Food and Drink #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was nosying the background, I love your green collection!

I agree with @Captainmouse going to seed normally means no more flowers. The BBC gardener's world website has loads of tips and facts worth following. Also, there is an app called 'Picture This'. You can take a photo of a leaf/flower and it identifies plants for you and gives you tips for looking after them. That one is great for random little houseplants like succulents. I discovered one of my ferns was not even a fern, even though it's called asparagus fern. Helps me look after them better. (I use the free function, never subscribed.)
thank you for this recommendation! I pick flowers on walks to press for crafty thiiiings and sometimes wonder what they are- or just wonder what plants I see are in general!

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 24
thank you for this recommendation! I pick flowers on walks to press for crafty thiiiings and sometimes wonder what they are- or just wonder what plants I see are in general!
They are so pretty!
For some reason they remind me of the little tea cards you used to get.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
They are so pretty!
For some reason they remind me of the little tea cards you used to get.
Thank you! I’m very much a maker of gifts and things for those close to me, i embroider too. These were a first attempt and a bit freestyle, they are cards but I also think they’d look pretty framed.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Thanks to those that gave mice advice!

I would have loved to have done the humane thing but sadly there have been mice reports in 4 of the 11 flats in our block so it's a bit of an issue. I'm going away on holiday on Friday so the timing couldn't be worse 🙁

The one that I saw yesterday I have managed to trap in the spare bedroom but after seeing it on the bed this afternoon, I'm too scared to go in there without backup. Tomorrow my neighbor is providing the emotional support and we are going to go in and lay traps. I'm gutted because I've got clothes, my nice pjs and other things in there it's probably pissing and shitting all over but having it contained to the one room is helping me to get some sleep at least 😬 it's times like this I hate living alone!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 26

I would have loved to have done the humane thing but sadly there have been mice reports in 4 of the 11 flats in our block so it's a bit of an issue. I'm going away on holiday on Friday so the timing couldn't be worse 🙁

The one that I saw yesterday I have managed to trap in the spare bedroom but after seeing it on the bed this afternoon, I'm too scared to go in there without backup. Tomorrow my neighbor is providing the emotional support and we are going to go in and lay traps. I'm gutted because I've got clothes, my nice pjs and other things in there it's probably pissing and shitting all over but having it contained to the one room is helping me to get some sleep at least 😬 it's times like this I hate living alone!
I was moving out of a flat and while packing a mouse appeared, so I got one of those humane traps on Amazon. Anyway, there was a weeks gap where I went to visit my family and hadn’t been to the flat, and popped over to do a final clean once it was empty.

I assume the humane mousetrap worked, but the mouse died in the interim awaiting release. I tried 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Sad
  • Wow
What do the hats mean? Is it Christmas in July?
Ah, it is Tattle's birthday! Yay!

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I have got into the habit of late night snacking (I know that's bad, but it could be worse) and, omg, aren't these the best???

20220713_000014.jpg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
I adore the bacon fries and can gobble up packets of them in one sitting. No shame in nightsnacks. These are god tier anytimesnacks.
omg! nightsnacks! of course they're nightsnacks! 🤤

I do like the bacon fries, but the scampi fries are the best

at risk of being too much peter kay/jack: "who remembers cheese moments"???

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20

I’ve had mice twice, on two continents too (sigh what an accomplishment), both while living on my own, so I empathize. Fabric stuff a day after a mouse has been on it you can just give a really good wash so none of that will be ruined, the idea is just a bit ick. Get the traps in tomorrow, and in every room while you’re away if you’re able, along the skirting boards is good as that’s where they tend to run more than across the middle of the floor. If you have any even teeny gaps anywhere, seal them. Also, any piles of loose paper you have or anything that could make good nesting material or that they could ruin by peeing on it, seal those in something mouse proof

Also, even though all your food’s in glass jars be super meticulous about clearing up every last crumb after you eat, and also until you know that the infestation’s gone from the entire block, make sure you sanitize all your kitchen surfaces, your plates etc really carefully right before you eat off them (not trying to freak you out but in the unlikely event they’re running across that stuff, you keep yourself safe and healthy that way).

It’s a bastard being reliant on others in your block to do their parts, but you want your flat to be as inhospitable to them as possible so there’s no food or nesting source there and hope they duck off somewhere else to eat etc until professionals are able to come out and deal with the whole block.

Also, while you know they’re in your block still, keep an eye out along your skirting boards, in the drawers etc for little poops. Even when you don’t see the mice, the poops will let you know if they’re around in your place. Keep the traps going until you see neither mouse nor turd. Good luck and hang in there!!! I have vanquished the mice twice so you will be able to do the same!!!

• Heart

Cheese moments were the best of the three!

You can buy a full card of scampi fries from Amazon quite cheaply. I like them with a few dashes of hot sauce thrown into the bag. The hot sauce also serves as a way of stopping the cat stealing the bag off my desk.

• Haha

Cheesy Moments. Kach, as soon as i read that i started salivating. i absolutely loved them!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
I've just bought a whole card of walrus snacks. Hurry up, Sunday!

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I have got into the habit of late night snacking (I know that's bad, but it could be worse) and, omg, aren't these the best???

View attachment 1412521
I haven’t eaten a packet of scampi or bacon fries since I had a bar job at a workingmen’s club in my late teens and my mate and I ate more than 20 packets between us over the course of a 4 hour shift by filling (and topping up) a plastic Bell’s whiskey ice bucket* under the bar and “discreetly” eating them out of there🔺

Funnily enough, I went off them a bit after that. Though 31 years later, I think I’d be willing to try a scampi fry again…the bacon might have to wait another 10 years though before it’s eligible for parole from my mental “fries jail”

*if you’d like to replicate this feat in the comfort of your own home, I’m delighted to tell you that you can find your very own bespoke Bell’s scampi/bacon fries bucket on eBay. Happy Times. 😂
E0B676DD-750E-4A8F-87DD-931080C854A3.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Please add me to the list of frauen encouraged by the bravery of the canal to go and get their smear test. It was fine although I did have to sit down for five minutes afterwards to ensure I wasn't about to pass out. There was a bloke in front of me in the waiting room who got called by one of the doctors and as they went into the consulting room I heard the doctor say 'are you two together?'. The bloke looked back utterly confused and the doctor said 'I thought you were with that guy, you've got very similar tattoos'. I am currently re-working this into a doctor shouting something like 'WHAT ARE YOU? BIRDS CAN'T HAVE TATTOOS' at me as all the other patients cackle and dance in a circle around me, after which I will expect cashos to heal the withered husk of my self-esteem.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 40
Please add me to the list of frauen encouraged by the bravery of the canal to go and get their smear test. It was fine although I did have to sit down for five minutes afterwards to ensure I wasn't about to pass out. There was a bloke in front of me in the waiting room who got called by one of the doctors and as they went into the consulting room I heard the doctor say 'are you two together?'. The bloke looked back utterly confused and the doctor said 'I thought you were with that guy, you've got very similar tattoos'. I am currently re-working this into a doctor shouting something like 'WHAT ARE YOU? BIRDS CAN'T HAVE TATTOOS' at me as all the other patients cackle and dance in a circle around me, after which I will expect cashos to heal the withered husk of my self-esteem.
Mine was cancelled last week for unspecified reasons, you have reminded me that I need to phone up and re-book.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
These are beautiful, I love pressed flowers ❤

Slowly grunking and catching up where I can. Love all the pet and crafty chat - brought knitting with me on holiday as I'm making my mum a cardigan, currently knitting the sleeves which are boring as hell to do. Send motivation-os.

I sympathise with the mice problems, I saw a rat climb up our apple tree towards the bird feeders a few months back and I just can't bear them. My delightful OH nicknamed him Nobby. Thankfully not seen indoors but had to put down poison traps for them, not sure if they can be humanely released? I know the pet ones are supposed to be really intelligent and clean but they just make me feel :sick::sick::sick:.

I'm currently in Scotland having an absolute walrus whale of a time. The weather is a bit cooler than the NE of England which suits me no end. We've been on a whisky tour and tasting this afternoon and now my OH is having a nap.... I got all my samples bottled up to have later. Can't get over how beautiful it is!

Bought myself a Scottish Tintin book because it's bloody amazing.

20220713_115143.jpg

20220713_111210.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 29
These are beautiful, I love pressed flowers ❤

Slowly grunking and catching up where I can. Love all the pet and crafty chat - brought knitting with me on holiday as I'm making my mum a cardigan, currently knitting the sleeves which are boring as hell to do. Send motivation-os.

I sympathise with the mice problems, I saw a rat climb up our apple tree towards the bird feeders a few months back and I just can't bear them. My delightful OH nicknamed him Nobby. Thankfully not seen indoors but had to put down poison traps for them, not sure if they can be humanely released? I know the pet ones are supposed to be really intelligent and clean but they just make me feel :sick::sick::sick:.

I'm currently in Scotland having an absolute walrus whale of a time. The weather is a bit cooler than the NE of England which suits me no end. We've been on a whisky tour and tasting this afternoon and now my OH is having a nap.... I got all my samples bottled up to have later. Can't get over how beautiful it is!

Bought myself a Scottish Tintin book because it's bloody amazing.

View attachment 1414242

View attachment 1414241
Love Tobermory!

The Glengorm Cafe does lovely wee cakes if you're looking for a lunch spot x

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.