Food and Drink #47

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Here you all are!

So I'm working on the telly project I can't talk about (lol here I am talking about it but you know what I mean) and let's just say my instincts about it being a major tit show were correct.

I do however, need the money. So grinning and bearing it, with another couple of months to go. Bills will be paid and savings replenished and I will put up with the grief temporarily. The joy of a short ish contract.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Here you all are!

So I'm working on the telly project I can't talk about (lol here I am talking about it but you know what I mean) and let's just say my instincts about it being a major tit show were correct.

I do however, need the money. So grinning and bearing it, with another couple of months to go. Bills will be paid and savings replenished and I will put up with the grief temporarily. The joy of a short ish contract.
Without giving anything away, can we (viewers) tell when a programme is a tit show for the producers/editors/actors etc to work on? Or is all the shitshowness removed before it gets aired?

(obviously not counting DKL in this 🤣)

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Without giving anything away, can we (viewers) tell when a programme is a tit show for the producers/editors/actors etc to work on? Or is all the shitshowness removed before it gets aired?

(obviously not counting DKL in this 🤣)
Yeah like what’s the ratio of shitshow to non-shitshow?
I can think of one obvious one (DKL) but I can think of several toxic fuckheads who work on other shows.

Reactions: 12
Hi fraus, hope you’re all keeping safe and warm.
I’m here for a wee bit of general bed advice.
non-expensive bed chat:
Electric blanket - under or over the mattress protector?

And expensive bed chat:
Recommendations for new mattress (king-size, wooden slats), please?

have been looking at this which is probably the absolute maximum I’d want to pay (it had 20% off when I looked at it last week so probably not able to pay as much as this):

• Heart
Reactions: 10
non-expensive bed chat:

And expensive bed chat:

have been looking at this which is probably the absolute maximum I’d want to pay (it had 20% off when I looked at it last week so probably not able to pay as much as this):
We are looking at mattresses too. Getting nowhere.

The one issue with pillow tops is that you can only rotate and not turn. This does shorten the life. We have a loaf mattress and it’s lasted 11 years- it’s outstanding. We are starting to think we need a firm rather than extra firm as things hurt more than they did in our 30s.

I think M and S are pretty good. Option instead of a pillow top is to get a really top notch mattress topper.

(no advice on blankets sorry)

• Heart
A bogan is maybe a bit like a chav? The meaning has changed a lot since I first heard the word. It used to mean guys with non-ironic mullets, flannel shirts and loud cars. Now it's a bit more influencers-types with money but taste.
When I was a kid the word 'Bethan' was in use, not like the pretty Welsh name but like Elizabethan. Elizabeth is an absolutely massive suburb in South Australia that has lots of council-owned housing and a very high crime rate.

Thank you for the Stottie info, I read about them often. I wear sunscreen all year round but I haven't flossed today.
Stretching is performed by Lady Miss Susan, enough for the whole (a sort of whell) family.
Stretching as cats do it is called pandiculation. I may have mentioned this previously. I try to pandiculate every time one of the cats does, but I remain completely inflexible!!

Meanwhile, one of the cats is on the tin roof chasing a rock in some bizarre game. It is VERY loud, and bloody unnecessary.
---
non-expensive bed chat:

And expensive bed chat:

Mate of mine just stayed in an Airbnb in South France and took a photo of the mattress label. Said it was the most comfortable mattress she has ever slept on and she travels for work around the world. Let me scroll through her thousands of messages and find it for your options list..... I shall return....
---
Screenshot_20231107_181142.jpg

I found it on Amazon.fr Amazon product

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Stretching as cats do it is called pandiculation. I may have mentioned this previously. I try to pandiculate every time one of the cats does, but I remain completely inflexible!!

Meanwhile, one of the cats is on the tin roof chasing a rock in some bizarre game. It is VERY loud, and bloody unnecessary.
---

Mate of mine just stayed in an Airbnb in South France and took a photo of the mattress label. Said it was the most comfortable mattress she has ever slept on and she travels for work around the world. Let me scroll through her thousands of messages and find it for your options list..... I shall return....
---
View attachment 2557658
I found it on Amazon.fr Amazon product
So are you sYing you literally have a cat on a hot tin roof 🤣 cats and their bizarre games never fail to amuse, one of mine has recently (unfortunately) become obsessed with attempting to open one of the kitchen cupboards (no dreamies or food inside) so I'm constantly being woken up by a banging as he half manages to open it

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I agree re getting a flippable mattrrss and separate topper that can be laundered
As kids (in the olden days of no heating upstairs) we had electric under- blankets that went in between the sheets but you removed them when getting in so the wires didn't get damaged.

Reactions: 8
So are you sYing you literally have a cat on a hot tin roof 🤣 cats and their bizarre games never fail to amuse, one of mine has recently (unfortunately) become obsessed with attempting to open one of the kitchen cupboards (no dreamies or food inside) so I'm constantly being woken up by a banging as he half manages to open it
Yeah except right now it is a very cold tin roof!!!
---
Yeah except right now it is a very cold tin roof!!!
If she continues, I will turf the damned thing in spring.

• Haha
  • Heart
I was scared of electric blankets. I was only little in the late 70s and apparently any moisture would fry you alive. I am an electrical engineer now. I should see a shrink, but I don't care.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
My levy blanket is under the sheetAND I sleep with it on, if it unalived me then please know I went happy, I can’t bear the cold at night.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Thank you, fraus. Appreciate the advice re:pillow topped mattresses. Never thought of that, so glad I asked.
Our mattress is 8yrs old now. We’re a decade further on than you, Kebabbylabby, and looking to move from firm to medium! 😂

will keep looking. In the back of my mind I have my mum’s lifelong advice playing on loop: spend as much as you can on your footwear and mattress, cos if you’re not in one you’re in the other! 😩

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
Mattresses - we put Breasley Uno Pocket 1000 mattresses on all the beds in the holiday cottages and we get so many people asking us where they can buy them. We ended up getting one ourselves and they're extremely comfortable. Don't need flipping and they come rolled up in a box, so you can get them delivered from online stores fairly easily. Not horrendously expensive either.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

I got my mattress from thr Iron Bed Company about 25 years ago and it is still incredibly comfortable. It’s wool so I think this might be it (apparently the company has changed names)

I've got an electric blanket but don't use it in bed, I use it while I'm on the sofa to save on heating tbh (like others have said I hVe a phobia of it somehow catching fire) cannot remember what brand mine is as was a present but I cannot recommend one enough! Cats love it too as a bonus 🤣

• Heart
Mine's from IKEA and it's fine although we made sure we got the standard size bed and mattress.

We used to have normal wool blankets under the fitted sheet as a kid (electrician dad would not have electric blankets in the house) and they would keep you pretty toasty. Probably more expensive to get a good woollen blanket these days than an electric one.
Now I'm in my mid-40s I've finally rebelled and got an electric one 🤘

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Electric blankets are intrinsically safe now. Low wattage, low voltage on many. Cost around 5p an hour to run. If you can they are good energy saver
Eta, no excuse I rushed in with basic maths. It would probably work out around 8 quid a week for 6 hours a day use.
I blame the gas I've been inhaling from venting radiators, lucky I didn't blow up, eh guest

Last edited:
Reactions: 18
Electric blankets are intrinsically safe now. Low wattage, low voltage on many. Cost around 5p an hour to run. If you can they are good energy saver
Definitely saves so much money, especially if you live alone. May be old fashioned but for bed I would also recommend a hot water bottle. Put it under the covers about 20 min before you get into bed and it's just great

• Heart
Every day is a school day. Just grunked about that sheep rescued from a beach. Was just on the translate app and discovered there is a language called ewe (yow for us Northerners!) and 20million people speak it. Who knewe?!
---
Thank you, fraus. Appreciate the advice re:pillow topped mattresses. Never thought of that, so glad I asked.
Our mattress is 8yrs old now. We’re a decade further on than you, Kebabbylabby, and looking to move from firm to medium! 😂

will keep looking. In the back of my mind I have my mum’s lifelong advice playing on loop: spend as much as you can on your footwear and mattress, cos if you’re not in one you’re in the other! 😩
Don't tell @FunnyFuneral that!

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.