Food and Drink #49

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I too love both Judy Garland and Lemar. There is a really grainy clip of her on a chat show and she was actually hilarious. So sad what they did to her/what happened to her. And the generational trauma that she passed to Liza as well.

There was a guy on The Voice a few years ago called Theo who had the most beautiful voice. An amazing range with a proper soul falsetto - I urge you to look up some of his performances on youtube - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/3zX4bWsdXzXGVpbW2BfzjzX/theo-llewellyn

@MaineCoonMama thinking of you, lovely xx
I often very happily fall down a YouTube black hole of watching performances/auditions from The Voice.

A couple of favourites include (but not limited to):

I’ve not watched more recent series but they’ve had some incredible singers audition but I don’t know how many winners of the show have actually gone on to have a career off the back of it? I know Becky Hill is one of the successes (but didn’t win) and Matt Henry has had a successful career in the Westend (again didn’t win) but struggling to think of winners who have transitioned off the show successfully?
---
You're right @emm. Watching old clips of Shirley Temple being manhandled by creepy ancient men and being posed on their laps etc etc and it just looks terrible now.

The social media age will have its own reckoning soon.

I saw a comment recently where someone was saying we're nearing the time when all those kids of mommy bloggers and kidfluencers will become adults and there's going to be a whole wave of stories coming out once they achieve their independence and find their voices.

Of course marketers and publishers will be crowing with delight as a whole new sub-genre of misery memoirs hit the shelves.

But it is interesting to think about. Especially with Brianna Ghey's mum also starting to campaign on better protections for children on social media.

Jack should worry about this too having used her kid for content for years and having shared information about him which really should've been kept private.
Like @L3moning unfortunately I don’t think it will happen soon enough. I feel a lot of the current discussion in the media is just hot air and nothing will sadly come of it as I don’t believe the social media companies genuinely care beyond making their money. Appreciate I’m super cynical and would love to be proved wrong though.

We’ve had similar discussions on Father of Daughters threads about how much therapy his children are likely to need in the future when they realise how exploited their childhoods have been.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
It will be interesting in like 20 years when the kids of all these social media types are adults.

Reactions: 13
It will be interesting in like 20 years when the kids of all these social media types are adults.
That's exactly the point I was making. Facebook is 20 years old this year so those early social media kids are grown up now, pretty much.

I think there's reason to be hopeful. For one thing, nothing disappears off the internet, no matter how much you try to delete stuff. So there will be evidence and that is a new thing. It's all documented. And I have hope that each social movement builds on what came before. So #MeToo built on second and third wave feminism and lays the ground for the next struggle.

Justice is a tricky thing to pin down -- it might not result in every perve or abuser or narcisstic parent going to jail or being publicly pilloried, but the culture might shift and there might be lots of small and big changes in all sorts of unexpected ways.

Ultimately, I believe we have to have hope, not give in to despair, and keep trying to push things forward, even in the smallest of ways within our own sphere of influence.

• Heart
The world is absolutely littered with monuments to societies and civilisations that thought they would exist forever. Time makes fools of everyone. Our societies will be no different. Good or bad.
---
How do I make thread #50. I'm 50 on the 19th. I'd like to share the number

Last edited:
  • Heart
I often very happily fall down a YouTube black hole of watching performances/auditions from The Voice.

A couple of favourites include (but not limited to):

I’ve not watched more recent series but they’ve had some incredible singers audition but I don’t know how many winners of the show have actually gone on to have a career off the back of it? I know Becky Hill is one of the successes (but didn’t win) and Matt Henry has had a successful career in the Westend (again didn’t win) but struggling to think of winners who have transitioned off the show successfully?
---

Like @L3moning unfortunately I don’t think it will happen soon enough. I feel a lot of the current discussion in the media is just hot air and nothing will sadly come of it as I don’t believe the social media companies genuinely care beyond making their money. Appreciate I’m super cynical and would love to be proved wrong though.

We’ve had similar discussions on Father of Daughters threads about how much therapy his children are likely to need in the future when they realise how exploited their childhoods have been.
Yeh I don't know if anyone followed the train wreck that was 8 passengers but not only were the children massively exploited for years, she got away with being very abusive (documented in youtube videos) and until recently when the extent of the (very, very extreme) abuse has come to light she is being charged ,but she was able to document withholding food and beds from children for years with no consequence

• Sad
Reactions: 10
The world is absolutely littered with monuments to societies and civilisations that thought they would exist forever. Time makes fools of everyone. Our societies will be no different. Good or bad.
---
How do I make thread #50. I'm 50 on the 19th. I'd like to share the number
Happy early birthday! If you click the blue button it tells you what to do (I think). I've only ever started one new thread and I can't really remember.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I honestly can't work it out. I've given up and chucked the instructions in the bin .

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.