Food and Drink #44

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
And for @becca7721: do you maybe know anyone with a laptop/computer/mobile who would be willing to help?
I would in a heartbeat, but I think we're living at opposite ends of the country. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.❤
No. That’s the problem when you don’t have family to help, social services decide your friends are to become your carer/help instead and you end up with no one because they get angry because they don’t understand that’s how things work. Even the lady who had severe mental health issues I’d known for years upon taking me to A&E was told to help me (she died some years ago) and she kicked off with me big time.

I can’t beleve the big issue is now £4! A week. There’s no way I can afford to pay that!!
---
Just to be clear re friends, I’m not judging them. If I wasn’t in the position I am I’d never expect taking someone to A&E/contacting SS to result in being told to care for them myself. In one case the person had only met me once.

I never discuss my needs in real life because of it.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I'm over half way through Jo Nesbo's Killing Moon and I'm loving it. Probably my book of the year so far and I've not even finished it. Huge recommends for the entire Harry Hole series tbh.

First picked up by chance in an airport WHSmiths like 8 years ago and hooked ever since

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I’m reading ‘once upon a broken heart’ by Stephanie Garber, just about to begin the second in the series. I got it because it was £1 and the cover is interesting (I know!) however, I’ve really enjoyed it, not what I’d expected at all!!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I'm over half way through Jo Nesbo's Killing Moon and I'm loving it. Probably my book of the year so far and I've not even finished it. Huge recommends for the entire Harry Hole series tbh.

First picked up by chance in an airport WHSmiths like 8 years ago and hooked ever since
I can't wait to read it! I first came across Jo Nesbo when I was working at Random House. The Harry Hole (pronounced Hoo-Lay) series is one I'll go back and read again when I'm out of reading material.

• Heart
Decision made, the 10 un-named ladies are entered for the sale on 16th September and are now marked up with their sorting spots. (At the mart I'll have a single pen allocated to me and then as it gets closer to our lot we go into a chute leading to the ring and the mart staff will help me split them into two lots so I can sell them as 5 five year olds and 5 two year olds, the spots make it quicker). That will leave me with Nibbles and 406 (both seven), Mrs O, Mrs Ears, Little Nine, Viv Squig and Badger's Mum (all five), and, of course, Badger (two). All are hand-tame apart from Badger (nearly there) and 406 (regards all humans with deep suspicion, but she's so attached to Nibbles I can't split them up). Nibbles and 406 will never have lambs again (Nibbles because she had a small prolapse when she had twins and 406 because she's never managed to get in lamb and it's not fair to start now), but the other six could in theory slip in with someone's tup in November (a) if anyone in the village will let them and (b) if the new job I start next month will let me work from home five days a week for three weeks next April - it's meant to be three in the office two at home each week. Mr F doesn't want to get involved with lambing ever again!
---
PS: This one is too good to leave until Saturday - word of the day, via a friend: poronkusema. It's a traditional Finnish unit of measurement and is defined as the distance a reindeer can walk before it needs a pee!

• Heart
Reactions: 19
No. That’s the problem when you don’t have family to help, social services decide your friends are to become your carer/help instead and you end up with no one because they get angry because they don’t understand that’s how things work. Even the lady who had severe mental health issues I’d known for years upon taking me to A&E was told to help me (she died some years ago) and she kicked off with me big time.

I can’t beleve the big issue is now £4! A week. There’s no way I can afford to pay that!!
---
Just to be clear re friends, I’m not judging them. If I wasn’t in the position I am I’d never expect taking someone to A&E/contacting SS to result in being told to care for them myself. In one case the person had only met me once.

I never discuss my needs in real life because of it.
Derailing but I think the big issue is a good idea in theory, but there are people.near where igrew up (and my parents still live) who have been selling it for over 20 years now, the whole "hand up" thing doesn't really seem to be applied. Also £4 is so much money, I also wonder who even has cash now to buy it , they should be given those contactless payment things really
---
I can't wait to read it! I first came across Jo Nesbo when I was working at Random House. The Harry Hole (pronounced Hoo-Lay) series is one I'll go back and read again when I'm out of reading material.
Haven't read anything by her for ages but I loved the snowman, anyone else see the film? Was so disappointed was so bad

• Heart
Derailing but I think the big issue is a good idea in theory, but there are people.near where igrew up (and my parents still live) who have been selling it for over 20 years now, the whole "hand up" thing doesn't really seem to be applied. Also £4 is so much money, I also wonder who even has cash now to buy it , they should be given those contactless payment things really
---

Haven't read anything by her for ages but I loved the snowman, anyone else see the film? Was so disappointed was so bad
Jo is a man, and I haven't seen the film.
It's hard when you love a book then the film is so different to what you experienced reading. I did hear it was terrible though.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
---

Just coming in quickly to say that Big Issue did give their sellers contactless payment thingies as so few people carry cash nowadays.

Their cover price is relatively high but the tacit deal is that you're giving half of that directly to the seller. As with everything, their production costs have spiralled since the pandemic and they had to spend a lot of their reserves supporting sellers during lockdown etc so their coffers are empty.

Many of those long-term sellers can't get regular jobs because they're too old / broken / substance dependent. So, they make a small living selling to top up benefits etc.

I don't know if its a good business model but it was revolutionary when it started. I have a soft spot for them because they do build lasting relationships with their sellers and are often able to support them into other services. And their journalism is good on poverty and housing and social issues.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I didn't watch the Snowman, I heard it was crap and didn't want to pollute what is a great book and the first one I read.

• Heart
There were a lot of issues with fraudulent sellers of the big issue a few years back here (few is anywhere between 2-10, I can’t remember) and I haven’t seen anyone at all selling it since. I didn’t realise it was still going tbh.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
There were a lot of issues with fraudulent sellers of the big issue a few years back here (few is anywhere between 2-10, I can’t remember) and I haven’t seen anyone at all selling it since. I didn’t realise it was still going tbh.
The Big Issue does have occasional trouble with fake sellers. The best advice is to only buy the magazine from a vendor who's wearing their branded red tunic thingy and who has a photo ID badge. They always stand at an official pitch, outside a supermarket or similar.

So don't ever buy a copy from someone who's roaming around the pub, who only has one or two copies of the mag, or who's flogging an outdated copy.

I do believe the foundation works hard to partner with sellers and that there's a certain pride attached to being a licensed seller. ANd lots of them have long relationships with their customers too. Quite often, there'll be a story of a seller who went off sick or something and the local customers reach out to support them.

Personally, I like the model of offering someone who's perhaps on the margins, with complicated histories, a role that's flexible, local to their familiar area and has the possibility of earning an honest wage. A bit like what Timpsons offers to people coming out of prison, there's a dignity in the work that means something.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.