Food and Drink #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is anybody actually particularly hungry or in the mood for cooking?

Neither of us have the slightest intention of spending any longer in the kitchen than absolutely necessary; largely to get more chilled water from the fridge.

Just can't imagine willingly using the hob, never mind an oven at this point.
Tbh in my current “I hate British Gas” state, I haven’t used the oven in months. Microwave all the way. Baked potatoes, pizza, pasta bake- everything goes in our microwave. Things taste like tit but I can’t cook anyway and BigEnergy certainly isn’t getting our money.

My neighbour has just bought an air con unit. Fitted it to the outside of the house. The thing is we are in a conservation area (ironic given the students fly tip) meaning it isn’t allowed. I am considering going on mumsnet with a hand drawn diagram to ask for advice.

Tunnel dog is chilled AF. Mrs tunnel did not survive the day in the greenhouse school. Send magnumos.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Tbh in my current “I hate British Gas” state, I haven’t used the oven in months. Microwave all the way. Baked potatoes, pizza, pasta bake- everything goes in our microwave. Things taste like tit but I can’t cook anyway and BigEnergy certainly isn’t getting our money.

My neighbour has just bought an air con unit. Fitted it to the outside of the house. The thing is we are in a conservation area (ironic given the students fly tip) meaning it isn’t allowed. I am considering going on mumsnet with a hand drawn diagram to ask for advice.

Tunnel dog is chilled AF. Mrs tunnel did not survive the day in the greenhouse school. Send magnumos.

We've been in an I Hate The Arseholes Who Insisted Upon A Fitted Kitchen So I had To Get Rid Of My Brand New Double Gas Cooker When I Moved In state for years. Especially as the third electric oven in ten years is now fucked and, thanks to Messrs. Bodgit & Leggett Ltd who Jerrybuilt the house, I'm restricted to only specific shape built in ovens that aren't in stock anywhere.

So we decided against a months-long search (been looking since before Christmas) + spending £500 with installation/disposal and ordered the biggest Ninja Dual Air Fryer last week (Amazon Day, £179). I don't think we'll be using a standard oven again, as it's actually a realistic size for two people - and we now have handy storage for the baking tins and tit we never used anyhow.

After all, once you've got space for a whole chicken in one drawer and a fuckton of potatoes in the other, can cook at two different temperatures and set them so they finish at the same time, a standard oven seems a bit, well - pointless.

We have actually had cooked food after all. Mr D made us a sausage and onion sandwich each.

Stay clear of MN though. They're all clearly feeling the heat right now.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
So he was brilliant for the vet, we got the blood samples and also took two samples out of a lump I wanted checking out. But while the vet agreed at first look that it was definitely worth testing for Cushings because he has so many of the symptoms, once we got into the field shelter and the stethoscope came out, we discovered that his heart is beating at about twice the speed it should be, and the lump turned out to be the edge of something very much bigger lurking in his neck just behind his jaw. So although it could be Cushings, we are probably also looking at heart failure and a tumour. Results from all the tests should be back on Friday, but I think next week we may well be saying goodbye to him :(

The patient is munching happily around some long fresh grass he hasn't been allowed into before and being fed double what he gets in the depths of winter in an attempt to try and keep up with the calories his heart is burning through, plus I've got him a couple of bales of Silvermoor haylage, which is a lovely sweet bagged hay. He's 27 and has had a good run, but our hearts are still breaking here today. Seems impossible that we're here when last month he was still cantering up the hill to come and have his supper.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Is anybody actually particularly hungry or in the mood for cooking?

Neither of us have the slightest intention of spending any longer in the kitchen than absolutely necessary; largely to get more chilled water from the fridge.

Just can't imagine willingly using the hob, never mind an oven at this point.
Meekrowarvey ping and done
we topped the hundred today, fortunately working from home, unfortunately have to switch the fan off to answer the phone

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
For maximum sun protection I've been putting on a cap and wraparound sunglasses to go out and smoke and I've just caught a glimpse of myself in my sentient doorbell footage. It's such a tragic look for a woman in their thirties, I'm giving myself the ick. At least I haven't plaited my hair and bronzed myself like a turkey to traumatise my neighbours with visions of me in a bikini.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
barely any cooking here today either. all I had all day was leftover cold pizza, then we had tortelloni for tea, which obvs only needs 2 mins

mr kcc's making mash tomorrow though, the absolute madman

good luck getting to sleep lads. its 30.2 in our bedroom rn

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
barely any cooking here today either. all I had all day was leftover cold pizza, then we had tortelloni for tea, which obvs only needs 2 mins

mr kcc's making mash tomorrow though, the absolute madman

good luck getting to sleep lads. its 30.2 in our bedroom rn

Ours says 36.

I'm downstairs, which is allegedly a chilly 30 at present.

I've been happier, shall we say?

• Heart
Reactions: 21
We started off in the living room. Woke up to find myself alone. Mrs T had gone upstairs with to the bed but left me.

Cluster headaches have finally caught up with the weather and decided to put in a late appearance so I am thanking them with an eight pack of Pepsi max cherry. They think they can defeat me. You want hydration? Piss off. You want me to move to alleviate the pain? F that.

This tit needs to be over.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
I know I'm a grown adult with no kids, but, Shaun the Sheep is one of my favourite TV shows.
Try Bluey on BBC kids. I promise you won't regret it

So he was brilliant for the vet, we got the blood samples and also took two samples out of a lump I wanted checking out. But while the vet agreed at first look that it was definitely worth testing for Cushings because he has so many of the symptoms, once we got into the field shelter and the stethoscope came out, we discovered that his heart is beating at about twice the speed it should be, and the lump turned out to be the edge of something very much bigger lurking in his neck just behind his jaw. So although it could be Cushings, we are probably also looking at heart failure and a tumour. Results from all the tests should be back on Friday, but I think next week we may well be saying goodbye to him :(

The patient is munching happily around some long fresh grass he hasn't been allowed into before and being fed double what he gets in the depths of winter in an attempt to try and keep up with the calories his heart is burning through, plus I've got him a couple of bales of Silvermoor haylage, which is a lovely sweet bagged hay. He's 27 and has had a good run, but our hearts are still breaking here today. Seems impossible that we're here when last month he was still cantering up the hill to come and have his supper.
Oh, god, I'm so sorry

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Despite having all the blinds closed yesterday and today, my flat is like an oven . Went to the bathroom about 3am to lay on the tiled floor only to be greeted by a bunch of flies all over the bin 🤮 so gave a liberal spray of raid , closed the door and gave up on that idea .

I’m struggling to keep drinks down so I’m chain sucking sucky snacks ice lollies and watching Mythbusters in front of a fan. Jamie’s walrus moustache is making me think of nice cold iceburgs . Adam’s leather jacket is reminding me that it won’t be hot for ever 😂.

I’m also dreaming of eating a big tub of ice cream while also being absolutely disgusted at the idea of eating anything, let alone ice cream 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Passing round fabs, fruit pastile lolly’s and mini calypsos ( or hot chocolates to those who want warming up ) to any one who needs them .

• Heart
Reactions: 23
32 here today. Our old and draughty house is finally coming into it's own, it's marginally less oven-like on one side. Kitchen feels like a bloody furnace though.

Decided that I'm sacking in work this afternoon and going for the approach that it's basically like being on holiday, so G&T o'clock.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I'm coping better today than yesterday as there's a nice breeze here. Have kept middle son off school today, heat is a trigger for him and he didn't cope well yesterday. He has a long taxi ride in too, and I worry they'll get stuck in traffic with little fluids to drink 😕.

@Falkor poor senior horse, keep us updated ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I softly, gently snaffled a tub of salted caramel HD - thanks whoever mentioned it! Global Town Hall this afternoon, so it'll be opened then. Hoping there aren't job cuts announced as a few tech firms have been "streamlining" recently.

It's 27 in the house, but hotter sat at my desk. Not long to go, it should ease this afternoon / evening.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Sending hugs up north @Falkor ❤.

Today is much warmer here. We are predicted rain via the metoffice but nothing via the BBC.

Does anyone remember the ice cream from about 30 years ago that had cream ice cream swirl things on the top that looked like someone had piped cream out? Omg, that was the nicest ice cream ever. The main flavour was tiramisu or chocolate but with the cream stuff on top it was pure nectar. My mother had obviously been feeling guilty about the tit sky ice creams and bought that for a few summers.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
My little flat is a furnace today - I have the windows and curtains closed but it's still very warm 🥵 luckily I went on a late night ice cream run last night so have some cold snacks ready...

• Heart
Sending sweaty hugs to all the fraus suffering in the heat, it's gross. Want it over. Send raindrop-o's.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
MCM- how is the Baileys-induced illness?

Watching the athletics in the gloom. Even the cool of the PNW doesn’t look particularly cool at the moment.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
We've been in an I Hate The Arseholes Who Insisted Upon A Fitted Kitchen So I had To Get Rid Of My Brand New Double Gas Cooker When I Moved In state for years. Especially as the third electric oven in ten years is now fucked and, thanks to Messrs. Bodgit & Leggett Ltd who Jerrybuilt the house, I'm restricted to only specific shape built in ovens that aren't in stock anywhere.

So we decided against a months-long search (been looking since before Christmas) + spending £500 with installation/disposal and ordered the biggest Ninja Dual Air Fryer last week (Amazon Day, £179). I don't think we'll be using a standard oven again, as it's actually a realistic size for two people - and we now have handy storage for the baking tins and tit we never used anyhow.

After all, once you've got space for a whole chicken in one drawer and a fuckton of potatoes in the other, can cook at two different temperatures and set them so they finish at the same time, a standard oven seems a bit, well - pointless.

We have actually had cooked food after all. Mr D made us a sausage and onion sandwich each.

Stay clear of MN though. They're all clearly feeling the heat right now.
Hi - potentially boring energy / ninja chat so will spoiler! Also appreciate if you’ve just got it you may not know so apologies in advance!

We’ve got family members who have purchased air fryers (not the ninja one, just a one drawer job) but they glaze over when I ask them questions about it. We are limited on space but trying to work out if it’s worth rejigging some bits and the initial cost in the energy potentially saved? Is it as simple as because they cook items quicker it will use less electric alongside the gas vs electric cost? As Tunnel said I’d rather not be lining the pockets of the energy firms so much. And another, final question….when roasting a chicken can you still collect any juices for gravy etc?

It’s still getting hotter here - we’re in the🔺 A1/M1 corridor and they’re predicting we’ve not peaked yet 🥵. Alongside extreme heat anxiety I find it quite claustrophobic when it’s this hot and all you’re breathing in is hot air. Mr Beds is still having steaming hot showers 🤪. Little Beds’ school had the option for early pick up due to the heat - his teacher looked shattered yesterday, no idea how you teach (or do a lot of jobs) in this heat. Looking forward to the predicted thunderstorms tomorrow⛈

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I find it quite claustrophobic
So much this. I feel on edge and uncomfortable in this heat. It's inescapable. It peaked at 39 and hasn't relented for hours now.

There's a good chance of rain tomorrow, crossing every finger and toe. If it does I'm going to blast some N-Trance and go spin in the shower. Set you freeeeeee!

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Feel like pure tit just want the rain back

My flat isn’t usually too bad in the heat but it’s boiling today. Even sitting in front of a fan eating an ice pop isn’t helping!

@Falkor I’m so sorry to hear it isn’t better news re senior horse 😞

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.