Food and Drink #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sideboard Cat says hello to everyone. She doesn't seem to be upset about being away for a few weeks which is good. She's been asleep in the bedroom all afternoon ignoring me, after eating treats and killing a spider. Tough life.

View attachment 1371452

Talking of things that are scary, I drove for the first time in nearly ten years today and it was terrifying. My mum wants me to try a couple more times to get my confidence back before making a decision but I don't think I want to do it again. I felt like I wasn't far off going round a roundabout constantly screaming with my eyes closed 😂
Hello/Meow Sideboard Cat

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I remember Carbonel as well, our teacher read it to the class at age 6 I think and I loved it. And it's another book I bought an old copy of. I have an old children's book habit. is there a support group I can join?

• Heart
I remember Carbonel as well, our teacher read it to the class at age 6 I think and I loved it. And it's another book I bought an old copy of. I have an old children's book habit. is there a support group I can join?
Abe Books used to have a brilliant message board where you could post 'I loved a book about X but can't remember the title or author but ... ' and someone would usually be able to identify it surprisingly quickly.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I remember Carbonel! And the treasure chest reminds me of Maria finding the sewing box in The Little White Horse, which is full of tiny precious things (probably not what you were thinking of Sidey B, but another top favourite from the library.) There's a lot of amazing little treasures in The Midnight Folk as well, plus delicious food.
I had completely forgotten about The Little White Horse! But I think that might be what I was thinking of as well - I was confusing it with The Chimneys of Green Knowe.

All of this reminiscing is making me want to read these again, but I'm a bit scared to in case it's just not the same when you're an adult and the spell is broken.

• Heart
Re-reading The Little White Horse again was genuinely interesting, there was quite a lot of strangeness but it's also very serious and intense (& a lot of really good writing, I thought?) I've done a lot of re-reading childhood favourites while ill - The Earthsea books especially, plus the Terry Pratchett Tiffany Aching series - and it was comforting but also quite challenging to realise how many big ideas were in them.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Aww hello Sideboard Cat!! I’m so glad you two are reunited 😻

I found out what the book was! “My Naughty Little Sister”!

E1D8E009-A224-4028-A1C9-B1AEBF418024.jpeg

@BubbleDuck i prefer your version though! Do you have a PayPal I can donate to pre-order “Björn In The Box” please? Thank you for everything you do 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Sorry for the whiplash.

We are watching Elbow (I thought the song they were playing sounded like Nightswimming) and have just got into a massive argument (slight exaggeration but, 😶) about how the likes of REM are never to be repeated and some bands nowadays just aren’t the same quality.

I have been told in no uncertain terms that I can’t comment on music because I like Matchbox 20.

I’ll stick to books. Any takers on the treasure chest?

Treasure island?

ETA- fantastic detective work. Now you can find out why Jack didn’t turn up today.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
ETA- fantastic detective work. Now you can find out why Jack didn’t turn up today.
The bungalow was invaded by a large number of dwarves who kidnapped her and took her on an interminably long journey to find a missing ring (if only they'd asked, she had several in a drawer they could have had)?

Fell down a rabbit hole on the way to the station and spent so long playing croquet with flamingos and talking to hookah-smoking caterpillars that she missed the train?

Made it to the station but was overcome at the arrival of the 08.43 from London Liverpool Street, and had to be restrained by the stationmaster in the act of embracing a bewildered middle-aged gentleman whilst shouting 'Harold, my Harold!'?

I'll stop there.....

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I had completely forgotten about The Little White Horse! But I think that might be what I was thinking of as well - I was confusing it with The Chimneys of Green Knowe.

All of this reminiscing is making me want to read these again, but I'm a bit scared to in case it's just not the same when you're an adult and the spell is broken.
Read it - it’s still beautiful (if very old fashioned). I looked mine out a while ago and wished I was a dainty little person who could fit in a moon tower.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Somehow, I was convinced that a spontaneous camp would be nice last night so we drove to a loch ( really 🔺 myself here). It was extremely windy but not terrible. My tarpo was roundly mocked, but we did see a wee sheepo that made me think of @Falkor. We thought they might be Scottish Blackface but not sure?

Screenshot 2022-06-26 at 19.12.14.png

And saw a very beautiful rainbow!
Screenshot 2022-06-26 at 19.14.05.png

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I did English Lit too - found my old copy of Ulysses - which I didn’t read at the time - but not sure if I will manage it. My attention span is lacking.

The last books I got and devoured and really enjoyed were the Crazy Rich Asians trilogy - brilliant trash reading but also about somewhere I know nothing about and really want to go (in a private 747 with a spa obvs). I reread them for a brain cleanse when it’s all a bit hectic with work and life.
I read Ulysses as part of my first degree. Hard work frankly. Since I got older I'm totally bored with fiction. Can only read practical/ non fiction.

• Heart
Somehow, I was convinced that a spontaneous camp would be nice last night so we drove to a loch ( really 🔺 myself here). It was extremely windy but not terrible. My tarpo was roundly mocked, but we did see a wee sheepo that made me think of @Falkor. We thought they might be Scottish Blackface but not sure?

View attachment 1371753
And saw a very beautiful rainbow!
View attachment 1371765
Looks like a young Scottish Blackface to me too :)

• Heart
Ok Sidey B I need to know the crunchy bar starting with B

I see Sideboard Cat is as metal as ever, Sidey T. Good to see her back. I don’t drive, I’m bad at it, become complacent, distractable, reckless and nervy all at the same time, so have kindly decided it’s not in the public interest for me to drive.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Lovely to see Sideboard Cat back with you TS. She appears to have settled straight back in which is great for you both!

Watching Pet Shop Boys - they know how to please the crowd. The cat is less pleased, as I know all the words and am singing along. Her tail was wagging furiously as I ruined Losing My Mind.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
just adding to the love for that beautiful little sideboard cat. she is the best ❤

everyone else's cats are also the best ❤

a week from now, I'm getting to hang out with FOUR cats for a week! cannot wait

• Heart
Reactions: 22
just adding to the love for that beautiful little sideboard cat. she is the best ❤

everyone else's cats are also the best ❤

a week from now, I'm getting to hang out with FOUR cats for a week! cannot wait
Hope it’s not this one

E5A3AD21-92AB-44AF-8351-6938802DF9B7.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 27
Sideboard cat is definitely thinking about how to proceed now she is home.

1. Forget about everything and move on
2. Hold a grudge FOREVER
3. Be sick in hidden places
4. Shower you with love but refuse food

Cats are epic. Dogs just follow you round waiting for crumbs.*

How is it Monday already? We were meant to go to a concert on Saturday but it got cancelled due to Covid. It’s like the gig gods are against us.

* obviously dogs do more than this. Tunnel dog is currently thinking about how to worry me ALL day.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
Morning Fraus! Loving the book chat. Been having a really stressful time at work lately (nothing bad just going through a ridiculously busy period doing early mornings and late nights, but luckily have the best, most supportive manager who keeps me going - she is one of those rare managers who will jump in and do the leg work too so although stressful not nearly as bad as it could be - but I digress). Strangely of an evening when my brain is dead, the only thing that relaxes me is reading (usually when stressed I can't pick up a book) but I've been rereading all my old comforts. Crazy Rich Asian trilogy, all the Malory Towers and St Clares, am now working through Marian Keyes again. Usually I'm a historial novel frau, Margaret George and Philippa Gregory are my main loves, but also (and this is a bit of a 🔺️ plug as she is an IRL friend) if anyone else loves historical fiction and hasn't already read her books, even if she wasn't a friend, I highly recommend Stacey Halls books. Strong female characters in fascinating times, they are fab!

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.