Food and Drink #35

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A fruit ( or possibly drain ) fly just flew into my eye . Am I correct in assuming that I should follow the same procedure as for swallowing , and poke myself in the eye with a variety of ever increasing sized creatures or am I best leaving my tear ducts to deal with it ?
Close your eyes for a few minutes and make a wish ?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Just finished my (incredibly long) train journey. No chaos, just 1000 km of tedium. This weekend I have the annual meeting for my volunteer group, and it's in a city adjacent to the one where I lived for many years so I am taking advantage of that.

This region is famous for having amazing cuisine, which is one reason I'm always happy to come back. Sadly I got in so late, and am so tired from this epic train journey, that dinner is from a vending machine (this city has no late-opening covenience stores):

20221207_233600.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Finally caught up! I don't think I can handle the thought of multiple people eating cat food on this thread, BubbleyD is enough (sidenote, found an advent calendar for you)
51089.jpg

Work is ramping up; have a big deadline for next week, and potentially a job interview for a permanent position which I am praying is not on Friday so I have the weekend to prepare. Nobody has heard back yet which is very bad form considering the interviews are starting on Friday? And I haven't done any preparation. Basically I'm very stressed but trying to girlboss gaslight myself into thinking I can handle it.

What was originally a small patch of dry skin has now evolved into a big patch of eczema/dermititis on my palm and fingers. I've woken up from it being itchy a few times in the last week so have gone back to using a steroid cream which helps but then it comes back. I think one of my problems is that I drink a lot of water, so I need to pee a lot, so then I wash my hands a lot, but I've gotten different soap which will hopefully help. I would also wash my hands after touching the bin (we got a pedal bin so not an issue anymore) and I've taken to wearing compostable gloves under my kitchen gloves as I think they get gross inside from the sweat and now that the weather is tit I haven't been able to hang them inside out on the line. Maybe I also over-moisturised in the past? Idk. I'm now at the stage where I'm considering wearing cotton gloves during the day so I can use an emulsifier without it getting everywhere 😬 I'm definitely going to get new gloves to wear during the night as the gloves I have atm I can't seem to clean fully as they're a fleecy material and I think the ointment is stuck inside the fibers and they honestly just feel disgusting. Like constantly cold and moist. Idk it's just really bothering me atm! Although I have been using this opportunity to keep saying eczema in my awful Sharon impression
One of my fav photos from recently with Súile being a bald belly baby all bald bellied babies will be petted senseless by every able bodied patron in the bar
IMG_20221207_230006.jpg

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Bonky B, have you tried a barrier cream for your hands? Also pls administer pats from me to bald belly baby. ♥

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Finally caught up! I don't think I can handle the thought of multiple people eating cat food on this thread, BubbleyD is enough (sidenote, found an advent calendar for you) View attachment 1790551

Work is ramping up; have a big deadline for next week, and potentially a job interview for a permanent position which I am praying is not on Friday so I have the weekend to prepare. Nobody has heard back yet which is very bad form considering the interviews are starting on Friday? And I haven't done any preparation. Basically I'm very stressed but trying to girlboss gaslight myself into thinking I can handle it.

What was originally a small patch of dry skin has now evolved into a big patch of eczema/dermititis on my palm and fingers. I've woken up from it being itchy a few times in the last week so have gone back to using a steroid cream which helps but then it comes back. I think one of my problems is that I drink a lot of water, so I need to pee a lot, so then I wash my hands a lot, but I've gotten different soap which will hopefully help. I would also wash my hands after touching the bin (we got a pedal bin so not an issue anymore) and I've taken to wearing compostable gloves under my kitchen gloves as I think they get gross inside from the sweat and now that the weather is tit I haven't been able to hang them inside out on the line. Maybe I also over-moisturised in the past? Idk. I'm now at the stage where I'm considering wearing cotton gloves during the day so I can use an emulsifier without it getting everywhere 😬 I'm definitely going to get new gloves to wear during the night as the gloves I have atm I can't seem to clean fully as they're a fleecy material and I think the ointment is stuck inside the fibers and they honestly just feel disgusting. Like constantly cold and moist. Idk it's just really bothering me atm! Although I have been using this opportunity to keep saying eczema in my awful Sharon impression
One of my fav photos from recently with Súile being a bald belly baby all bald bellied babies will be petted senseless by every able bodied patron in the bar
View attachment 1790594
Can you show your slopalong video as a presentation? It was SKILLZ

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Bonky B, have you tried a barrier cream for your hands? Also pls administer pats from me to bald belly baby. ♥
I've been using this at night, it's quite oily and doesn't absorb well so I assume it's a barrier cream?
Pats ✅ administrated

Hotes I will 100% use it as an example of drive and commitment. I'll have to reframe it using the STAR technique

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Similar here. Mine’s going up by £150pcm and tbf that still doesn’t bring it in line with market value. And I’ve lived here 4 years and not had an increase in that time. Still crappy though because £150pcm is a lot. I hope I manage to appeal this pip decision successfully and get a chunk of back pay cos otherwise things are gonna get tight.

i hear you ❤ im glad i don't have to deal with benefits atm. it seems so much more complicated than when i had to claim jsa for a while nearly 20 years ago

I'm at the point now where I'm thinking the compo from the no gas situation will take care of the winter fuel bills

none of this should be happening of course. in 2022 in one of the richest countries on earth, everyone should have enough to live on and infrastructure should be able to cope

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I hope you are all warm and feeling ok tonight.

I have covid, for the first time, and feel a bit snotty. I go to a dance class on a Wednesday night, and all the ladies from the class left presents on my doorstep including a chocolate orange with a face drawn on it wearing a hand knitted Santa hat.

No soap left on doorstep.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I think Cyril is pretty funky
He is adorable x but now my daughter is a little older we are going for real life sloth experiences x the dog gets the sloth toys now ❤

omg, yes. now im back on my own turf (judging how nice looking men are)

ronan farrow is 💯 frank sinatra's son and is pretty much the best looking man ive ever laid eyes on

i mean... 🥵 👀

View attachment 1780468
Ooh he is pretty xx

• Heart
Reactions: 13
20% off vests. No thanks. 20% off thermals would have been better. ETA Mrs T has 20% off bras. At this point I would take a free apple, not even satsuma, an apple would do.

Not Leeds. York. Ones here pay over £200 a month for a tiny room in an 8 bed terrace (how they have 8 beds in what should be a 3 bed Victorian terrace leads me on to…).

HTRIA- studentification is a weird one. A few years ago all the property in a few cities was being converted to HMOs (some student cities have a greater proportion of PBSAs so the problem wasn’t as noticeable and it obviously wasn’t as noticeable in cities where the ratio of students to residents isn’t skewed so drastically). This obviously reduced the housing stock for residents and increased house prices.

To rectify this, councils introduced plans to stop the conversions of family homes into HMOs in certain studentified areas and to encourage the return of HMOs back into family homes.

However, this has not had the desired effect. Landlords simply bought up housing outside the designated areas, pushing residents out from those areas too. The protected areas inside the cities (where houses are unable to be converted) are often 98% studentified so residents cannot sell because no one wants to live there and landlords can’t buy to convert.

The result is that residents inside the city are stuck, parents end up buying the houses inside these areas and run them as secret HMOs, residents outside the city are being pushed further and further out and students end up living in rotten, overpopulated houses run by landlords/ladies who are trying to get as much money out of them as possible.

Finally, house prices started to fall in these protected areas way before covid once these plans were put in place (I suspect we are worth less than we bought for and some of our neighbours are in negative equity. That isn’t because of the housing bubble because we live in the NE and there was no bubble -you can buy houses up here for 50k ffs. The council fucked up. To everyone who says they want house prices to drop because that will solve everything I would like them to come here and see the impact of being in negative equity because it sucks).

Those who run the PBSAs are generally better- they are high quality and don’t pack the students in quite as much and although the students do have to pay they aren’t living in squalor.

There are research papers done on studentification and how councils generally duck it up, particularly in smaller cities.

Last edited:
  • Heart
20% off women's footwear? I feel like this is an epic troll from M&S 😂 Sorry to get your hopes up everyone! Fingers crossed for at least one or two good things before the 12th....

First week back at work has gone okay so far, apart from me being a bit poorly. As with the last series I worked on, access has stalled so they have me writing pitches for potential episodes down the line. Hopefully I can shoot something in the new year but quite happy to keep writing up until Christmas 🙂

Big squeeze to the Onion Police Chief Traumy S. Keep on keeping on my friend. And to anyone feeling the chill right now, the fella and I have found that going for a quick stroll and coming back helps us feel the benefit of the slight inside warmth! Sort of a shock to the system. Hope your heating comes back super soon Kach xx

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I got 20% off Jaeger, wtf M&S 🙄.

Traumy S - you mither away as much as you need to, we are here to listen to all the mithering, and we like to hear your updates. Goes for anyone else in need of a good old mither too ❤.

Kittypops - don't be hard on yourself, you're carrying a whole lot of grief and emotion at the moment and it's not easy to do that without us cracking somewhere. A slip doesn't undo all your progress and hard work so far, you can reset your streak, but the work you've put in up to this point is not reset, you achieved it and it can't be taken from you by a slip. Xx

Lots of love, warm blankets and comfort foods to you all. Talking of which, I have an Instant Pot now, and hoping to use it for the first time today to make a beef shin cobbler 😊 What's everyone's favourite cold weather comfort food?

• Heart
Reactions: 21
DWP update (a Christmas miracle 🙄). I tried phoning again this morning AND I SPOKE TO A HUMAN!!
I now have an extension until the 8/1/23. It is such a relief to know I have the extra time. Thanks for the kind comments here 💕

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Is anyone else watching the Harry and Megan doc? I’ve only watched the first episode so far - but one thing that is amusing me is that Megan, a lot of the time refers to him as ‘H’ and in my head it’s a mash up of the mythical H from Line of Duty and H from Steps 🤪. Not sure that was the intended take away they wanted viewers to have 😂.

@Nottonightbabe a nice veggie soup with a stack of bread is one of my winter comforts or toad in the hole (aka frog in a bog as my Aunt calls it!). More🔺 - I don’t drink tea or coffee (though I love the smell of coffee) so a hot blackcurrent (Ribena is top choice but a good blackcurrent cordial will suffice). Don’t mind the odd hot chocolate but has to be made with milk, not water. We sometimes buy squirty/spray cream to do ‘fancy’ hot chocolates but I really struggle if I then open the fridge not to just spray some directly into my mouth even if I’ve gone to get something else out of said fridge. Maybe it’s a suppressed childhood thing trying to break free? 😂. I feel like this confessional could be my chewed up crisp or dreamies moment!

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Is anyone else watching the Harry and Megan doc? I’ve only watched the first episode so far - but one thing that is amusing me is that Megan, a lot of the time refers to him as ‘H’ and in my head it’s a mash up of the mythical H from Line of Duty and H from Steps 🤪. Not sure that was the intended take away they wanted viewers to have 😂.

@Nottonightbabe a nice veggie soup with a stack of bread is one of my winter comforts or toad in the hole (aka frog in a bog as my Aunt calls it!). More🔺 - I don’t drink tea or coffee (though I love the smell of coffee) so a hot blackcurrent (Ribena is top choice but a good blackcurrent cordial will suffice). Don’t mind the odd hot chocolate but has to be made with milk, not water. We sometimes buy squirty/spray cream to do ‘fancy’ hot chocolates but I really struggle if I then open the fridge not to just spray some directly into my mouth even if I’ve gone to get something else out of said fridge. Maybe it’s a suppressed childhood thing trying to break free? 😂. I feel like this confessional could be my chewed up crisp or dreamies moment!
I judge you not for the direct hit of squirty cream. Have been known to indulge myself. 😋

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Londoners might know this already. I didn’t but now I am in bits.

very unrelated, but has anyone in London heard the DLR announcer who announces train arrivals in the style of a horse race? it is hilarious, I take the DLR pretty much daily and have heard him in bank a couple of times, it's the only time (other than being drunk) that I have seen londoners talk to each other/show any enthusiasm on their commute :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
@EddieBeds - I don't drink tea or coffee either and my hot drink of choice is Robinson's Apple & Blackcurrant! Except when I opened a new bottle this morning, the most ghastly sweet smell floated out of it and it turned out Mr F had accidentally picked up a bottle of Summer Fruits instead. Bleuch.

Well, I wasn't going to put the ladies in lamb again, but a neighbour has just let me know that another neighbour's tup escaped onto the commons at some point between Sunday morning and Monday morning and was recaptured from amongst my ewes, so highly likely one or more is now up the duff. I'll have to get them all scanned in February and see which ones got caught. Tup is a Scottish Blackface, they look like this:

1670504175143.png

So could be some interesting faces on the lambs!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 26
@EddieBeds - I don't drink tea or coffee either and my hot drink of choice is Robinson's Apple & Blackcurrant! Except when I opened a new bottle this morning, the most ghastly sweet smell floated out of it and it turned out Mr F had accidentally picked up a bottle of Summer Fruits instead. Bleuch.

Well, I wasn't going to put the ladies in lamb again, but a neighbour has just let me know that another neighbour's tup escaped onto the commons at some point between Sunday morning and Monday morning and was recaptured from amongst my ewes, so highly likely one or more is now up the duff. I'll have to get them all scanned in February and see which ones got caught. Tup is a Scottish Blackface, they look like this:

View attachment 1791656

So could be some interesting faces on the lambs!
Look at him, king of the fields.

He knows he reigns supreme.

• Haha
  • Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.