Food and Drink #16 Liedown larder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m relieved to hear someone normal say this cos the stuff I’ve heard about SW is.... bizarre? Like I know we laugh at slop but when a mate goes on it and starts documenting every meal and they ALL look bleak and colourless it’s quite something? And then them interrogating waitresses to make sure the salad has NO OIL, like they’re not deep frying it love a bit of olive oil isn’t gonna kill u stop giving the poor girl grief!

The worst was having my now estranged thankfully narc foster sister come over and tell me how she’d had to tell the group that she was coming as I had “such good food :)))” and she knew she “wouldn’t be able to stop eating” it was all super passive aggressive and I just thought just say you think I’m fat and I’ll drag you down babe I rly don’t mind? 😂 I’m not even big, I carry all my weight on my tummy tho and don’t mind about it cos that’s just how bodies are init/have had 2 major surgeries there so what’s a girl to do ey! Always wondered if the groups force you to say this or if she was just extraordinarily bitchy?
I think SW has some shady business practices too. An old acquaintance of mine that I still have on Facebook became a SW employee, she like runs the local one and gets paid for it? (and constantly invites me to join, I assume she spams everyone and not me specifically) to be honest I thought they'd started running it like one of those Avon/Scentsy/Herbalife businesses as she turned into a total "boss babe" and we all actively avoided seeing her because all she would talk about would be SW.

Imagine my surprise when one of my friends was like "have you seen {person} in the paper?" And she's in the local rag talking about how SW have helped her sooooo much and she never used to leave the house because of her weight and how it impacted her daughters cause she couldn't do anything with them etc etc - it's all bullshit!!! she used to be out all the time! Honestly I started actively trying to avoid hanging out with her because if she heard you were meeting up in town she'd be like "oh I'll come I'll bring (her daughter's)" then monopolise the conversation to talk entirely about SW and "the SW girls."

Not a single mention in the paper either that she's actually employed by SW. That put me off SW (and that person) for life. It seems to completely take over people's lives which definitely isn't a healthy approach to food or diet.

Wasn't there something about how their 'sins' make no sense for a lot of foods too, I remember reading something really silly like 4 cans of strongbow dark fruits is technically better than an avocado under their system. Might not be true though.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
SW is bollocks. All those diet groups are. So harmful and you end up brainwashed.

On a lighter note, my Dad is getting his covid vaccine this week ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 25
SW is bollocks. All those diet groups are. So harmful and you end up brainwashed.

On a lighter note, my Dad is getting his covid vaccine this week ❤
Great news! My mum is getting hers next week. She’s been shielding most of this past year as she has an autoimmune disease, so I feels like things are beginning to take a positive direction now that our loved ones are being vaccinated.

In food related news, my oven died tonight while cooking dinner so it’ll be takeaways and hob-only food until our shiny new one arrives in a couple of days. I’ve yet to have an appliance last more than 5 years 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
My dad had his first Covid jab on Friday. Apparently my mum is watching him like a hawk for any potential side effects. As he's 10 years older than her, he's like her lab rat while she waits for her jab appt to come through.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Oh dear @Bumbear Down Dog was the one I tried! They have five or six options for voices and they're all awful. I ended up doing some exercise this morning even though I asked Dr. Google how long you should wait after COVID to return to regular exercise and the answer was ten days after symptoms have gone. It hasn't even been ten days since I got symptoms, I just couldn't take it anymore, I've been getting such bad cramps in my hips and hamstrings from sitting down all the time.

Also my cat is being a passive-aggressive ratbag. I never normally sit on the sofa and neither does she but after I laid on it last week, every day since she's been sleeping slap-bang in the middle of the sofa so I can't lay on it without having to move her which she knows I won't do. I don't want to turn this into a photo journal of my boring cat but look at this face, she knows what she's doing.

absolute gremlin.jpg

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 32
My Nanny-in-law (is that even a thing?!) gets her Covid jab at the end of the week. Really hoping it will mean at the end of this lockdown we can introduce baby Beds properly. Also desperate for him to meet my Nanna, she has vascular dementia and has met him virtually (the home she is in are great with facilitating FaceTime or WhatsApp calls) but gets so upset as she just wants to cuddle him and doesn’t really understand or retain why we can’t see her in person. bleeping Covid.

We have friends (husband and wife) who embarked on the Cambridge Plan (or it maybe another variant of this diet by another name) and both lost a decent amount of weight. But the wife is obsessed- she got into a spat online with a friend who pointed out it isn’t a long term way to eat etc and she got really crappy in response and then said it had helped her work out she allergic to sugar (but only counts white/brown sugar as sugar not sugar in fruit etc) and other things - it kind of read a bit like a JM list of ailments 😬. We were facing timing at the weekend for our toddlers to ‘play’ together and she was complaining her weight loss had stalled but as others have said has no knowledge of nutrition etc so has ended up with a really disordered view of it all. It also feels like a MLM from what she has said which always sends alarm bells ringing. Bit like these influencers/zlist celebs pushing Herbalife et al

On topic, has anyone used the Crackd egg replacement? I got some at the weekend but a bit scared to use it. Want to make some Yorkshire puds and it says on the packet you can use it as a straight replacement in a recipe but to adjust cooking time but a bit scared. I say scared because I tried using a powered egg replacer last week for Yorkshire’s and it made JM’s slop look vaguely attractive!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Thank you @Falkor for the sheep! I hope you find Nibbles and Loppy (and that wayward 406) soon.
It’s so funny to think you’re there organising vitamin brick things and a boyfriend and all this, and they’re just like “I hate this, what do you want now? I wanna go up a hill” 🤣 like ungrateful children

@traumatised sideboard would definitely recommend regular stand up/walk around and maybe tai chi. Would be wary of yoga/Pilates at this early stage.

• Haha
Also my cat is being a passive-aggressive ratbag. I never normally sit on the sofa and neither does she but after I laid on it last week, every day since she's been sleeping slap-bang in the middle of the sofa so I can't lay on it without having to move her which she knows I won't do. I don't want to turn this into a photo journal of my boring cat but look at this face, she knows what she's doing.

I love her 😭

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I hope this is ok to post here! The dessert I had a few days ago has been bugging me and I thought you’d lovely lot might be able to help out.
Basically it’s a homemade Bakewell tart. But I’m not sure why the base of the pastry is shiny the further it is from the crust? I believe the pastry is shop bought (my mum made it) but is it because it hasn’t cooked through or something?
I’ll attach a picture. It’s on a napkin because for some reason it wouldn’t focus on the plate.
84FABD6B-FC83-43E5-8B7D-D78B497167C4.jpeg

Reactions: 10
On topic, has anyone used the Crackd egg replacement? I got some at the weekend but a bit scared to use it. Want to make some Yorkshire puds and it says on the packet you can use it as a straight replacement in a recipe but to adjust cooking time but a bit scared. I say scared because I tried using a powered egg replacer last week for Yorkshire’s and it made JM’s slop look vaguely attractive!
[/QUOTE]

No, not risking an M and S trip yet, although I may try and order.

If you go over to the advice section there is a Vegan thread and someone has used it there. Apparently you have to bake it for omelettes (but not for pancakes?).

Reactions: 3
I haven't got any new sheep pics I'm afraid, might be some tomorrow as I'm going to have another go at finding them if the weather stays calm.

These are from October when they came in to be dipped (fun fact: dipping sheep for lice and scab used to be mandatory and you had to arrange for a police officer to come and supervise to make sure it had been done) and then I kept them in for a few days so I could give them a mineral bolus (bolus = large pellet thingy nearly 2 inches long and about an inch wide that sits in their stomach and slowly dissolves over about 8 months) and re-do my paint mark on their backs.

So here they are in the race (narrow pen that forces them into single file) and the one at the front is definitely going 'You are NOT coming near me with that bolus applicator'. (It's not brilliant fun for them, bless them, they have a big metal tube put in their mouth that releases the bolus far enough into their throat that they automatically swallow it - I don't do it every year, but thought it would be a good idea with them going into lamb to have the extra mineral support).

View attachment 389990

All dosed up with their marks re-done.

View attachment 389996

It was one of the days where Mr F couldn't avoid going into his office, so I'd been working on my own - he got home just in time to help with the fun bit, taking them back out to the hill. (Apologies for the slightly mucky bottom at the back, when they come off the hill onto the richer fields in the village they can get runny bums for a couple of days as they adjust to the higher sugar content in the grass!)

View attachment 390006
The middle photo looks like the ones of the children when they start a new term and mums post pics of them by the front door!

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I hope this is ok to post here! The dessert I had a few days ago has been bugging me and I thought you’d lovely lot might be able to help out.
Basically it’s a homemade Bakewell tart. But I’m not sure why the base of the pastry is shiny the further it is from the crust? I believe the pastry is shop bought (my mum made it) but is it because it hasn’t cooked through or something?
I’ll attach a picture. It’s on a napkin because for some reason it wouldn’t focus on the plate.
View attachment 391217
Hey, welcome.
Yep, you guessed correctly - the pastry looks shiny cos it’s not baked all the way through. Looks like it needed a few more mins in the oven. Did you blind bake it first? That sometimes helps for tarts.
@Flumps will be able to give a second opinion!

• Heart
View attachment 391217
You are bang on. It's not quite cooked through. Like our lovely princess I wonder if it was blind baked first. If not, can be tough to cook pastry in the same time as the filling takes. Also, if you don't blind bake the liquid from any filling can seep into the bottom too, which changes the consistency of the pastry (soggy bottom innit).

It's a bit more faff but I always blind bake pastry cases and often for 5 minutes longer than recipes suggest. I think a lot are developed and tested in really powerful efficient ovens and don't recommend blind baking times that are long enough for less efficient domestic ovens. I'm a bit obsessed with making sure my pastry is cooked through though. The other thing that's worth doing is putting the heaviest oven tray you have into the oven when you put it on, to get it really hot, and put the pie tin on top of that when you blind bake and when you cook the filling. That will help cook the bottom of the pastry all the way through. When rolling out pastry I try to go as thin as I can without making it so filling is going to leak out. Thinner pastry will cook a little quicker. Finally, if blind baking makes the edges of the case look like they might catch when you put it back in to cook the filling, you can cover them with thin bits of foil like a foil crown all the way round your case. I generally don't find this is a problem though.

If you are very picky, like I can be, you can also blind bake, then egg wash the whole case (brush over beaten egg with a pastry brush) and then pop back in the oven for 3-5 mins until the egg wash coating goes shiny. I tend to do this if filling is particularly liquid. The egg wash helps stop leaks and soggy pastry and the edges catching, and obvs gives the pastry a few more mins the oven.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
You are bang on. It's not quite cooked through. Like our lovely princess I wonder if it was blind baked first. If not, can be tough to cook pastry in the same time as the filling takes. Also, if you don't blind bake the liquid from any filling can seep into the bottom too, which changes the consistency of the pastry (soggy bottom innit).
prue leith was on QI the other night, she shared the secret of how to avoid a soggy bottom! Semolina!

• Haha

It's a bit more faff but I always blind bake pastry cases and often for 5 minutes longer than recipes suggest. I think a lot are developed and tested in really powerful efficient ovens and don't recommend blind baking times that are long enough for less efficient domestic ovens. I'm a bit obsessed with making sure my pastry is cooked through though. The other thing that's worth doing is putting the heaviest oven tray you have into the oven when you put it on, to get it really hot, and put the pie tin on top of that when you blind bake and when you cook the filling. That will help cook the bottom of the pastry all the way through. When rolling out pastry I try to go as thin as I can without making it so filling is going to leak out. Thinner pastry will cook a little quicker. Finally, if blind baking makes the edges of the case look like they might catch when you put it back in to cook the filling, you can cover them with thin bits of foil like a foil crown all the way round your case. I generally don't find this is a problem though.

If you are very picky, like I can be, you can also blind bake, then egg wash the whole case (brush over beaten egg with a pastry brush) and then pop back in the oven for 3-5 mins until the egg wash coating goes shiny. I tend to do this if filling is particularly liquid. The egg wash helps stop leaks and soggy pastry and the edges catching, and obvs gives the pastry a few more mins the oven.
Thank you so much for all the information! It wasn’t blind baked! It did feel underbaked but couldn’t quite put my finger on it. Again, thank you so much! ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.