Flop pop acts from the 90s and 00s.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Don’t know if they’ve been mentioned
Zoe-sunshine on a rainy day
The Tamparer & maya?-Feel it
They Might Be Giants-birdhouse something
All good tunes. Where did they go?
They Might Be Giants - Birdhouse In Your Soul

They’ve released loads of albums and singles. Including one last year! But Birdhouse was their biggest hit.

Reactions: 3
where have all the cowboys gone can’t remember who sang that
Paula Cole sang where have all the cowboys gone . She did the Dawson's Creek theme too.

They might be giants did the Malcolm in the middle theme.

Since I found this thread I've been trying to think of this singer I used to love in the late 90s, think he only had a few songs and wasn't very big. Was certain he was called Justin but when I looked through a list of every singer ever beginning with J he wasn't on it. Joe McElderry and Jake Quickenden were on it so I'm beginning to think he might not be called Justin 😂
From what I remember he was mixed race and young, maybe 15-18. Can't even remember how the song went, it's really bugging me now!
It wasn't Finley Quaye was it? Although I don't remember him being that young.

OMG I've finally found him!!! By trawling through all now that's what I call music starting at 35.
And I was right he's Scottish.
Never done a link before so hope it works...

Reactions: 6
T.A.T.U. were the Russians pretending to be lesbians. I did think of them but that song was great so didn’t think they were a flop. Sure they tried to release another song though and it went nowhere.
why do I remember watching them perform at Eurovision Song Contest? Not "All The Things She Said" but another song from their album "Not gonna get us" or something like that.

The Moffatts? Think they were brought out to rival Hanson. I saw them on Blue Peter, Live & Kicking (or whatever Sat morning show was on at the time).

Meredith Brooks - she had a big hit with "witch". I actually had the album that was on but found some of the songs very same-y - beginning with same chords etc. But some of the songs were decent. No idea if she released any more albums.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
why do I remember watching them perform at Eurovision Song Contest? Not "All The Things She Said" but another song from their album "Not gonna get us" or something like that.

The Moffatts? Think they were brought out to rival Hanson. I saw them on Blue Peter, Live & Kicking (or whatever Sat morning show was on at the time).

Meredith Brooks - she had a big hit with "witch". I actually had the album that was on but found some of the songs very same-y - beginning with same chords etc. But some of the songs were decent. No idea if she released any more albums.
Because they were in the Eurovision Song Contest 😂😂😂 Ne Ver Ne Boisia. I’ll always remember Terry sounding unimpressed by them.

• Haha
Yup 🤣

Loved a1 and went to many a roadshow stalking them 🤣🤣

Still follow them all on Instagram, Ben's missus has just had a baby and they live in Norway, Paul lives in the North East with his wife and kids (his dad used to run a pub in Whitby, and Paul dj'ed there), Christian is doing loads of solo stuff and Mark is still single and in panto (I'm convinced he's gay... and nothing wrong with that!).

Saw Mark in a touring musical a couple of years ago - A Spoonful of Sugar (about the Sherman Bros). It was actually very good and I did indeed fangirl when I met him at the stagedoor, despite being in my 30s 😅🙈😔🤣

In terms of 90s bands - does anyone remember OTT, Mero and the girl band Solid Harmonie?
We may well have been at the same roadshows! i used to follow OTT around everywhere!

She did and the first single of second album featured Queen Latifah at a time when rap features where not common. The album wasn't bad but it just didn't have anything on there as radio worthy as witch. Dr Phil chose her to do the theme song to his show which should have been a bit of clue to were she leaned politically. These days she just tweets pro Trump and anti vax stuff.

I liked that Dream song. A few years ago one of the members claimed to have been sexually assaulted years prior by Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys. I think the case didn't go anywhere due to lack of evidence.

Haven't read through all the pages yet so they might have been mentioned already but... London boys? Anybody remember them?
Yes. I remembered them vaguely from the time, and then I went on a journey of musical re-discovery during the first lockdown. I love them, their songs, their dancing, their outfits. I think they were originally from down my way in London.

Tragically they both died, along with one of their wives (the guys weren’t a gay couple, much to some people’s surprise!), in a car crash in Austria in the 90s. Both the guys had kids too. So sad.

This is my fave song and performance of theirs:

• Heart
These are bringing back such memories.
Len- Steal my sunshine. That was a good tune
Ann Lee -2 times. I still play that to cheer myself up
And this

Reactions: 7
Republica.
'Ready to go' was a flop but was massive in adverts.
Hated that song.
Followed by an equally terrible song 'Drop Dead Gorgeous'.

Shame the songs were so dire, they could've done much better.

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned, olive reminds me of working in a really dodgy shops. Kinda like home bargains but dirty and nasty. If your from Manchester it was in Piccadilly plaza .

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Republica.
'Ready to go' was a flop but was massive in adverts.
Hated that song.
Followed by an equally terrible song 'Drop Dead Gorgeous'.

Shame the songs were so dire, they could've done much better.
Ready To Go on its re-release reached No13 & Drop Dead Gorgeous reached No7 so not total flops

Saffron from Republica played Chesney Hawkes’ love interest in the video for The One & Only (the one set in the cinema where they are watching Buddy’s Song, the film the song is featured in)

Reactions: 5