Food & Drink #12 Willies and mash

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I do all of the gifts from Santa! My two dont get much in comparison to other people but I usually get pjs, a board game each, a book and something else that they have specifically asked for. I have an overly generous family that I am always trying to reel in as they go a bid mad.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I don't have kids myself, but my sister does the "Something you want, something you need and something to read" rule of thumb for her kids' Christmas presents, which I always think is a quite a nice idea.
That’s a lovely idea, as it sets the expectation that you are not going to get lots of things just for the sake of opening multiple things, but you can then think of items that match the want, need, read. :)

I have no kids but think this is a great idea.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Hello frauen I have been very inactive on the last thread but thought a lovely brand spanking new one would be a good time to drop in again! Congratulations on getting through to the second round @Begborrowsteal !

Does anyone have any good recommendations for vegetarian mince that don't involve grating a mushroom? I usually use quorn but its really been upsetting my stomach of late (although maybe that's just the mushroom soup 👀).

• Heart
Reactions: 18
They already booked me a second interview 😂🙌🙌 much quicker than I expected!
Omg yes!! Well done that’s such fab news, also on a Friday so you can 💃🏻 fiesta forever 💃🏻 this weekend! Agree with Marmite they must have loved you!

Finally caught up! Did anyone watch the new Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix?
The first ep is about a man who was found dead and he had worked for the american gov before so he was a big deal. Aaaanyhoo, the doc seemed really vague and hand wavy so I googled it, as you do, and they’d missed out loads of really important points and evidence. Why bother choose a subject for a programme and present it all superior if you know in today’s day and age you’ll get pulled up on it. Profits, I know, but just seemed particularly off when it’s real people. Every style of documentary now is a rip off of Making a Murderer and Serial now anyway.
YES! I think a big part of it is just generating content on the cheap so they’re not even that well researched? It’s sort of like those tit crime channels on sky where they do the cheaply made re-enactments 😫 podcasts tend to be better but I suppose they don’t need to meet TV standards or worry about watershed or age ratings too?

On Christmas I love that saying something they want, need, eat, read! Baby will be 4 months so capable of absolutely none of those 😂

• Heart
Hello frauen I have been very inactive on the last thread but thought a lovely brand spanking new one would be a good time to drop in again! Congratulations on getting through to the second round @Begborrowsteal !

Does anyone have any good recommendations for vegetarian mince that don't involve grating a mushroom? I usually use quorn but its really been upsetting my stomach of late (although maybe that's just the mushroom soup 👀).
I usually use quorn as well, but I spotted Linda McCartney's mince the other day and I think I'm going to give that a go. Might be worth a shot?

1603454233567.png

• Heart
I usually use quorn as well, but I spotted Linda McCartney's mince the other day and I think I'm going to give that a go. Might be worth a shot?

View attachment 285263
I alternate between this one and quorn.
Maybe it was the ... soup, Lava 😂

Afternoon coven

I’m interested in what you do for Christmas presents with your kids. I have no interest in buying mountains of presents (especially as daughters birthday is end of November too!) so birthday she is getting a Bluetooth speaker so she can listen to her crappy pop music in a different room and dinner out.we’ve bought tickets for Harry Potter world thing in Watford (?) for Christmas as a family present. I personally think that’s more than enough money wise but also she is 8 and if she doesn’t have actual stuff to open she might feel a bit shortchanged?!

I am aware as I write this what a privileged 1st world problem this is but interested in others opinions on how you do Christmas presents and getting a balance right and also what do you do about Santa? I usually just do a pair of pyjamas and some chocolate from Santa and the rest is from us but she doesn’t need pyjamas lol

To keep on topic - mushroom pate on toast for lunch and Greek takeaway tonight
Last year, we did the Read, Need, Wear, Want (something to) each and a stocking. Will probably do the same again. We don’t buy them loads and they normally get loads from family.
My oldest just wants money, money, money this year so maybe I’ll pop 50p in a pair of socks 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Morrison’s own frozen vegan mince is nice. Didn’t know LM did one so will look out for it!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I don't have kids myself, but my sister does the "Something you want, something you need and something to read" rule of thumb for her kids' Christmas presents, which I always think is a quite a nice idea.
We do this: something you want, something You need, something to wear, something to read! Then they write to Santa asking for 1 or 2 things (daughter wants a hockey stick this year so she can ask for bag to put it in)

• Heart
Afternoon coven

I’m interested in what you do for Christmas presents with your kids. I have no interest in buying mountains of presents (especially as daughters birthday is end of November too!) so birthday she is getting a Bluetooth speaker so she can listen to her crappy pop music in a different room and dinner out.we’ve bought tickets for Harry Potter world thing in Watford (?) for Christmas as a family present. I personally think that’s more than enough money wise but also she is 8 and if she doesn’t have actual stuff to open she might feel a bit shortchanged?!

I am aware as I write this what a privileged 1st world problem this is but interested in others opinions on how you do Christmas presents and getting a balance right and also what do you do about Santa? I usually just do a pair of pyjamas and some chocolate from Santa and the rest is from us but she doesn’t need pyjamas lol

I don't have kids and I don't like Harry Potter (I know, the shame!), but I do love Christmas.

Could Santa bring her something from her favourite house from Harry Potter instead of pyjamas maybe? A t-shirt or scarf and gloves or something? Scarf would be practical going into winter too I guess.

Reactions: 10

I loooooove this stuff - https://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/mexican-food/amazing-cauliflower-tacos. I've never used it for anything like a bolognese but it's delicious for things like veggie dan dan noodles (swap out the paprika for five spice) and tacos/burritos. Half a head of cauliflower makes a huge batch too, and it keeps for ages. Although yes, it does involve mushrooms but you can just food process them if you have one - probably the reason I haven't made it for ages is cos I moved out of the flat with the Magimix (not found at a charity shop) 😫.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I love that we thought we were pushing our luck with bum mints and now 52 pages later we're emboldened enough to progress onto naming a thread after penis sausages 😅

Congratulations @Begborrowsteal and good luck for second round!!! You'll kill it 💪 💥

Gutted i missed the penguin jokes, we'll have to crowdfund some more 😄

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19

I like Asda's :oops: own brand (please don't expel me from the coven!)

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I haven't tried the mince but I like the things I've tried from the Plant Pioneer range Sainsbury's do.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Tesco’s frozen own brand one is nice although speaking as a meat eater, I like it if mixed in with loads of other flavourful stuff like a chilli. I tried it for cottage pie but found the texture a bit odd. If you want to be FANCY then Vivera’s is really, really good.

Afternoon coven

We’ve also got tickets for the HP Studios! I can’t wait! I’ve always said Santa doesn’t bring big expensive presents, only ones that fit into a largish stocking, so our eldest (9 now and sadly no longer a believer) would write a list of 3-4 things such as books and Lego. Then I’d put in Christmas-themed sweets and chocolates. He wants a kids Fitbit this year. We don’t go crazy at Christmas because my parents always go overboard which is very nice of them but it can get overwhelming. I think a few small presents to open is absolutely fine. When it’s too much it just feels like they’re opening them and moving on to the next thing without really taking it in.

On topic... dinner is fancy Tesco’s red onion burgers & potato wedges.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.