Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Mustard

VIP Member
Black beans, avocado and Nando’s sauce is the best combo ever 😍
Not tried the Nando’s sauce in a long while. I like the green Tabasco sauce or the Cholula sauce. I soften onions before heating beans and add cumin, vinegar, butter and hot sauce.

Love a black bean. I cook up a big pot about once a week with onions, garlic, peppers, carrots and loads of smoked paprika. Then chuck in some sweetcorn near the end.
Where do buy your dried beans?

Reactions: 3

Aquamarina

Chatty Member
Do theirs have the jam inside? There’s a local bakery near me that sell them with jam. Aldi also has a version.
No, no jam inside. They’re tooth achingly sweet as they are, so having jam inside would be a bit much.

Mustard

VIP Member
I tried to source some of these for a Londoner friend while at uni (Essex), impossible! Though they sometimes had Tottenham cake

No Greggs where I am and I don’t really get the hype. The hot drinks are grim

I do like a greasy sausage roll / steak bake / Cornish pasty at times. Haven’t got a big sweet tooth but prefer light pastries to cake and dense puddings - had a phase of scoffing cream cakes on a near-daily basis until my dentist found out. Also cannot beat a pastel de nata, so much nicer than a British custard tart

I try to get a baumkuchen every Christmas - I’d eat it year round but cannot find it anywhere and it’s very difficult to bake
What is a baumkuchen?
Aldi near me have the London cheese cakes. And Lidl near me have the pastel del natas unless you are in London and I can recommend some places to go to.

Mustard

VIP Member
I don’t usually go to Greggs but needed something to eat after a medical appointment not in my area. There was a Greggs near the station so got the vegan sausage roll, Tottenham cake and a cup of tea. Thought the vegan sausage roll was very dry and tasteless. Definitely needed some sort of sauce or chutney. The Tottenham cake was a bit meh. Not a big deal as nothing was expensive but wouldn’t go out of my way for another one.

No, no jam inside. They’re tooth achingly sweet as they are, so having jam inside would be a bit much.
I love the ones that our local bakery sell and don’t find them too sweet. I don’t like really sweet things on the whole. Not a fan of things like cupcakes with inches of icing either. When I make cake, it’s usually loaf or tray bake ones without any icing. Chocolate banana bread is a recent favourite. I also make things like American style scones with fresh fruit like blueberry and lemon or nectarine. I usually put yogurt or creme fraiche in them as a substitute for cream.

Last edited:

Aquamarina

Chatty Member
Currently eating my body weight in Walkers Max Double Crunch crisps which are highly addictive.

Yes mate! Those Walkers Double Crunch crisps are sooooo good. I’m quite partial to a pack of the Bold bbq rib ones, whilst Mr A favours the Hot chicken wings flavour.

Pocahontas

VIP Member
So, cake, I’ll basically eat any cake. Although chocolate cake is probably my least favourite despite loving a good bar of chocolate. There’s a cake shop called Cake Box near me (it’s a franchise so there may be one near you!) and they do a lovely Black Forest gateau and a really light vanilla sponge with fresh fruit on top.
I‘m also partial to white chocolate truffle cake, Hummingbird cake, carrot cake and coffee and walnut.

@Pocahontas the US office is brilliant! I can’t get through the cringe of the UK version but love the US one. I think the opening for the fire episode when Angela’s cat comes through the ceiling is my favourite ever bit of tv 😂

@Breakdance Badass My husband is a year younger than me. Previous relationships they were all a fair bit older so clearly younger works best for me!

@Flumps yes to Hugh Laurie in House! I’ve been listening to some of his music recently and pretending to myself he is actually that character. Seems like a nice chap as his real Hugh Laurie self too.
The cinnamon buns look so good! My mother in law is making some tomorrow so I have my fingers crossed she’ll drop some off for us 🤞🏼
Yes - the bit with the cat!!! Cried laughing.

Reactions: 2

Brian Butterfield

VIP Member
I’m so sorry about your cat, she’s lucky to have had such a loving and responsible owner and an amazing 16 years. I do wonder if JM lurks this thread too, maybe she could make you a baked bean pizza... only if Hellman’s (or Heinz...) sponsor obvs

Also avoiding the JM thread today I’m already too angry for it to be normal 😂

Suprise!

Do you like Homity Pie? I used to go to Cranks to get my fix. That reminds me, Cranks used to do a lovely cheese and herb bread (it made great toast) and a cheese bap they served with cress inside.
Ooh not sure I’ve ever had a proper one but my mum makes a version of it. Anything with cheese and pastry is good in my book!