Food & Drink #12 Willies and mash

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve not caught up anywhere, but I just wanted to add to the voices saying how lovely you lot all are ❤
I was so pissed off when I saw ~that~ post with the screenshots. Ffs! You’ve done nothing wrong, obviously!
Anyway, I don’t know much about food or drink, but on topic (?) I don‘t really like mash, and I’d happily never see another willy for the rest of my life. I’m currently drinking a red wine and cola! Yes, combined. 🙈
Happy Friday everyone!
oh gosh, I just saw, get well soon @Harrybosch I don’t know you but you seem cool AF x
Red wine and cola is a proud Basque tradition mostly drunk by teenagers in the park. It's called kalimotxo, and you are obviously v cultured to be enjoying such a fine tipple!

@Harrybosch glad to hear that you're on the mend! I hope your doctor doesn't prescribe breaking your vegan vows with cheap wet ham and oily fish

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
Sorry to pick you out of the crowd, especially as you've mentioned social anxiety,;) but in all seriousness, there is no 'gang'. But having seen a few posts like this I wanted to chime in. We're just a bunch of people who couldn't keep on topic on the MT, so have ended up here, plus a few other lovelies that have joined in on the way. No 'gang', no agenda and it's upsetting to me, even though I'm just a numpty who goes on about recipes a lot and isn't nearly as funny or smart as many of the folks here, that that suggestion got thrown around. I see why, and I don't think it's anything to do with anyone here, and I hate the thought that anyone would be put off posting here because of it.

ETA: Also, for the love of duck, would people please stop posting that photo of those terrifying sausages. THANKYOU!
Agreed completely with this, honestly anyone is welcome & we’ve posted the link on the MT a few times. There is absolutely no gang, the only times the MT is discussed is when there’s bigotry going on, or on occasion someone will mention taking a break as it’s proving too triggering because of Jack herself. Get involved to anyone lurking, we evidently love a chat 😂 I would tag people but baby is kicking my flabby tummy so better give her attention !! I hope you all had lovely Friday nights, my sleep was atrocious praying for a better Saturday night 😫 xx

I do wish there were more hours in the day, so I could keep up with you all here, as well as over there.

I went to the Harry Potter studio tour today (Found tickets online yesterday!), it was fab, except for the butter beer. Didn’t eat there, and did veggie burgers and curly fries when we got home, which were bloody lovely.
omg what did this taste like? ETA - caught up and saw CREAM SODA? No no no! When I went* it looked gross af like congealed and weird, like it could be a lush shower product? As a kid I dreamed of it tasting like melted butter / would have died to try it but as an adult it looked grim 😷

* husband did it as a surprise cos I loved HP as a kid and my brother used to take me to the midnight book launches, bless him great intentions and all duck me it’s a lot of HP, a truly jam packed 3 hours 🥴 Also there’s a Starbucks by the entrance but they don’t let you take your drink through?! You desperately need the upper!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Butter beer is a butterscotch cream soda flavour definitely not like root beer which I’m personally not a fan of. In Florida you can also get a frozen or hot option 😋

Reactions: 11
Am planning to make a broccoli soup tomorrow. Haven't made it before but remember being served similar and had the urge to give it a go. The plan: fry some onions and chilli, add broccoli and water/stock and cook for a bit, then add coconut milk and then blend. Was also thinking about grinding some walnuts and garlic together, after hearing someone say it on a podcast the other day, probably will kind of sprinkle over the top/mix in when serving. Has anyone ever made a soup like this before, any tips?? Anything I could be adding for better taste? Cheers in advance!
Skipping ahead but weirdly I had a real yen for broccoli yesterday so had my first in months. I did it as a pasta sauce, with butter, anchovies, chilli flakes, garlic and (Maverick) the last of some creme fraiche which needed using. It was lovely.
In other news perhaps I am being optimistic but things seemed to have improved over there <<<<<< so it seems like yesterday's little drama might have been a good thing in the long run?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I was BUSY last night so just dipped in and out and missed what actually happened in real time. Love to Fraus who were upset by it all ❤

Lovely to see loads of new people here, so one good thing came of it.

Am I only one shocked about the proposed 2nd national lockdown? Honestly I did not see that coming! I have made a little pledge to myself to use the time to make sure I eat properly so will spend today batch cooking and freezing portions for one. When the kids are at Bin-Cunts I am finding it hard being on my own and making the effort to cook just for me.

I started to get quite excited about the prospect of dating after texting these two men who seem nice. A national lockdown now makes it as exciting as having a bleeping pen pal.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 28
Can’t believe I missed all the narsty carryons yesterday. Absolutely get to duck ❤, all of you who might have felt sad or slighted xxxx

I saw a second lockdown coming but kind of “la la la-ed” fingers in earsed it a bit, so sending love to everyone dreading it. I am going to celebrate the things I might miss this weekend according to the surprise priorities lockdown 1 exposed: a maccys brekko, a wee trip in person to m&s, and a pub roast on Sunday.

Don’t know why any rogue MT Hyacinths can’t see the bird/traaaazers irony 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Heart
  • Haha
Skipping ahead but weirdly I had a real yen for broccoli yesterday so had my first in months. I did it as a pasta sauce, with butter, anchovies, chilli flakes, garlic and (Maverick) the last of some creme fraiche which needed using. It was lovely.
In other news perhaps I am being optimistic but things seemed to have improved over there <<<<<< so it seems like yesterday's little drama might have been a good thing in the long run?
Sounds lovely, and yea same here, just got a craving from nowhere for broccoli, looking forward to some soup today. And am probably a bit slow, but the drama that seems to have occurred yesterday has gone right over my head. Tempted to ask what it was about but, perhaps best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Reactions: 18
We're gonna have to name the next thread something like "Food and Drink #13 All are welcome here" or
"Food and Drink #13 We're not a gang i swear, please come and talk to us" at this rate 😄

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Well that is good to hear. Just fingering my cannoli this morning in advance of watching Nigella on SK. Will Jack get a Matt very much Matt mention?

After all this donut talk around here, I'm wondering how best to ice my ring. Anyone got any strong opinions on dipping versus drizzling?

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Sounds lovely, and yea same here, just got a craving from nowhere for broccoli, looking forward to some soup today. And am probably a bit slow, but the drama that seems to have occurred yesterday has gone right over my head. Tempted to ask what it was about but, perhaps best to let sleeping dogs lie.
I know you foodie Frauen are all over this already, but roasted broccoli (broken into florets, very lightly coated in oil, high heat), dressed hot out of the oven with soya sauce, lemon juice and sesame oil is the best. Sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds if you have them and fresh chilli if you like that sort of thing.

@Harrybosch glad to hear that you're on the mend! I hope your doctor doesn't prescribe breaking your vegan vows with cheap wet ham and oily fish
Funnily enough, no medical professional gave a tit about my Covid diet. I'm obvs very grateful that even though Mr H and I felt rotten, we didn't get it bad enough for any medical intervention. It was strange though, having to drive to a test centre and doing the test ourselves (we are def NOT medical professionals, so I nearly made Mr H throw up by trying to be extra thorough in the swabbing). When we got the results, the only medical advice we got was STAY AT HOME! I mean, fair enough, what else is there to say? Track and trace keep ringing us separately to check we are STILL AT HOME (and alive, I guess?).

SB has completed Disney+. BB is socially distancing himself from all of us by staying in his room and only coming out for snacks.

Last edited:
  • Heart
After all this donut talk around here, I'm wondering how best to ice my ring. Anyone got any strong opinions on dipping versus drizzling?

It is a tough one. I did once experiment with double-dipping, but have tended to go with a dip and drizzle strategy on fresh, warm buns in recent years.

we know from past occasions that they will leave in the end as they're not actually interested in joking round or forming a light hearted community and just want to spread hate. Do what you feel comfortable doing, whether its taking a break from the threads, one of the options i use above, or if you have your own strategy, know that racist wine aunts are temporary but the coven is frau-ever 😜

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
I’ve had a Jack free day!

Someone upthread asked about Cronuts near
Brick Lane. Was it Rinkoff’s bakery? I’ve only been there once and it was to try their bagels.
Again on a grunka so hoping this lands ok... yes it was Rinkoff’s having googled the outside of the bakery! Your food knowledge of London is brilliant. I doubt I’ll be back in London soon due to Covid/maternity leave but have been book marking your suggestions for when I do return.

Also in reference to MT I just have that bit out of Bridget Jones where her mates go ‘duck Em’. Also part of me hopes they do have random screenshots of our post birth chats on their phone cause that will be awkward if someone is scrolling through their pics and comes across them. But just to reiterate what’s already been said (realise the conversation is possibly back to bum mints by now) this thread is a great place to be and all of you Frauen und Herren are bloody lovely with your endless support here alongside the endless provision of randomness and hoots in between the food chat.

Back to thread I had Lilds buttermilk pancakes this morning (too lazy to cook them myself at the moment) and they were so good for a shop bought pancake - really fluffy. Morrison’s buttermilk pancakes are pretty good but sainos are dry.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Just posting to say I hope I have never offended anyone with my posts. I sometimes (well probably too many times) overshare. I'm a boomer, I was pissed off to find that out recently, I thought I was Gen X, scrape in as a boomer by a month or so!

Have on various threads shared the death of my son and my husband, my son just over 20 years ago, my husband (in his forties) just less than 10.

If anyone else is grieving, I fully empathise, it is hard, I just aim to be a survivor not a victim and don't succeed every day, I had months a few years ago I found it hard to get myself out of bed . For anyone struggling there is only one way to grieve, your way and it takes as long as it takes... 💔
❤

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.