Food & Drink #4 Any herb will do

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wonder if any of you have any good recommendations for Turkish cookbooks? It's a cuisine I've never cooked before, but would love to delve into. I'm not vegan/vegetarian, but not a fan of lamb. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! ๐Ÿ˜Š
I don't have the book but I've been cooking from this website all week and everything has been delicious! - https://ozlemsturkishtable.com/

There's also Caroline Eden's 'Black Sea' which is a bit more like a travel/food memoir but has some really nice recipes too and she writes beautifully! Here's a lovely write up (Calvert Journal in general is one of my favourite publications, if you're interested in Eastern European culture) - https://www.calvertjournal.com/features/show/10758/caroline-eden-cookbook-black-sea-food-drink

Reactions: 10
Morning Fraus!

Also working today, this has felt like one of the longest weeks ever as I have had next to nothing to do. I've done a load of reading, and some sneaky mid-day naps, but I'm terribly BORED of being bored now. โ˜น

I'm dreading this afternoon, my little flat is in direct sun from about 11am until sunset, which is lovely except for when it's going to be 36 degrees! ๐Ÿ˜ญ

I wonder if any of you have any good recommendations for Turkish cookbooks? It's a cuisine I've never cooked before, but would love to delve into. I'm not vegan/vegetarian, but not a fan of lamb. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! ๐Ÿ˜Š
Ive mentioned her loads on Tattle but @melizcooks on IG has gorgeous meals! No cookbook (yet), but loads of recipes on there/website/youtube

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I have more generic 'Middle Eastern' cookbooks than specifically Turkish ones. But I do have this one, which I love:

Amazon product

Eeep, just seen the cost of the actual book there, there can't be many around, but the Kindle version is a reasonable price!

Anyway. I really like it. It has some lamb recipes in it, but not vast numbers for a cookbook of that region. A lot of salad/veg recipes and a lot of fish recipes. It's also a lovely read.

Reactions: 5
I was with him on a train once. Didnโ€™t recognise him at all, but did text my friend about the semi-fit-but-grubby-looking man sitting across from me ๐Ÿ˜…
As a big Doctor Who fan Iโ€™m jealous. Though I hear he is a twit in real life so you probably did well not to interact with him!

I love Star Wars/Harry Potter etc. I do like LOTR but Iโ€™m not really in to much fantasy stuff.

I canโ€™t believe @heretoreaditall2019 hasnโ€™t come on to update us. Iโ€™m sure sheโ€™s not that BUSY.

Iโ€™m having to work a little this morning then taking fish&chips to my nans for lunch.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Also, woke up starving and with the thought of eggy bread in my head. So voila. Such a healthy breakfast chez Flump. This amount of sugar should get us through the day though (not a nutritionist).

8C5138FD-57E0-4449-8EBA-BD72535BFA9C.jpeg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 28
Also, woke up starving and with the thought of eggy bread in my head. So voila. Such a healthy breakfast chez Flump. This amount of sugar should get us through the day though (not a nutritionist).

View attachment 204384
That looks amazing and I approve of the sugar as I would have a similar amount. Think of it as helping the economy and keeping dentists in work ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

• Haha
Reactions: 13

View attachment 204384
My mouth has literally just filled with saliva looking that. Christ.
And another pretty plate! ๐Ÿ˜

• Heart
Reactions: 9
That looks amazing and I approve of the sugar as I would have a similar amount. Think of it as helping the economy and keeping dentists in work ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
Haha. It does look a lot looking back at the photo. I could post numerous justifications, but I won't. I'm going to be proud of my contribution to society.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Morning! Iโ€™m having a typically healthy Scottish breakfast, square sausage and tattie scone buttie
I love square sausage. I think the best thing about getting married in Gretna Green was the breakfast that included it. Totes wasn't the marriage.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
I love square sausage. I think the best thing about getting married in Gretna Green was the breakfast that included it. Totes wasn't the marriage.
They're brilliant, and so much more practical than links for sticking in between two slices of bread or even a roll!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Yum that square sausage looks divine! I've never been to Scotland but there's a great cafe in Manchester that does a Scottish fry up complete with two different types of sausage. I can never finish it and always feel a bit sick after eating it but I always get it because it's so good!

@Flumps that eggy bread looks lush! I've always ended up burning mine so am put off cooking it!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Yum that square sausage looks divine! I've never been to Scotland but there's a great cafe in Manchester that does a Scottish fry up complete with two different types of sausage. I can never finish it and always feel a bit sick after eating it but I always get it because it's so good!

@Flumps that eggy bread looks lush! I've always ended up burning mine so am put off cooking it!
My top tips are a mix of oil and butter in the frying pan (the oil stops the butter burning) and cook it a lot on a much lower heat and for longer than most recipes suggest. Probably takes me double the time than the normal recipes say.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
You are like the fairy food Godmother of the cabal, @Flumps ! I'm making your carrot cake tomorrow morning and am very excited! Had a bit of a nightmare yesterday though as I made an hour round trip to my nearest Tesco to get supplies (am currently car-less), picked up nutmeg and cinnamon as we don't have any in and got home to realise I'd taken these instead... some idiot put them back on the wrong shelf! I usually check these things so very annoyed at myself. Looks like another Tesco trip tonight

20200807_111217.jpg

• Sad
  • Wow
You are like the fairy food Godmother of the cabal, @Flumps ! I'm making your carrot cake tomorrow morning and am very excited! Had a bit of a nightmare yesterday though as I made an hour round trip to my nearest Tesco to get supplies (am currently car-less), picked up nutmeg and cinnamon as we don't have any in and got home to realise I'd taken these instead... some idiot put them back on the wrong shelf! I usually check these things so very annoyed at myself. Looks like another Tesco trip tonight

View attachment 204403
Oh no!!!! I think you do need the cinnamon but the nutmeg you could probably do without without any terrible consequences. My local corner shop does loads of spices, do you have one that might save you a long round trip!

Reactions: 5

View attachment 204403
Just as well you noticed before adding them to the cake, though!

• Haha
No plans today, it'll be too hot to go anywhere with the kids and our irish skin ๐Ÿ… I woke yesterday feeling like a tidal wave of depression had hit so i'm a bit ๐Ÿฅด
Hugs! I've been the same all week, can't shake the dark clouds at the moment.

Morning all! Gonna be a scorching day I just drenched my tomato plants in anticipation (I am a terrible gardener FYI). I've also stuck a bottle of rose in the fridge, not a massive fan usually but like it as a spritzer sat in the garden.

Breakfast was my fave egg and cheese bagel. I actually order double egg bagel at mcds ("Can I swap the sausage patty for another folded egg please??") and they always think I'm a weirdo...

@crystaleyesd congrats on finding somewhere to live!
@Flumps that looks bloody amazing ๐Ÿ˜

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I don't have the book but I've been cooking from this website all week and everything has been delicious! - https://ozlemsturkishtable.com/
I had eyed up this book, but didn't realise they had a website! Just spent a good portion of my working day scrolling and loving that website. :love:

Ive mentioned her loads on Tattle but @melizcooks on IG has gorgeous meals! No cookbook (yet), but loads of recipes on there/website/youtube
Her food photography is divine! Thank you, she's got a new follower!

I have more generic 'Middle Eastern' cookbooks than specifically Turkish ones. But I do have this one, which I love:

Amazon product

Eeep, just seen the cost of the actual book there, there can't be many around, but the Kindle version is a reasonable price!

Anyway. I really like it. It has some lamb recipes in it, but not vast numbers for a cookbook of that region. A lot of salad/veg recipes and a lot of fish recipes. It's also a lovely read.
I clicked through that link thinking how expensive could it possibly be? ๐Ÿง
I'll have a look on the second-hand book sites I also peruse; hopefully I should find a cheaper copy!

Thanks for the recommendations! โ™ฅ

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.