Food & Drink #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Congratulations to Mr Flumps, great news!

For the salt and vinegar fans, I thoroughly recommend McCoys Chip Shop Salt & Vinegar Chips. They're the strongest ones I've ever tasted and bloody gorgeous, I'm just really annoyed the only supermarket remotely nearby that stocked them has now stopped :(

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Sticks head above the parapet and says I don’t like walkers crisps. They seem to have sort of stale after taste. I don’t remember golden wonder or smiths having that taste. Though confess to being a sweet rather than savoury person

congrats to mr Flumps especially in these very difficult times on the employment front

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Congrats to Mr Flumps and that cake is amazing :love:

I don't wish to disappoint my fraus but I really didn't fancy any heavy French food tonight as I am still feeling un petit *delicate* so I'm eating dan dan noodles in bed with iced mochi and Anthony Bourdain.

DSCPDC_0001_BURST20200728202840108.JPG

I did have a crepe in Montmartre though!

DSC_0021.JPG

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Life would be so much easier living with a woman with taste wouldn't it.
YES! It's no coincidence that it's the MAN upstairs who keeps putting his foot down, if it was up to his partner she'd probably just say 'go for it'. It's the reason that he seems to get automatic veto here too - I'm a single woman and so is downstairs and he seems to think he can run roughshod over us. I've only been here a couple of years so I've kind of been keeping my head down and attempting not to start any arguments (he was super fucked off when I got my dog and I didn't want to start causing any more problems), but it's really annoying having to deal with the patriarchy in action in my home space, esp. as I have deliberately tried to set up my life without such irritants!

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 20
Crisps it's all about the McCoys Ridge Cut Salt & Vinegar. 👌

100% agree with the above. Oh and Monster Munch. People always seem to open a pack of Monster Munch in the one space the smell will not diffuse #8 you're stuck with pickled onion flavour attacking your nostrils. 😫
Sorry am mid mini Grunka - pickled onion monster munch and space raiders were a major craving in early pregnancy - as in I had to ration myself or I’d just eat them en masse. Now I can’t stand them, and can so smell exactly what you’re describing 🤢.

Lidl do lovely salt and pepper crisps - clearly an imitation of kettle crisps but they taste amazing and you get a bag full of crisps.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
If I was trying to imagine what it is from the title, it wouldn’t be a donut! Or any sweet thing tbh 😂 anyone know the reason for the name ?!
I have gravy ring news!

I asked my mum earlier and apparently it is because they are rings of dough fried in hot oil (so donuts) and gravy used to mean hot oil or basically any fat or juices in the pan when cooking.

ffs it took me so long to write a sentence that this is old gravy ring news. Still going to post it because I don’t want to feel left out.

@Flumps I made the leeks! I even did my first ever cartouche. They were so tasty. This was a seriously big leek though and I definitely ate more than necessary. Feeling slightly buttery but v satisfied.

I love a McCoy - blue or brown flavour and the purple Brannigans (devastated if they don’t exist anymore, it’s been a while). On occasion a Walkers salt and vin sandwich on white bread is just the ticket.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
YES! It's no coincidence that it's the MAN upstairs who keeps putting his foot down, if it was up to his partner she's probably just say 'go for it'. It's the reason that he seems to get automatic veto here too - I'm a single woman and so is downstairs and he seems to think he can run roughshod over us. I've only been here a couple of years so I've kind of been keeping my head down and attempting not to start any arguments (he was super fucked off when I got my dog and I didn't want to start causing any more problems), but it's really annoying having to deal with the patriarchy in action in my home space, esp. as I have deliberately tried to set up my life without such irritants!
I had a neighbour like this years ago when I was single and living alone. He was such a bleeping idiot to me and the woman on the other side of me, but the man on the other side of him, Ohhhhh he couldn't stop kissing his arse. Pathetic.

• Angry
I don't usually go for ready salted crisps but the Walker's French Fries are bloody lovely.

Reactions: 6
@Flumps I made the leeks! I even did my first ever cartouche. They were so tasty. This was a seriously big leek though and I definitely ate more than necessary. Feeling slightly buttery but v satisfied.
Hurrah. Making a cartouche makes me feel all cheffy, though I know that's purely because it has a fancy name!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I can’t believe a gravy ring isn’t savoury that’s wrong it would put me right off a donut and that’s no easy feet. Feat? Feat.
I don't think NI cuisine is going to be for you.
Can be sweet (Ice cream) OR savoury (chips)

• Haha
  • Heart
D86F842A-7A71-4025-8706-405099D3CB55.jpeg

I haven’t had these since I was little but they were so spicy that they used to make the inside of your mouth feel like sponge and your fingers to go all bath wrinkly. I bet they’re not as nice now and it’s just nostalgia.

Hiding this mid crisp post but the scottish poster mentioned earlier today disappeared and later that night while JM was doing some kind of chaos I was checking twitter and there was an angry scot having a go about people here/Tattle, tagging JM in. Apologies if not allowed. I’ve been dying for someone else to notice.

I miss @MarmiteExtract too.

Fab news @Flumps What a relief? And @Pocahontas I love your Demagorgon! Wow.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Also hiding this in a crisp post about crisps which I like a lot crisps crisps crisps but @Silver Linings that poster has well and truly outed themselves on the most recent facebook post of Jack's, where she's been going off on one about veganism. I missed any angry scot on twitter in Jack's mentions so I can't say whether it's the same person. CRISPS.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I am loving this thread 😍 I hope to chime in more on the lunches and dinners when I am less, you know, BUSY...but I had to add my 5 cents about crisps.

Love salt and vinegar squares, walker's worcester sauce, pickled onion monster munch, sensations thai sweet chilli, and I am obsessed with flamin' hot Cheetos and it's a good thing they are hard to come by outside of the US (l live on the continent...for triangulation purposes). As someone else mentioned, twiglets are the food of the gods and my fingers are permanently brown around Christmas time.

I have also expanded my recipe book collection based on your recommendations, including a couple of roasting tin ones, the Dishoom (not a chain) one, and the ice kitchen 😋😋

ETA: I wish you could still get Brannigan's roast beef and mustard, and they also didan amazing ham and pickle flavour too I seem to recall.
Yes to Worcester sauce flavour but I seldom see them 😢 which might be why they’re so good - absence makes the heart grow fonder etc

ETA: 1. I remember years ago Kettle Crisps used to do an amazing tomato type flavour but you’d find it in random corner shops but not seen it for years.

2. Congrats Mr @Flumps!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Talking of doughnuts, a few years back I had the joy of a do burger. Two glazed ring doughnuts sandwiching a burger. So wrong yet so so right

• Wow
  • Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.