Food & Drink #9 Vlad likes traazers on a bird

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Fraus, I finish quarantining today! It’s been long and rather dull and I’ve often found myself wishing I lived on a country estate that cost 370x my salary, but it’s all over now. By the state of the news, it looks like I’ll just about have time to pop my head out the window before the next lockdown is upon us.

omg congrats! Thankfully covid doesn’t happen until 10pm apparently so feel free to go out and celebrate 😬

Even though we’ve essentially been shielding (sans nipping into small shops & my MIL) I’m so angry that it’s come to all of this after putting however many people in danger & tbh killing them off. And now we’ve got a miserable winter ahead of us and the mental health crisis this is/will cause will absolutely explode. If JM starts on about her brexit bleeping stockpile in response to this news I swear to god I will combust

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Fraus, I’m on the hunt for any recommendations for great food writing. This is my favourite type of book. I love beautifully written recipe books - The Nigels (Slater & Lawson), Diana Henry etc, But my favourites are food memoirs (or essays) where the recipes are woven around memories or the Herculean task of starting a restaurant etc. Below are the ones I already have and thoroughly recommend, and would love to hear any suggestions.

Potatoes, Jack Monroe (LOL, just bleeping with you guys🥴)

Midnight Chicken (I ❤ this and it has great recipes - especially the harissa poussin on 5 a day hashl And an emotional sucker punch in the memoir part).

An Omelette and a Glass of Wine, Elizabeth David (crisp prose and no-nonsense advice).

My Kitchen Year and Garlic & Sapphires, Ruth Reichl - two excellent books. Garlic & Sapphires is one of my favourite books, an account of her time as a prestigious food critic and the disguises she wore to fool people and how snobbishly she was treated and the amazing food she found squirrelled away in New York.

Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen, Laurie Colville (so funny and brilliant, I want more!)

The Consolation of Food, Valentine Warner

Anything at all by MK Fisher

Anything at all by Anthony Bourdain

My Life In France, Julia Child

Blood, Bones & Butter, Gabrielle Hamilton (a fascinating, rebel chef)

Momofuku, David Chang

Toast, Nigel Slater,

The Comfort Food Diaries, Emily Nunn
Know you've already mentioned Nigel Slater but have you read his Christmas Chronicles? I can't wait for the weather to change and start my annual reading of it ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Talking of spice girls, anyone remember the pictures they realised and you'd collect them and swap them in the playground? I was in primary, and I didnt even like SG but I remember swapping my Baby Spice pictures 😂

We had a fake adiddas tracksuit for our PE kit. Shiny, scratchy blue with 2 white stripes. Only girls school, grimey old smelly showers that were never actually used. No sex ed in secondary, just a brief puberty/period discussion and a random child birth video. Literally rolled the bulky TV on, turned it off and the teacher walked out 🤷🏻‍♀️
I used to get friends’ duplicate Spice Girls cards as my Mum refused to buy them (I think she saw that once you buy one pack you end up being pestered to by more and more :p )

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Know you've already mentioned Nigel Slater but have you read his Christmas Chronicles? I can't wait for the weather to change and start my annual reading of it ❤
I'm in a group on FB that does an annual read along together of this book ☺

• Heart
Reactions: 13
On SKL they've just asked Matt about this favourite fish finger sandwiches .He said the ones from the Groucho 😲.Good job he's successful cos probably v expensive ,at least the fish hasn't ended up in a lasagne 😄

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Fraus I appear to have done a thing 😬.
My neighbours I think son knocked to tell us she’ll be going into a care home soon (I’m gutted she was a lovely little thing) and was telling me that Dobby (her cat) was probably going to have to go to the local refuge. It was at this time my brain & mouth decided to part ways with each other and the words “we could take him” came out. Most women sneakily buy shoes when their husband is at work not me I adopt cats.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 39
Fraus I appear to have done a thing 😬.
My neighbours I think son knocked to tell us she’ll be going into a care home soon (I’m gutted she was a lovely little thing) and was telling me that Dobby (her cat) was probably going to have to go to the local refuge. It was at this time my brain & mouth decided to part ways with each other and the words “we could take him” came out. Most women sneakily buy shoes when their husband is at work not me I adopt cats.
That’s a lovely thing to do. 🥰 and he already knows you. Post a picture of him.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
That’s a lovely thing to do. 🥰 and he already knows you. Post a picture of him.
or pictures 😍 my bf has said he will pay to adopt a second cat for my bday in november. i cannot wait

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I want all the cats but I’ve got a precious madam of a moggy currently so can’t have anymore than her for the time being 😂

41AD57FF-FD6C-4C69-9913-118EFF77DEAD.jpeg

• Heart
I don't watch it, but isn't it filmed in australia? I think borders there are still basically closed
Get this - they’re doing it in a dilapidated castle in wales

dunno how the new lockdown will affect this. Sounds tit!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Get this - they’re doing it in a dilapidated castle in wales

dunno how the new lockdown will effect this. Sounds tit!
Sounds like they're combining SAS: Who Dares Wins with the Duke of Edinbrugh Award. Wonder if the trials will be a trek to the nearest Esso garage to eat a gone off Ginster pie?!

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Sounds like they're combining SAS: Who Dares Wins with the Duke of Edinbrugh Award. Wonder if the trials will be a trek to the nearest Esso garage to eat a gone off Ginster pie?!
It’s going to be so miserable at this time of year isn’t it and the castle itself looks like some kind of death trap! I hope they have really random Americans in it who haven’t got a clue wtf is happening I might actually watch for the first time in years

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.