Food and Drink #19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just dropping in to send a hug to @MaineCoonMama having a downer today.every day has a little bit of Maine Coon in it, even if the rest of the day is tit xx

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Tbh right now Ocado is a hot mess so I wouldn’t recommend switching until they’ve sorted that out. They moved to M&S food a few months ago and they’re lacking stock in so much tit - rock salt was a nightmare, you can’t get pitta breads for love nor money, it’s actually quite a poor service atm. I’ve been popping into local bakeries or M&S (not Jack Monroe with that one it’s just my closest supermarket lol) to do top ups and just using Ocado for big bulky items I can’t fit in the bottom of the buggy, like premade baby milk which we are now moving away from 💃🏻 The bright side of popping into M&S is how much is discounted - I would normally not pick them up in other supermarkets cos I think it’s immoral what Jack does but it’ll be like the entire Italian section or *all* the sandwiches or deli section or bakery etc so there’s an excess of stock and plenty for everyone, like to the point it would be v difficult to find something not discounted in those sections? But anyway use that to ~guide~ what I have for non HF dinner days or a fancy lunch lol. Sorry for essay but definitely wait a bit IMO but also recommend a nose in store as there’s loads of plant kitchen things you’d never think to look for online and discounted bits!

Awww it’s so lovely to have two who are such different little personalities 🥰 100% agree about familiarity also the sensory stuff we don’t even think about like smell / noise / etc won’t be as overwhelming hopefully? Also having an older sibling will defs help as I can definitely tell 👶🏼 starts off a bit overwhelmed at all the kiddies there staring at her or coming near her!

It’s interesting cos baby’s been so unexpectedly good that it makes me wonder is it even possible to predict how they’ll react? Baby H is truly a pandemic baby, literally it’s just the 3 of us with nanny up north once a month but she’s really thriving and I’m so proud and RELIEVED! Babies are resilient anyway they have to be they fall over 300 times a day and can’t communicate any of their needs to us so they’ve gotta be tough cookies 😂🥴

White noise - 100%, appreciate it’s a small sample size but I’ve had 2 nights of complete sleep now. It was less than £20 off Amazon so IMO already paid for itself with that. #afflink #influencer

Work - nothing surprises me with how companies can behave. There’s loads of ~think pieces~ doing the rounds on LinkedIn and the best point is how flexible employees have been during the pandemic and companies must repay that, but they’ll try and weasel their way out of it by any means necessary won’t they, you can see that coming a mile off!

Have yours handled your maternity this time round better? And do you know your wfh split yet?

<Ben Affleck smoking.jpeg> my job was fucked by my pregnancy. What they did was disgusting, they’re a huge huge company so should know better too. I have never written out the ins and outs for fear of being doxed firstly but mainly cos I thought it would turn into a legal thing (it was really that bad, I ended up in therapy) but when I found out all you get from that is you “win” your job back I was like ew omg not a chance hun u keep it x all I want is a certificate saying I’m right theyre cunts looool but turns out the legal system don’t do em? Mad! They were reluctantly accommodating towards the end because two v senior ppl were advocating for me internally, but I don’t think anything could have fixed what happened really. They did try in fairness but after a months of back and forth I just thought I cannot willingly go back to my oppressor lol. I get all my accrued holiday pay at the end of this month but it feels disgusting to have it from them, like knocks me sick. I pray once the furlough scheme ends there will be a full on parliamentary inquiry into it & think that big companies who used it and have since paid out big shareholder dividends or posted record profits will get dragged in the press, which will bring out whistleblowers on other issues, so I pray for that at the very least. You can’t be sloppy in all ur affairs and not expect a dose of the live tweeted Monroe pruney shits to hit you, uno?

We decided to approach my next job as a family affair - like really slowly, no pressure, but ask lots of the right questions and flexibility etc took precedent over anything else. I’m actually over the moon as it’s a good career move and all the ☮🕊✌good vibe✌☮ stuff that seems to be coming more common place now? Like really parent friendly, remote working, super diverse senior leadership team, a buddy system, 360 feedback (have already been asked for feedback on the recruitment process), etc etc. Husband stage managed my pay negotiations so for the first time in my life I managed that too! It’s lovely being able to have that side of life to look forward to, but yeah the mum guilt is intense :( it’s a process ! Sorry for the personal essay, “potatoes” part two !

@HotesTilaire too scared to quote you after the above essay as I’ll mess it up - tofu pad Thai sounds amaaaazing! Do you find HF can be a bit small sometimes? It’s a real problem for my husband so I’m v tempted to try Gousto now! Are the recipes v different? Some weeks HF have some real stinkers then some it’s a week full of ✨bangers✨
Just want to celebrate this because women don't talk about negotiating salaries as much as they should - far less when mothers. Glad you (and new employer) know your worth!

Reactions: 11
fraus! it’s been a while…basically been eating nothing but tomatoes for a week while they are at their glorious best

Have a question for parents! When did you start letting your kid use tik tok? i finally gave in and got my 11 year old a smart phone for her bday a few weeks ago and have already had to ban tik tok because she has been so jumpy and nervous at night i’m convinced it’s because she’s seeing all sorts of awful stuff on there. Last night she kept coming down the stairs to check we were close by…this went on until 2.30 in the morning! She didn’t even argue me telling her to delete it which makes me think deep down she knows it’s for the best but i do feel mean because all the other kids have it…god this age is hard!
Don't have a kid but the longer you can keep her off social media the better tbh in my opinion, there's so much on there that just warps your sense of body image, especially tiktok and Instagram, which are full of "beautifying filters" and influencers trying to sell bitcoin scams/skincare to kids etc

I'd say wait till she's at least 13 as that's the minimum age on the terms and conditions to make an account, but be careful and make sure she knows she can always come to you if she gets into bother or gets any messages/sees anything that makes her uncomfortable.

If she still wants to look at tiktoks it looks like you can view them at tiktok.com without making an account if that's a good compromise

• Heart
Reactions: 10
77CC829E-B7C9-4DCF-9064-5F7D3A6943E6.jpeg

Thanks lads. I feel much better today. It's a lovely winter day here so I went for a walk and looked at some ducks and trees. My friend sent me this old pic of Pooh and I got a focaccia at the shop for only 90 cents! I know how to count my blessings, unlike turnip head.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I'd like to drop in a recommendation for Alicia Kennedy's food newsletters (substack) - likely to appeal to anyone who is interested in growing food, shopping, cooking and eating, she has a really great archive of interviews. Also
Content warning, complicated mourning
Her current piece about the Anthony Bourdain film is one of the best short pieces I've read about complicated mourning, it really helped me this week. On that topic, it really is a small world, I did not expect to see the trifle defender quoting Jennifer Hecht's Stay on Instagram, in a post which was also timely and constructive

Reactions: 9
Worst phone call of the year made, that's the lambs booked into the sale a week on Monday :(

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
What's Badger doing?
Pottering around with her mother, eating a lot, and growing like a weed :) Accepted a scratch on the bottom briefly yesterday before going, 'Argh, human!' and taking off. She and five other ewe lambs will stay here, I just have to pick six to go off. Probably stick them in size order and sell the smallest.

• Heart
  • Sad
fraus! it’s been a while…basically been eating nothing but tomatoes for a week while they are at their glorious best

Have a question for parents! When did you start letting your kid use tik tok? i finally gave in and got my 11 year old a smart phone for her bday a few weeks ago and have already had to ban tik tok because she has been so jumpy and nervous at night i’m convinced it’s because she’s seeing all sorts of awful stuff on there. Last night she kept coming down the stairs to check we were close by…this went on until 2.30 in the morning! She didn’t even argue me telling her to delete it which makes me think deep down she knows it’s for the best but i do feel mean because all the other kids have it…god this age is hard!
My eldest is not far off 11 and has a smart phone but he has no social media at all. I’ve never used Tik Tok myself but there was an horrible story last month about an innocent video being spliced with a beheading video, so children were watching the dancing vid and then it suddenly cut to a beheading video. That sort of stuff terrifies me. Social media is a cesspit I’m not willing to let him venture into it and luckily he hasn’t asked.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Worst phone call of the year made, that's the lambs booked into the sale a week on Monday :(
Sorry for the stupid question but when you say into the sale is that for them to go off to another farm/field or the other reason?

Reactions: 3
Sorry for the stupid question but when you say into the sale is that for them to go off to another farm/field or the other reason?
They'll be bought by someone further south in the country to be grown on for another couple of months, but ultimately they're bought for the other reason. Someone might buy the ewe lambs for breeding if there's someone looking for a small starter flock. Fingers crossed :) That was my argument for selling Badger, her unusual colour would make it much more likely someone would buy them for breeding, but I lost that one!

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Aw I remember when the lamb’s dad lost his virginity and they were just a twinkle in his eye.
Are the two original ewerhythmics going as well? 😰

• Heart
Reactions: 9
They'll be bought by someone further south in the country to be grown on for another couple of months, but ultimately they're bought for the other reason. Someone might buy the ewe lambs for breeding if there's someone looking for a small starter flock. Fingers crossed :) That was my argument for selling Badger, her unusual colour would make it much more likely someone would buy them for breeding, but I lost that one!
I had to ask didn’t I? I’m aware I’m a hypocrite because I eat meat but it’s the lambies I feel I know them.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Aw I remember when the lamb’s dad lost his virginity and they were just a twinkle in his eye.
Are the two original ewerhythmics going as well? 😰
Nibbles and 406 are not booked into the sale, no. If they go it'll be September, but Nibbles has stayed sound and 406 is being friendlier. If they can stick with the rest out on the hill rather than wandering off on their own, they can stay :)

• Heart
Delighted to hear that, be kind to yourself (not that you need my permission). xx

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Delighted to hear that, be kind to yourself (not that you need my permission). xx
I had a big chat with my favourite friend, she recently adopted a Maine Coon! She's never had a cat of her own so she's worried she's doing the wrong thing. This is her little girl.
50818444-F328-4E45-AC65-01270E3B30FC.jpeg

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.