Food and Drink #16 Liedown larder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve missed this thread omg hello guys 🥰🥰🥰

Just had some of the vegetarian butcher good karma schwarma with salad and chips - it was okay but at points it did taste a bit synthetic. Has anyone had the Nando’s vegan wrap? It’s a pea protein they say is like chicken, it’s a really nice wrap but the texture is nothing like chicken it’s more tofu-y, wonder if that bothers people?

Did husband one of those Charlie Bingham fish pies cos he won’t eat fake meat, but feeling like HNWI Jack Monroe 💅🏻
Just popping in to say we tried some vegetarian butcher pig out sausages and they were lovely. Have a nice Sunday Frauen!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
It is flipping freezing out there. The ladies are all back in one field opposite the sheep pens where they'll be scanned tomorrow, much happy baaaing from April and co when they realised it was their sisters coming down the road :) Waiting to see if Loppy, Nibbles and 406 turn up with the flock they've settled near or whether I'll have to go and grab them separately- they don't need a scan, but I might as well dose everybody for worms and liver fluke next week while I've got them in, so they'll need to be done at the same time.

Hoping desperately this isn't a massive anticlimax tomorrow with none of them in lamb because the little Shetland didn't manage to tup them properly! Fingers crossed. Scanner should be here around midday and we have at least 300 sheep to work through, not sure where in the order I am though.

View attachment 423326
This photo is so beautiful I could see it as a painting 😍 good luck!! I imagine your sheep having lambs will be a super busy time? But I hope in a few months time we see cute lambs on here 👀

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I’m going for a long walk today, I’ve had such a heavy period I’ve been wiped out and think it will do me good. No snow here just rain for days and it’s finally let up. Having ham & cheese toastie first I’ve become somewhat addicted. Beautiful scenery falkor just dreamy

• Heart
Reactions: 24
It is flipping freezing out there. The ladies are all back in one field opposite the sheep pens where they'll be scanned tomorrow, much happy baaaing from April and co when they realised it was their sisters coming down the road :) Waiting to see if Loppy, Nibbles and 406 turn up with the flock they've settled near or whether I'll have to go and grab them separately- they don't need a scan, but I might as well dose everybody for worms and liver fluke next week while I've got them in, so they'll need to be done at the same time.

Hoping desperately this isn't a massive anticlimax tomorrow with none of them in lamb because the little Shetland didn't manage to tup them properly! Fingers crossed. Scanner should be here around midday and we have at least 300 sheep to work through, not sure where in the order I am though.

View attachment 423326
From the comfort of my warm house the snow looks lovely. Hope you have lots of good news about lambs.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find where, so apologies for repeating! Turkish cookbooks - anyone have any recommendations? Mr NT wants to add some different dishes to our meal plans, we both enjoy Turkish food but it's not a cuisine I've much experience with, so definitely one I need a decent book or two on.
I don’t have any myself (love Turkish food but am a bore in the kitchen), but I remember it being discussed a few threads back, as you say. Think there were a few suggestions at the time:

If you scroll down a few posts, you’ll see ’em

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I don’t have any myself (love Turkish food but am a bore in the kitchen), but I remember it being discussed a few threads back, as you say. Think there were a few suggestions at the time:

If you scroll down a few posts, you’ll see ’em
Thanks Marmite, I knew it had been covered somewhere!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Have a look at Claudia Roden’s books as she has written extensively about Middle Eastern food from all over.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Good afternoon fraus. Mostly been lurking lately. Stepped back from the MT after the old friend made an appearance and it made me feel a bit uncomfortable. Just wanted to pop in and say hello! Don’t have much to add to the book chat. Went through a stage years ago of reading loads when I got a Kindle but for the past couple of years every time I try to sit down to a book in the evening my brain gets distracted or I fall asleep! Also need to find a good series to watch. Waiting for The Walking Dead and This Is Us to return so until then I’ve been watching random films, most of them a bit tit.
Sundays are lazy days in this house. So far today I’ve cooked and eaten a roast dinner and had a long nap!

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Evening all

Had a lovely day yesterday in the garden before this crappy storm arrived. It was date night #6 last night and my turn - I made a bit of a mistake as wasn't really paying attention with the old lactose in making this. My guts (from the milk in the roux) have been complaining on top of period pains :(.

Mr BB also said it had too much white sauce, so overall not my finest hour! I bought the spinach gnocchi from Waitrose and they were good so will get again, but with something lighter next time. I added some shallots and saucisson and the cheeses were mozza, gorgonzola, fontina and cheddar.

For any of you Frauen who love Agatha Christie, there is an amazing podcast called 'All About Agatha' - I found it this time last year and I've re-read all the books and short stories in order along with it. It started in 2016 and I'm now about to start Dead Man's Folly - I should be in real-time with them later in Spring (I'm a fast reader so I can easily get through a couple of books a week). Honestly it's the perfect tonic to exit the pandemic and go back into a different time.

Just about to start on the Serpent in a moment, once I've caught up on Neighbours (another dirty secret of mine).

Love to all. xxx

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Thanks @Bumbear for the podcast recommendation, it sounds very interesting! I've liked most of her books I've read so far and they're perfect for a light read but some of the later ones are a bit ...strange.

On the weather front, this is what my weather app was telling me this morning. I went out for a walk and had 40+mph winds blowing snow in my eyes 😨

Screenshot_20210207-105059_Weather.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 10
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find where, so apologies for repeating! Turkish cookbooks - anyone have any recommendations? Mr NT wants to add some different dishes to our meal plans, we both enjoy Turkish food but it's not a cuisine I've much experience with, so definitely one I need a decent book or two on.
Try Istanbul&Beyond by Robyn Eckhardt, My Mother's Kitchen by Mercan Tucker, Turkish Cookbook by Musa Dagdeviran. Also check youtube! Best guide there is. Let me know if you're looking for a specific recipe! I might be able to find a source that will help.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Thanks @Bumbear for the podcast recommendation, it sounds very interesting! I've liked most of her books I've read so far and they're perfect for a light read but some of the later ones are a bit ...strange.

On the weather front, this is what my weather app was telling me this morning. I went out for a walk and had 40+mph winds blowing snow in my eyes 😨

View attachment 424007
@traumatised sideboard I have 19 novels left and they're all the later ones from the 50s onwards - I know they did start to deteriorate after a point so not sure how many are left now that will be classics...anyway - going to plough on through with them to the end. I literally haven't read another author for a year now.

Last Jan I started on Rebus from book 1 but TBH I couldn't deal with the grittiness during the early pandemic when I had zero client work for 6 months. It was much better for me to escape to the 1920s! I think I only got as far as book 4 before I switched so I've got plenty of that left to return to...

Reactions: 11
@Bumbear You may have already come across it, but I thoroughly recommend Shedunnit podcast. The podcaster is super knowledgeable and very calming to listen to. It was my favourite for lockdown walks back in the summer.

• Heart
@Bumbear You may have already come across it, but I thoroughly recommend Shedunnit podcast. The podcaster is super knowledgeable and very calming to listen to. It was my favourite for lockdown walks back in the summer.
Brill thanks I've just subscribed. I see she has just had the owners of 'All About Agatha' on her own podcast in December 2020!

I made two vegetable pies for tea tonight. One without cheese as my son doesn’t like cooked cheese. Just what I wanted on a cold day.

Reactions: 9
Evening Frauen. I’ve had a decadent day of food (it’s my birthday), started with croissants, then smoked salmon for lunch and steak for dinner.

MrEddieBeds ‘made’ the croissants aka from the ‘Jus-Rol’ but got a bit confused...JM would be proud no doubt. Made me chuckle more than it probably should have!

2CB29046-EBF7-42D5-B8D7-DC483E5C364B.jpeg

Had an amazing fudgy chocolate cake - vegan (still milk/soy and now egg free due to BabyBeds). Have some left over steak but no idea what to do with it - I’m not keen on cold steak so a steak sandwich is out of the question but also don’t potentially want to cook and make it tough as old boots!

ETA: Recipe for the cake - though it was a just a non-butter butter icing as BabyBeds reacted when I had coconut milk once so stay clear of it currently.

9A0B8703-F97A-4471-B692-C8AAABA2DA68.jpeg
5D941629-E2D9-4032-87B5-FD384FB291D7.jpeg

D0041369-D308-43AB-94B5-A0564432BC7E.jpeg

I know others have said this (and more) already but finding this lockdown so hard - it just feels never ending. And I say this with the privilege of having bubbled with my parents so at least have some support in place but it’s still so tit. BabyBeds has been full on with the reflux/allergies/feeding issues but feel we’ve turned a corner of sorts (and he’s finally putting on weight/keeping it on and generally happier in himself though teeth are now in the mix!) - my anxiety than taps away and I get scared I’m tempting the universe saying that and it will throw something else my way. And it’s just exhausting trying to challenge that to keep my head in the right place sometimes.

But it’s (Covid/lockdown etc) all a massive head duck and feels so claustrophobic just not knowing what the pathway out of this lockdown is. Sorry I know I’m not saying anything new but just blurgh. Also MrEddieBeds put on a film about the Kursk submarine disaster (so sad 😭) and I probably should have gone and watched something else.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
Happy birthday eddiebeds!! Your food looks lovely wow you did really well there I’ve never done jus roll croissants but they’re giving my life I might have a go 🤣 it will be spring soon so hopefully we will start to feel things turning a corner and getting brighter

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Evening Frauen. I’ve had a decadent day of food (it’s my birthday), started with croissants, then smoked salmon for lunch and steak for dinner.

MrEddieBeds ‘made’ the croissants aka from the ‘Jus-Rol’ but got a bit confused...JM would be proud no doubt. Made me chuckle more than it probably should have!

View attachment 424510

Had an amazing fudgy chocolate cake - vegan (still milk/soy and now egg free due to BabyBeds). Have some left over steak but no idea what to do with it - I’m not keen on cold steak so a steak sandwich is out of the question but also don’t potentially want to cook and make it tough as old boots!

I know others have said this (and more) already but finding this lockdown so hard - it just feels never ending. And I say this with the privilege of having bubbled with my parents so at least have some support in place but it’s still so tit. BabyBeds has been full on with the reflux/allergies/feeding issues but feel we’ve turned a corner of sorts (and he’s finally putting on weight/keeping it on and generally happier in himself though teeth are now in the mix!) - my anxiety than taps away and I get scared I’m tempting the universe saying that and it will throw something else my way. And it’s just exhausting trying to challenge that to keep my head in the right place sometimes.

But it’s (Covid/lockdown etc) all a massive head duck and feels so claustrophobic just not knowing what the pathway out of this lockdown is. Sorry I know I’m not saying anything new but just blurgh. Also MrEddieBeds put on a film about the Kursk submarine disaster (so sad 😭) and I probably should have gone and watched something else.
Happy EB day! Film choice definitely sounds like a head duck. Lovely looking cake though 😋

My sister used to spend ages making those Jus Rol dough triangles into fancy arty scenes when we were kids, then she’d be raging when they came out as half-raw half-burnt indescribable blobs. Mr Ed’s done a good job, I’d say!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Happy birthday Eddie! Happy age of Aquarius to you.
Cake looks fudgy and delicious. Hip
Hip hooray! 🎈🎂

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.