ultimately the drivers obviously have no real influence on the budget but that would be such a strange tone when max then wins the wdc. i kinda feel for him, winning both his wdcs (so far) under a cloud of controversy but in different ways.

that’s assuming there’s truth to the rumours obviously but there’s been some incredibly strong stuff said so there must be some kind of evidence.

Reactions: 10
20220930_173917.jpg

This is what Sky had on after the practice.
I would imagine they could be applied retrospectively.
It looks like both Driver and Constructors could be deducted

Reactions: 7
View attachment 1616312

This is what Sky had on after the practice.
I would imagine they could be applied retrospectively.
It looks like both Driver and Constructors could be deducted
so as a charles fan…………… you’re saying there’s still a chance?!? 🤣😉

interesting that they would combine the drivers and the constructors, but i guess that’s the best way to give a clear penalty (as a team theoretically could still win one). will be watching this with interest!

• Haha
so as a charles fan…………… you’re saying there’s still a chance?!? 🤣😉

interesting that they would combine the drivers and the constructors, but i guess that’s the best way to give a clear penalty (as a team theoretically could still win one). will be watching this with interest!
Depending on how it goes down that is possible.
It could also give Lewis his 8th 👀
Cause even 1 race of points removal from 2021 hands it to him

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I am still so bitter about 2021. I will never ever understand how Lewis wasn’t given that title. That being said the budget cap was only introduced for this season so do they mean the budget cap 2021 for the 2022 season?

on a separate note - are you alright @Red hair dont care

lewis getting that 8th would be the universe righting itself - i’m still so mad about it and i cannot believe the mental strength he must have had to both congratulate max and jos (who had been vile about him) and to come back to the sport at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I am still so bitter about 2021. I will never ever understand how Lewis wasn’t given that title. That being said the budget cap was only introduced for this season so do they mean the budget cap 2021 for the 2022 season.

on a separate note - are you alright @Red hair dont care

There definitely was a budget cap for 2021 that's what this whole rumoured scandal is about. It was originally set to $175 million but then was reduced to $145 due to the pandemic
( https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...s-changed-and-why.5O1Te8udKLmkUl4PyVZtUJ.html )

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Thanks so much. In that case give Lewis his eighth title! *
* I doubt he would want it in those circumstances as he didn’t want it from a court case. Screw you Masi.
I think it would feel a bit crappy getting it like that and he'd 100% want a 9th if it did go down that route

Reactions: 6
I think it’s too late to retrospectively adjust 2021, but if there has been an overspend the FIA need to make sure the punishment is something a rich team can’t simply absorb such as a fine; it’ll undermine the purpose of the cap.

Reactions: 6
I think one of the hardest things about having the cap and taking so long to ensure it has been stuck to, that if people have breached it, it's not just that one season that's been impacted, but the season after and potentially more. If you spent more money developing things then you will likely have furthered your entire development program for years to come, where those who stuck to the budget who might have wanted to develop certain parts had to say no, we can't afford it out of the budget, it'll have to wait til next year.

If it does come out that anyone has breached it you can bet it's gonna get hella messy with the other times wanting proper action to be taken and asking the FIA how they can even the score again. If that's even possible development-wise unless you really go all out in reducing a team's budget for future seasons or something along those lines. And it has to be something that's a deterrent to, a few points or a fine and people will say hey if that's all they're gonna do, we'll take the hit and overspend, so they have to set a precedent or it all unfolds and they may as well not bother having a cap.

Reactions: 10
I don’t think fining a team for spending too much is the way forward - you spent so much we are going to charge you extra money. It seems counter productive.
I think the figure has to come off the following years budget so if the cap is £145m and you spend £155 then the next year your team can only spend £135.
The FIA need to be quicker at monitoring it and revealing who spent what though as that’s hard to enforce with only a handful of races left.

I don’t think fining a team for spending too much is the way forward - you spent so much we are going to charge you extra money. It seems counter productive.
I think the figure has to come off the following years budget so if the cap is £145m and you spend £155 then the next year your team can only spend £135.
The FIA need to be quicker at monitoring it and revealing who spent what though as that’s hard to enforce with only a handful of races left.
It's hard for them to be quicker, because it's essentially auditing 10 full year account for a business. That's a lot to go through. Like any business getting audited, it doesn't happen quickly.

But I agree it should deduct from future allowed budget, also points deductions which should be harsh big deductions.

They’d need to apply additional penalties on that though because if they’ve broken the cap one year they won’t be bothered breaking it the next year too. 2 years running should incur exclusion from both championships for example.

Reactions: 4
They’d need to apply additional penalties on that though because if they’ve broken the cap one year they won’t be bothered breaking it the next year too. 2 years running should incur exclusion from both championships for example.
Yes they probably need something to act as a deterrent as well as losing their spend for the next year. I just meant that made more sense than issuing fines to me

Reactions: 1
No cars on track for FP3 yet... I'm wondering if we'll also have rain during quali today. I'm guessing that would suck for the drivers because they can't really practice in the rain right now because it's just too heavy on track. It's gonna be interesting nonetheless!

Reactions: 4
No cars on track for FP3 yet... I'm wondering if we'll also have rain during quali today. I'm guessing that would suck for the drivers because they can't really practice in the rain right now because it's just too heavy on track. It's gonna be interesting nonetheless!
i was just checking the forecast! i love rain races (and it definitely makes a more interesting race) but it does get to be frustrating! i’m working for qualifying sadly so will have to keep up with it here, i hope they actually manage to get some practice in.

Reactions: 2
Interesting that Martin Brundle said Christian told him “they thought they were under”. Past tense rather than “they think they are under”so have the FIA interpreted it differently and told them they have bent the rules a bit too much?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.