Food and Drink #16 Liedown larder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Afternoon all - another strange week - I literally haven’t got out of bed (period pains and terrible sleep) which means I’ve turned into a sloth. The MT has been busy!

Have promised myself to do better as my yoga mat has arrived, so beginners yoga starts tomorrow :).

The husband is making nachos tomorrow - not technically a new recipe as we have made all the constituent parts before. But should be yummers.

Here is my catto with his new Xmas catnip trout.
Please feel free to ask if you want any yoga tips or recommendations! I've become such a yoga wanker, I talk about it as much as Jack Monroe talks about renting.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
Please feel free to ask if you want any yoga tips or recommendations! I've become such a yoga wanker, I talk about it as much as Jack Monroe talks about renting.
Yes please!!!!

What would you say is the best online teacher for beginners?

I did give it a try about 18 months ago and I cannot do downward dog - does that matter?

Reactions: 6
oooo i would like recs! would you recommend any yoga videos to help with calf pain? like a nice long one to do before and after i go for a run?

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Hi all. So glad so many of you are enjoying window swap 🖤 - in case you are on the look out for mine, it looks like this:

DSC_0192.JPG

What a place that was!

I can also reveal I'll be doing another season of CRISP REVIEWS very soon. Vlad FINALLY granted me my visa (he was keen I put more legwork in on the Monroe file) so in a few weeks I'll be snarfing down all manner of Russian treats.

In the meantime, I got a bunch of Soviet era food socks. Today's comes courtesy of every Russian's favorite stodge - гречка (buckwheat)

_20210115_131154.JPG

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Hi all. So glad so many of you are enjoying window swap 🖤 - in case you are on the look out for mine, it looks like this:

View attachment 384861
What a place that was!

I can also reveal I'll be doing another season of CRISP REVIEWS very soon. Vlad FINALLY granted me my visa (he was keen I put more legwork in on the Monroe file) so in a few weeks I'll be snarfing down all manner of Russian treats.

In the meantime, I got a bunch of Soviet era food socks. Today's comes courtesy of every Russian's favorite stodge - гречка (buckwheat)

View attachment 384877
what a great view! If it snows here in London tomorrow as predicted (fingers crossed) I will share a window photo but as it is it is just grey and depressing, and no one needs to see that at the moment.
Side note, my mum just gave me a huge piece of cooked ham she ordered for xmas, anyone have any suggestions on what to do with it? other than just sandwiches or feeding some to the cat ?

Reactions: 12
Yes please!!!!

What would you say is the best online teacher for beginners?

I did give it a try about 18 months ago and I cannot do downward dog - does that matter?
I found downward dog very uncomfortable for a long time. I'd say it helps to focus more on the upper body - getting the shoulder and arms aligned properly and stretching the back - rather than trying to get your heels down. A lot of people will never get their heels down just because of the way their bodies are, so forget about that and concentrate on the rest of the pose.

A lot of people like Yoga With Adriene on Youtube. She's not my cup of tea at all, but she must be doing something right as she has legions of fans. I follow videos from Lesley Fightmaster, who sadly passed away recently. She has a good beginners' series here:

@blurstoftimes I gave up running (knee injury 😭) before I really got into yoga...I know @Harrybosch is into yoga too and may have some suggestions!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
what a great view! If it snows here in London tomorrow as predicted (fingers crossed) I will share a window photo but as it is it is just grey and depressing, and no one needs to see that at the moment.
Side note, my mum just gave me a huge piece of cooked ham she ordered for xmas, anyone have any suggestions on what to do with it? other than just sandwiches or feeding some to the cat ?
I like putting ham in fried rice! Fry it up in cubes so it's nice and crispy and any fat renders, then make fried rice as normal, then add the ham back in at the end.

Reactions: 13
I prefer Yoga with Kassandra (I believe that's her name) over Adrienne. Not sure why but Adrienme irritates me a bit. Although note that I am more or less clueless about yoga apart from having taken a few months of classes some years ago, so if Kassandra has ill advise, that's not really obvious to me 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I found downward dog very uncomfortable for a long time. I'd say it helps to focus more on the upper body - getting the shoulder and arms aligned properly and stretching the back - rather than trying to get your heels down. A lot of people will never get their heels down just because of the way their bodies are, so forget about that and concentrate on the rest of the pose.

A lot of people like Yoga With Adriene on Youtube. She's not my cup of tea at all, but she must be doing something right as she has legions of fans. I follow videos from Lesley Fightmaster, who sadly passed away recently. She has a good beginners' series here:

@blurstoftimes I gave up running (knee injury 😭) before I really got into yoga...I know @Harrybosch is into yoga too and may have some suggestions!
Awesome thank you. I found a beginners’ yoga website and it has sessions from a few different teachers so I will just work through it and see what takes my fancy.

My other question is about all the different types of yoga - hatha, ashtanga etc and loads more. What is this all about? There seem to be different types taught by local teachers.

How do I know which is best? There seems to be an assumption that everyone knows already!

I have bought a mat with lines so will focus on making sure I’m positioned properly then and not worry too much about the heels.

Reactions: 8
I have to admit I do feel guilty, last summer term I sent my daughter back (June / July) for 3 days a week as her dad is a key worker (I'm not) and her best friend was going back...as she's an only child I felt that months and months of being on her own wasn't good for her and at that point the cases in my city were extremely low so it didn't feel too 'risky' per se. This time around it didn't occur to me even once that it would be an acceptable thing to do so she's stayed home, and on reflection I do wonder whether I made the wrong decision last year now!
I don't think there's anything to feel guilty about there. Situation was completely different and was so hard for only children (my daughter is effectively one too) during the long lockdown. I don't think it's at all comparable to where we are now. It's always hard to decide what to do, but there has to be an element of sensible risk assessment and all the factors too.

Not even a baked potato with cheese?!

ETA I hadn't read past this when I posted so it seems a bit frivolous now!! Hope everyone is doing ok, this lockdown does seem like a weird one doesn't it. Sending happy thoughts to you all.
No beans. It's a simple rule. No loopholes :LOL:
Unfortunately for me they are one of my partner's and my daughter's favourite things, so I have to give them house room, but I don't have to give them room on my plate.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 16

View attachment 384861
What a place that was!

View attachment 384877
Love the window and the socks, and so pleased for you that your visa finally came through!! Looking forward to russian crisp reviews!!

• Heart
Reactions: 14

View attachment 384861
What a place that was!

View attachment 384877
Oh my god. I want these socks more than anything I have ever seen. I am obsessed with the Soviet era (Politics A-level, then an interest in history of space race, plus general aesthetic - though I appreciate maybe the aesthetic thing is in slightly bad taste considering the human implications) and have all manner of Soviet bric-a-brac. I love these.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Oh my god. I want these socks more than anything I have ever seen. I am obsessed with the Soviet era (Politics A-level, then an interest in history of space race, plus general aesthetic - though I appreciate maybe the aesthetic thing is in slightly bad taste considering the human implications) and have all manner of Soviet bric-a-brac. I love these.
You can buy them here if you like - https://noskar.com/product/musthave/?attribute_pa_size=36-40 (hopefully your computer supports Ukranian - English translation). The postage is pretty steep obviously (about £9) but you get 5 pairs of socks for less than a tenner so I didn't mind paying it!

I'd love to see your Soviet bric-a-brac! I also am cultivating a bit of a collection (don't have it with me for the move, but I'm sure to be adding to it!) and yeah, share your hesitation re not wanting to support the regime, but the aesthetic is just :love:

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Lots of ham? Yikes. Don't give it to your old boy, that leads bad places.

I like it in egg fried rice too.

Ham hash. You know, like corned beef hash but with ham.

Shred some up and make rosti and put some shredded ham in with the potato (and some sort of allium).

I like an old fashioned parsley white sauce with ham. That's an old Sunday favourite from my childhood.

Though you could make croquetas which are basically breadcrumbed white sauce and ham.

Pea and ham soup. Or lentil and ham soup.

Chop it up small and fry it and use it in place of pancetta in pasta things. Mmm carbonara.

Quiche

Chicken and ham pie

Ham and egg pie

I have said ham too many times and it no longer looks like a word to me anymore.

You can buy them here if you like - https://noskar.com/product/musthave/?attribute_pa_size=36-40 (hopefully your computer supports Ukranian - English translation). The postage is pretty steep obviously (about £9) but you get 5 pairs of socks for less than a tenner so I didn't mind paying it!

I'd love to see your Soviet bric-a-brac! I also am cultivating a bit of a collection (don't have it with me for the move, but I'm sure to be adding to it!) and yeah, share your hesitation re not wanting to support the regime, but the aesthetic is just :love:
Thank you!!
A lot of mine is packed away too atm as trying to make house look saleable. Some of the space race stuff is out still and some space toys. I'm in my social bubble atm, but when I'm back I will photograph some mini Yuri Gagarins for you :D

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
Lots of ham? Yikes. Don't give it to your old boy, that leads bad places.

I like it in egg fried rice too.

Ham hash. You know, like corned beef hash but with ham.

Shred some up and make rosti and put some shredded ham in with the potato (and some sort of allium).

I like an old fashioned parsley white sauce with ham. That's an old Sunday favourite from my childhood.

Though you could make croquetas which are basically breadcrumbed white sauce and ham.

Pea and ham soup. Or lentil and ham soup.

Chop it up small and fry it and use it in place of pancetta in pasta things. Mmm carbonara.

Quiche

Chicken and ham pie

Ham and egg pie

I have said ham too many times and it no longer looks like a word to me anymore.

Thank you!!
A lot of mine is packed away too atm as trying to make house look saleable. Some of the space race stuff is out still and some space toys. I'm in my social bubble atm, but when I'm back I will photograph some mini Yuri Gargarins for you :D
Ok xx

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I don't think there's anything to feel guilty about there. Situation was completely different and was so hard for only children (my daughter is effectively one too) during the long lockdown. I don't think it's at all comparable to where we are now. It's always hard to decide what to do, but there has to be an element of sensible risk assessment and all the factors too.

No beans. It's a simple rule. No loopholes :LOL:
Unfortunately for me they are one of my partner's and my daughter's favourite things, so I have to give them house room, but I don't have to give them room on my plate.
totally agree re baked beans, I love legumes generally, but baked beans just taste so sugary and chemically to me, although I used to eat them as a child.
About online classes, does anyone have good recommendations for pilates ones?

Reactions: 5
Thanks for all the ham suggestions! If anything I make is aesthetic enough (unlikely) I will post photos of the results

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.