Food & Drink #12 Willies and mash

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Babe same (though mine is due to a few power cuts over the years) the oven clock is just random numbers at this stage :LOL:
Ours is correct because my partner didn't change it in March! I accept having it correct for half the year is pretty good innings if I can avoid getting the oven manual out and undertaking what feels like defusing an atomic bomb!

@EddieBeds your feelings sound completely and utterly valid! Especially because it's sleep and you are raising v young children who deprive you of it through no fault of their own so you need to snatch back hours wherever you can! Can you have an afternoon nap at all?

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Looool I love this thread, just catching up on the last whilst trapped under a sleepy baby and chuckling along.

Not food but you know the Netflix American family murder documentary? The husband’s girlfriend is shady as duck did you guys know this?! She was googling some weird tit I’ve been listening to podcasts about it as ~research
There is a thread about that documentary on Tattle. I haven’t seen it nor listened to any podcasts but did read about it.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Just catching up from yesterday. I hope Mr @Flumps is feeling better today.

@Alansbigplate that cottage pie looks *chefs kiss* proper good home cooking that is. I love cottage pie. Mary Berry has a delicious version in her Favourites book that has crispy crushed potatoes on top which I really recommend giving a go.

On the topic of food, I’ve only just discovered that Helena from GBBO 2019 had a book out last month. It’s full of spooky themed bakes so I’ve just ordered it in time for some Halloween baking this week.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Just catching up from yesterday. I hope Mr @Flumps is feeling better today.

@Alansbigplate that cottage pie looks *chefs kiss* proper good home cooking that is. I love cottage pie. Mary Berry has a delicious version in her Favourites book that has crispy crushed potatoes on top which I really recommend giving a go.

On the topic of food, I’ve only just discovered that Helena from GBBO 2019 had a book out last month. It’s full of spooky themed bakes so I’ve just ordered it in time for some Halloween baking this week.
I follow her on Instagram - I love her.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Catching up here while scoffing my lunch (parsnip and lentil soup, looks like proper slop but it's delicious so I'm not too worried about it being anything like a JM monstrosity). Love this thread, have totally gone off the MT recently. I don't have many mam/foodie friends so this place is a godsend!

How do I do a spoiler for boring toddler chat? Anyway, boring toddler chat incoming...

Another night of hijinks for my lad. Same performance as Friday night, wailing and wimpering in the cot, brought into our bed to calm him down and bingo! Crazy party fun times. I have a cut on my eye this morning because he accidentally punched me and has ridiculously long nails at the moment. He looks like Mr Burns in that Howard Hughes pisstake episode. Maybe I should get a shimmery Urban Decay palette out and post a selfie?

Baked spuds with baked beans tonight, my partner has so honourably offered to 'cook' as it's almost always me sorting food. Typical that it's the bloody easiest thing on the menu all week!

Also, I had a vegan Nutella doughnut today and it was better than (marital, post-childbirth) sex. We're really spoilt where we live - used to be a run-down seaside town on the North East coast (🔺- free chicken livers to anyone who guesses correctly) but has been gentrified recently by twats like us so all these cool coffeeshops and bakeries keep popping up. Not doing my bank balance any favours mind.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Catching up here while scoffing my lunch (parsnip and lentil soup, looks like proper slop but it's delicious so I'm not too worried about it being anything like a JM monstrosity). Love this thread, have totally gone off the MT recently. I don't have many mam/foodie friends so this place is a godsend!

How do I do a spoiler for boring toddler chat? Anyway, boring toddler chat incoming...

Another night of hijinks for my lad. Same performance as Friday night, wailing and wimpering in the cot, brought into our bed to calm him down and bingo! Crazy party fun times. I have a cut on my eye this morning because he accidentally punched me and has ridiculously long nails at the moment. He looks like Mr Burns in that Howard Hughes pisstake episode. Maybe I should get a shimmery Urban Decay palette out and post a selfie?

Baked spuds with baked beans tonight, my partner has so honourably offered to 'cook' as it's almost always me sorting food. Typical that it's the bloody easiest thing on the menu all week!

Also, I had a vegan Nutella doughnut today and it was better than (marital, post-childbirth) sex. We're really spoilt where we live - used to be a run-down seaside town on the North East coast (🔺- free chicken livers to anyone who guesses correctly) but has been gentrified recently by twats like us so all these cool coffeeshops and bakeries keep popping up. Not doing my bank balance any favours mind.
My youngest scratched me right under the eye once, one cm closer and he would have got my eyeball. Kids, ey?

I’m guessing ... Whitby?

• Heart
My youngest scratched me right under the eye once, one cm closer and he would have got my eyeball. Kids, ey?

I’m guessing ... Whitby?
So close but sadly no chicken livers for you today Poca, try further north!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11

Ouch! How’s the eye now? My daughter did the same to me a few months ago and 111 told me to go to A&E. I felt stupid but they checked that it wasn’t serious and numbed my eye so definitely worth making a call if you’re uncomfortable (though I understand if you have to be/are wary re: covid)

No idea about the town but that donut sounds amazing! I think the presence of chains in every town has made the independent places feel the pressure to offer something special more than before. My town is a bit rubbish but the quality of independent cafes/restaurants has improved dramatically in recent years. It’s really nice to see (no gentrification here, though the neighbouring village is fancy)

Reactions: 9
So close but sadly no chicken livers for you today Poca, try further north!
Ohhh Hartlepool?
Holding out for these chicken livers (no, no I’m not, I have no desire for them at all.)
Hope your ouchy eye is ok

Reactions: 8
Not sure if you’re around @Nottonightbabe , but way back months ago you mentioned an online Nigel Slater Christmas Chronicles book club/read along. Thank you, I’ve joined and ordered the book and it all looks amazing. Going to carve out 15 mins every evening to just sit on my own and read that day’s entry! 🎄

• Heart
I'm also going with whitley Bay (Tynemouth has been posh for years, cant ever imagine Blyth or Ashington gentrified, id be pleased to hear Whitley is doing well - when i left north east spanish city was still in a seemingly endless restoration phase)

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Today I was a domestic goddess and we had home made soup for lunch with home made bread The bread was done in the bread maker. Can recommend BBC GoodFood spiced carrot and lentil soup even OxfordBoy who doesn’t eat lentils liked it

Ours is correct because my partner didn't change it in March! I accept having it correct for half the year is pretty good innings if I can avoid getting the oven manual out and undertaking what feels like defusing an atomic bomb!

@EddieBeds your feelings sound completely and utterly valid! Especially because it's sleep and you are raising v young children who deprive you of it through no fault of their own so you need to snatch back hours wherever you can! Can you have an afternoon nap at all?
Thank you. Managed to have a small nap (no dinosaur snores or whatever twit face aka JM calls it) and then dragged it out further by cleaning the bathroom!

We’re having cottage pie after being influenced by @Alansbigplate. The other half cooked the potatoes-fml he boiled them to within an inch of their life and they looked like some sort of MT slop offering when drained. Hoping I’ve managed to rescue them by heating up the drained slop to ‘cook off’ some of the liquid.

ETA pic of rescued mash - the top is hiding the slight sloppy nature of the mash.
8AA9F755-C79F-4889-96AA-F8F8D0E2D055.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart
Today I was a domestic goddess and we had home made soup for lunch with home made bread The bread was done in the bread maker. Can recommend BBC GoodFood spiced carrot and lentil soup even OxfordBoy who doesn’t eat lentils liked it
I love that soup. When I serve soup as meal though Mr NP looks at me like Shirley Valentine’s husband. “I’m not eating this. Where’s my steak?”

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.