Food and Drink #16 Liedown larder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you everyone for the condolences. My family is quite small so I've been fortunate enough to be relatively untouched by death up until this point. It's been hard to take. Both my granddads died some years ago now but they both had dementia so in a sense they were already gone. I've not been sleeping well, I feel incredibly guilty especially as I'd made a dusty relatives joke on Tuesday evening not knowing that she'd died earlier that day. She'd sent me a cheque at Christmas that I hadn't got round to putting in the bank so my mum told me to do it before the account got frozen. I felt like I'd sold my soul when I realised that I'd just fed the last thing I had from her into a machine for money.

You know it's been a bad week when forensically combing for a few hours through the same few minutes of JM warbling is not the worst thing you've heard!
I think it’s completely normal to feel that way. We don’t really get taught about grief. Plus grief is so different for everyone. It isn’t linear either.

I think your Grandma would just be happy that you are healthy and will have the jab. Sending you so much love. X

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Thank you for the well-wishes and advice, I genuinely do appreciate it. I've been talking to my sister about it and when she said she'd normally (as in pre-lockdown) go and see one of her friends to talk it through I realised that I don't have a single person outside the family I would tell. On the money front I'm probably going to put it towards a tattoo. She was always interested to hear about what I'd got recently and what I was getting next so I'm pretty sure she was thinking that's what I'd spend it on! I want to get something for her but I'm not big on memorial tattoos in the traditional sense i.e. portraits, names or dates (not that there's anything wrong with those, it's just not my style). I'll think a bit more laterally, e.g. my granddad was obsessed with railways so I got some railroad spikes for him. It'll probably be something floral, there are a lot of different flowers in bloom at the moment and I'm already working on a floral part of a sleeve where it'd fit in nicely.

The good news is that I had a cracking burger with onion rings and fries for dinner from a new vegan place that's recently opened up near me. They had chocolate brownies as well so I got one, it would have been rude not to. I wish I could recommend it by name but I would massively triangulate myself. You can even request they replace the burger buns with doughnuts; I think I'm getting old because that sounds awful 😐

20210224_183942.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Oh @traumatised sideboard I'm so sorry. I hope Slopbot can whip up some hugs for you, something comforting and not featuring the sinister tones of our antihero.
Sending virtual squishes from my home of four legged creatures 💗

I actually just popped in here because I remembered you saying you're an illustrator and I wanted to see if we could have a chat about a project I'm working on but let me know when/if you'd be up for that; that looks delicious and might require a significant post carb sleep.

Doughnuts? On a burger?

Ooh ETA I got floral additions to my arm for my mum; the Victorian language of flowers had a few of her favourites that fitted nicely, like having rosemary for remembrance.
Sounds your G would have been excited to plan something for that money, you'll do her proud.

Xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 16
@HotesTilaire saw your post on the MT, afraid there's not much sheep news other than we seem to have come to an arrangement re: feeding. They'd mixed in totally with the other flock out on the same bit of commons and I thought I was going to have to stop taking food out because the other flock were muscling in and nicking all the grub. But I started going up through the little gate rather than the main gate where they all hang around and then sitting quietly on top of a bit of hill about 200 yards away where they could see me - one would notice me and start to wander over and then all 15 of mine would bring themselves out of the other flock and walk up to me, without me calling them, and I could nip down the other side of the hill and feed them before the other sheep had really worked out what was going on. They've now got this figured out so well that they take themselves off and wait for me at the little gate around 10am and we don't have to worry about the other sheep at all.

For those of you who've seen the last episode and been introduced to Lulu, I was lucky enough to be allowed to take her for a spin last November. She really is utterly gorgeous (and not quite that long in the back, I think Joyce's camera was on wide angle setting!)

lulu.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Thank you for the well-wishes and advice, I genuinely do appreciate it. I've been talking to my sister about it and when she said she'd normally (as in pre-lockdown) go and see one of her friends to talk it through I realised that I don't have a single person outside the family I would tell. On the money front I'm probably going to put it towards a tattoo. She was always interested to hear about what I'd got recently and what I was getting next so I'm pretty sure she was thinking that's what I'd spend it on! I want to get something for her but I'm not big on memorial tattoos in the traditional sense i.e. portraits, names or dates (not that there's anything wrong with those, it's just not my style). I'll think a bit more laterally, e.g. my granddad was obsessed with railways so I got some railroad spikes for him. It'll probably be something floral, there are a lot of different flowers in bloom at the moment and I'm already working on a floral part of a sleeve where it'd fit in nicely.

The good news is that I had a cracking burger with onion rings and fries for dinner from a new vegan place that's recently opened up near me. They had chocolate brownies as well so I got one, it would have been rude not to. I wish I could recommend it by name but I would massively triangulate myself. You can even request they replace the burger buns with doughnuts; I think I'm getting old because that sounds awful 😐

View attachment 454052
I am very on the fence about the doughnuts too. I love Twin Peaks but when Annie's Burger Shack came out with the TP burger (all Annie's burgers can be meat, veggie or vegan for all non-East Midlands fraus) I couldn't bring myself to order it because it had a CHERRY PIE in it. I once had an aim to work through the whole menu but the Elvis (has jam in it) just makes me feel queasy so that is unlikely to happen.

You've also reminded me I have a free doughnut from a local doughnut shop to redeem so thank you!

This flower talk has also reminded me I need to ensure I get some bluebells from my parents garden (they were in my garden but ended up 1km down the road due to my husband having a garden lawn freakout which has now thankfully passed) as they were originally from my Grandmother's garden. I garden for the bees and for her. I didn't have the best relationship with my grandfather on the other side but he had a whacking great garden and grew the biggest chrysanthemums and dahlias so I'm going to grow a whole planter of bee friendly dahlias this year.

Can I have a not-food-and-drink rant just for a second because I've whinged to everyone I know about this already but I still feel annoyed. Had a low hormone IUD put in Sep 2020, wreaked havoc with mucho bleeding and pain etc and some desensitisation to well...everything. Agreed with Dr I would have (and this bit is important) a Mini TT380 Slimline copper only IUD put in at the start of March if I wanted it - pre coil I suffered from heavy/painful periods but was willing to risk it for a biscuit as preliminary reviews in the UK and Mexico indicate the mini copper coils reduce bleeding, pain and expulsion in those of us who haven't given birth. Coil was ordered in Jan and Dr said to not collect it from the chemist until I'm sure. Decided I was sure yesterday - collect coil - open paper bag.
Wrong coil.
Its the standard TT380 Slimline which is a lot bigger but someone has signed it off anyway maybe if they were unfamiliar with the difference? Call the pharmacy 'oh tit sorry yeah you're right it is wrong but we can't order you a new one for Monday' I'm awaiting a call from my Doctor today. Kudos to her, she's dealt with many exasperated phone calls from me recently and has spent too much of her time looking between my legs so I guess one more won't hurt 🥴

• Sad
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
Question for you...I’m making southern fried chicken for tea, but I don’t want to fry it 😅 can I dredge in flour then put in the oven instead? Will it come out okay?

Reactions: 3
Question for you...I’m making southern fried chicken for tea, but I don’t want to fry it 😅 can I dredge in flour then put in the oven instead? Will it come out okay?
If you have a spray bottle I’d recommend spraying some oil over it before popping it in the oven so it gets that crunchy, crispy texture. It’ll be fine baked though.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
If you have a spray bottle I’d recommend spraying some oil over it before popping it in the oven so it gets that crunchy, crispy texture. It’ll be fine baked though.
Thank you! Could I brush them with oil instead? No spray bottle ☹

Reactions: 4
Thank you! Could I brush them with oil instead? No spray bottle ☹
Yeah that’ll work but it may take some of the coating off. You could just drizzle with oil but I find it doesn’t come out consistently crispy all over.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I seriously love how this chat goes from Russian politics to coils to sheep then to fried chicken.

Anyone know @Alansbigplate behind the scenes? Hope all is ok. I know that I am a loon for worrying about Alan of the famous face swap who I have never met but dear fraus I do.

The Little Green Roasting Tin is a book of total joy. Thanks to all who recommended.

He remains thoughtful, funny, lovely and kind. We do have to try so hard to see one another with our crazy jobs and childcare. However we both had the opportunity for two whole days off this week together (mine is the calm before the storm as you all know I work for a Govt Dept and there is a budget next week 🔺 ). Well, to echo the MT I had a persistent redness on my face and had assumed Rosacea, spent ages googling and was about to book a Dr appointment when I realised it was beard rash! Reader, I am 50

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 32
I seriously love how this chat goes from Russian politics to coils to sheep then to fried chicken.

Anyone know @Alansbigplate behind the scenes? Hope all is ok. I know that I am a loon for worrying about Alan of the famous face swap who I have never met but dear fraus I do.

The Little Green Roasting Tin is a book of total joy. Thanks to all who recommended.

He remains thoughtful, funny, lovely and kind. We do have to try so hard to see one another with our crazy jobs and childcare. However we both had the opportunity for two whole days off this week together (mine is the calm before the storm as you all know I work for a Govt Dept and there is a budget next week 🔺 ). Well, to echo the MT I had a persistent redness on my face and had assumed Rosacea, spent ages googling and was about to book a Dr appointment when I realised it was beard rash! Reader, I am 50
You little minx

• Haha
Reactions: 10
@PunkyMonkey thank you for the lovely message, I would say to PM me but no matter how many times people have explained it, I still can't PM anyone! I think I joined too late?

@discokebab cherry pie, what on earth, that sounds like a crime! This place I ordered from does a peanut butter and jam burger which I was tempted by but it's strawberry jam and I didn't trust them not to over-jam it. I've had peanut butter by itself on a burger before and it was actually good, I would recommend it.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
@PunkyMonkey thank you for the lovely message, I would say to PM me but no matter how many times people have explained it, I still can't PM anyone! I think I joined too late?

@discokebab cherry pie, what on earth, that sounds like a crime! This place I ordered from does a peanut butter and jam burger which I was tempted by but it's strawberry jam and I didn't trust them not to over-jam it. I've had peanut butter by itself on a burger before and it was actually good, I would recommend it.

My memory didn't serve me entirely correct, the burger is even more batshit than I remembered. I can't even fathom how they veganise this stuff and I've eaten half the menu. Their Kogumaza burger has a peanut-coconut sauce and I wasn't 100% angry about it, but I draw the line at jam in any food stuff

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I've temporarily put an email address in my "about" for you 😘

My memory didn't serve me entirely correct, the burger is even more batshit than I remembered. I can't even fathom how they veganise this stuff and I've eaten half the menu. Their Kogumaza burger has a peanut-coconut sauce and I wasn't 100% angry about it, but I draw the line at jam in any food stuff
I'm hungry 😭

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Thank you for signing up to the Slopbot lewds subscription @PunkyMonkey, he will be in contact soon.

That burger is mental, what even is flanned apple? Google thinks I mean flannel apple which makes about as much sense.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Thanks for trying @Falkor it’s March next week so not long to go til lambs!

Have got into goats lately am thinking of moving to Llandudno tbh
That was one of my favourite stories from last year! I didn’t realise they‘d come back!
When lockdown is over one of my dreams is to visit Wales, not even kidding (pardon the pun).

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
Thank you for signing up to the Slopbot lewds subscription @PunkyMonkey, he will be in contact soon.

That burger is mental, what even is flanned apple? Google thinks I mean flannel apple which makes about as much sense.
It took me too long to notice there is a picture of the burger at the top of the page - it looks like the apple is sot of heaty-through but not grilled? Their burgers of the month are usually some special kind of WTF. This is very similar to the best one I ever had
Cracking beer selection as well.

Although I will say that their vegan patties are not my faves - they are quite crumbly compared to your Beyond Meat etc. I usually swap out for the fakey chicken burger rather than power through.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.