Flop pop acts from the 90s and 00s.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Had completely forgotten about this song and artist! She always made me think of Bacardi Breezers

Another flop girl group from the early 00s - Fem@il. Flee Fly Flo got to number 46

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
Ooh maybe one of you will know! This has bugged me for literally years.

When I was really young in the 1990s I remember listening to a cassette (lol) of one of the Now That's What I Call Music series. There was a group who's name totally escapes me and I was obsessed with the track on the tape. I remember reading the sleeve note and it said one of the group had died in a car crash. I'm sure it was a group of 2 men and 2 women, and I *think* it was one of the girls who sadly passed. Does anyone know who this is?

To summarise, I don't know the year, the group name, the song name or the album name so if you solve this puzzle I will love you forever.

When I was really young in the 1990s I remember listening to a cassette (lol) of one of the Now That's What I Call Music series. There was a group who's name totally escapes me and I was obsessed with the track on the tape. I remember reading the sleeve note and it said one of the group had died in a car crash. I'm sure it was a group of 2 men and 2 women, and I *think* it was one of the girls who sadly passed. Does anyone know who this is?

To summarise, I don't know the year, the group name, the song name or the album name so if you solve this puzzle I will love you forever.
I've been googling and have no idea. The only ones coming up are London boys and viola beach.

is it Shiva?

Reactions: 3
Dream - He Loves U Not

I remember them being so aggressive in their dancing/lip syncing in the video lol. It was on The Box channel allll the time.
I liked this song at the time and remember being surprised when it flopped (I think it only made top 20 in UK, but was a huge hit in the US). Although I listened to it again recently and didn't like it any more. I think they were signed to a record deal by P Diddy.

I've been googling and have no idea. The only ones coming up are London boys and viola beach.
I hadn't heard of London Boys before someone mentioned them in this thread, they were before my time. I read their story and oh what a tragedy.:( :cry:

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I will say that I haven't read the whole thread, so these two might have been mentioned, and maybe flop is over stating it, in both cases, but Amy Studt and Sandi Thom¹ never really lived up to the hype:

Of course, the one from this kind of thing that did do well was Amy MacDonald, who it must be said is amazing.

¹I intentionally didn't go with I wish I was a Punk Rocker because I think Saturday Night is a better song.

Reactions: 9
I will say that I haven't read the whole thread, so these two might have been mentioned, and maybe flop is over stating it, in both cases, but Amy Studt and Sandi Thom¹ never really lived up to the hype:

Of course, the one from this kind of thing that did do well was Amy MacDonald, who it must be said is amazing.

¹I intentionally didn't go with I wish I was a Punk Rocker because I think Saturday Night is a better song.
Re Amy Studt, I liked "Just A Little Girl". I remember Misfit being a hit, but her career seemed to fizzle out

Reactions: 5
I was obsessed with this 😂

Ah I love this one!!!

Does anyone remember Rollergirl? She had a song called Superstar which was played a lot in clubs, I thought it would be huge but it didn’t even chart. Her only “hit” was a cover of Dear Jessie which got to 22 in the charts.

Reactions: 1
I don't expect anyone to know this but Those2Girls, total failure, only one single back in 1995, I was GIVEN
a copy when I was at delivering to BMG.

Five Star a flop?? are you kidding?
I remember Those2Girls one of them was Denise Van Outen 😂

Reactions: 2
Oh this thread if just 👌👌

Anyone remember the summer bop 'Summertime girls' by LFO the lyrics were like 'new kids on the block had a bunch of hits, Chinese food makes me sick...she looks like a girl from Abercrombie and Fitch'
They were another Lou Pearlman boy band in the late 90s. Sad that 2 of 3 of them have now passed.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
Oooh I loved Amy Studt’s songs. I remember seeing her advertised to perform at the local student union a few years later. I wonder if it’s strange for musicians to go from small time stuff then seeing their face EVERYWHERE for a few weeks and then back to doing small time stuff again. Do they spend the rest of forever chasing the high? Or get a normal job?

Reactions: 5
Anyone remember the summer bop 'Summertime girls' by LFO the lyrics were like 'new kids on the block had a bunch of hits, Chinese food makes me sick...she looks like a girl from Abercrombie and Fitch'
So that's where Eminem got those lines in the song Marshall Mathers from.

(very NSFW)

Spoilered, because, well, it's Marshall Mathers LP era Eminem:

New Kids on the Block / sucked a lot of dick / Boy and girl groups make me sick / And I can't wait 'til I catch all you faggots in public / I'ma love it

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Gabriella Cilmi - Sweet About Me
Diana Vickers - Once
The Yeah Yous - 15 Minutes (absolute tune btw)
Junior Senior - Move Your Feet

Reactions: 6