Food & Drink #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Many years ago there were these amazing chili and lemon crisps. I could only get them from one newsagents near the Elephant and Castle. They were in a yellow metallic bag. DELICIOUS.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
I LOVED these in uni, tbh looking back I should have just gone out to binge eat packs of these and not binge drunk loool. Also I'm not sure if Seabrooks IS a northern thing or not, but I discovered those at uni and never ever see them anywhere else? Ocado have them in stock though!

Also feel like Martin Lewis rn / the dickensian cockney hustler JM believes herself to be - we're getting new wooden floors put in the living & dining room this week so we have a LOT of waste that's just out the front of the house at the moment (classy). A really lovely woman wanted our underlay (it's v good quality & we'd have kept it if we were sticking with carpets) - when she came she also wanted the carpets & grippers too?! I'd given away the 2 palettes the floor came on to a local business & messaged her about left over plywood as I know she was making planters with it and she wants that too! We're getting someone to come collect the proper waste (gross 1950s skirtings) purely because I cba to spend time with the covid denying mask dodging boomers on our local fbook group down the tip but it'll be like a fraction of the cost now?! Also a ~mother earth moment~ as loads of stuff isn't headed to landfill!
Seabrooks Prawn Cocktail and Canadian Ham are 👌🏻 Their sweetcorn flavour were amazing too 🤤

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Hi all, just popped into say, forget all those posh imposters, the best crisps of all time are Cheese XL (only available in random food outlets in the North of England eg. the butchers down the road from my mums). I have to stock up when I go home and will happily wrestle them off my kids if they happen to find my stash. Well worth a 7 hour journey up the M6 🤤👌

• Haha
A really lovely woman wanted our underlay (it's v good quality & we'd have kept it if we were sticking with carpets) - when she came she also wanted the carpets & grippers too?! I'd given away the 2 palettes the floor came on to a local business & messaged her about left over plywood as I know she was making planters with it and she wants that too!
My downstairs neighbour is like that (and I am, to a certain extent too) - something of a hoarder of unwanted yet potentially useful things. It drives our upstairs neighbours mad because we're always bringing stuff back from other peoples' gardens and whatnot, which kind of sit there until we've got round to spraypainting / building / otherwise ~restoring~ them. We've got a shared garden which is full of things like old fire grates which get used as planters and little cracked porcelain cherubs hanging from trees and whatnot. Upstairs are EXTREMELY minimalist and neat and I can't help but laugh whenever we bring back some new monstrosity (as they will no doubt see it, I personally love a bit of kitsch and clutter). They vetoed us building a planting box for courgettes and stuff in the front bit of the garden but my excellent downstairs neighbour has reclaimed a little bit of the wooded area our terrace backs onto and put it there. No homegrown courgettes for upstairs, more for us!

• Heart
I can’t believe a gravy ring isn’t savoury that’s wrong it would put me right off a donut and that’s no easy feet. Feat? Feat.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Apropos of nothing at all, but I mentioned on the mother thread a while ago that my partner lost his job (because Covid). He's just got a shiny new one! And I reckon much better suited to him than the previous one. Am so very happy and so relieved for him. I may have had a little cry, because I am a crier.

• Heart
Reactions: 57
I love Lego so much. It's silly (so I didn't say before), but at first I was so busy I didn't have time to do it, but now I am reserving the joy of building the Death Star until I've achieved something I'm working on (hahaha, JM style tease that, but I'm only not sharing the thing because I'm a bit embarrassed by it). It's going to be my reward for success. Sadly, the thing is taking a lot longer than I hoped, but one day I will build it.

This was one of my favourite ever cake orders - an Indiana Jones/Star Wars Lego crossover affair. I promise I will stop posting photos of cake now.

View attachment 194725
So, you know when you said something delightfully modest in the last thread that was along the lines of ‘I’m a fairly competent baker’ - I can see now that was a massive, massive understatement!!!!!! How talented are you?! ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 39
I bought these before a plane journey (not for leisure!) last week based purely on the packaging - do not be deceived they were AWFUL! Not salty at all... just tasted like a tin of smoked paprika had been poured on top. Had to deal with breathing in that flavour inside of my mask for the rest of the journey :rolleyes:
That packaging design is brilliant though, shame about the paprika dust taste.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Apropos of nothing at all, but I mentioned on the mother thread a while ago that my partner lost his job (because Covid). He's just got a shiny new one! And I reckon much better suited to him than the previous one. Am so very happy and so relieved for him. I may have had a little cry, because I am a crier.

Woohoo! Congratulations Mr Flumps!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
So, you know when you said something delightfully modest in the last thread that was along the lines of ‘I’m a fairly competent baker’ - I can see now that was a massive, massive understatement!!!!!! How talented are you?! ❤View attachment 194795

Have a look at the last cake I did for my oldest son - it will make you LAUGH at the sloppiness (he loves Stranger Things - I scratched out his name):
That is super cool though! Plus I never laugh at cake, it's serious business (though I cannot run said business because I loved the big ideas and the creative part, but sucked at the boring detail and minor things like charging enough to make a profit)

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Ah that’s fab!

• Heart
Oh brilliant!!!! 🌈🎉🎉🎉 that’s such happy news for you both. So pleased for you.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I am loving this thread 😍 I hope to chime in more on the lunches and dinners when I am less, you know, BUSY...but I had to add my 5 cents about crisps.

Love salt and vinegar squares, walker's worcester sauce, pickled onion monster munch, sensations thai sweet chilli, and I am obsessed with flamin' hot Cheetos and it's a good thing they are hard to come by outside of the US (l live on the continent...for triangulation purposes). As someone else mentioned, twiglets are the food of the gods and my fingers are permanently brown around Christmas time.

I have also expanded my recipe book collection based on your recommendations, including a couple of roasting tin ones, the Dishoom (not a chain) one, and the ice kitchen 😋😋

ETA: I wish you could still get Brannigan's roast beef and mustard, and they also didan amazing ham and pickle flavour too I seem to recall.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I’m going to be controversial here, but I absolutely hate salt and vinegar crisps. They are disgusting, although to be fair, I hate the taste of vinegar as well. I’m a lightly salted or cheese and onion girl. But I do love roast beef Monster Munch, Frazzles, and Tayto onion rings. Rancheros are pretty damn tasty too. Now I’ve totally triangulated myself with those last ones! 😊

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I love crisps. Would eat about 3 bags a day if I could. The best crisps are Spanish crisps, super thin, cooked in olive oil. The best brand is Torres which are ridiculously expensive but out of this world especially (food wanker alert) black truffle
But everyday crisps it is: Walkers salt and vinegar, Frazzles, Salt and vinegar chipsticks, Ringos and Smith's square crisps.

For dinner I'm making a green chilli pork curry from a lovely cookbook called Coconut and Sambal.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I love crisps. Would eat about 3 bags a day if I could. The best crisps are Spanish crisps, super thin, cooked in olive oil. The best brand is Torres which are ridiculously expensive but out of this world especially (food wanker alert) black truffle
But everyday crisps it is: Walkers salt and vinegar, Frazzles, Salt and vinegar chipsticks, Ringos and Smith's square crisps.

For dinner I'm making a green chilli pork curry from a lovely cookbook called Coconut and Sambal.
The name of that book and the idea of a green chilli pork curry have just forced, forced I tell you, to add that to my Amazon wishlist of many many cookbooks.

• Heart
Congratulations Mr Flumps! How exciting - not just a new job but a BETTER one as well. What lovely news. Please post more photos of cakes Flumps, I could look at them all day and your cakes are so beautiful.

Salt & Vinegar and Cheese & Onion crisps are both disgustang, Lidl Crusti Croc paprika are the bees bollocks 🤟 I am partial to sweet and salty popcorn too... especially the ones coated in the sticky flavouring, mmmmm

• Haha
  • Heart
My downstairs neighbour is like that (and I am, to a certain extent too) - something of a hoarder of unwanted yet potentially useful things. It drives our upstairs neighbours mad because we're always bringing stuff back from other peoples' gardens and whatnot, which kind of sit there until we've got round to spraypainting / building / otherwise ~restoring~ them. We've got a shared garden which is full of things like old fire grates which get used as planters and little cracked porcelain cherubs hanging from trees and whatnot. Upstairs are EXTREMELY minimalist and neat and I can't help but laugh whenever we bring back some new monstrosity (as they will no doubt see it, I personally love a bit of kitsch and clutter). They vetoed us building a planting box for courgettes and stuff in the front bit of the garden but my excellent downstairs neighbour has reclaimed a little bit of the wooded area our terrace backs onto and put it there. No homegrown courgettes for upstairs, more for us!
I loooove restored things, it's both the thrill of creating something (which is also why I love lego, cross topic relevance) but also doing it so cheaply / keeping stuff out of landfill? Your garden sounds lovely & exactly what a garden should be like though, they should be much funner than your house! Also duck them vetoing it how utterly joyless, surely it's 2 against 1 anyway?!

We're super minimalist inside the house but this is largely as my husband is really irritating, I think a lot of men believe that the more expensive something is the better it is and it's a continuous battle to un-train him from this mindset. I wanted this really cute table from a local cafe that was closing down, it was just a wooden table but had 4 vintage ecrol style chairs and wanted to paint them fun colours and he was appalled at the idea?! Life would be so much easier living with a woman with taste wouldn't it. I thought that earlier when I had to explain what an umbilical cord is for the fifth time.

ETA: massive congrats @Flumps that's amazing!!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.