Food and Drink #16 Liedown larder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've just given my mum ANOTHER lecture about going to the shops (the same one I've been giving her since last March). I think people got complacent at exactly the wrong time, but it's hard to keep things up for SO LONG. Anyway, point being my mum told me it would be another year of this and I was trying to cheer her up by saying 'just a few more months' but she's right, as always. If I can get through the next few months without her catching it I'll be so happy but she can't seem to stay away from the local Sainsbos.
Oh God, mine's the same. 'I popped round to take Liz some magazines and we had a socially distanced coffee in her garden.' 'Mum, you're not supposed to do that.' 'It's supporting the elderly, darling, that's allowed.' 'Mum, Liz is 70 and you're 81.' She's taking it a bit more seriously this time, thankfully.

I'm knackered after three hours walking on the hill with 5kg of sheep food in a rucksack. Saw a lot of other people's sheep, but mine had parked themselves right at the end of a peninsula and even if I'd had enough daylight (and energy!) to get to them, it was really too windy to do it safely, I didn't fancy plummeting 200ft down a cliff.

Nice views though.

View attachment 385796

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
Hugs to everyone, it all is a bit 'close' all of a sudden isn't it? My partner's dad claimed he had woken up with a fever in the night for only a few hours just after New Year's, then admitted he had actually had a fever 2 days in a row so my partner told him to start isolating IMMEDIATELY which he claimed to do. The isolation period ended yesterday but on the phone he casually mentioned he had gone for a few nice runs over the past week and had also popped into a few shops! WTF?! He has been widowed since July and he's a bit scatty at the best of times but he is not an old person by any means and he should absolutely no better than this, he's just being incredibly selfish and I am so annoyed...he lives in a small town with loads of older people so imagine how many people he could have potentially infected just by popping into the shop one time? Wtf does he think isolation is?! Argggghhhh

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Well I'm coming over here to take a break, MT is draining 😑.

Have just started coming out of one of my wobbly patches, and now thrust into home schooling again. Older child can pretty much be independent with learning, but middle one needs a lot of input. He could go in technically as he has an EHCP, but we chose to keep him home, mainly because he has to take a long taxi ride twice a day with a few others 😬. I end up getting guilt pangs though that I'm not doing my best for him, because I'm just not firing on all cylinders at the mo. Feeling a bit frazzled, like most of us I think ❤

@Geetbo to mark your return, I've whipped out my brand new socks.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Hope everyone is OK - been quite a few months hasn't it!?

Are we still doing socks or is that yesterday's news?
We did Christmas sox, but since the cold snap mine have been boring plain woolly jobs.

if anybody is a sock expert.........I have an issue

Reactions: 8
Well I'm coming over here to take a break, MT is draining 😑.

Have just started coming out of one of my wobbly patches, and now thrust into home schooling again. Older child can pretty much be independent with learning, but middle one needs a lot of input. He could go in technically as he has an EHCP, but we chose to keep him home, mainly because he has to take a long taxi ride twice a day with a few others 😬. I end up getting guilt pangs though that I'm not doing my best for him, because I'm just not firing on all cylinders at the mo. Feeling a bit frazzled, like most of us I think ❤

@Geetbo to mark your return, I've whipped out my brand new socks.
Oh they are amazing. I’ve not treated myself to new socks in ages.

I have had my first COVID vaccination though - so for the first time it feels like there’s a little glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

• Heart
Reactions: 26

I have had my first COVID vaccination though - so for the first time it feels like there’s a little glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.
A few friends of mine who are doctors and nurses have had theirs, it's great to see!

We've had tit weather the last few days and we're back in municipal lockdown. It's all a bit gloomy - January is never fun in a good year, is it?

• Heart
Reactions: 14
On a lighter note, after the mental day we’ve had over on the MT, here’s a picture of the dinner Mr Aquamarina cooked me the other night. Cajun pork chops and savoy cabbage with garlic, chilli and chorizo. I was slightly suspicious when he picked up Alphabites (or the Tesco equivalent the other day.) It was purely for the comedy value of presenting me with this...

View attachment 385918

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
On a lighter note, after the mental day we’ve had over on the MT, here’s a picture of the dinner Mr Aquamarina cooked me the other night. Cajun pork chops and savoy cabbage with garlic, chilli and chorizo. I was slightly suspicious when he picked up Alphabites (or the Tesco equivalent the other day.) It was purely for the comedy value of presenting me with this...

View attachment 385918
Ah imagine his disappointment if he'd grabbed a bag with no Ws or something. 😂

So what's everyone eating this eve? Mr NT is cooking us some spicy BBQ pork, with some dauphinois potatoes ☺.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Oh God, mine's the same. 'I popped round to take Liz some magazines and we had a socially distanced coffee in her garden.' 'Mum, you're not supposed to do that.' 'It's supporting the elderly, darling, that's allowed.' 'Mum, Liz is 70 and you're 81.' She's taking it a bit more seriously this time, thankfully.

I'm knackered after three hours walking on the hill with 5kg of sheep food in a rucksack. Saw a lot of other people's sheep, but mine had parked themselves right at the end of a peninsula and even if I'd had enough daylight (and energy!) to get to them, it was really too windy to do it safely, I didn't fancy plummeting 200ft down a cliff.

Nice views though.

View attachment 385796
Stop it 😍

I have a painting on the wall that looks similar to this view. Love it ❤

Reactions: 11
Ah imagine his disappointment if he'd grabbed a bag with no Ws or something. 😂

So what's everyone eating this eve? Mr NT is cooking us some spicy BBQ pork, with some dauphinois potatoes ☺.
I made chicken fillets in oyster sauce, honey and garlic salt and some egg-fried rice with leftover roast pork and spring onions for me and the teenager. We won't dwell on MrF's plate of keto friendly food. Meat with meat essentially.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I wasn't joking about a COVID fever dream on the MT, I have genuinely caught the fucker and got a fever. My hands are literally red raw from washing and sanitising them and I never touch my face with my hands, the only shop I go to is a supermarket a couple of times a week (can't carry everything by myself in one trip), I keep minimum 1.5 metres away from other people, wear a face covering and somehow I've still got it. Makes me angry that people are being so blasé about it. I've now potentially exposed my mother in her early sixties (she's my support bubble and I saw her before I was symptomatic) to it and she does shopping for my unvaccinated 90-year-old grandma so now I'm worried about the chain of transmission. In the info the NHS sent me they said pets can catch it so I'm also worried that my cat is going to catch it as well, what a mare.

The craving for kippers and the need to take a picture of myself in a dressing gown for Twitter haven't appeared yet, I assume that comes later.

• Heart
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 38
I wasn't joking about a COVID fever dream on the MT, I have genuinely caught the fucker and got a fever. My hands are literally red raw from washing and sanitising them and I never touch my face with my hands, the only shop I go to is a supermarket a couple of times a week (can't carry everything by myself in one trip), I keep minimum 1.5 metres away from other people, wear a face covering and somehow I've still got it. Makes me angry that people are being so blasé about it. I've now potentially exposed my mother in her early sixties (she's my support bubble and I saw her before I was symptomatic) to it and she does shopping for my unvaccinated 90-year-old grandma so now I'm worried about the chain of transmission. In the info the NHS sent me they said pets can catch it so I'm also worried that my cat is going to catch it as well, what a mare.

The craving for kippers and the need to take a picture of myself in a dressing gown for Twitter haven't appeared yet, I assume that comes later.
God. Really hope you're doing ok with it. Like it's not SEVERE covid. Sorry that sounded a little sarcastic. I really do hope you're alright and if you're on your own you have plenty of people at the end of a phone. x

I think you only get the kippers/Twitter symptoms if it turns into Long, yet mysteriously disappearing, Covid, so I guess there's still time.

Reactions: 13
Plz to be joining the 90s grunge corner with @Universal and @NP. I will bring my ripped all over flared jeans, army boots and vest top with me. I loved/love Nirvana and Pearl Jam. My brother-in-law spent an evening with Kurt Cobain once, I am v jealous. Mind you, he was borderline famous (to big fans of British punk-pop) at the time, so a bit fancy.

Really looking forward to watching 'The Great'. I am rewatching 'Back to Life' atm on iPlayer. I think it's absolutely wonderful TV. So clever, funny and moving. I can't recommend it enough.
I went to a Courtney Love concert in London (I hearted it) and was admitted backstage afterwards. Family connections.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

Welcome back! How are you feeling? I am having mine this week, bricking it slightly 😂 I’m nervous about them at the best of times but I suffer from allergies too

Reactions: 7
Awri F&D thread. I have a question for ye as I know many of you are great in the kitchen [and I think #jackslockdownlarder might have been forgotten already???].

Also this is going to be very basic because I am fairly shite at cooking but am eager to improve.

Reading mac&cheese recipes they often advise not to use pre-shredded cheese as the cellulose can make it grittier when melting into the roux. I happen to have some in and would rather use it than buy even more cheese [possible exaggeration but very much if i buy it i will eat it], and looked at the ingredients and it's potato starch as the anti-caking agent. I think there are different types of cellulose, so would potato starch break down ok or would I in fact be mavericking macaroni slop?

Reactions: 7
Awri F&D thread. I have a question for ye as I know many of you are great in the kitchen [and I think #jackslockdownlarder might have been forgotten already???].

Also this is going to be very basic because I am fairly shite at cooking but am eager to improve.

Reading mac&cheese recipes they often advise not to use pre-shredded cheese as the cellulose can make it grittier when melting into the roux. I happen to have some in and would rather use it than buy even more cheese [possible exaggeration but very much if i buy it i will eat it], and looked at the ingredients and it's potato starch as the anti-caking agent. I think there are different types of cellulose, so would potato starch break down ok or would I in fact be mavericking macaroni slop?
TBH you'll be fine, plenty of people use pre-grated cheese - it may not be ideal, but it won't be a disaster. Just make sure you take the sauce off the heat before you stir the cheese in, or the mixture could split.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

You could always rinse it. 😇

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I'm jumping in here to share my toaster with @Mustard and @Miss LDN as I don't want to hog the other thread with off-topic posts. The toaster is the right shape for sliced sourdough. The toaster has not-great reviews, mainly because square bread doesn't fit well. It does toast a bit unevenly and the metal "rails" get hot but I'm used to it and I know how to overcome its little niggles.

Smart Tunnel toaster

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
@traumatised sideboard I hope you are feeling better soon. I feel like its ever looming closer by the day at the moment.

Grunge was the best, I went to see Nirvana about 8 times, Mudhoney, Soundgarden, Janes Addiction the lot- Reading Festival was a dream back then. In Manchester I got backstage with Smashing Pumpkins but it was, unfortunately, all very polite.

The MT is too much for me at the moment. I have access to (but don't manage) the Twitter account of the Central Government Department I work for and duck me I had fantasies of tweeting yesterday (if I ever want to blow up my career and never work again). I'm staying here for the foreseeable.

Welcome back @Geetbo Ive missed the sock chat.

To keep it on topic I am having roasted butternut squash and sage risotto for tea.

Well I cant see him for ages with the new restrictions so Ive gone from drinking ALL the wine and having ALL the sex to early nights and dry January. Covid is a bastard. Its like having a pen pal.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.