Food and Drink #49

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Watched the Masked Singer tonight - having only dipped in and out this series. Am convinced Cricket is Lemar and went down a rabbit hole and have been listening to the Face Academy album. I was a teen when the show was on and loved it so appreciate there is a heavy dose of nostalgc bias.

Night snacks are quavers, wotsits and a snickers.

It is.
I want Alex Bigfoot to win, although this is not an opinion I would be brave enough to voice on the Masked Singer thread 😂
I’ve had a wholesome day today, fraus. I needed it more than I realised. Finishing off things with a really nice gin and tonic. Mr Laz’s sister brought me the gin a few weeks ago and I popped it open tonight, it’s 👌🏼
I’m currently enjoying some Simon & Garfunkel.
I’d hazard a guess that there’s around 2,000 records on our shelves. If I could choose to keep only one artist or band, I’d choose S&G and give up everything else. Their music is perfection to me.

Tunnelly, I hope you didn’t think I was too direct. It wasn’t meant like that, but if you have some smaller venues, you should go. You might not come across anything that floats your boat, but at least you know you’ll have tried. You’ll have supported someone who’s really trying, new venue, new music, a wee beer or two and home again. I bet you and Lady Buttons will have a complete night out for less than the price of one Corrs ticket.
I shall now forever more picture Mrs T as Lady Button 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Incredible film, such a sad story how she was so taken advantage of. I ofte think of the e lack of laws/protection for child actors at the time when I see influencer parent putting their children all over social media
You're right @emm. Watching old clips of Shirley Temple being manhandled by creepy ancient men and being posed on their laps etc etc and it just looks terrible now.

The social media age will have its own reckoning soon.

I saw a comment recently where someone was saying we're nearing the time when all those kids of mommy bloggers and kidfluencers will become adults and there's going to be a whole wave of stories coming out once they achieve their independence and find their voices.

Of course marketers and publishers will be crowing with delight as a whole new sub-genre of misery memoirs hit the shelves.

But it is interesting to think about. Especially with Brianna Ghey's mum also starting to campaign on better protections for children on social media.

Jack should worry about this too having used her kid for content for years and having shared information about him which really should've been kept private.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
The Judy film was amazing, Renée really deserved her Oscar. I actually love her, she’s so talented, how can she be equally convincing playing Judy Garland as she is as Bridget Jones?

And Judy herself. Rewatching The Wizard Of Oz after seeing ”Judy” was so 😭 She gave so much.

And Lemar! What a gorgeous voice! This song still sounds so great to me.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
My little brick house is really nice and cool today despite the heat outside. I closed all the windows, curtains and blinds this morning at 8:30 so the house is dark but comfortable. Just like me. \m/
I had an ultrasound on Friday, the radiology place has sent the images to me but without a diagnosis explanation. There's a bit in red with word Adnexal so of course I googled it. Most likely benign and hopefully small so I won't need surgery but it does explain the extra pain, nausea and occasional vomiting I've been experiencing. I'll be seeing my GP this week, after the hot weather fucks off, to see what's next. Hopefully nothing except some decent pain!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I’ve had a wholesome day today, fraus. I needed it more than I realised. Finishing off things with a really nice gin and tonic. Mr Laz’s sister brought me the gin a few weeks ago and I popped it open tonight, it’s 👌🏼
I’m currently enjoying some Simon & Garfunkel.
I’d hazard a guess that there’s around 2,000 records on our shelves. If I could choose to keep only one artist or band, I’d choose S&G and give up everything else. Their music is perfection to me.

Tunnelly, I hope you didn’t think I was too direct. It wasn’t meant like that, but if you have some smaller venues, you should go. You might not come across anything that floats your boat, but at least you know you’ll have tried. You’ll have supported someone who’s really trying, new venue, new music, a wee beer or two and home again. I bet you and Lady Buttons will have a complete night out for less than the price of one Corrs ticket.
Not direct at all!

I’m so glad you mentioned S&G. They are one of the ones I’d pay for and who I hinted at when I said never tour again. My parents saw them when they last did in the U.K. early 2000s but we were so early being teachers we had no idea what day it was let alone going to that. Their songs will make me stop what I’m doing, regardless of where I am. That’s the power of music.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
S&G were the soundtrack to my childhood along with Johnny Cash, Liberace, Tom Jones and Englebert Humperdinck. I can still see my mum tapping the steering wheel and singing along to 'Cecilia' whenever we were in her Mini.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
They’ve never done a bad song, and I can’t think of any other artist or band I could say the same about.

ZB, I know what you mean about them stopping you in your tracks. Sometimes I close my eyes so I can hear their music better. Their look here 👇🏼 is 👌🏼
Kathy’s Song 🥺

There but for the grace of you go I ♥

• Heart
Reactions: 11
In my mis-spent youth I used to busk occasionally with my then-boyfriend who was a talented bastard and had a prime spot at Regent's Park Zoo, S&G's "At the zoo" was a very easy crowd pleaser and I regret to say that there was a little hamster dance that went with it.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
In my mis-spent youth I used to busk occasionally with my then-boyfriend who was a talented bastard and had a prime spot at Regent's Park Zoo, S&G's "At the zoo" was a very easy crowd pleaser and I regret to say that there was a little hamster dance that went with it.
video evidence or it didn't happen

• Haha
I too love both Judy Garland and Lemar. There is a really grainy clip of her on a chat show and she was actually hilarious. So sad what they did to her/what happened to her. And the generational trauma that she passed to Liza as well.

There was a guy on The Voice a few years ago called Theo who had the most beautiful voice. An amazing range with a proper soul falsetto - I urge you to look up some of his performances on youtube - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/3zX4bWsdXzXGVpbW2BfzjzX/theo-llewellyn

@MaineCoonMama thinking of you, lovely xx

• Heart
Reactions: 10
You're right @emm. Watching old clips of Shirley Temple being manhandled by creepy ancient men and being posed on their laps etc etc and it just looks terrible now.

The social media age will have its own reckoning soon.

I saw a comment recently where someone was saying we're nearing the time when all those kids of mommy bloggers and kidfluencers will become adults and there's going to be a whole wave of stories coming out once they achieve their independence and find their voices.

Of course marketers and publishers will be crowing with delight as a whole new sub-genre of misery memoirs hit the shelves.

But it is interesting to think about. Especially with Brianna Ghey's mum also starting to campaign on better protections for children on social media.

Jack should worry about this too having used her kid for content for years and having shared information about him which really should've been kept private.
I blame Instagram for not having boundaries in place to stop mummy influencers monetising their children. Well, really I blame the parents who post the content but any footage or photos of a child who can’t consent should be automatically deleted.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
video evidence or it didn't happen
This was at least 10 years before the first "mobile phone" was launched (according to the New York Times timeline quiz thingy) so fortunately there is no shred of recorded evidence! Picture me as Bez's mum, basically. Je ne regrette rien, on the whole - but since my knees gave up on me I do sometimes think I wish I'd danced more while I could, not in a Jack way just throw your hands in the air way. There's been some brilliant advice on this thread, but Laz (I think) urging us to get out to the little local venues stat is top tier. I'll be going to https://www.throughthenoise.co.uk/noisenights to see Sidiki Dembélé for my birthday treat

• Heart
I too love both Judy Garland and Lemar. There is a really grainy clip of her on a chat show and she was actually hilarious. So sad what they did to her/what happened to her. And the generational trauma that she passed to Liza as well.

There was a guy on The Voice a few years ago called Theo who had the most beautiful voice. An amazing range with a proper soul falsetto - I urge you to look up some of his performances on youtube - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/3zX4bWsdXzXGVpbW2BfzjzX/theo-llewellyn

@MaineCoonMama thinking of you, lovely xx
🍕🍉🧀 I was on a bus as a child, going down the kings road Chelsea, it passed the registry office just as Judy garland emerged. I wasn't aware of the significance at the time.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
This was at least 10 years before the first "mobile phone" was launched (according to the New York Times timeline quiz thingy) so fortunately there is no shred of recorded evidence! Picture me as Bez's mum, basically. Je ne regrette rien, on the whole - but since my knees gave up on me I do sometimes think I wish I'd danced more while I could, not in a Jack way just throw your hands in the air way. There's been some brilliant advice on this thread, but Laz (I think) urging us to get out to the little local venues stat is top tier. I'll be going to https://www.throughthenoise.co.uk/noisenights to see Sidiki Dembélé for my birthday treat
These look great! Just had a quick look -- I really like Abel Selaocoe so might try and get to this.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I went to the Tate Modern this morning. It was great because it was early so it was mostly empty! I saw Matisse's snail and some photos by an American photographer who took lots of pictures of the clean up after 9/11. https://www.joelmeyerowitz.com/aftermath#:~:text=Aftermath - World Trade Center — Joel Meyerowitz
I absolutely love galleries and museums but have never managed to have a nice time at Tate Modern. I can only ever find weird installations that are unintelligible to me, and crowds of earnest people with children called things like Tallulah and it makes me cross and panicky and I have to flee. Sounds like you know how to find the good stuff.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I was there a fortnight ago and nearly had my eardrums burst by Other People's Children. Never made it past the ground floor on that occasion. But I liked this.
Turbine Hall.jpg

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.