Flop pop acts from the 90s and 00s.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I remember that one of the redtop papers ran a story saying that the regular Emmerdale cast complained like crazy about jobs going to Amateurs and non-union 'actors'. I think the guy who played Zac Dingle was mentioned as refusing to speak to any of them off set. I guess that's why the concept was quietly dropped and never repeated.
There was quite a backlash at the time. People saw it unfair to actors who had trained and worked for years for people who won a competition to get a part on one of the nation's leading soaps. There was also a lot of talk about how terrible their acting on the show was in the press.

I saw one of those When TV Goes Horribly Wrong-esque documentaries that talked about it and the talking heads pretty much said the same thing although they much more sympathetic to them in hindsight. It also made clear that the people who won the show were all trained actors, they even spoke to one of them who still works as actor (albeit on stage) who felt they way they were treated was unfair and most budding actors if offered the opportunity to win a role on a TV show would take it.

Reactions: 6
I’ve just lost several minutes to Soapstar Superstar! Good grief.

I’m quite fascinated by Martine McCutcheon. One minute she’s the new Judy Garland and being Liza Minelli’s bridesmaid, the next she’s barely the new Anita Dobson. She seems fairly sanguine about it too, what happened there?!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
What about Brother Beyond? Nathan Moore and the other three that nobody cared about. Pushed relentlessly by the Stock, Aitken & Waterman machine, their first album did OK, but the follow-up sank like a stone.

Nathan Moore is 57 now 🤯

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Not realated to music but anyone remember the flop show Soapstars!? 🤣 they auditioned to be on emmerdale.

wonder if any of them are still acting.

i remember hollyoaks did a similar one but they were actually good
Omg I remember that. You could vote for which dog was the family pet I remember voting and being so happy the dog I voted for won. The cringe 🙈.

• Haha
There was a manufacturered girl group / comedy TV show on channel 5 called Sister Said back in the early 90s, like a really crap S Club 7.
Oh wow I googled this and one of the actresses and totally forgot about a show I watched called 'Is Harry on the boat?' about holiday reps in Ibiza with a v young Danny Dyer and lawyer guy from Hollyoaks 😂🤣 now must find where I can rewatch it. Thank you 😊

Reactions: 1
He also had the song Colourblind which was a chooon!
It really was a great choon. This is a mad opinion and I have yet to meet anyone who agrees but at that time (post pony tail) I thought Darius would have made a great James Bond. Tall, dark, handsome & smooth (assuming he could act).

Who was that blond man with the mullet who auditioned repeatedly for X Factor, and possibly for Pop Idol before that? Wasn't it something like Brendan?

Oh wow I googled this and one of the actresses and totally forgot about a show I watched called 'Is Harry on the boat?' about holiday reps in Ibiza with a v young Danny Dyer and lawyer guy from Hollyoaks 😂🤣 now must find where I can rewatch it. Thank you 😊
I went to school with one of the other girls until she left to go to Sylvia Young or some other stage school. She had a small role in Press Gang and this girl band show.

Reactions: 2
I’ve just lost several minutes to Soapstar Superstar! Good grief.

I’m quite fascinated by Martine McCutcheon. One minute she’s the new Judy Garland and being Liza Minelli’s bridesmaid, the next she’s barely the new Anita Dobson. She seems fairly sanguine about it too, what happened there?!
I found the bridesmaid thing bizarre as well. I thought maybe it was a condition of the OK magazine deal Liza got at the time, Martine might have paid to be featured, she was on the front cover of OK at the wedding.

Wonder do Liza and MMcC still keep in contact

Who was that blond man with the mullet who auditioned repeatedly for X Factor, and possibly for Pop Idol before that? Wasn't it something like Brendan?
I remember him, his second name escapes me. He auditioned over and over for You're A Star (talent show in Ireland) too. He worked in the tax office in Dublin, I used to see him regularly on my lunch break, he was hard to miss with the hair in fairness :ROFLMAO:

I mentioned Kavana earlier in the thread, I thought his songs were rubbish apart from this one which I quite enjoyed:

Reactions: 5
I found the bridesmaid thing bizarre as well. I thought maybe it was a condition of the OK magazine deal Liza got at the time, Martine might have paid to be featured, she was on the front cover of OK at the wedding.

I remember him, his second name escapes me. He auditioned over and over for You're A Star (talent show in Ireland) too. He worked in the tax office in Dublin, I used to see him regularly on my lunch break, he was hard to miss with the hair in fairness :ROFLMAO:

I mentioned Kavana earlier in the thread, I thought his songs were rubbish apart from this one which I quite enjoyed:
I do like his version of I Can Make You Feel Good haha

My favourite flop who I still listen to now is Dum Dums. I met them by accident at an Incubus gig years later and just gushed over how much I loved army of two!

Was his name Brendan something or other ? I've definitely seen him at the bus stop in Dublin with his pony tail !

My favourite flop who I still listen to now is Dum Dums. I met them by accident at an Incubus gig years later and just gushed over how much I loved army of two!
Loved the dumdums! The lead singer had such a good voice - Josh I think was his name? ‘You do something to me’ was another one…..

Daphne and Celeste had a few songs, I remember Ooh Stick You and 🎵U.G.L.Y you ain't got no alibi, you ugly 🎶 😆

Anyone remember the Allstars? They had a CITV show where they would sing their songs.

Daphne and Celeste were bottled off the stage at the Reading Festival, way back in 2000.

I was there somewhere in the crowd, watching the horror unfold. 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Daphne and Celeste were bottled off the stage at the Reading Festival, way back in 2000.

I was there somewhere in the crowd, watching the horror unfold. 😆
I read that they were sort of set up for the crowd to heckle them. They were bullied as entertainment.

I thought I was such a cool indie kid as a teenager, but I loved this song! 🙈

(edited to add, this was co-written by Pam Sheyne, who also co-wrote Genie In A Bottle!j

Whoever posted the Damage video earlier for ”Love II Love”, thank you! I think it still sounds great today!

• Heart