Food and Drink #26

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What is MT?
Can I ask that without being in trouble?
Of course! It’s the Main Thread, aka the Jack Monroe threads, where most of us usually read or post, but all are welcome here!

This post explains the in-jokes

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Good morning ninnies, hope all are well. Feeling under the weather today but off to work later as my grifting skills are poor 🙃 Made a lovely cous cous salad for my dinner later though with rocket, spring onions, cherry tomatoes, feta and Quorn sliced chicken fillets with a dollop of sweet chilli sauce. Yum!

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Morning Frauen.
Still boring AF on the MT.
I was a tender young Frau working as a community staff nurse (and very quiet about my private life) around the time of "It's a Sin". The homophobia of my "colleagues" was appalling. Nurses are definitely NOT angels...

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 29
@MancBee it's lovely to have you join us over here, sorry that it's JM being such a horror that's sent you across. Lots of love to you, and anyone else that's struggling ❤.

On topic - I made these the other day, have to say they were pretty good! Think next time I'll change up the filling though, I think a saucier filling would work better, and some mozzarella it something would be lush too 😊. Ignore the odd black specks on a couple of them, it's just rogue bits of parsley!

PXL_20220522_170553927.jpg

Recipe -

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Puppy question! Mostly for @Geetbo but also anyone else who has had a puppy! We're doing crate training but finding it hard - we've had her just over 2 weeks now and she really seems to hate the crate - the breeder said to persevere but it breaks my heart hearing her cry so much when she's in there 💔 does anyone have any tips to make it better? I've googled but most things I've found have said to just persevere too, have comfort things in there (we have teddies, a blanket, at night we put a (warm not hot) hot water bottle in one corner with a ticking clock covered by a blanket but she still seems distressed. I want to give up on it and let her just have a bed but apparently that's a bad idea?

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Puppy question! Mostly for @Geetbo but also anyone else who has had a puppy! We're doing crate training but finding it hard - we've had her just over 2 weeks now and she really seems to hate the crate - the breeder said to persevere but it breaks my heart hearing her cry so much when she's in there 💔 does anyone have any tips to make it better? I've googled but most things I've found have said to just persevere too, have comfort things in there (we have teddies, a blanket, at night we put a (warm not hot) hot water bottle in one corner with a ticking clock covered by a blanket but she still seems distressed. I want to give up on it and let her just have a bed but apparently that's a bad idea?
Tbh I'm not even trying this time - I've done crate training twice before and once the puppy loved it and wanted to be in there all the time, and the other one hated it. We have got one this time but he just won't go in it, he's much happier on a bed so that's what we've gone with.

I'm not a massive fan of them in general tbh, but they do definitely work for some dogs.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
@MancBee thank you for sharing and sorry she’s being a triggering ghoul.

Not as cute as Geetbo Pup, Tunnel Dog and the many many thread cats but Little Beds found a snail on the school run this morning, took it into school and to my horror came out of school holding said snail 🐌. En route home there were lots of birds about as we’ve had a lot of rain so they were looking for worms - Little Beds was hiding the snail from them which was equally cute as it was funny. I’m encouraging him to let the Snail have its freedom back. It’s incredible how kids find such beauty in the ugliest things (sorry snails).
It's been a good year for tiny cute snails, I did not adopt this one as a pet but I did not dispose of it as a keen gardener should either, it was just too pretty. I think of oggies as having a lamb and leek filling (but it has been quite a long time since I've eaten one). This thread has a lovely gentle pace, but it's oddly full of hiraeth for me (which is also lovely)

snail.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 21
It's been a good year for tiny cute snails, I did not adopt this one as a pet but I did not dispose of it as a keen gardener should either, it was just too pretty. I think of oggies as having a lamb and leek filling (but it has been quite a long time since I've eaten one). This thread has a lovely gentle pace, but it's oddly full of hiraeth for me (which is also lovely)

View attachment 1292713
Squee! I love very tiny smol creatures (except manic pixies) Especially really dinky geckos.

• Heart
We did it with Dot. I made it her safe place, gave her all her treats in there and rewarded her each time she went in either by me asking or of her own volition.

Maybe pop JCC pup in for five/ten mins throughout the day, giving her a little treat each time, gradually increasing how long she’s in her crate and she can start associating it with the good stuff?

Hearing them cry is SO hard but remember they are very good at training us so try and persevere if you can!

• Heart
Reactions: 22
@Nottonightbabe
That recipe looks fabulous! Might do them for my SlL's birthday picnic in July. Alas Ms Stringy doesn't do gluten or dairy, but we get better at adaptations as time goes by.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
We tried, but had same issues and tried exactly the same methods. She’d happily take herself into her crate during the day but at night it was a no go. Crying constantly. We managed 3 weeks then she seemed to get it somewhat, so it was semi successful. Then we missed her so we brought her into bed, where she has stayed since, no issues!

ETA She did take herself in there sometimes during the day, and she did like it to an extent, she was just much more settled snuggled with us. And we were too soft! We got rid of her crate when she was about 8 months old (we kept it as she had a broken leg so DID need it when we were out). We provided her a small footstool so she can get in and out of bed easily 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 21
No advice here re crate training puppies. Have you tried giving up work, devoting your hours to kissing and playing with puppy and having them sleep on your bed? May be worth a try

ETA: @EllaEm87 is living proof my idea works

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
View attachment 1286519Just popping in to send ❤ To everyone struggling both with the MT and real life stuff.

Maisie says hello 👋 @Geetbo and @Into_the_tunnel dogs
Hello.

Grunking as respite from MT and saw Maisie. Have had to save her picture as I’m sure one look at her will improve 99% of
emotional woes 🥰

ETA
Apologies, my last line was flippant, obviously not referring to anyone having real difficulties, not wishing to undermine anyone’s struggles, feelings or issues.

• Heart
Tbh I'm not even trying this time - I've done crate training twice before and once the puppy loved it and wanted to be in there all the time, and the other one hated it. We have got one this time but he just won't go in it, he's much happier on a bed so that's what we've gone with.

I'm not a massive fan of them in general tbh, but they do definitely work for some dogs.
Good to know, thank you! Breeder was adamant that we continue but if she still doesn't like it in the next few days I think we will give up, I'd rather her be happy than anything else!

We did it with Dot. I made it her safe place, gave her all her treats in there and rewarded her each time she went in either by me asking or of her own volition.

Maybe pop JCC pup in for five/ten mins throughout the day, giving her a little treat each time, gradually increasing how long she’s in her crate and she can start associating it with the good stuff?

Hearing them cry is SO hard but remember they are very good at training us so try and persevere if you can!
That's kind of what we've been doing - short time in and treats so she associates it with nice things but she just spits the treats out and cries! It just breaks my heart, I'm such a softie haha.

• Heart
@Jay-cloth Cow have you got one of those balls that dispenses treats when it’s played with? Might help, although it does sound like she shuts up shop in protest.

Although it’s fine to give up if that’s what suits you, maybe persevere with an eye to future vet visits. Am sure you know that, not trying to teach you to suck eggs 😊

• Heart
@Jay-cloth Cow have you got one of those balls that dispenses treats when it’s played with? Might help, although it does sound like she shuts up shop in protest.

Although it’s fine to give up if that’s what suits you, maybe persevere with an eye to future vet visits. Am sure you know that, not trying to teach you to suck eggs 😊
We don't but that's a good idea! We have a snuffle mat which she loves outside the crate, I tried putting it in there before putting her in just now but she ignored it totally.

She's actually really good in the car, we have a clip on lead thing which plugs into the seatbelt so I think vet trips will be fine - gets her 2nd jabs next week so will see for sure then!

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Hello.

Grunking as respite from MT and saw Maisie. Have had to save her picture as I’m sure one look at her will improve 99% of
emotional woes 🥰

ETA
Apologies, my last line was flippant, obviously not referring to anyone having real difficulties, not wishing to undermine anyone’s struggles, feelings or issues.
I didn't find that flippant at all, I can't speak for anyone else but I suffer from depression and chronic pain and for me, looking at videos and pictures of animals and nature is guaranteed to bring a smile to my face when I'm having a bad day. I love seeing how everyone on here has such love for their pets. I know I'd struggle so much more if I didn't have my cats Pooh and Susan for impromptu head boops and cuddles. ♥

• Heart
We tried, but had same issues and tried exactly the same methods. She’d happily take herself into her crate during the day but at night it was a no go. Crying constantly. We managed 3 weeks then she seemed to get it somewhat, so it was semi successful. Then we missed her so we brought her into bed, where she has stayed since, no issues!

ETA She did take herself in there sometimes during the day, and she did like it to an extent, she was just much more settled snuggled with us. And we were too soft! We got rid of her crate when she was about 8 months old (we kept it as she had a broken leg so DID need it when we were out). We provided her a small footstool so she can get in and out of bed easily 😂
My parents have a dog and did it with her as a puppy, the important thing was to cover it with a blanket or something so it is not light, also if you are on the ground floor move it away from windows/doors, she always seemed to sense foxes and hood gonmad. Now she loves it and goes in automatically herself at night

• Heart
Reactions: 16
My parents have a dog and did it with her as a puppy, the important thing was to cover it with a blanket or something so it is not light, also if you are on the ground floor move it away from windows/doors, she always seemed to sense foxes and hood gonmad. Now she loves it and goes in automatically herself at night
Yes we did this too, it was covered with a blanket and during the day she loved it. At night it was a nope. We got her a lamb that had a beating heart and she absolutely adored it until it stopped after an hour and she wailed 😂 she still loves that lamb. It’s now totally destuffed and she’s humped it to to high heavens, the wee hussy.

ETA We got the lamb on Amazon. Everytime I looked at it I was reminded of the song “beating heart baby” and started emo dancing.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.