Flop pop acts from the 90s and 00s.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They were famous in the mid-late 80s so probably before your time and don’t fall into the timeline of this thread. They were marketed as the British Jacksons/Jackson 5 as they were all siblings (although they were mixed-sex rather than all male)

Talking of siblings everyone knows Shane from Boyzone’s twin sisters were in B*Witched but another sister of theirs was in a group called Buffalo G who had 1 top 20 hit with Really Saying Something, a cover of the Bananarama song (which itself was a cover of the song by The Velvelettes)

Sticking with the sibling theme Aaron Carter, younger brother of Nick Carter from The Backstreet Boys. Aaron had a couple of top ten hits in the UK then a couple more that hit the top 40. He’s had quite a troubled life in recent years
I remember Buffalo G, in particular I remember one of the sisters from B*Witched (maybe Edel) crying on SMTV after they had performed saying something like "it's my little sister, she's put so much work into it:cry:"

Reactions: 7
Anyone remember 3SL and VS? Think 3SL were brothers of Lisa from Steps and Marvin Humes was in VS but only remember a couple songs each from them!

Reactions: 12
Honeyz had a few hits

The one that comes to mind for me is Precious. Jenny Frost was in that group before she joined Atomic Kitten, they represented UK in the Eurovision Song Contest one year but then it all went nowhere

Reactions: 9
I’ve got 2! Next of kin who were supposed to be a bit like Hanson! I still randomly get this song stuck in my head! I think they went on X factor years later!

And Ultra! I used to love this song so much!

Reactions: 8
Anyone remember 3SL and VS? Think 3SL were brothers of Lisa from Steps and Marvin Humes was in VS but only remember a couple songs each from them!

Simon from Blue was involved with VS. I think he was their manager or something

Talking of Lisa from Steps and 3SL does anyone remember the reality show Totally Scott Lee which followed the Scott Lee family as they went about their day? It was around the time that one of the brothers was in a relationship with Michelle Heaton from Liberty X and Michelle & Lisa hated each other. It was actually quite a funny show

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Simon from Blue was involved with VS. I think he was their manager or something

Talking of Lisa from Steps and 3SL does anyone remember the reality show Totally Scott Lee which followed the Scott Lee family as they went about their day? It was around the time that one of the brothers was in a relationship with Michelle Heaton from Liberty X and Michelle & Lisa hated each other. It was actually quite a funny show
Totally Scott Lee was brilliant, one of the best ever reality shows, showed pure desperation, I watched it again on Youtube recently. Andy went on Pop Idol series 2, dunno what he's up to now

Reactions: 11
I think it depends what you define as a "hit".
For example, Chesney Hawkes had a number one with One and Only, which was a massive hit, but not any other big hits really - but I wouldn't describe him as a "flop act". A1 and Honeyz probably aren't flop acts either, although it's been fun discussing them in the thread.

I was thinking about Kavana earlier, even though he had 2 top number 8s and a few top 20 singles I would probably call him a flop act. He never really made it big, he wasn't a household name, his songs weren't huge at the time, his songs aren't well remembered or played on the radio and whenever he's interviewed he seems to rely on his achievement of winning Best Male at a Smash Hits awards, which isn't that impressive really.

Yes, I fancied him in Corrie and in this video. I liked the follow up single too Everything My Heart Desires
Does anyone recall Upper street ? Made up of Kavana, Dane Bowers and some other boy and OGs. I couldn't tell you one song but remember the TV show was amusing as they were all so arsey with each other!

Reactions: 5
I remember these! "We've got a fuzzbox and we're gonna use it!". I'm sure they still 'tour' ..

Are we including one hit wonders too out of interest?
jo from the band (I think it was her) passed away a few years ago. Vix is still performing and teaches singing I think

Northern Line were shite and corny beyond belief, I remember Run for Your Life too, had a Halloween sort of vibe to it. Elton John lauded them as the new Take That, wtf was he on
One of them (ziggy?) was on big brother years ago

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I think it depends what you define as a "hit".
For example, Chesney Hawkes had a number one with One and Only, which was a massive hit, but not any other big hits really - but I wouldn't describe him as a "flop act". A1 and Honeyz probably aren't flop acts either, although it's been fun discussing them in the thread.
Chesney does have the dubious distinction of Hastings residents objecting to him switching on their Christmas lights as they felt he wasn't famous enough

• Haha
I’ve got 2! Next of kin who were supposed to be a bit like Hanson! I still randomly get this song stuck in my head! I think they went on X factor years later!

And Ultra! I used to love this song so much!
Omg I loved Ultra, I remember skiving School to go to a local HMV signing with them. I remember Next of Kin too, I was trying to think of their band name the other day 🤣

I liked Say It Again
Rewind was also a good one of theirs

Reactions: 4
Ultra had a great song called Say Ya Do - I still listen to it occasionally now!

Upside Down were terrible but I loved them. They couldn’t sing at all and Jamie looked depressed. Giles has had seemingly good success as a writer of the Raven series.

I loved Big Fun in the late 80s but looked them up lately and Jason John is rumoured to be dead! Not confirmed… Also all of them were gay, which shouldn’t surprise me as every childhood male crush I had has turned out to be gay (as am I now!).

Something I would love to have confirmed if anyone can help: I have a memory of Big Fun being on a Saturday morning kids’ show once and Jason was kissing the neck of the female presenter while she was trying to do the link to the next section. I can’t remember the programme or the presenter. I remember even as a young kid thinking it was really awkward but I would now love to know if that is a real memory or if I’ve made it up.

• Haha
Reactions: 6

Although not flops as such…
The original Sugababes line up. How many times did they switch members? 😂 So much lank, greasy hair in the 90s and early 00s era!

Reactions: 10
Marion were one of the forgotten mid 90s indie bands.

A few duff bands I remember were :

Deuce (one of which was Ant Mcpartlins ex Lisa Armstrong).

Faith, Hope and Charity (I think Dani Behr was one third)

Shampoo uh oh we're in trouble (trouble) yeh yeh
I liked Deuce .

Shampoo originally sang the 'delicious ' song Miley Cyrus signs on that perfume ad at the minute.

Crazy for You by Let Loose was a huge hit at the time, it got to number 2 in the charts and was only kept off by Wet Wet Wet‘s ‘Love is all Around which was number 1 forever (or so it seemed) It was always on the radio and is a real forgotten gem of the 90’s IMO. It still sounds good today,

Reactions: 30
Crazy for You by Let Loose was a huge hit at the time, it got to number 2 in the charts and was only kept off by Wet Wet Wet‘s ‘Love is all Around which was number 1 forever (or so it seemed) It was always on the radio and is a real forgotten gem of the 90’s IMO. It still sounds good today,
I love Crazy for You, I still hear it regularly on the radio and sing along to it. I didn't hear the follow up single, not sure why they flopped afterwards

Reactions: 12