Food and Drink #23

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I used to love the veggie meatballs at IKEA but they've made them plant-based now, which I hadn't realised means fake meat, rather than made out of recognisable fruit or vegetables. I think there's a place for pretend meat but what about those of us who actually enjoy eating veg? Anyway, I'm an omnivore so I'm not sure I get a vote in this situation but that was a horrible surprise the last time I went to stock up on frozen meatballs.

I always get an iffy tummy from IKEA breakfasts. It doesn't stop me.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Oh that’s annoying, I liked the vegetable version of meatballs. Is ikea food good? Hmm. It’s cheap, it’s unique, it’s cooked well enough. Better than a supermarket cafe. Personally I used to like the soup. When I lived in London I would go to the one in Tottenham all the time after work as it was easy to get to. I forget for most people it’s an “out of town” trip.

I really hate this fake meat plant based stuff everywhere, I grew up on terrible vegetarian options and now I want them back, it’s what I’m used to. I don’t want sausages and burgers that bleed beetroot juice and taste like paste.

• Heart
The ikea veggie hotdogs used to be delicious. Sublime. The mustard was perfect too. And cost 50p. Like 10 years ago or something…. They replaced them with awful calzones and now they’re Quorn I think. Yea I am really invested….

Reactions: 12
I've never eaten Ikea food. The Wembley store's restaurant is always like a madhouse kids club. Christ no! And then I always feel a bit boak seeing people get the hotdog and such without washing their hands in any way as they leave. Lingonberry juice is delicious though!

Ikea are going to move into the old Topshop on Oxford Street, although, they say there wont be a restaurant. Seems like a missed trick.

• Wow
Reactions: 15
The ikea veggie hotdogs used to be delicious. Sublime. The mustard was perfect too. And cost 50p. Like 10 years ago or something…. They replaced them with awful calzones and now they’re Quorn I think. Yea I am really invested….
Dill crisps and Swedish Fish were my IKEA food highlights. Cloudberry jam too, but mostly for the name.

Reactions: 10
I've been to both Cape Kennedy and the Johnson Space Center. I think the Cape is much better as its where so much happens. You get to see all the launch pads, the scale of the place is amazing. JSC is more on the research and training side. Good, but I wouldn't go back. I would back for a 4th trip to the Cape.
The best museum in Houston is the Funeral Home Museum. That was a cracking day out! Further south in Galveston there is an oil rig platform moored up that is also a museum about oil / local history. And you can say you've been on an offshore rig.

Yes, I am *hugely* fun to go on holiday with :ROFLMAO:

IKEA food is superb for the price and convenience. Love the meatballs, hot dogs and have very fond memories of a lamb shank that cost £2.50 with the card thing.

Had a rubbish week after reacting to a change in meds, so only eaten beige buffet type food. Two days off work await me, so hoping I'm up for a trip to town for a meal out.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I may not have an Ikea but I do have multiple Lidls and if you're 90% vegan you need to get there stat. They're doing a 4-pack of these wafers for £2.19. A single pack is 95p from The Vegan Kind. I also picked up quite a few tins and jars of nice sounding Greek veggie dishes but let's face it, that's not as exciting as what the receipt calls waffle sandwiches.

waffle sandwich.jpg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
I’ve only been to IKEA a couple of times and foolishly didn’t eat there 🥺 I like their stuff but hate shopping with a passion so order online as much as possible!

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Throwing a new animal, well insect into the mix. As I was doing course work this afternoon I tit you not the worlds biggest bumblebee head butted the window. I wasn’t quick enough to get a pic but the size was epic compared to the normal garden bumblebee - it’s body/head was the size of a ping pong ball. Maybe it had been going hard at in the bumblebee gym and abusing steroids

I’m a bit too scared to Google giant bumblebee.

Also are bee and bumblebee interchangeable or are they different varieties of the same species. I’ve written bumblebee too many times now.

• Wow
  • Haha
Throwing a new animal, well insect into the mix. As I was doing course work this afternoon I tit you not the worlds biggest bumblebee head butted the window. I wasn’t quick enough to get a pic but the size was epic compared to the normal garden bumblebee - it’s body/head was the size of a ping pong ball. Maybe it had been going hard at in the bumblebee gym and abusing steroids

Also are bee and bumblebee interchangeable or are they different varieties of the same species. I’ve written bumblebee too many times now.
Wow!

Types of Bee in the UK: How to Tell the Difference - Woodland Trust

"You might be surprised to learn there are more than 250 species of bee in the UK.... There are 24 species of bumblebee in the UK"

I had no idea there were that many, I was trying to find a nice poster of bees...

Mmmm, honey.

• Wow
Reactions: 13
Carrot recipes please ? 🥕
I usually only get a few carrots in the weekly veg bag which just go into the start of veg soup with onion and celery - otherwise a quick pickle (like this https://thekitchengirl.com/quick-pickled-carrots-and-daikon/ ) or a korma (like this https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/creamy-veggie-korma) (Have just realised I usually use coconut milk these days instead of yogurt). That is a good tip for keeping them fresh thank you @EllaEm87, I'm normally in a rush to use them before they go shrivelled and bendy.

Reactions: 8

There's loads of big fat bees about when I walk my dog. They make me giggle, being all fat and buzzy.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15

I like bees. Yes you should have a variety of 170 in most parts of the UK, they are all different with their stripes and their colours. Not aware of steroid use in the bee community but it’s been a while.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
I usually only get a few carrots in the weekly veg bag which just go into the start of veg soup with onion and celery - otherwise a quick pickle (like this https://thekitchengirl.com/quick-pickled-carrots-and-daikon/ ) or a korma (like this https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/creamy-veggie-korma) (Have just realised I usually use coconut milk these days instead of yogurt). That is a good tip for keeping them fresh thank you @EllaEm87, I'm normally in a rush to use them before they go shrivelled and bendy.
She rolls them in a wet tea towel but they are separated so they don’t touch each other — watch and see what she does. She’s made one last 6 weeks so far!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
She rolls them in a wet tea towel but they are separated so they don’t touch each other — watch and see what she does. She’s made one last 6 weeks so far!
That's made me vom a little. Smelly, dank tea towel carrots.

• Haha
  • Sick
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.