Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Fruitjack

VIP Member
Still no result. Just had a text and jumped up expectantly but it was just Asda telling me about my 11 substitutions in my delivery later. To top it all they’ve substituted my reindeer crumpets for ordinary ones.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 19

Universal

Chatty Member
Fraus - I wanted to share my good news! I hope this doesn't come across as boasting as I really don't mean it that way - not sure if anyone remembers, but I went through a really tough time about 2 years ago, my MH was at an all time low mostly due to my job and being bullied by my manager - had 3 months signed off for anxiety and depression, went back for 6 months then left and got the job I'm in now. I absolutely love it, and am in a great place right now - and the other day my manager called me into a meeting room and said they are so happy with me that they wanted to promote me, but because there are redundancies going on in the business HR (where I work) can't be seen to be making people redundant then promoting within, so they gave me the pay rise I would have got if I was promoted, and a £100 amazon voucher as a little bonus 'it will help you buy stuff like toilet brushes and oven gloves that you need but don't want to buy for your new house'. I just wanted to share it as it's made me feel so good about myself and so valued, after being at a job which drove me to telling mr C I didn't think I could go on living anymore. Soppy moment too - you guys have been a real lifeline and comfort to me during the bad times and the good, so I want to thank you all ❤❤❤
This is great news and testament to your hard work and the value that you bring to the role. I hope this post gives others who are struggling hope too. Let us know what you buy with the vouchers, maybe a four or five slow cookers perhaps?

• Heart

AlphaBetaDeux

Our power went off on Friday and we abandoned the house for a hotel, so have been eating pub grub all weekend. I’m looking forward to getting home and having a few vegetables! I know I could have ordered something “healthy” but it’s kind of the law that you don’t in these situations 🤣

Hope everyone is well ❤

• Heart

Universal

Chatty Member
I think I can count on one hand the amount of times I have been out in the dark this year. In the past I have travelled nationally and internationally for work without a care in the world but now plan my work meetings so I can get home early.

I am planning on staying in Manchester next week with the economist bloke . He asked if I had any preference on hotels (he has a very generous expense account!) and I just asked for a hotel with a car park so I felt safe walking to and from my car. I really don't recognise this me!

Earlier this week I was in a pub in Westminster alone waiting for the rest of my team after work. It was empty and as I went in and ordered a drink a bunch of drunk city types came in, all happy and all men. They heard my scouse accent and asked why I was here and I told them for a meeting and waiting for my colleagues. They insisted to the barman that my drink went on their tab 'as a visitor to London'. I sat in the corner waiting for my team on a big table. When other men tried to sit at the table the city blokes said, 'not there mate, she's waiting for someone'. Anyway, the moral of this long story is that I was conflicted about how I felt. I didn't need 'looking after' nor did I feel threatened but I did feel grateful that they kept an eye on me until everyone else arrived. The independent feminist in me is outraged.

• Heart

Cariad

VIP Member
Diana was also very unwell not too long ago I and I believe she wrote about it, perhaps in The Telegraph. She mentioned it on her Insta account.
She has vasculitis ( an awful inflammatory autoimmune disease that affects blood vessels, organs, joints )
as a fellow sufferer I'd messaged her shortly after she'd mentioned her diagnosis and we had a lovely chat about coping with this debilitating illness and treatments ( often steroids and chemo/ disease modifying medication) she was very open about her illness ...at the time I hadn't really appreciated her food column but am now a convert!

• Heart

Fruitjack

VIP Member
Morning everyone. I don’t normally have time to keep up with anything except the MT but I’m still isolating and I’ve broken up from work. I did my PCR at 8am yesterday and results are usually much quicker so I’m checking my phone every minute and now I’m convinced they’ve been lost.

• Sad
  • Heart

Into_the_tunnel

VIP Member
Sloppy birthday @Into_the_tunnel the gift puddle has bestowed upon you these fetching mathematical broccoli leggings.

View attachment 927943

I am rubbish at offering support and advice but I want everyone to know that if I ❤ your post both Sideboard Cat and I are thinking of you.
Best present ever!!!!! I would never dye them black.

Thank you for everyone’s good wishes!

We decided to get a vegan pizza (it was like a bun fight in there…and we couldn’t find their vegan Christmas offerings- only a nut roast which didn’t look that great so not going back before Christmas) and I had a Colin caterpillar cupcake. Mrs T is taking the rest into school.

• Heart
Congratulations @Universal ! And thank you for sharing your experiences of being a working mum, it’s still something that’s not really spoken about because we all feel compelled to squash our family life down in the work place so this is a thing too! Pregnant then screwed posted some fabulous news about a woman who won £300k cos she’d recorded her discrimination, I really wish I had so strongly advise any women to record these sorts of convos cos sadly employers are still bellends!

Condolences @Falkor ❤

Hoping you’re well @traumatised sideboard ❤ I know it’s much easier said than done but one day at a time - the next big thing is the PCR then you can review what the situation is.

Is anyone else scared of another proper lockdown happening now? The Arthur case has broken my heart I really wish I had never heard the audio the midlands police released of his last morning it’s really affected me and now I’m pro actively against lockdowns. There’s not adequate support for anyone isolated or vulnerable, women and children in this country that they can assure us of everyone’s safety so they just can’t do it again? Look at all that’s happened, how can they justify it? Is this an alt right YouTube algorithm opinion to have?

Not me-railing or being a grief thief but it’s really affected me I’ve been crying 3+ times a day thinking of poor little Arthur feeling the things he said & no one responding to his needs. This country is truly the pits that we can’t help kids in these situations? Like it’s not even as if we can do anything to help? Sorry for the hysteria just not looking forward to the next few weeks as apparently the times are reporting some stuff on a return to the wfh mandate which feels like a precursor to a lockdown.

• Heart

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
I am tired and feeling really down actually it seems I’m sliding into a flare up.
Follow me for mor3 tips on the rehydration diet! Hydration is SO IN at the moment. I’ve been Mindfully nourishing my body with vegetable cup a soup today.

• Heart

AlphaBetaDeux

Had my booster vaccine today, Moderna as opposed to the previous ones, which were Pfizer. Had no side effects before, other than arm pain. This time though my body hurts! Not fluey aches, but like I'm bruised over my back and torso, from shoulder down to hips. Feel like I've taken a tumble down some stairs 😑
Sounds absolutely miserable! Make sure you keep on top of your pain relief, and if all else fails we can crowdsource you an Urban Decay kit should you need to present at your local ED for a CT scan ❤

• Haha

Sideboard Bob

VIP Member
I missed my chance to mention this on the MT, but I‘m sorry I can’t keep it to myself.

My kettle is a Silvercrest, which means it’s from LIDL! It works really well, and laughs in the face of a certain smol pixie who thinks they’re too good for Lidl or Aldi!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18

Into_the_tunnel

VIP Member
well, fuck me, I did not expect to wake up to this today! 😲

View attachment 890551
Snow!!!!!

Go and walk in it to refresh your feet❤.

No sleep here. I feel as though I am living in the outer Hebrides. Trees down. No trains, roofs off. Students were still running amok trying to get blown away like Dorothy though at 3am in 70mph gusts.

Oh, to be 21 again.

Or not.

• Wow
  • Heart

MaineCoonMama

VIP Member
@emm This is the pink lake in South Australia, image from google as I'm 800ks away at the moment. There's a better one in Perth that's a salt lake.
651467D6-3624-457B-9733-E184F2D42C12.jpeg

• Heart
  • Wow
In case anyone wanted a forensic breakdown of the vegan Archie the Caterpillar cake:

1. Price
- It's normally £6.99 but I got it on offer for £4.19. The OG Colin is £7 so there's no vegan tax. They both serve ten.​
2. Cake structure
- Normal caterpillar cakes are swiss rolls but Archie is a cuboid slab comprising two sponge layers sandwiched with chocolate buttercream which is obviously CHEATING.​
3. Cake flavour
- It's standard shop-bought sponge with a not particularly pronounced chocolate flavour. It is perfectly acceptable. In terms of texture I wouldn't say it's moist but it's definitely not dry and it holds together well.​
3. Cake coating
- Colin has a chocolate shell, this one is just buttercream on the outside.​
4. Decorative additions
- Tiny sprinkles are not an adequate replacement for chocolate beans.​
5. The face and feet
- Colin has chocolate face and feet, Archie has fondant face and feet. Everyone knows that chocolate is always better than fondant. I feel like Archie looks less terrifying than Colin so he has that going for him.​
I'm posting out slices of Archie to Australia because there's no way I can reasonably consume the whole thing by myself before he expires.

• Heart
  • Haha

Billybellend

Chatty Member
Hope you’re feeling better soon @heretoreaditall2019 and @MaineCoonMama

Definitely trying that relish next time we have hot dogs @traumatised sideboard sounds delicious!

Has @Billybellend posted recently? Just thought I hadn’t seen him about for a while
I’m here, Dear Hearts, fear not! Just not around much, as I’m BUSY at work, with situations in my homeland and at home home (so fuck off 😉😘).

I don’t want to ask about fish week. Ye Gods…don’t tell me thegifted/grifted freezer fish were finally used up? Or were they liberated?? Nemo? Is that you? 😉

Big love to all you mithering ninnies 🥰

• Heart

EddieBeds

VIP Member
Omg please do, I love a solved mystery!

:( so sorry you’re all going through this. Obviously don’t know your NICHE and really appreciate not all employers are so fab but would they be agreeable to some sort of flexible or reduced hours considering we’re in a pandemic? Can you take sick leave yourself (I know this is cheeky but this close to Christmas you only need a week or so to get you over the line!), or worst case is parental leave an option? Sadly this is going to happen to so many families over the next few weeks :/ I know it’s easier said than done but try not to worry - set yourself 1/2 (ideally highly visible 😂😳) things you know you can get done in a day, do them, and then that’s you done then switch off and no more worry. It’s ridiculous to expect parents to parent & work in a pandemic, time and time again they do these lockdowns and isolation measures with inadequate support for huge swathes of the country!
Thank you so much for this. My manager was actually really lovely when I emailed them and spoke to them - ‘family first, work second’. I identified two things I can achieve today and was told that would be enough and to just let them know at the end of the working day what I’ve done so if needed things can be reassigned.

Parental leave is practically non existent in the company I work in - think I’m allocated two days every rolling 12months! Mr Bed’s boss actually said ‘sounds like things are tricky maybe you need to employ a childminder’ - like mate really, have you seen the news??? My parents help where they can but they’re a two hour drive away so not on the door step - not a complaint as we can muddle through/have it easier than others but his boss made me want to scream.
Morning, so much going on for everyone here.

@EddieBeds ignore the outside world and do what is right for your family. The govt advice is woolly and designed (I think) to put people in such predicaments like yours. In your head fast forward a few weeks and look back on the situation and know you did the right thing. My take is that you sound like a very resilient person but you've been unwell, baby beds is under the weather and you are anxious about the spread in nursery; I'd take to the sofa and stay home until you are both better. There is no right and wrong here.
Thank you - that’s a really good way of thinking, helps to put a bit of perspective around it too. I also did the dreaded LFT and negative so a silver lining.

@kachoochoo sorry for your loss. Hope the next few days are ok until you’re on leave.

@jordishaw that’s simply beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

• Heart