Food and Drink #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sending my love to Hotes, JCC and all the fraus, I can't offer any advice, just that I hope all turns out well for you (and for your friend JCC).

What a cutie!

I managed to get interviews for both jobs I applied for, please send good luckeroos for next week please 🤞
Have a 4 leaf clover-o, good luck!

• Heart
Reactions: 23
We had Niknaks in South Africa when I was growing up, and they were a real SA thing. I have now gone down a Niknak-shaped rabbithole and discovered that they are completely different from British Niknaks, and there have been legal battles to stop them being imported into the UK due to the name (apparently the British ones are Nik Naks and SA are Niknaks).

Sometimes I read tit like this and worry that this nugget of utterly irrelevant information has just pushed something more potentially useful out of my brain forever (goodbye cosine rule).
Not at all dearheart! I had no idea about that! But I suppose it’s the same as British vs SA cream soda, jelly tots and jelly babies ect! Very different indeed!
Without doxing myself I’m part SA but have only been there a handle of times when I was little, still find stuff like this very nostalgic 🥰
Also want to add that Wimpy serve up seriously delicious food in SA, SPAs are actually great and O O O O oros 😂

We had Niknaks in South Africa when I was growing up, and they were a real SA thing. I have now gone down a Niknak-shaped rabbithole and discovered that they are completely different from British Niknaks, and there have been legal battles to stop them being imported into the UK due to the name (apparently the British ones are Nik Naks and SA are Niknaks).

Sometimes I read tit like this and worry that this nugget of utterly irrelevant information has just pushed something more potentially useful out of my brain forever (goodbye cosine rule).
Had to share this too! A relative of mine 🔻🔻would keel over whenever anyone quoted this ad 😂

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Wow - everyone has so much news, good and bad, its difficult to keep up with the thread sometimes. I do read everyone's posts, just don't always get a chance to reply to people individually as often as I'd like. I think it goes to show what a supportive place this is that everyone feels comfortable sharing so many life events with the canal ❤ Big 🤗 to Hotes, Bob, JCC and anyone else who needs or wants one.

On a completely unrelated and much more trivial note, I went to a pizza restaurant today and the pizza was great but it turned out that for some reason they'd put Sichuan peppercorns in the grinder. It was... quite the choice. (Or possibly an accident by someone who didn't know the difference. Either way, made for a very odd pizza experience.)

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Hello everyone, just popping in for a fast grunk before a very early bedtime, to share this lovely sunset at my FIL’s farm, and send hang in thereos and good luckos to those going through tough times/with imminent interviews. I’ll catch up properly tomorrow, goodnight!

EA5DF518-3B24-4750-880C-A07E70322364.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 30
no, you just woke up after falling asleep in the kitchen and were guilt tripped into giving these cuties some nightmeat to keep them ticking over
20220709_053718.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
I wanted to show a complete opposite to our Cack, this podcast is the only one I’ve ever found that actually helps me sleep!
I know it’s so early in the morning so not the best advert but I’m listening to it now, had stuff to do! (Not superpower ASD like Jack spews on about, I’ve been up all night with rubbish)
This guy is amazing and his show is a breathe of fresh air, inclusive and it’s so soothing and lovely.

I listen to the free version, started when I was traveling and living in crappy hostels, still do now and it’s a godsend!
Definitely worth patreon if you can do, but it’s the most comforting thing ever!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Elephant Shrew facts for Facturday - currently reading along but not commenting because in real life also dealing with organising a funeral etc for my much loved, much missed parent. It's weird how (in my experience at least) in the early days you don't feel hungry at all, but when you do eat everything is oddly delicious ( so neighbours bringing food are so much appreciated!). What with all the news it's been a surreal week, thank you all for the safe place!
Screenshot_20220709-064428_kindlephoto-376974424.png

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Not at all dearheart! I had no idea about that! But I suppose it’s the same as British vs SA cream soda, jelly tots and jelly babies ect! Very different indeed!
Without doxing myself I’m part SA but have only been there a handle of times when I was little, still find stuff like this very nostalgic 🥰
Also want to add that Wimpy serve up seriously delicious food in SA, SPAs are actually great and O O O O oros 😂

Had to share this too! A relative of mine 🔻🔻would keel over whenever anyone quoted this ad 😂
😍😍😍

I love this! The SA ad industry is, quite randomly, one of the best and most creative in the world. SA adverts are brilliant.

The prime example of this is Nando's, which is originally a South African chain. I find it mad that in the UK it's mostly known for being kind of a tacky place to eat out; in SA it's known for making incredible ads, which are often highly political and frequently get banned.

And here's an incredibly touching ad for, of all things, whisky. I used to use this as part of an activity when I was teaching, and it would quite often leave my students in tears.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
My Facturday fact was going to be that the skin of a jacket potato has more vitamin c than an orange but when I googled to fact check it told me that wasn’t quite true :(

But I did come across this image and it made me think of the Frauen who like the Idahoan mash :)

8430B097-4F6E-489A-BE09-067620FCD69F.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Elephant Shrew facts for Facturday - currently reading along but not commenting because in real life also dealing with organising a funeral etc for my much loved, much missed parent. It's weird how (in my experience at least) in the early days you don't feel hungry at all, but when you do eat everything is oddly delicious ( so neighbours bringing food are so much appreciated!). What with all the news it's been a surreal week, thank you all for the safe place!
View attachment 1403345
I'm glad you've got people taking care of you ♥

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I can live in a world without Twisties, but I would not live in a world with no Arnott's Shapes

Also, chicken Twisties: MCM and Cookie, do you have a view? I'm for, though it's been many a year since we crossed paths

• Heart
Reactions: 11
View attachment 1403345
Thinking of you and your loved ones @jordishaw ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Omg hello dear heart! You cycle?! Omg you brave soul! How is that for you? Tbh that area doesn’t look as bad as Shoreditch way which feels like hell for cyclists.

I’m very rarely in the office these days thankfully/sadly 😭 are you in a lot? And are you in fashion or books or theatre loool if you don’t mind me asking? It still feels less busy than pre pandemic doesn’t it. I read some research that said it’s -20% but it feels like less than half ngl.

Also so excited the American candy shops are getting busted 😂
Great intuition! I'm in fashion, daaaaarling lol. (Research/designer role, FANCY!) But, like yourself, only in office a couple of days a week now.

Soho is eerie quiet, even though it looks busy, it's not. And yes! So happy those candy shops got busted. They need to sort Oxford Street out, it's a freaking dump. Oh my gosh, did you go into House of Fraser when it was shutting down before xmas? LJC, it was like the scummiest TK Maxx on earth. Shameful.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I can live in a world without Twisties, but I would not live in a world with no Arnott's Shapes

Also, chicken Twisties: MCM and Cookie, do you have a view? I'm for, though it's been many a year since we crossed paths
LOVE shapes, if anyone who lives in London has seen them anywhere (apart from online) I would be eternally grateful! apart from mamgos they are the one thing (food wise) I miss most from oz!

• Sad
Reactions: 7
LOVE shapes, if anyone who lives in London has seen them anywhere (apart from online) I would be eternally grateful! apart from mamgos they are the one thing (food wise) I miss most from oz!
I swear to god I've seen them in B&M/Home Bargains at one time. Trouble is, they're both random with their stock availability, so may have just been a one time thing.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Any fans of sewing bee, and Esme, her book is £1.99 on Amazon kindle
Thank you - I love Sewing Bee. My mum is a really proficient sewer and to my shame I never had the interest growing up. Though she’s just replaced her sewing machine and has dropped a few hints. Maybe I could start small/basic with some hankies (they look simple enough)???

Ed Kimber’s One Tin Bakes Easy is down to £2.99 - I know it’s not the 99p bargain but still seems a good price. I’ve downloaded it - will share if I attempt anything.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Third wave feminism (approx Gen X era) eschewed such things as sewing. We saw our mother's *not* having it all, and turned away from skills, arts and crafts traditionally of women to take on a "man's world" and glass ceilings. Source: me after reading Germaine Greer, Marilyn French et al. Survey depth: some friends

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Sewing is a lot easier than it seems at first (which, if you think about it...so many of the clothes we buy are made by literal children, so it follows that sewing is not that difficult).

Having said that, like any new skill it can take a while to grasp. The hard part is generally fitting clothes to your body, figuring out the adjustments you need to make, etc. Also, mistakes can be expensive. If you duck up knitting you can just rip back and start again, but with sewing if you duck up, you've just ruined your fabric.

Third wave feminism (approx Gen X era) eschewed such things as sewing. We saw our mother's *not* having it all, and turned away from skills, arts and crafts traditionally of women to take on a "man's world" and glass ceilings. Source: me after reading Germaine Greer, Marilyn French et al. Survey depth: some friends
There's also the general idea that if a man does a craft it's high art, and if a woman does it it's not even worth commenting on (see also: cooking). Traditionally female crafts are so undervalued, it's sad.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.