Flop pop acts from the 90s and 00s.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Played everywhere during a holiday Ayia Napa 😕

Still got this single in the CD collection :

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Lots of those aren’t flop acts though? Blue by Eiffel 65 got to #1 for example. I think they even had a follow up single that did pretty well.To me a flop act is a band or singer who’s launched with huge fanfare is everywhere promoting it, but then fail to make much of impact in the charts or live up to the hype. There was a lot of these kind of acts in the 90’s and 00’s because teen pop was huge and everyone was jumping on the bandwagon.

Anyway I’m amazed someone hasn’t mentioned 21st Century Girls yet! 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Republica.
'Ready to go' was a flop but was massive in adverts.
Hated that song.
Followed by an equally terrible song 'Drop Dead Gorgeous'.

Shame the songs were so dire, they could've done much better.
I love both those songs! 😁 I bought their second album which was pretty good. Try Everything was a great single.

Reactions: 4
I think I've asked before on here if one hit wonders constitutes a 'flop'. Maybe we need a separate one hit wonder thread!

Reactions: 1
Ahhh I loved Kristian Leontiou, his third (and final) single was an awesome cover of ‘Fast Car’

Lots of those aren’t flop acts though? Blue by Eiffel 65 got to #1 for example. I think they even had a follow up single that did pretty well.To me a flop act is a band or singer who’s launched with huge fanfare is everywhere promoting it, but then fail to make much of impact in the charts or live up to the hype. There was a lot of these kind of acts in the 90’s and 00’s because teen pop was huge and everyone was jumping on the bandwagon.

I remember them being in Kerrang, and as i was at the height of my angsty goth phase I was so mad that these "posers" were gracing the pages of my beloved Kerrang haha

• Haha
Reactions: 6
ive been listening to some banging spotify playlists because of this thread Someone has put the every top 40 uk hit on year by year.

I'm not sure if its been mentioned but I loved Charles and Eddie: Would I Lie To You?

• Heart
Reactions: 10
ive been listening to some banging spotify playlists because of this thread Someone has put the every top 40 uk hit on year by year.

I'm not sure if its been mentioned but I loved Charles and Eddie: Would I Lie To You?
Loved that song. Had a crush on Charles(or was that Eddie? With the long hair?). The other one died a few years ago :(

• Sad
Reactions: 2

My mum loves that song because she says it was on the radio all the time when she was up doing night feeds with me!

• Heart
Loved that song. Had a crush on Charles(or was that Eddie? With the long hair?). The other one died a few years ago :(
Eddie had the long hair, i googled him and hes quite the attractive older man!! I fancied him as he reminded me of Casey Jones in the Turtles film lol Charles unfortunately passed away.

I think I've asked before on here if one hit wonders constitutes a 'flop'. Maybe we need a separate one hit wonder thread!
There is a one hit wonder thread.

To me, a flop is where an artist/ song or album is highly anticipated and doesn’t live up to it's hype. Or an act who spend their entire career trying to hit the big time and never making it.

Reactions: 3
There is a one hit wonder thread.

To me, a flop is where an artist/ song or album is highly anticipated and doesn’t live up to it's hype. Or an act who spend their entire career trying to hit the big time and never making it.
Yep, that's the intention of this thread, flop acts

Lucie Silvas never really took off. Although I've just read her wikipedia article and she has written a lot of songs for other artists and is still working in the music industry.

I remember 21st Century Girls, they were kind of rocky and different from the other RnB-ish girl groups out at the time and there was a huge publicity push on them at the time but the single flopped and that was the end of them I think

Last edited:
They Might Be Giants - Birdhouse In Your Soul

They’ve released loads of albums and singles. Including one last year! But Birdhouse was their biggest hit.
They also did the theme tune to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Hot dog, hot dog hot diggity dog!

Honeyz had a few hits

The one that comes to mind for me is Precious. Jenny Frost was in that group before she joined Atomic Kitten, they represented UK in the Eurovision Song Contest one year but then it all went nowhere
I watched some of Precious's videos again earlier and their Eurovision performance.

I liked Say It Again, and It's Gonna Be My Way was ok. The 2 other songs were a bit meh... Listening to them again they're going for a Britney Spears/Max Martin sound that was popular at the time

Quite clear from the Eurovision performance that only one girl (Louise?) was carrying the singing, the rest of the vocals sounded poor.

They were quite bland/wooden as a package overall, no fun about them. I don't think the Eurovision was the kiss of death for them, as I don't think they would have made it anyway, the songs didn't stand out enough

One of them, Anya, who was very pretty, used to go out with Duncan from Blue.

I remember them being on SMTV and CDUK a few times

I remember reading years ago that their album had done terrible making some number between 200-400 in the charts? Dunno if that was true though....

21st Century Girls were managed by Simon Fuller. They really should have been massive.

21st Century Girls were managed by Simon Fuller. They really should have been massive.
they kinda went the same way as GirlThing, there was a huge push and tons of money invested in them and they flopped even worse….I think outside the top 10?

Lucie Silvas’ debut album was brilliant and I think it sold quite well but the follow ups….didn’t.