Food and Drink #16 Liedown larder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Falkor - congrats on the lamb success! Little tup managed the deed after all 😂
@EddieBeds - happy belated birthday! ❤

It is pretty damn cold here in the sticks today, my washing machine and dishwasher are refusing to work as their water inlets are frozen 😑. We are also low on heating oil so I'm hoping our delivery comes soon 😬.
Snow is pretty though, makes our wild garden look a lot nicer!

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Found a website earlier along the same lines of the window swap one so thought I'd share - https://driveandlisten.herokuapp.com/ - pretty cool, takes you on a virtual car ride through cities of your choice with local radio playing! I've been to Delhi, Melbourne and Johannesburg today!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
@Bumbear that pizza looks amazing :eek:

so jealous of all these snow pics!! I looked after my 2.5 year old niece today while my sister is in hospital with new baby and she was so impressed by the the amount of crappy gritty snow on the pavement that she could stamp her feet on. Kept saying 'oh it's so MAGICAL'! i love toddlers so much - such a joy to be around!

Made ramen tonight, was lovely and creamy from blending some roasted sweet potatoes and adding to the broth and making a tare of miso and chinese sesame paste. Two very different versions for kid and adults!

Attachments

• Heart
  • Haha
@Falkor bonus sheep news, I can’t believe the Ewerythmics have been getting double dinners from a kind lady who thought they were preggers! I blame that 406 myself. Nibbles is looking pleased to see you. Is April going to have a lamb?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Lovely sheep update!

I’ll try and remember to take some snow photos tomorrow. I love the snow but I’m not happy that it decided to drop just as my annual leave ended!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I'm loving seeing all your gorgeous snow photos, more please! It was a very dull but windy 20 degrees here today but we are forecast strong winds tomorrow 🌬
Baby Joe is 7 months old now and determined that he can walk.
Omg can’t believe we were on here when he was born and now he’s a grown man 😭😭😭 how gorgeous

Found a website earlier along the same lines of the window swap one so thought I'd share - https://driveandlisten.herokuapp.com/ - pretty cool, takes you on a virtual car ride through cities of your choice with local radio playing! I've been to Delhi, Melbourne and Johannesburg today!
Oh I had such a funny conversation about the window swap the other day, my daughter told my ex I had an app that was a nosy camera and could see into other peoples houses 😬 took some explaining 🥴

• Haha
  • Heart
  • Wow
@Bumbear that pizza looks amazing :eek:

so jealous of all these snow pics!! I looked after my 2.5 year old niece today while my sister is in hospital with new baby and she was so impressed by the the amount of crappy gritty snow on the pavement that she could stamp her feet on. Kept saying 'oh it's so MAGICAL'! i love toddlers so much - such a joy to be around!

Made ramen tonight, was lovely and creamy from blending some roasted sweet potatoes and adding to the broth and making a tare of miso and chinese sesame paste. Two very different versions for kid and adults!
This looks incredible! Recipe please ❤

Reactions: 6
@Falkor bonus sheep news, I can’t believe the Ewerythmics have been getting double dinners from a kind lady who thought they were preggers! I blame that 406 myself. Nibbles is looking pleased to see you. Is April going to have a lamb?
They're a crafty bunch! I put them back in with the rest last night, Joyce is popping up with some leftover fluke and worm stuff that's going to go out of date before she needs it again, which is really kind of her because it means I don't have to brave the roads into town. -7C according to my weather app and we're not too far from Altnaharra, which was mentioned on the news this morning as being the coldest place in the UK last night at -15.1C. Two of the three roads south to Inverness are shut because they're impassable and the third, the A9, has got a few lorries stuck on it at the bottom of hills but is just about passable with care. It means we're all pretty much cut off from a major hospital now until this clears.

I haven't checked marks properly yet, but I think from a quick look when I put them back in the field yesterday that April and Little Nine are both having a single lamb.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
This looks incredible! Recipe please ❤
I always make my ramen differently with different flavourings etc but this is how I did it last night!

I basically read this recipe, thought 'that sounds delicious but i can't be arsed to do all that' and massively simplified it!

-Line the grill with foil and add an 2 onions sliced in half, 5-6 big slices of ginger and a whole garlic bulb and drizzle with a bit of oil

- grill until the onion is almost completely black and collapsing

-Add the charred veg to a large pot with a piece of cleaned kombu (dried seaweed), a handful of dried mushrooms and a few roughly chopped spring onions.

-Cover with an inch of water, bring to the boil and add a sachet of dashi (Japanese fish-based stock, you don't have to use it but it adds so much depth!) and simmer for an hour and a half.

-While the stock is simmering chop up 2 medium sweet potatoes into around 2cm dice, cover with oil and a sprinkle of salt and roast at 190 for about 20-30 mins

-When the stock has simmered, strain into a new pot and discard all the veg except the garlic bulb

-Take a big handful of the roasted sweet potato and add to a blender along side a cup of the stock and the squeezed out garlic from the bulb, blend until smooth then add back into the stock pot

-To make the tare, in a small bowl add 3 tablespoons light soy sauce, 3 tablespoons mirin, 4 tablespoons white miso, 4 tablespoons of chinese sesame paste (or tahini) and 1 minced garlic clove and whisk until completely smooth.

-At this point I prep all my ramen toppings, for me this was: noodles cooked and drained, pak choy, sweetcorn, kimchi, thinly sliced spring onions, roasted sweet potato, chilli oil, sesame seeds, tograshi for sprinkling on top and a ramen egg for Mr Blurst!

-Portion the tare between 4 bowls then add the hot stock to each bowl, whisking until completely smooth. Add your ramen toppings of choice and enjoy!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I have snow envy😀. It feels like-7 where I live. Wish I’d done the shopping yesterday!
The chihuahua is refusing to go out for a wee until he is desperate.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
moody shot of the snow yesterday from my bedroom window 📐 and the fog over the hill

20210208_163204.jpg

bright sunshine right now, but could be more on the way.

I remembered not to go to work for the last week and today's my last day off. we had a leak in the bathroom which kinda ruined it though. water got into the bedroom, the living room and both downstairs neighbours! great fun! 😬

• Heart
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
I always make my ramen differently with different flavourings etc but this is how I did it last night!

I basically read this recipe, thought 'that sounds delicious but i can't be arsed to do all that' and massively simplified it!

-Line the grill with foil and add an 2 onions sliced in half, 5-6 big slices of ginger and a whole garlic bulb and drizzle with a bit of oil

- grill until the onion is almost completely black and collapsing

-Add the charred veg to a large pot with a piece of cleaned kombu (dried seaweed), a handful of dried mushrooms and a few roughly chopped spring onions.

-Cover with an inch of water, bring to the boil and add a sachet of dashi (Japanese fish-based stock, you don't have to use it but it adds so much depth!) and simmer for an hour and a half.

-While the stock is simmering chop up 2 medium sweet potatoes into around 2cm dice, cover with oil and a sprinkle of salt and roast at 190 for about 20-30 mins

-When the stock has simmered, strain into a new pot and discard all the veg except the garlic bulb

-Take a big handful of the roasted sweet potato and add to a blender along side a cup of the stock and the squeezed out garlic from the bulb, blend until smooth then add back into the stock pot

-To make the tare, in a small bowl add 3 tablespoons light soy sauce, 3 tablespoons mirin, 4 tablespoons white miso, 4 tablespoons of chinese sesame paste (or tahini) and 1 minced garlic clove and whisk until completely smooth.

-At this point I prep all my ramen toppings, for me this was: noodles cooked and drained, pak choy, sweetcorn, kimchi, thinly sliced spring onions, roasted sweet potato, chilli oil, sesame seeds, tograshi for sprinkling on top and a ramen egg for Mr Blurst!

-Portion the tare between 4 bowls then add the hot stock to each bowl, whisking until completely smooth. Add your ramen toppings of choice and enjoy!
Thank you so much!

Reactions: 7
No snow here, so no pix but I'm after some advice.
Do any of you use a spice grinder? If so are there any, in particular, you'd recommend?
I've been looking at coffee grinders and actual spice grinders but have become overwhelmed with the choice.
Thank you, in advance, for any pointers.

Reactions: 7
Living viariously through all these gorgeous snow photos - no snow but just cold af here and I am surrounded by buildings all around. 😭 I really need some vast open space and some empty distance to stare into for several hours.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
@TurnedUpInTipp I have this Krups one: link

I've been using it for a few years now and it's pretty good, very efficient although it doesn't have a huge capacity but that's only annoying when I'm grinding up an entire pack of linseeds at once.

Reactions: 4
I use that grinder for coffee. It’s good. Too lazy to clean it well enough to grind spices in it and then clean it again but it makes quick work of coffee beans!

Reactions: 6
Thank you whoever recommended The Green Roasting Tin. I bought it for my husbands birthday last week and had our first meal from it today - sticky rice with butternut squash, broccoli, ginger and chilli. Very delicious!

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.