Food & Drink #12 Willies and mash

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You've obviously started a pile on, out of stock!

A flash of lightning briefly startles a solitary figure in her crappy bungalow. Accidentally conquering her fears, she returns to the task at hand. With no lightbulbs in the house, the room is lit solely by Jack monroe's thirty three phones, each logged into a different new look account.

She's done it.

Finally, she has taken her revenge against that cohort of mithering mavens.

Is anyone else having the “how the hell do you change the time on the oven?” Argument?
You don't, the oven sets the time and you wait for the universe to bend to its will again in the summer.😄

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I had a “you don’t need to change the clock on the heating “ conversation with my son (who always thinks he is right). Will ignore him and change it tomorrow.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
A flash of lightning briefly startles a solitary figure in her crappy bungalow. Accidentally conquering her fears, she returns to the task at hand. With no lightbulbs in the house, the room is lit solely by Jack monroe's thirty three phones, each logged into a different new look account.

She's done it.

You don't, the oven sets the time and you wait for the universe to bend to its will again in the summer.😄
😱 you mean mackie stole all the socks? So the ninny’s could not co-ordinate? I’m shooketh I tell you

• Haha
Reactions: 8

She's done it.

Ditto the clock in the car

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Is anyone else having the “how the hell do you change the time on the oven?” Argument?
I think that comes under the QI programme answer 'nobody knows'. The only way I have worked out how to correct mind is to turn the plug off and then back on at exactly midnight!

• Haha
  • Heart
Can you find the user guide online?
I found every single oven manual apart from ours Mr ssw did it in the end so now you’d think he’s just invented time travel. What is it with men & things with buttons they will not be defeated? I was all in favour of leaving it.

Ditto the clock in the car
Now you mention it I think once it hits 2am our car clock will be the right time hurrah 🎉

• Haha
The dubious use of stuffing mix by someone recently has strangely boosted some memories I have of my maternal grandmother. She was a marvelous giving woman who tragically lost her firstborn daughter shortly after birth and then her husband in the Battle of Britain.

We went to her house every Boxing Day in my memory for a full turkey dinner. It meant that our family Christmas dinners were unconventional, duck and orange salad (it was the 70s) an Indian thali for instance but turkey was for Boxing Day!

Anyway grandma came up with an easy way of improving packet stuffing mix, it would have been Paxo, but only because she predated own brands. I would like to share, hope you will indulge me.

This is for a 170g packet of sage and onion or parsley and thyme. Take 8oz of chopped onions, add them to a pan, add the amount of water stated on the packet, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the stuffing mix and a good knob of butter (around 1oz). Put in a buttered baking dish, add a few small flecks of butter on top. Bake according to packet instructions. The onions stop the stuffing being too stodgy. I may be overwhelmed by nostalgia though but have done it this way since.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Is anyone watching the bridge (the ch4 building a bridge reality show not the moody Nordic drama)? How much fun would it be to go on it
I just went to find them and...

😐😐😐
I guess you'll have to join a waiting list for these very exclusive socks... 😜

Do you reckon one of the staff listed it as a joke and got the shock of their life when some muppet (me) actually ordered them ?! 😄

(I love that photo and i hadnt thought about the rugrats for years but now im remembering that edgy conspiracy theory that it was all happening in angelicas coma dream or some nonsense 😄😄😄)

ETA THEY'RE ON NEW LOOK FOR TWO POUNDS Not so exclusive after all :p
Omg thank you, I’m not a sock frau but this thread has made me realise how weird that is! Looove Shrek, I wish there were Shrek PJs! I got the Aunt Selma & Patty ones from the Simpsons x ASOS collab but they’re too big as I wore them in late pregnancy and have definitely stretched them out beyond all recognition. The top is funny cos you can sort of see a ghost belly outline.

@Shesaidwhat? oooh you’re fancy 😂 our electric gets turned off regularly cos of work in the house and I cba to reset the oven time every time so it is what it is 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Heart
I think we've only ever had one oven with a clock, and it definitely wasn't ever changed! There was also a dishwasher in that house we were too scared to use 😂

Just making some chilli for tea, which we'll have with wraps and salad. My project for next week is to try and bug proof the food cupboard, as the little fuckers had got in my spices again 😡 Thankfully it was pre seasoned mince, but it's such a waste to keep throwing things out.

• Wow
So.... after being up all night, the MT getting slightly too much for me and my addiction to chocolate buttons (giant) needing to end, I have decided that I need to spend more time here ☺.

You all seem so lovely, your food seems like it will be the best thing to encourage me to cook and well, I won’t be stomping around like a hairy little minx.

@Flumps, I hope Mr Flumps is on the mend. Not being able to be with loved ones in their time of need is just one of the things the last few months has thrown at us. 😞

Tonight is cauliflower cheese (with VEGAN cheese sauce). No pics because, well we all know what cauli cheese tends to look like. And it is not photogenic.

ETA I apologise for not catching up through all the threads, only the current one....

• Heart
Reactions: 21
@MarthaFarkus tagging you over here xx please do look after yourself and message your course leader about a break. Uni shouldn’t be a miserable experience or perverse endurance challenge, you deserve to enjoy it and soak in all that ~education~ and taking time out to restore will really help you. I got signed off with MH a few months ago before mat leave and was really reluctant to take it as I felt like a failure / disappointment / lazy but didn’t realise that was just the sadness talking? That time to actually look after myself plus CBT has really helped me and I’d recommend it to anyone ❤❤❤

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I think we've only ever had one oven with a clock, and it definitely wasn't ever changed! There was also a dishwasher in that house we were too scared to use 😂

Just making some chilli for tea, which we'll have with wraps and salad. My project for next week is to try and bug proof the food cupboard, as the little fuckers had got in my spices again 😡 Thankfully it was pre seasoned mince, but it's such a waste to keep throwing things out.
‘Straya.

what kind of bugs? Sorry, I’m being nosy. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 10
This is for a 170g packet of sage and onion or parsley and thyme. Take 8oz of chopped onions, add them to a pan, add the amount of water stated on the packet, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the stuffing mix and a good knob of butter (around 1oz). Put in a buttered baking dish, add a few small flecks of butter on top. Bake according to packet instructions. The onions stop the stuffing being too stodgy. I may be overwhelmed by nostalgia though but have done it this way since.
This is how my nan has always done it too!

I think your toddler and mine must be in a WhatsApp group planning this tit because that is word for word exactly what happened in our house last night! 😹
Mine clearly joined it to last night - my partner ended up sleeping on the floor (or camping out as the toddler calls it) as I was feeding the baby. Clocks going back didn’t help! Though I did remember to change the Gro clock before he went to bed (took a few attempts as the instructions are long gone) so he at least stayed in his room, just used my partner as an assault course/target practice.

@Flumps hope your partner is feeling better today and you're both well 💕
Yous must have a thread on toddle.life they both follow :ROFLMAO:
Love the idea of Toddle.Life and toddlers plotting how to piss off their parents with thread titles such as ‘what unidentifiable material shall I tread into the carpet today’ 😂.

Oh @heretoreaditall2019 I’d forgotten about The Bridge - is it worth a watch? I keep seeing ads for a celeb show on ITV with Freddie Flintoff - not sure what they have to do but looks a bit survival esq and think it could be so bad it’s good? No idea when it starts and I may have misunderstood it completely from the ad!

@Flumps glad your partner is feeling better.

ETA: Thank you @Readingismyhobby

My first world problem this morning is that my other half was meant to take the boys for a couple of hours to allow me to bank some sleep. But he never effing listens properly (his brain is too busy thinking of the next thing) so by the time I’d had to explain some really basic things (about 3 times as he just doesn’t listen properly - even though we’d had a conversation last night) and he noisily banged about getting washed and dressed I was then wide awake with no chance of falling back asleep. Because I’m tired/hormonal just found it irrationally frustrating and have ended up taking the baby back for a feed. Though I’m sulking in bed with the tv on which then gives me the mum guilt for the toddler - who is actually quite happy downstairs bossing my partner back.

I think what really pissed me off is he was given the opportunity to have a lay in/‘time off’ yesterday as my mum was here and I was up early to get my flu jab (in itself hilarious - our surgery had a clinic on and I was the youngest by like 50 years easily but those OAPs can move at speed when there is a queue to join!) so we went for breakfast after and then to the supermarket with the boys while he got to sleep in etc undisturbed for several hours. I didn’t think it was too much to ask for two hours to sleep. Sorry I realise I’m being an irrational privileged twunt and it’s a first world problem but need to rant it out!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Mine clearly joined it to last night - my partner ended up sleeping on the floor (or camping out as the toddler calls it) as I was feeding the baby. Clocks going back didn’t help! Though I did remember to change the Gro clock before he went to bed (took a few attempts as the instructions are long gone) so he at least stayed in his room, just used my partner as an assault course/target practice.

Love the idea of Toddle.Life and toddlers plotting how to piss off their parents with thread titles such as ‘what unidentifiable material shall I tread into the carpet today’ 😂.

Oh @heretoreaditall2019 I’d forgotten about The Bridge - is it worth a watch? I keep seeing ads for a celeb show on ITV with Freddie Flintoff - not sure what they have to do but looks a bit survival esq and think it could be so bad it’s good? No idea when it starts and I may have misunderstood it completely from the ad!

@Flumps glad your partner is feeling better.

ETA: Thank you @Readingismyhobby

My first world problem this morning is that my other half was meant to take the boys for a couple of hours to allow me to bank some sleep. But he never effing listens properly (his brain is too busy thinking of the next thing) so by the time I’d had to explain some really basic things (about 3 times as he just doesn’t listen properly - even though we’d had a conversation last night) and he noisily banged about getting washed and dressed I was then wide awake with no chance of falling back asleep. Because I’m tired/hormonal just found it irrationally frustrating and have ended up taking the baby back for a feed. Though I’m sulking in bed with the tv on which then gives me the mum guilt for the toddler - who is actually quite happy downstairs bossing my partner back.

I think what really pissed me off is he was given the opportunity to have a lay in/‘time off’ yesterday as my mum was here and I was up early to get my flu jab (in itself hilarious - our surgery had a clinic on and I was the youngest by like 50 years easily but those OAPs can move at speed when there is a queue to join!) so we went for breakfast after and then to the supermarket with the boys while he got to sleep in etc undisturbed for several hours. I didn’t think it was too much to ask for two hours to sleep. Sorry I realise I’m being an irrational privileged twunt and it’s a first world problem but need to rant it out!
No you are not! These things are important and as you say he got some time to himself yesterday. Those extra few hours are precious. Any chance of him taking them to the park later for you to have a nap? I am sure my ex used to deliberately misunderstand me at times and it would drive me crazy.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
No you are not! These things are important and as you say he got some time to himself yesterday. Those extra few hours are precious. Any chance of him taking them to the park later for you to have a nap? I am sure my ex used to deliberately misunderstand me at times and it would drive me crazy.
Thank you ❤. I don’t think it helped when I (metaphorically) was banging my head against the wall re-explaining that he then went ‘I’m just clarifying’...um no you didn’t listen in the first place so I’m not clarifying anything but repeating it all! For me it’s the simple thing of if I can bank some sleep I know I’ll then be happier for them all instead of trying to walk through treacle - don’t get me wrong those days will still happen but if I can I’ll bank some sleep to help make them less frequent.

Oh I hadn’t even thought of something like packing them off to the park - if the weather holds out will suggest that aka push him out the door with the buggy and toddler and swiftly lock the door behind! Have handed baby back over and said I’m off for a shower - wondering how long I can stretch it out for?!

For the other Frauen who were discussing toiletries - I am living through you all. I have sensitive skin so use really bland/non fragranced products in the shower (epiderm for the win) but love the smell of some shower gels, especially orange scents. I also got post partum hives which was fun - I swear the amount of E45 I was using to calm my skin I was then flammable with all the paraffin in it! Thankfully it’s gone now but really made me appreciate how others with year round/life long skin conditions cope.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.