Food & Drink #12 Willies and mash

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Today I was a domestic goddess and we had home made soup for lunch with home made bread The bread was done in the bread maker. Can recommend BBC GoodFood spiced carrot and lentil soup even OxfordBoy who doesn’t eat lentils liked it
That sounds literally amazing, random question, but how many people have bread makers and is it worth it? I already have a rice maker I don't use, but to be fair I rarely eat rice but love bread.. but have people found they buy it and make use of it or not? (I have limited kitchen storage so this is important! (and if so recommendations of brands)

Reactions: 7
The trouble with bread makers imo is they are bluddy huge even the so called compact ones

We have a Panosonic compact one but I only do a standard 500g white loaf in it

We have a very small kitchen so it lives in the under stairs cupboard between uses it’s place on the work surface having been usurped by a coffee machine

It is dead easy to use and makes a nice loaf

Reactions: 8
The trouble with bread makers imo is they are bluddy huge even the so called compact ones

We have a Panosonic compact one but I only do a standard 500g white loaf in it

We have a very small kitchen so it lives in the under stairs cupboard between uses it’s place on the work surface having been usurped by a coffee machine

It is dead easy to use and makes a nice loaf
Yeah this was my thinking, but ooh that sounds good, I have a storage cupboard I could keep it in too and ther's only 2 of us so that would really be enough, thanks!

Reactions: 7
I love making bread but don't have a bread maker, I just do it the old fashioned way (and pretend I'm on bake off by camping out in front of the oven).

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Hope it’s okay to pop my head around the corner and to make a first food related comment on tattle, a break for the Monroe vortex is called for. It’s soon full on white-winter where we are and that means firing up the grill, today was our first of the season. We went for the classic, fish burgers, slightly burned but glorious..

Gonna have a pop at the town, Berwick-Upon-Tweed!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Thank you. Managed to have a small nap (no dinosaur snores or whatever twit face aka JM calls it) and then dragged it out further by cleaning the bathroom!

We’re having cottage pie after being influenced by @Alansbigplate. The other half cooked the potatoes-fml he boiled them to within an inch of their life and they looked like some sort of MT slop offering when drained. Hoping I’ve managed to rescue them by heating up the drained slop to ‘cook off’ some of the liquid.

ETA pic of rescued mash - the top is hiding the slight sloppy nature of the mash.
View attachment 287593
Nom! Looks lush god I love creamy mash, we had more of ours for lunch

Reactions: 10
That sounds literally amazing, random question, but how many people have bread makers and is it worth it? I already have a rice maker I don't use, but to be fair I rarely eat rice but love bread.. but have people found they buy it and make use of it or not? (I have limited kitchen storage so this is important! (and if so recommendations of brands)
I had a small Lakeland one that I ended up selling because it took up precious cupboard space that we’re already very short of, and I hardly ever used it. I didn’t rate the loaf that came out of it and you always end up with a hole in the middle from the paddle. I prefer making it the old fashioned way when I can be arsed. If you have a stand mixer with a dough hook then you can use that for kneading (which is the bit I hate!)

I had a small Lakeland one that I ended up selling because it took up precious cupboard space that we’re already very short of, and I hardly ever used it. I didn’t rate the loaf that came out of it and you always end up with a hole in the middle from the paddle. I prefer making it the old fashioned way when I can be arsed. If you have a stand mixer with a dough hook then you can use that for kneading (which is the bit I hate!)
Yea we have one, far and away the best machine in the house that never gets used..

• Haha
I love making bread but don't have a bread maker, I just do it the old fashioned way (and pretend I'm on bake off by camping out in front of the oven).
hopefully without the dramatic bake off disasters :LOL:. I went though a phase when I was younger (and lived with my parents who had a dishwasher) of cooking everything as if i was on a cooking show, every ingredient in its own little dish. needless to say now, as I have no dishwasher and despise washing up, that phase has ended :LOL:

ahh good idea!

The hole from the paddle is annoying but it is lovely to set it on the timer to have fresh bread ready for the weekend when you wake up

I CBA with the mess of kneading bread on our small worktop although I could use the stand mixer but for a domestic goddess lazy ass like me the bread maker is quick and easy and minimal clean up

Reactions: 5
I’m always late but I’m also guessing Whitley Bay

Sorry I'm late too because I've been BUSY but yes, bingo, it is indeed Whitley Bay!

Spanish City was restored and reopened a couple of years ago, it's got a posh fish and chip restaurant, a tearoom beloved of glam nanas, a champagne bar and a nice micropub. Still has the proper arcades and Di Meo's ice cream (the best ever 😋) right behind it so it seems to be striking the right balance between traditional seaside and modern, family-friendly places to get a good coffee. Bloody love it up here like.

ETA: North East frau meet-up once this ducking 'rona is over/the Tories get their arses in gear (I know which one seems more likely). I can't be the only one in this neck of the woods!

Baked spud update: disappointing. We had the reduced sugar/salt baked beans for the sake of the toddler but they aren't a patch on Heinz. Anyone got good ideas for vegan jacket potato fillings to try in future?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Vegan chili
Pulled Oumph as featured on SKL yesterday on offer at Tesco if you have a club card
Add sweet chilli sauce to baked beans or veg Worcestershire sauce

• Heart
Love Whitley Bay.... tbh a lot of areas up here are unrecognisable from the time I moved across the Pennines (20 years ago).

In terms of potato toppings, we go for bolognese (I find the Tesco vegan mince the nicest 😋) and I tried a weird thing with kale where I mixed the cooked potato with grated violife and cooked kale and put back in the shells, topped with more cheese and rebaked.

• Heart
Love Whitley Bay.... tbh a lot of areas up here are unrecognisable from the time I moved across the Pennines (20 years ago).

In terms of potato toppings, we go for bolognese (I find the Tesco vegan mince the nicest 😋) and I tried a weird thing with kale where I mixed the cooked potato with grated violife and cooked kale and put back in the shells, topped with more cheese and rebaked.
Oohhh this sounds good, and sweet chilli and Omph is a great idea too @Oxford_Girl thank [space]you

I can say with great pride that I do know how to change the clock on my oven. In other news, had anyone tried these? I have tried the spiced buns and they aren’t bad but am looking forward to trying the lemon curd ones.
Yes! I love the iced and spiced ones. Lemon were good too but spiced are my favourites. They have other flavours too like apple and raspberry but they don’t seem to be available all the time.

This is worth trying from Sainsbury’s. It keeps well in the cupboard and needs to be added to water. Will absorb flavours you add.
I spotted these the other day and wondered if they were any good. I think they also do a falafel mix too that I'd like to try. Thanks for the ideas, getting a bit stuck in a rut food-wise at the moment so these are really helpful.

This is worth trying from Sainsbury’s. It keeps well in the cupboard and needs to be added to water. Will absorb flavours you add.
I tried that ages ago but was terrified about how much it made!!!! It swelled up so much!

But I agree it did absorb flavours well.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.