Food and Drink #17

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do we think that lamb mince is ok to eat after it’s use by date? I did our weekly shop on Friday and normally I’m so stringent on checking dates because I’m finding things aren’t lasting very long (mostly veg) lately but (and it’s probably baby brain) I neglected to check the date on some lamb mince and it’s use by was the same day I purchased it. I’ve only discovered this now. It smells fine. Can I freeze it?

don’t even get me started about the fact it wasn’t yellow stickered. Fraud I tell you FRAUD.
I personally wouldn't freeze it raw. If it smell fine it may be worth browning it in a pan with some seasonings until just cooked and separated. If you are still happy it smells ok you can freeze it like that, once cooled for adding to a dish another time.

Reactions: 16
I
I’d bin it personally but then I’m pretty strict about following dates. Especially with meat. I think use by Friday is a bit too much of a gamble even if you freeze it now.
I am pretty relaxed about used by dates (i.e. I never look at them) you should be able to smell if the raw meat is off tbh, but of course if in doubt don't eat it. Random tip, but if you have a cat (not sure about dogs) I have always found them a good gauge of meat/fish, if it is off they won't eat it in my experience

I

I am pretty relaxed about used by dates (i.e. I never look at them) you should be able to smell if the raw meat is off tbh, but of course if in doubt don't eat it. Random tip, but if you have a cat (not sure about dogs) I have always found them a good gauge of meat/fish, if it is off they won't eat it in my experience
My cat doesn’t eat anything other than cat food. She’s never been tempted by any meat or fish I’ve offered (maybe that says something about my cooking) 😬

• Haha
Reactions: 20
My cat doesn’t eat anything other than cat food. She’s never been tempted by any meat or fish I’ve offered (maybe that says something about my cooking) 😬
my cat is a pig and eats most things (i.e. if i make a vegetable pasta with olive oil... so I trust her judgement) cheaper for you I guess, I cannot turn my back on ANY plate of food if I want it to be mine :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I’d go by the sniff test personally so would eat/freeze it today if it smelt fine. The only things I stick to use by dates on is chicken, fish and milk! Milk only because I’ve inadvertently made a few lumpy cups of tea for people at work when I haven’t noticed the milks gone off 🤢 so I’m paranoid about it now!

Mmmm they look like they would melt in the mouth!
They do have an excellent mouthfeel

• Haha
  • Heart
Love marmite ,biscoff is bit too sweet for me but just saw the abomination that is a hot cross bun spread with marmite and biscoff 😲

• Haha
  • Wow
Do we think that lamb mince is ok to eat after it’s use by date? I did our weekly shop on Friday and normally I’m so stringent on checking dates because I’m finding things aren’t lasting very long (mostly veg) lately but (and it’s probably baby brain) I neglected to check the date on some lamb mince and it’s use by was the same day I purchased it. I’ve only discovered this now. It smells fine. Can I freeze it?

don’t even get me started about the fact it wasn’t yellow stickered. Fraud I tell you FRAUD.
I think being lamb, if it seemed fine look/smell wise I'd still use it. But I would probably cook first then freeze, else it's going to hang around for longer again at some point while defrosting.

I'm supposed to be on a diet at the mo and have eaten a ridiculous amount of homemade truffles today 😑. I've never actually made them before, but as part of homeschool we had chosen the topic of chocolate, so we've been learning about cocoa farming and Fairtrade, all the way up to producing chocolate for sale. So truffle making was the final activity. Fraus, I should have made a smaller batch 😑.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
feels like a massive mood swing after my MT post just now 😬 but I've been meaning to post this here all day

don't know the origin but saw this on Twitter
earlier and I could not stop laughing

20210301_213832.jpg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 26
I used to be very rigid about adhering to use-by dates as I was petrified about getting food poisoning and even then I had a bad experience with yellow sticker lamb mince as a student. Now I'm pretty lax about it, I just use what little common sense I've been blessed with to make the judgement call. If the date was Friday I personally wouldn't risk it.

A hot cross bun with Biscoff I could get down with but the Marmite aspect sounds appalling and we're big Marmite fans in this household (i.e. my cat and me).

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I think being lamb, if it seemed fine look/smell wise I'd still use it. But I would probably cook first then freeze, else it's going to hang around for longer again at some point while defrosting.

I'm supposed to be on a diet at the mo and have eaten a ridiculous amount of homemade truffles today 😑. I've never actually made them before, but as part of homeschool we had chosen the topic of chocolate, so we've been learning about cocoa farming and Fairtrade, all the way up to producing chocolate for sale. So truffle making was the final activity. Fraus, I should have made a smaller batch 😑.
wow school has changed since I was there! I never remember doing anything this fun!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Just gonna get this off my chest (and make a swift exit!)...I’m not that fussed by Biscoff/don’t get the hype? Don’t know if it’s too sweet or I’ve not had it the right way?

Dinner tonight is spag bol from some basic mince (this is just what my mum and I call browned off mince cooked with onions/lentils/celery with stock that you then use as a base for mince dishes) which is in the slow cooker.

Does anyone watch The Great Pottery Throwdown? I love it and would love to have a go at pottery - the last time I did any was in primary school (we randomly had a kiln). Also the way Keith so openly cries is lovely but then easily sets me off (f’ing hormones!).

My mini daffs from last year have re-flowered in my planter - a lovely surprise when we went for a walk at the weekend, especially as I have seriously neglected the garden/my plants since BabyBeds arrived.

54B1891E-D349-46CC-91F1-B4EC99F7D9E9.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Hello from the only other thread I’m on, the Jack Monroe one.
I LOVE the Biscoff spread with porridge and banana. I’ve not plucked up the nerve to bake with it yet.
I’ve just made some Coconut Rock Buns, the recipe is from my Mum and older than me! They don’t last long.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Hello from the only other thread I’m on, the Jack Monroe one.
I LOVE the Biscoff spread with porridge and banana. I’ve not plucked up the nerve to bake with it yet.
I’ve just made some Coconut Rock Buns, the recipe is from my Mum and older than me! They don’t last long.
They look gorgeous. How's baby tights?

I love olives @kachoochoo and Aldi do the best green olives (and I like their Pinot too). I think I'd eat a million!

Just checking in on @traumatised sideboard as you've had a tough few weeks. Not sure if I have missed it but have all of the arrangements for the funeral taken place? Hope you are coping ok 💐

I am cooking Caponata style aubergines from The Green Roasting Tin tonight. Love this cookbook already.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
@Universal Babytights is well thank you! Has her immunisations later this week. She just sleeps, feeds and does the most extraordinary thundering in her nappies!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Lads, I've been maverick AF but it turned out spectacularly!

I found this recipe for a Sicilian inspired pound cake, but the cinnamon/allspice flavour didn't appeal to me, so I made a blueberry and lavender version with toasted sage and black pepper.

It was sublime, made me very popular indeed!

(mini cake for hipster photography purposes)

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 30
It's funny you should mention The Great Pottery Throwdown, I was at a loose end and decided to start watching this latest series last night. Pottery is not my thing at all but I really like how much Keith is invested in it 😭 I have a tiny crush on Shenyue as well, she's beautiful.

Thank you for thinking of me @Universal 🖤 The funeral is 17th March which seems like an extraordinarily long time away. It's kicked my mood cycles into overdrive so I'm bouncing between being exhausted and agitated and restless which in itself is exhausting but I'm sure it'll even out eventually. A few days before I got COVID I'd finally completed my home gym set-up so I've been able to train properly which is really helping. I'm back to being able to bench press the Queen if she would be so obliging as to do a radical juice cleanse for a week.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 24
Guys if anyone remembers Bezolabub / Mulholland Drive, she of the South African swimming pool, and who could not spell Eton Mess - you must read this thread. It all becomes clear a few pages in 😂
It’s things like this that make me scared of the internet! I always felt like her comments landed a little flat but assumed she was trying too hard to be funny

• Haha
Reactions: 13
@traumatised sideboard in my experience the time between the death and the funeral is always the most difficult. You feel like you cant move forward with your feelings, not move on as such but begin to accept your grief. Glad the training is helping. Grief is utterly exhausting both mentally and physically so make sure you listen to what your body needs. I am sure the Queen would oblige on the bench pressing front.

I ordered loads of lovely food from Ocado so my fridge is full.... then I realised that I forgot to skip my Hello Fresh delivery so I have six more meals arriving today! At least I'll be eating well this week.

I lost my early start to that same sex flirting thread - I did NOT see that twist coming. I must admit I was hopeful for some insight when I read the title as there is a woman in work who the blokes in work say I flirt with :) I love her dress style, her hair, how she manages meetings etc and always engineer to spend time with her.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Guys if anyone remembers Bezolabub / Mulholland Drive, she of the South African swimming pool, and who could not spell Eton Mess - you must read this thread. It all becomes clear a few pages in 😂
That thread is a thing of genius 😂
I got a call from a friend last night and we went out into the campo and rescued this tiny boy. He's been to the vet this morning and apparently he's 5-6 weeks old. He's had a tick and flea treatment and probably feeling a bit better now. The only thing that I hate about living here is some of the local people's attitude to animals 😥

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.