Food and Drink #16 Liedown larder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Morning all! I've been AWOL because what with being a uniform wearing sort I've been BUSY, but I'm doing my best to grunka the MTs despite regularly needing a sit-down with hot sweet tea with every fresh depthplumbing revelation.
I think the crying selfie really is a new low.

I'm off to get my vaccination today so I will report back on any exciting side effects!

@traumatised sideboard as the creator of our most precious and prestigious bot you are duty bound to rest properly til fully recovered mmmkay? Lots of fluids, preferably warm ones like soup or redbush tea with honey, and all the tit TV you can handle is my professional opinion.

Also worth getting yourself an oximeter if you don't have one already just to keep an eye on your sats/put your mind at ease and effervescent paracetamol is absorbed more efficiently for fever and achiness so fizzy cocodamol if you can take it is the best way through this.

Sending unidentifiable dishes and poorly constructed lies to everyone else ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Glad you have all returned, 🤚🏼 brand new merino wool sox, wore for the first time, big hole! The seam across the front has gone. Even my old knackered worn out sox have never done this. I am going to attempt to mend them, but cotton or wool to sew?

cauliflower has no place, full stop.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 14
Anyone else found this week really tough? Theres just something in the air.

Hoping next week will be easier. OH starts a new job and my children will be able to go to school for 3 days. 🙌

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Glad you have all returned, 🤚🏼 brand new merino wool sox, wore for the first time, big hole! The seam across the front has gone. Even my old knackered worn out sox have never done this. I am going to attempt to mend them, but cotton or wool to sew?

cauliflower has no place, full stop.

I love this account's philosophy of visible mending, but even if you don't go in for that, she's got a darning guide in her stories that might be useful!

Reactions: 13

Hoping next week will be easier. OH starts a new job and my children will be able to go to school for 3 days. 🙌
Agreed massively. Congrats to OH, and @traumatised sideboard really hope you’re doing okay, how many days are you in now?

I think the toughness is expectation resetting? I always have had a worst case outlook - assumed 2020 was gone but always thought it’d be getting there by December, so to be in a worse off position is horrific tbh? My husband is worried cos he says I’ve not been right since the Christmas uturn which is true, HOWEVER have heard they’re rolling out 24/7 vaccinations which has made my day!! Disco jabs 💃🏻🕺

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 08.48.13.png

Just saw this comment on Reddit that made me think of various bin cunts we have known, gave me a giggle.

• Haha
Jason Manford has a radio show on a Sunday morning which often has a segment called #binchat on it. Always reminds me of this thread. Some of the stories on it though 😯

Reactions: 7

Yes! I’ve been especially grumpy for no particular reason this week. I have some time off work soon and my birthday so hoping that cheers me up a bit!
I hope next week will be better for you too ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Hello all - I can only describe this week as one long day! It feels never-ending. I think @heretoreaditall2019 is right in that we had expected to be returning to some kind of normality which has made this latest lockdown so hard to accept. My friend send me a photo of us from this time last year in a restaurant and it made me cry as we looked so carefree and happy; it made me realise what a struggle life is every day now.

Bin-bleep still comes up as an option every time I fill my name in on a form and its brings me great joy, it really makes me laugh.

@Begborrowsteal great news about your OH starting a new job and some normality for your kids going to school.

At our school you have to both be key workers for a place and the head sent a letter home basically begging parents not to send their kids in if they are at home. One mum is separated from her husband and doesn't work yet is sending her child to school as her ex is a key worker!! Another lied and says she works full time but everyone knows she works 2 days. . What is wrong with people? I couldn't look another parent in the eye if this was me. Do people have no shame or just dont care??

• Wow
Reactions: 16
Hello all - I can only describe this week as one long day! It feels never-ending. I think @heretoreaditall2019 is right in that we had expected to be returning to some kind of normality which has made this latest lockdown so hard to accept. My friend send me a photo of us from this time last year in a restaurant and it made me cry as we looked so carefree and happy; it made me realise what a struggle life is every day now.

Bin-bleep still comes up as an option every time I fill my name in on a form and its brings me great joy, it really makes me laugh.

@Begborrowsteal great news about your OH starting a new job and some normality for your kids going to school.

At our school you have to both be key workers for a place and the head sent a letter home basically begging parents not to send their kids in if they are at home. One mum is separated from her husband and doesn't work yet is sending her child to school as her ex is a key worker!! Another lied and says she works full time but everyone knows she works 2 days. . What is wrong with people? I couldn't look another parent in the eye if this was me. Do people have no shame or just dont care??
I think judging how many people don't seem to be able to follow basic distancing advice people are just selfish and don't care

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I think partly it's not caring/not believing in something being real until it hits close to home and partly I wonder if it's just human nature. The immediate shock has worn off and it's been nearly a year of this, so people are starting to feel like it's 'normal', like when the shock of a bereavement or life change wears off and your body returns to its normal state instead of being on high alert all the time. So people are making bad choices, not out of bad intent, but because it's not natural to maintain a state of high alert/panic/stress all the time.

That all sounds very charitable of me, but I still raise my eyebrows at my neighbours. One of them is a key worker (food shop owner) but the other doesn't work and they still send their 4 children off to school every day.

I'm technically a key worker (the definition of key worker seems, ummm, pretty loose in places), I have a letter and *everything* , so could send my child to school. I'm not, though, because I'm working from home most of the time and don't want to add to their burden. Or, frankly, when I go almost nowhere public atm, increase my/her risk level by sending her to school everyday. It does seem a no-brainer to me, even if I do have to troubleshoot Google Classroom approx 8 times a day.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I think partly it's not caring/not believing in something being real until it hits close to home and partly I wonder if it's just human nature. The immediate shock has worn off and it's been nearly a year of this, so people are starting to feel like it's 'normal', like when the shock of a bereavement or life change wears off and your body returns to its normal state instead of being on high alert all the time. So people are making bad choices, not out of bad intent, but because it's not natural to maintain a state of high alert/panic/stress all the time.

That all sounds very charitable of me, but I still raise my eyebrows at my neighbours. One of them is a key worker (food shop owner) but the other doesn't work and they still send their 4 children off to school every day.

I'm technically a key worker (the definition of key worker seems, ummm, pretty loose in places), I have a letter and *everything* , so could send my child to school. I'm not, though, because I'm working from home most of the time and don't want to add to their burden. Or, frankly, when I go almost nowhere public atm, increase my/her risk level by sending her to school everyday. It does seem a no-brainer to me, even if I do have to troubleshoot Google Classroom approx 8 times a day.
I have to admit I do feel guilty, last summer term I sent my daughter back (June / July) for 3 days a week as her dad is a key worker (I'm not) and her best friend was going back...as she's an only child I felt that months and months of being on her own wasn't good for her and at that point the cases in my city were extremely low so it didn't feel too 'risky' per se. This time around it didn't occur to me even once that it would be an acceptable thing to do so she's stayed home, and on reflection I do wonder whether I made the wrong decision last year now!

Hope home schooling is going okay with everyone. I bought my daughter a pair of roller skates last week as an incentive to get her to exercise outside every day, which has worked a charm but also means she spends every second of her spare time rollerskating around our house listening to music. Eating breakfast in skates, brushing her hair in skates, watching t.v in skates etc etc. The swooooshing sound has just become part of our daily background noise now :LOL:

• Haha
  • Heart
Another keyworker here - last year I was able to work from home in spite of having 'the letter', but this time round my employer won't allow it because my office is now 'covid secure'. So I am sending my child to school as my husband can't work from home. I spoke to the headteacher about it and she said that seems to be the case a lot this time round, employers not being as willing to let people work from home. I serve frontline NHS staff as part of my job, but it would be easy to do from home still. It's very frustrating.

ETA: I feel very fortunate she has a place though, being an only child, she is loving the interaction with classmates.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
It is infuriating to read about companies not allowing staff to work from home who can easily do so.

I had another glimmer of hope today as the number of people we have in my hospital with covid has been dropping every day this week - so things are looking slightly less bleak.

• Heart
It is infuriating to read about companies not allowing staff to work from home who can easily do so.

I had another glimmer of hope today as the number of people we have in my hospital with covid has been dropping every day this week - so things are looking slightly less bleak.
That's lovely to hear, same at the hospital I work in too. Really hope it continues downwards.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

I think for some people this is true, but there have been people pretty much from day one not following the rules

Reactions: 9
I too am a keyworker, work full time and a single parent (duck me I sound like the topic of the MT??!!) and one of my children has additional needs. If the infection rate was lower in this area I would have sent my kids in as I am on Teams calls non stop all day and simply cannot do any schoolwork with them. Imagine me telling No10 that they cant have urgent information as little Jonny is on a zoom lesson? Realistically I am one of those women who have had to choose between my job and home-schooling and the guilt is just horrible. I am comfortably off but going from a two income household to being the sole earner brings its own worries - long and short term. This is most likely the basis for most of my anger at parents who send their kids in even in one does not have a job.

To keep things on topic I am off for some comfort food, scrambled eggs on (pillowy) toast. My favourite is poached eggs but they always come out stringy or like bullets!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Baked beans are not ok on anything. Sorry, but facts are facts.
Not even a baked potato with cheese?!

ETA I hadn't read past this when I posted so it seems a bit frivolous now!! Hope everyone is doing ok, this lockdown does seem like a weird one doesn't it. Sending happy thoughts to you all.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Afternoon all - another strange week - I literally haven’t got out of bed (period pains and terrible sleep) which means I’ve turned into a sloth. The MT has been busy!

Have promised myself to do better as my yoga mat has arrived, so beginners yoga starts tomorrow :).

The husband is making nachos tomorrow - not technically a new recipe as we have made all the constituent parts before. But should be yummers.

Here is my catto with his new Xmas catnip trout.

Attachments

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.