Food and Drink #16 Liedown larder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
yeh totally agree, I started WW when I was around 16 and it basically led to me becoming bulimic, being weighed publicly is hardly conducive to overcoming an ED
God, I've just had a flashback to secondary school physics class. For some reason we were all made to weigh ourselves in front of everyone - obviously a class full of 14 year olds were very sensitive and grown-up about it. :rolleyes:

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
God, I've just had a flashback to secondary school physics class. For some reason we were all made to weigh ourselves in front of everyone - obviously a class full of 14 year olds were very sensitive and grown-up about it. :rolleyes:
We did that! I had forgotten it completely, but it was about mass divided by the area of our feet or something? Utterly mad idea that worked as well as you'd expect.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
We did that! I had forgotten it completely, but it was about mass divided by the area of our feet or something? Utterly mad idea that worked as well as you'd expect.
Oh my god, that's it! I'd completely forgotten the context, but yes!

Reactions: 7
I remember this happening in first or second year of high school, I was 12, and actually pretended to be ill to miss school that day. Was already struggling with an ED and was terrified of the thought of it. I’d been so anxious the week leading up to it, it wasn’t hard to fake being unwell that day.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Thirding the request for sheep :).

I have some very disordered thinking around my weight so don't want to get into any chat about that! I no longer go near the scales and just take measurements...I find it a lot less stressful.

Anyway...the husband's date night nachos were awesome. It's my turn this week and I'm making garlic butter prawns on jasmine rice with peas...

Yoga chat...I'm currently working my way through the beginners sessions on here. This morning it is Brett Larkin. I know what you mean about the 'whispering yoga voice' - I'm not sure it's going to work for me long-term either.

However...

My friend in Oz finally got back to me this morning and he has recommended the Down Dog yoga app. It's currently discounted to £12 for the whole year if you buy it this month (so I have as I figure that's less than the cost of me trying out a class - should there ever be one F2F in the UK again)!

It has the benefit of you being able to select from a lot of options so you never have to have the same session twice, if you don't want to. Anyway I will test it out shortly and report back.

I'm not really enjoying the MT at the moment with all the JM 'protegee' shizz ongoing. I have no interest in it whatsoever - maybe this is a sign I need to take a break!

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Woah. WW won’t let you sign up if you have an ED. Probably the same with SW but I can’t remember. I’ve done both and they’re both harmful IMO.
I’m relieved to hear someone normal say this cos the stuff I’ve heard about SW is.... bizarre? Like I know we laugh at slop but when a mate goes on it and starts documenting every meal and they ALL look bleak and colourless it’s quite something? And then them interrogating waitresses to make sure the salad has NO OIL, like they’re not deep frying it love a bit of olive oil isn’t gonna kill u stop giving the poor girl grief!

The worst was having my now estranged thankfully narc foster sister come over and tell me how she’d had to tell the group that she was coming as I had “such good food :)))” and she knew she “wouldn’t be able to stop eating” it was all super passive aggressive and I just thought just say you think I’m fat and I’ll drag you down babe I rly don’t mind? 😂 I’m not even big, I carry all my weight on my tummy tho and don’t mind about it cos that’s just how bodies are init/have had 2 major surgeries there so what’s a girl to do ey! Always wondered if the groups force you to say this or if she was just extraordinarily bitchy?

• Heart
Yoga chat...I'm currently working my way through the beginners sessions on here. This morning it is Brett Larkin. I know what you mean about the 'whispering yoga voice' - I'm not sure it's going to work for me long-term either.

However...

My friend in Oz finally got back to me this morning and he has recommended the Down Dog yoga app. It's currently discounted to £12 for the whole year if you buy it this month (so I have as I figure that's less than the cost of me trying out a class - should there ever be one F2F in the UK again)!

It has the benefit of you being able to select from a lot of options so you never have to have the same session twice, if you don't want to. Anyway I will test it out shortly and report back.
A friend of mine uses Down Dog and is really enthusiastic about it! I hope you enjoy it

BTW I just remembered someone upthread asked about different types of yoga. So:

Hatha - generally the most common type practised in the west. You move fairly slowly and hold each pose for a few breaths

Vinyasa - faster moving, one breath = one pose, so you'll get your heart rate up more. A lot of teachers alternate between hatha and vinyasa

Yin - very slow, deep stretches. A style of restorative yoga

Ashtanga - a demanding practice where you move, vinyasa-style, through a series of poses. The sequence doesn't change (look up Ashtanga primary series if you're curious) and it's tough!

You'll also often see people using terms like HIIT yoga, cardio yoga, power yoga etc, which are quite self-explanatory.

I’m relieved to hear someone normal say this cos the stuff I’ve heard about SW is.... bizarre? Like I know we laugh at slop but when a mate goes on it and starts documenting every meal and they ALL look bleak and colourless it’s quite something? And then them interrogating waitresses to make sure the salad has NO OIL, like they’re not deep frying it love a bit of olive oil isn’t gonna kill u stop giving the poor girl grief!

The worst was having my now estranged thankfully narc foster sister come over and tell me how she’d had to tell the group that she was coming as I had “such good food :)))” and she knew she “wouldn’t be able to stop eating” it was all super passive aggressive and I just thought just say you think I’m fat and I’ll drag you down babe I rly don’t mind? 😂 I’m not even big, I carry all my weight on my tummy tho and don’t mind about it cos that’s just how bodies are init/have had 2 major surgeries there so what’s a girl to do ey! Always wondered if the groups force you to say this or if she was just extraordinarily bitchy?
I desperately wish that knowledge about nutrition was more widespread. Educating myself about the actual science was key for me. I think some people thrive in groups like SW or WW, but a lot don't, and develop these very weird, all or nothing views.

• Heart
Reactions: 13

I’ve had a couple of friends go really OTT over SW. They’ve kept the weight off years later which is great for them, but one of them went really full on about it. She got really upset after having cake on her own birthday and I just thought to myself, this isn’t healthy. Yeah you’re losing the weight but you’re not learning to have a good relationship with food. The other friend was like you mentioned... making sure there was no butter on the jacket potato when we ate out, would only order plain chicken with jacket potato and veg. Everything cooked in Frylight at home :sick: I’d rather have a bit of oil and butter and enjoy my food... I say this but I have no portion control at all and snack like there’s no tomorrow. All my weight goes to my stomach too. Typical apple shape and I find it hard to shift weight from that area no matter what size I am, so I just think, “duck it” and eat what I like :LOL:

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
Thank you @colouredlines - that was me. Super useful...

I quite enjoyed Brett Larkin this morning - I found it quite difficult so may just stick with that for the rest of the week to practise the poses.

I used to be a WW afficionado and I suspect I was completely nutritionally deficient during that time - I was always starving. Nowadays I eat around 1600 cals per day and I use macros on MFP (fibre and protein targets only). I eat whatever I want (quite high fat - lots of butter and olive oil) and feel much the better for it.

I haven't moved sufficiently the last two weeks so my measurements are showing only a v marginal loss (xmas bloat lost), upping the yoga and the running this week and will hope for better next Monday.

I'm only smol (5'2) but I am also an apple and carry all my weight round my waist. Aiming to get another 5 inches off it to be back where I should be.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I’ve had a couple of friends go really OTT over SW. They’ve kept the weight off years later which is great for them, but one of them went really full on about it. She got really upset after having cake on her own birthday and I just thought to myself, this isn’t healthy. Yeah you’re losing the weight but you’re not learning to have a good relationship with food. The other friend was like you mentioned... making sure there was no butter on the jacket potato when we ate out, would only order plain chicken with jacket potato and veg. Everything cooked in Frylight at home :sick: I’d rather have a bit of oil and butter and enjoy my food... I say this but I have no portion control at all and snack like there’s no tomorrow. All my weight goes to my stomach too. Typical apple shape and I find it hard to shift weight from that area no matter what size I am, so I just think, “duck it” and eat what I like :LOL:
In my 20s I watched two of my intelligent and lovely friends change their entire relationship with food due to either WW or SW (the one with the syns). Every conversation was about (lack of) food and eating weird combinations of things or if we went out for a meal the level of detail of how items were cooked or needing to have sauces and dressings on the side. One ate nothing for Muller Light for a week at one point, she would buy trays of them. One is ok now but the other has a really unhealthy relationship still and controls what her children eat to the point I can see already the anxiety in one of them at mealtimes

Send sheep!

To keep it on topic I am really enjoying all of the winter fruit at the moment.

• Sad
  • Heart
Agree with some of the comments re SW/WW. I have dabbled with both in the past, SW mainly (frylight and extra light laughing cows anyone? 🤢), though I never attended a group 😬.

One of the big issues with these diets is that they never actually teach someone about nutrition and what is actually good for their bodies. Doesn't even teach them the calorie content of foods. It's all - you can eat one thing from this box, or this food is worth X points. In fact SW actually ends up promoting poor nutritional choices in many ways, where nutritious foods have high 'syn' values and are demonised, and crappy foods that will do little for your body other than act as a filler for a short time, are encouraged.

Unless you are going to constantly remain on these diets (not good considering the nutrition aspect), weight loss is usually not sustainable. As soon as someone comes off the diet, they still don't have that knowledge about food/calories/nutrition and what foods to moderate, and bam - weight goes back on. So back they go to the group again. And repeat. I really don't like them at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Woah. WW won’t let you sign up if you have an ED. Probably the same with SW but I can’t remember. I’ve done both and they’re both harmful IMO.
They would only know if the person told them they had an eating disorder.
The people who run the sessions are not qualified in nutritional, they are looking to make money.
I have tried SW and WW.

• Heart
They would only know if the person told them they had an eating disorder.
The people who run the sessions are not qualified in nutritional, they are looking to make money.
I have tried SW and WW.
My thoughts exactly. It can take years to finally admit to yourself, let alone others. that the struggles that you have around food actually have a name.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I haven't got any new sheep pics I'm afraid, might be some tomorrow as I'm going to have another go at finding them if the weather stays calm.

These are from October when they came in to be dipped (fun fact: dipping sheep for lice and scab used to be mandatory and you had to arrange for a police officer to come and supervise to make sure it had been done) and then I kept them in for a few days so I could give them a mineral bolus (bolus = large pellet thingy nearly 2 inches long and about an inch wide that sits in their stomach and slowly dissolves over about 8 months) and re-do my paint mark on their backs.

So here they are in the race (narrow pen that forces them into single file) and the one at the front is definitely going 'You are NOT coming near me with that bolus applicator'. (It's not brilliant fun for them, bless them, they have a big metal tube put in their mouth that releases the bolus far enough into their throat that they automatically swallow it - I don't do it every year, but thought it would be a good idea with them going into lamb to have the extra mineral support).

20201006_154954.jpg

All dosed up with their marks re-done.

20201006_163307.jpg

It was one of the days where Mr F couldn't avoid going into his office, so I'd been working on my own - he got home just in time to help with the fun bit, taking them back out to the hill. (Apologies for the slightly mucky bottom at the back, when they come off the hill onto the richer fields in the village they can get runny bums for a couple of days as they adjust to the higher sugar content in the grass!)

20201006_163618.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I haven't got any new sheep pics I'm afraid, might be some tomorrow as I'm going to have another go at finding them if the weather stays calm.

These are from October when they came in to be dipped (fun fact: dipping sheep for lice and scab used to be mandatory and you had to arrange for a police officer to come and supervise to make sure it had been done) and then I kept them in for a few days so I could give them a mineral bolus (bolus = large pellet thingy nearly 2 inches long and about an inch wide that sits in their stomach and slowly dissolves over about 8 months) and re-do my paint mark on their backs.

So here they are in the race (narrow pen that forces them into single file) and the one at the front is definitely going 'You are NOT coming near me with that bolus applicator'. (It's not brilliant fun for them, bless them, they have a big metal tube put in their mouth that releases the bolus far enough into their throat that they automatically swallow it - I don't do it every year, but thought it would be a good idea with them going into lamb to have the extra mineral support).

View attachment 389990

All dosed up with their marks re-done.

View attachment 389996

It was one of the days where Mr F couldn't avoid going into his office, so I'd been working on my own - he got home just in time to help with the fun bit, taking them back out to the hill. (Apologies for the slightly mucky bottom at the back, when they come off the hill onto the richer fields in the village they can get runny bums for a couple of days as they adjust to the higher sugar content in the grass!)

View attachment 390006
Just what Dr Rupy ordered. ❤❤❤

Reactions: 9
I've just mini-grunkaed myself up to date with you all. I feel like I've hearted a lot of messages and just wanted to say that where I have I'm sending love rather than loving the various situations described IYSWIM. This is really tough isn't it?

Sorry, I'm going to whinge now. I've spent a few days in my social bubble with my partner and we've been doing last stuff to get his house on the market and we've worked all weekend to get everything done and I'm exhausted and sore and in so much pain from my knees that I keep bursting into tears from tiredness and pain. Then I was snappy with him this morning before I left because he stayed up nearly all night to finish everything off (we are poor at deadlines) and I felt I couldn't say I was feeling bad because I went to bed at midnight and had 6 hours sleep (ish, I kept waking up from the pain) but he'd had it much worse than me, so how could I complain, but that just made me a bit of a harridan and now I'm worried he will think 'Who wants to go to all this effort to ready and sell a house to live with someone that miserable?'. Plus he was all grumpy at things (not me) last night because he was tired too, and it made me go all weird because him being angry at everything around me set off my bad thoughts about the past, and makes me a ball of anxiety, which isn't fair because he should be able to feel his feelings without having to worry about me collapsing. And I can't keep going like he can, I physically can't. I know he knows that, but it makes me feel so guilty. Sigh.

The weight thing is so hard isn't it? I have a lot of trouble with the fat acceptance community because *reasons*, but one thing I think they are spot on about is how all weight loss is seen as a good thing and how damaged that thinking is. I'm even hesitant to write what I'm about to write as I fear it's triggering. I've always struggled with my weight (in that I've yo-yoed between being *very* heavy and a normal-ish weight since I was a teenager and my mum put me on a diet). To be fair, I asked her to, and that's not the only reason I've struggled - I used to use food as a comfort and weight as a shield from being *visible* in an attractive way.

Anyway, I've banged on tediously before about my C-PTSD and my eventual breakdown. During my breakdown and recovery, I couldn't eat. I mean, I couldn't bring myself to put food in my mouth, chew it and swallow it, for days at a time. I was at my heaviest when I had my breakdown (over 20 stone). During the time I was off work I lost over a 1/3 of my body weight. Sorry for numbers, I've tried to leave them a bit vague, but I'm using them to illustrate the gravity. When I went back to work people congratulated me on my weight loss, even though the vast majority knew I'd been off sick for 6 months. What kind of world is it where the trauma I had gone through was writ large on my body, and that was a reason to congratulate me? Plus, if it had gone the other way and I'd dealt with my trauma by eating instead of not eating, then that would have been seen as awful instead of 'Well done you'. And, I can't even be cross with those people, because even I, even now, I know I look back at that period and there is a little bit of 'Well, it was bleeping awful and I came close to something very final, but heck, I can buy jeans from normal shops now.' I know how damaged that thinking is, yet I can't not think it a little bit.

It's also interesting that this switch from comfort eating to not eating has stuck and I still find it incredibly hard to eat when I'm stressed or anxious and it's really dangerous, because it starts a spiral that I find really hard to see. My partner has to make me eat, because it makes everything so much worse to not eat, but it's incredibly hard.

Right. After all that gloom. I promised @crystaleyesd some Soviet era bric-a-brac. It's all space/sci fi related I think because lots is in storage and these are the few bits left out, but as promised, an mini-avalanche of them attached. x

ETA: Sorry, massive pics, put them under a spoiler now for those who want to scroll on by.

pogot1.jpg
pogot2.jpg
pogot3.jpg
pogot4.jpg
spacerace.jpg
yuris.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Oh my god, that's it! I'd completely forgotten the context, but yes!
we didn't have to do this , but I did textiles for a term (I was at an all girls school at the time), and for a project had to make a skirt and we had to be measured in front of the whole class, which was totally unnecessary we could easily have done so in pairs or something. There was not a single person who wasn't mortified about it

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
I've just mini-grunkaed myself up to date with you all. I feel like I've hearted a lot of messages and just wanted to say that where I have I'm sending love rather than loving the various situations described IYSWIM. This is really tough isn't it?

Sorry, I'm going to whinge now. I've spent a few days in my social bubble with my partner and we've been doing last stuff to get his house on the market and we've worked all weekend to get everything done and I'm exhausted and sore and in so much pain from my knees that I keep bursting into tears from tiredness and pain. Then I was snappy with him this morning before I left because he stayed up nearly all night to finish everything off (we are poor at deadlines) and I felt I couldn't say I was feeling bad because I went to bed at midnight and had 6 hours sleep (ish, I kept waking up from the pain) but he'd had it much worse than me, so how could I complain, but that just made me a bit of a harridan and now I'm worried he will think 'Who wants to go to all this effort to ready and sell a house to live with someone that miserable?'. Plus he was all grumpy at things (not me) last night because he was tired too, and it made me go all weird because him being angry at everything around me set off my bad thoughts about the past, and makes me a ball of anxiety, which isn't fair because he should be able to feel his feelings without having to worry about me collapsing. And I can't keep going like he can, I physically can't. I know he knows that, but it makes me feel so guilty. Sigh.

The weight thing is so hard isn't it? I have a lot of trouble with the fat acceptance community because *reasons*, but one thing I think they are spot on about is how all weight loss is seen as a good thing and how damaged that thinking is. I'm even hesitant to write what I'm about to write as I fear it's triggering. I've always struggled with my weight (in that I've yo-yoed between being *very* heavy and a normal-ish weight since I was a teenager and my mum put me on a diet). To be fair, I asked her to, and that's not the only reason I've struggled - I used to use food as a comfort and weight as a shield from being *visible* in an attractive way.

Anyway, I've banged on tediously before about my C-PTSD and my eventual breakdown. During my breakdown and recovery, I couldn't eat. I mean, I couldn't bring myself to put food in my mouth, chew it and swallow it, for days at a time. I was at my heaviest when I had my breakdown (over 20 stone). During the time I was off work I lost over a 1/3 of my body weight. Sorry for numbers, I've tried to leave them a bit vague, but I'm using them to illustrate the gravity. When I went back to work people congratulated me on my weight loss, even though the vast majority knew I'd been off sick for 6 months. What kind of world is it where the trauma I had gone through was writ large on my body, and that was a reason to congratulate me? Plus, if it had gone the other way and I'd dealt with my trauma by eating instead of not eating, then that would have been seen as awful instead of 'Well done you'. And, I can't even be cross with those people, because even I, even now, I know I look back at that period and there is a little bit of 'Well, it was bleeping awful and I came close to something very final, but heck, I can buy jeans from normal shops now.' I know how damaged that thinking is, yet I can't not think it a little bit.

It's also interesting that this switch from comfort eating to not eating has stuck and I still find it incredibly hard to eat when I'm stressed or anxious and it's really dangerous, because it starts a spiral that I find really hard to see. My partner has to make me eat, because it makes everything so much worse to not eat, but it's incredibly hard.

Right. After all that gloom. I promised @crystaleyesd some Soviet era bric-a-brac. It's all space/sci fi related I think because lots is in storage and these are the few bits left out, but as promised, an mini-avalanche of them attached. x

ETA: Sorry, massive pics, put them under a spoiler now for those who want to scroll on by.

Maybe you could arrange a zoom call with your robots and slopbot?

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.