Food and Drink #16 Liedown larder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
happy saturday everyone! mine has not begun well... I FINALLY got my boiler fixed (of course at a ridiculous expense) and then last night it developed a new issue and isn't working.... ugh

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
Hope you’re ok @traumatised sideboard sorry to hear about your Grandma, I can’t believe it’s nearly a year since this all kicked off.

Foodie thing, the other night I made “fish bites” and instead of breadcrumbs I used polenta and ground almonds, they were so nice!

@Falkor for the lambs do you keep them for a while or sell them straight away for slaughter? Only ask as I we went to a local farm to watch lambing (one child loved it, one turned green!) and the farmer was explaining that he kept them for a few months before selling

• Heart
Reactions: 11
@emm is it something easily fixable? Hope so. At least the weather is kinder this weekend. In fact I am feeling positively hopeful and optimistic looking at the sunshine. Fingers crossed for you.

I am off to MrU's (I am calling him that now) for tea and he is cooking for me. After almost 12 months of cooking or assembling every single crumb that I have eaten its so nice just to have someone put a meal in front of you.

I spent this morning picking out three lovely recipes from the roasting tin book, ones that you look like you can freeze and ordered all of the lovely ingredients from Ocado. I thought it would be more expensive as I ordered a lot but the absence of meat does really make a difference to the price.

Reactions: 17
@emm is it something easily fixable? Hope so. At least the weather is kinder this weekend. In fact I am feeling positively hopeful and optimistic looking at the sunshine. Fingers crossed for you.

I am off to MrU's (I am calling him that now) for tea and he is cooking for me. After almost 12 months of cooking or assembling every single crumb that I have eaten its so nice just to have someone put a meal in front of you.

I spent this morning picking out three lovely recipes from the roasting tin book, ones that you look like you can freeze and ordered all of the lovely ingredients from Ocado. I thought it would be more expensive as I ordered a lot but the absence of meat does really make a difference to the price.
ooh nice what is he cooking?
Boiler is working for now (i spoke to the guy who fixed it), but it is probably a temporary fix.. damn all the cheap things installed in my flat :rolleyes:

ohhhh @Nottonightbabe I can almost smell that one - its looks ace. I hope you can afford butter?

@emm glad you have heating. I have no idea what he is cooking but he is a really good cook and likes wine so its always a pleasant experience. I will report back.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
ohhhh @Nottonightbabe I can almost smell that one - its looks ace. I hope you can afford butter?

@emm glad you have heating. I have no idea what he is cooking but he is a really good cook and likes wine so its always a pleasant experience. I will report back.
ooh nice, hopefully with photos!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Just popping in to say hello. The MT is sending me wild and if I carry on there Mrs T will have me out on my ear. I am on the verge of turning my house beige a la Hinch it has got that bad.

No grunking I am afraid, just liking the bread and general chat, sheep and niceness.

❤

• Heart
Reactions: 12
happy saturday everyone! mine has not begun well... I FINALLY got my boiler fixed (of course at a ridiculous expense) and then last night it developed a new issue and isn't working.... ugh
What a pain! Was there an issue with how it was fixed? Hopefully you haven’t got to pay out more money.

Fish pie for dinner tonight. One of my favourites. On another note, does anyone accept parcels for neighbours then get increasingly annoyed when they don’t come and get them? I only said yes because I thought it was different neighbour, then I realised it was someone I’ve never spoken to before but I’d already taken it by then 🤦‍♀️

• Sad
Reactions: 13
What a pain! Was there an issue with how it was fixed? Hopefully you haven’t got to pay out more money.

Fish pie for dinner tonight. One of my favourites. On another note, does anyone accept parcels for neighbours then get increasingly annoyed when they don’t come and get them? I only said yes because I thought it was different neighbour, then I realised it was someone I’ve never spoken to before but I’d already taken it by then 🤦‍♀️
god knows tbh!
We have the opposite issue (I live in a flat), delivery companies just seem to delivery to random people in the building, the whatsapp group we have is pretty much just "has anyone got..." it is a nightmare

I've been unexpectedly offered the COVID jab (didn't realise I was classed as having an underlying health condition) so I've booked it for early March. Feeling quite guilty that I'm going to have mine before my parents who are in their sixties, especially as I will still have some level of immunity from having had COVID less than two months ago.

While it is nice to think that with the vaccination roll-out we are that much closer to getting back to a total end to lockdown, I'm caught up in the fact it's come too late for my grandma who died suddenly a week ago. She lived in a care home and we hadn't been able to see her for over a year. Another couple of months and we'd have been able to visit, we were that close. I just can't believe that the last year of her life was a bleeping pandemic. Sorry to be terribly depressing. At least my other grandma has had her first jab, that is a great relief. I'm glad other people here are having theirs too.
So sorry for your loss . It must be devastating that you could not spend time with her. Sending you a big hug ,take care of yourself

• Heart
So sorry for your loss . It must be devastating that you could not spend time with her. Sending you a big hug ,take care of yourself
I didn’t read back so didn’t realise this had happened.

So sorry for you @traumatised sideboard . This time is so awful and there is nothing else I can say. Just like above, sending a hug.

I have found that if you need to sound out, this place is helpful so do not apologise.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
@Falkor for the lambs do you keep them for a while or sell them straight away for slaughter? Only ask as I we went to a local farm to watch lambing (one child loved it, one turned green!) and the farmer was explaining that he kept them for a few months before selling
I sell mine in August or September at 3-4 months old, which is around the time they'd naturally wean themselves off their mums. Because we're on poor hill ground, they don't reach slaughter weight here, they get sold south (usually to Aberdeenshire) where they'll spend a month or two on much richer grass to reach a good weight to go off. I have to admit, it's my least favourite part of shepherding, I wish they could all stay!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I sell mine in August or September at 3-4 months old, which is around the time they'd naturally wean themselves off their mums. Because we're on poor hill ground, they don't reach slaughter weight here, they get sold south (usually to Aberdeenshire) where they'll spend a month or two on much richer grass to reach a good weight to go off. I have to admit, it's my least favourite part of shepherding, I wish they could all stay!
Yeah the ones we got to help feed were so cute, they are funny little things! I did take the opportunity to tell my kids what the final result would be as think it’s best to be honest if they’re going to eat meat, and see it farmed well

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I love that goat article, what a bunch of absolute mad lads. That's the kind of gang I'd like to run with. Now if you'll excuse me, I tried to trim my undercut myself earlier which resulted in a bald patch near my temple and I need to milk it for pity on social media.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I love all the sheep pictures and the stunning views. Do you have to bring your sheep in for shelter to lamb ? . How many new additions are you expecting ?

• Heart
I love all the sheep pictures and the stunning views. Do you have to bring your sheep in for shelter to lamb ? . How many new additions are you expecting ?
Thank you :) They lamb outside, but I'll bring them into the fields next to my house and set up a couple of individual pens inside the horses' field shelter, so if anyone needs keeping an eye on for any reason, they can go in there. I've got 24 due in total, 10 sets of twins and 4 single lambs.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
That's wonderful Falkor 🥰. You will certainly have your hands full. It's great to see people like yourself and your friend Joyce putting so much care and dedication for your animals.

Does anyone know where I can buy grapefruit squash? Tesco used to sell a high juice version. I have looked in Tesco, Asda and Morrisons but can’t find it.

Reactions: 2
Cooking advice please wise ones. I want to use my slow cooker more but I won’t always have time to fry things off in the mornings. I don’t like the dump it all in raw method so I do prefer to cook off the onions, celery etc whatever it is first. Could I do this the night before, keep in the fridge then use in the morning? Or will the cooked veg be a stinky, sludge by morning? What about meat? Could I brown that the night before too or will it go tough as old boots in the fridge? Thanks! I did look at a few slow cooker FB groups but umm... I don’t think there’s a lot of cooking skill to begin with in some of these groups 😬

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.