Food and Drink #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi - potentially boring energy / ninja chat so will spoiler! Also appreciate if you’ve just got it you may not know so apologies in advance!

We’ve got family members who have purchased air fryers (not the ninja one, just a one drawer job) but they glaze over when I ask them questions about it. We are limited on space but trying to work out if it’s worth rejigging some bits and the initial cost in the energy potentially saved? Is it as simple as because they cook items quicker it will use less electric alongside the gas vs electric cost? As Tunnel said I’d rather not be lining the pockets of the energy firms so much. And another, final question….when roasting a chicken can you still collect any juices for gravy etc?

It’s still getting hotter here - we’re in the🔺 A1/M1 corridor and they’re predicting we’ve not peaked yet 🥵. Alongside extreme heat anxiety I find it quite claustrophobic when it’s this hot and all you’re breathing in is hot air. Mr Beds is still having steaming hot showers 🤪. Little Beds’ school had the option for early pick up due to the heat - his teacher looked shattered yesterday, no idea how you teach (or do a lot of jobs) in this heat. Looking forward to the predicted thunderstorms tomorrow⛈

A friend has the pot type and says it takes up a load of room, but we bought the biggest dual drawer one, which I'd say takes up about the same foot print as a microwave, just a bit taller. I think because you don't need lid clearance and it's rectangular, it doesn't feel as though it takes up as much room; maybe teatray size?

It's a smaller cavity on each side, so instead of having to heat up 70-odd litres of space, it's less than a 1/7th of that volume to heat up. It's also not leaking heat out all over like the built in oven does as it has to be insulated to not be dangerous on the counter. You can also use even less energy heating up just one side; like heating (or AC cooling) a smaller room with the doors and windows closed and thermal curtains inherently costs less than doing the same with JM's crappy bungalow.. You don't need to preheat for most things, either, which also saves a bit.

Chicken is really easy - there's a sort of grating that the food sits on and the juices collect underneath without burning or sticking.

We deliberately chose the largest because it's a replacement for the oven, but wanted to be able to have more than one thing cooking at a time without having to mix them; I think the best thing of all is how you can either sync the drawers so they automatically finish at the same time, even if on different temperatures or types of cooking or, if you're cooking two drawers that need to be at the same temperature and timing, you press a button that copies the settings over - and as long as you aren't daft, you're less likely to burn yourself than if you're reaching down into a big oven for a heavy tray and catching your arm on a rack.

My friend uses hers to cook for 5 including 4 adults, 1 of which is a bodybuilder, we're just 2 people but it's perfect for the sort of things we cook, and there's no awful sludge to clean off the inside, it's just washing the drawers up. Only other potential expense would be dehydrator/layered grilling racks (about £20 on Amazon), disposable liners if washing up is a pain (but Mr D is happy to handwash them as they're non stick) and wooden or silicon tools if you only have metal ones.

Current temperature downstairs is 34.9 Celsius. No daylight, well insulated, fan going. Not even going to think about the temperature upstairs right now, as it's usually showing up to 5 degrees hotter in the front bedroom and even more in the back one.

I need sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I didn't get through to the next stage for the other job I interviewed for, I am really quite annoyed and disappointed. But the benefits were crap so I hope the successful person enjoys getting the bare minimum and going into the office five times a week 😤😒

Thinks it's going to be a takeaway pizza kind of evening...

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 27
Tbh in my current “I hate British Gas” state, I haven’t used the oven in months. Microwave all the way. Baked potatoes, pizza, pasta bake- everything goes in our microwave. Things taste like tit but I can’t cook anyway and BigEnergy certainly isn’t getting our money.

My neighbour has just bought an air con unit. Fitted it to the outside of the house. The thing is we are in a conservation area (ironic given the students fly tip) meaning it isn’t allowed. I am considering going on mumsnet with a hand drawn diagram to ask for advice.

Tunnel dog is chilled AF. Mrs tunnel did not survive the day in the greenhouse school. Send magnumos.
I’ve just endured a day in a baking hot school, just finished a Lidl’s “Magnum “. I can recommend them.

So he was brilliant for the vet, we got the blood samples and also took two samples out of a lump I wanted checking out. But while the vet agreed at first look that it was definitely worth testing for Cushings because he has so many of the symptoms, once we got into the field shelter and the stethoscope came out, we discovered that his heart is beating at about twice the speed it should be, and the lump turned out to be the edge of something very much bigger lurking in his neck just behind his jaw. So although it could be Cushings, we are probably also looking at heart failure and a tumour. Results from all the tests should be back on Friday, but I think next week we may well be saying goodbye to him :(

The patient is munching happily around some long fresh grass he hasn't been allowed into before and being fed double what he gets in the depths of winter in an attempt to try and keep up with the calories his heart is burning through, plus I've got him a couple of bales of Silvermoor haylage, which is a lovely sweet bagged hay. He's 27 and has had a good run, but our hearts are still breaking here today. Seems impossible that we're here when last month he was still cantering up the hill to come and have his supper.
That is such sad news. Sending hugs to you and Senior horse 💖.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Thank you all.

He went rapidly downhill this afternoon and I called the vet out. He went with his head in my arms being told how loved he was and with my two other ones standing close by. I miss him terribly.

Picture from last summer when he was 26, which no one ever believed!

20210801_111020.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 46
So sorry @Falkor. I can’t say anything that will alleviate what you are feeling so just know that we are here thinking of you and senior horse ❤.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Spanish news on the English heatwave:

View attachment 1426371

(England prepares to go through a true inferno with temperatures over 40°. A country where the vast majority of houses have wall-to-wall carpeting and few have air conditioning. Now they are using their umbrellas as parasols, and the parks in front of Big Ben, normally green, have been destroyed by drought.)
I don't have carpet, thank god, but I did realise how much of a difference this makes on the DLR today in London, it is SO much better having plastic rather than fabric seats, also gos knows how hygenic they are with people sweating .
How are everyone's animals doing? mine seem to be super irritable, thank god temperatures going down drastically tomorrow!

So much this. I feel on edge and uncomfortable in this heat. It's inescapable. It peaked at 39 and hasn't relented for hours now.

There's a good chance of rain tomorrow, crossing every finger and toe. If it does I'm going to blast some N-Trance and go spin in the shower. Set you freeeeeee!
it looks like it is about to pour in my area of south east london, is actually dark outside 🤞

• Heart
Reactions: 18
So sorry @Falkor he looks like quite the dude. But thank you for sharing your four leggeds with us, I love the updates and pictures.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
it looks like it is about to pour in my area of south east london, is actually dark outside
It's thundering here! There's rain! The temp finally dropped! (The rain smells amazing).

And yeah, weirdly dark! LOVE!!!!

• Heart
It's thundering here! There's rain! The temp finally dropped! (The rain smells amazing).

And yeah, weirdly dark! LOVE!!!!
We had thunder at about 10am for half an hour then it got progressively hotter again 🥵

i had to go sick from placement, my Crohn’s and heat (and probably dehydration) in hot wards built in the 80s don’t work well together, so I was home with the ladies when the thunderstorm happened. Nala hated it but Maisie couldn’t give a hoot.

Im sorry for your loss @Falkor, he looks so handsome xx

• Heart
Reactions: 19
We had thunder at about 10am for half an hour then it got progressively hotter again
It's still hot and humid, but so much nicer with sudden showers kicking off. Even my duchess of a dog was happy to trot in the puddles and rain, glorious!

The pressure must have shifted a lot as my bones cracked something rotten, like a xylophone from head to toe, but def don't feel so claustrophobic like Eddie-B was saying earlier. It feels so good. That weather was destroying me.

• Heart
  • Sad
Lots of love to you @Falkor ❤

Sympathetic hot weatheros from North Carolina, it's currently 31 here but feels like 36! I'm currently thanking my lucky stars for American air con. Sharing last night's sunset with you all and hoping for cooler temps all around 😊

PXL_20220719_001702551.MP-01.jpeg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 28
MCM- how is the Baileys-induced illness?

Watching the athletics in the gloom. Even the cool of the PNW doesn’t look particularly cool at the moment.
It LEFT! I feel better now. I am concerned about my husband though. I got up just now to find him eating ice cream at 6 am and it's a balmy -1 Celsius.
Seriously though, I saw you guys hit 40 somewhere for the first time ever and there are fires outside London. Those temps are bad enough when one is used to them, I'm really feeling for all of you. ♥
ETA, @Falkor i wanted to add my condolences. No adequate words for you. My husband grew up owning and riding, I showed him Senior and he said "What a handsome Buckskin". Much love to you.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.